Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 834735 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3840 on: March 7, 2021, 09:00:11 pm »
P&I Sports mentioned earlier was owned by Phil Thompson and Ian Callaghan.

Ah and City Pets, boss place belonging in the same pantheon of great old shops such as Hobbies, Stan Catchpoles Model World, Jack Sharps, Philips Son and Nephew etc.

I used to think that Philips, Son and Nephew were related to Ashe and Nephew, the off licence chain.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3841 on: March 8, 2021, 03:19:05 pm »
 :o

1990..name that club?
Not much to go on..no cheating!

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3842 on: March 8, 2021, 04:58:13 pm »
:o

1990..name that club?
Not much to go on..no cheating!

Sloans?

Plus, here's a couple of images of the Liverpool Blitz that give context to your first picture. It shows the old Custom's House at the end of the now vanished Lower Castle Street - or was it Upper Castle Street?  It's roughly where the police station and the bus station are now.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3843 on: March 8, 2021, 05:08:52 pm »
Sloans?

Plus, here's a couple of images of the Liverpool Blitz that give context to your first picture. It shows the old Custom's House at the end of the now vanished Lower Castle Street - or was it Upper Castle Street?  It's roughly where the police station and the bus station are now.

I'd love to know if the rumour is true that Hitler ordered the Luftwaffe to NOT bomb the Liver Buildings as he loved them so much.

This is the Huskisson Dock after the ammunition ship SS Malakand exploded when a burning barrage balloon fell on it

« Last Edit: March 8, 2021, 05:10:23 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3844 on: March 8, 2021, 05:43:59 pm »
Not Sloans..the walls/ceiling may be a clue..

Insane the bomb damage we took here during the war..when I was converting my loft I discovered lots of charred timbers & repairs made after our street was whacked.
Imagine living thro that!  :o

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3845 on: March 8, 2021, 06:05:53 pm »
I'd love to know if the rumour is true that Hitler ordered the Luftwaffe to NOT bomb the Liver Buildings as he loved them so much.

He clearly had no qualms about bombing his brother's house on Upper Stanhope Street. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3846 on: March 8, 2021, 06:19:20 pm »
Not Sloans..the walls/ceiling may be a clue..

Insane the bomb damage we took here during the war..when I was converting my loft I discovered lots of charred timbers & repairs made after our street was whacked.
Imagine living thro that!  :o

My Nan was terrified of thunder and used to hide under the table or in the cloakroom, she used to drag me and our kid with her and my Mum got annoyed. I never twigged until someone on here said something, she was obviously suffering from some form of PTSD and was reliving the Blitz. She once left the house with two of my aunties, will have been 1940 or 41, got to the top of the street and a bomb blew her house apart. My Grandad also got blown into the back bedroom from the front door when a bomb hit the other side of the street while home on leave. They were bombed out twice in total.

My Grandad in uniform

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3847 on: March 8, 2021, 06:20:05 pm »
He clearly had no qualms about bombing his brother's house on Upper Stanhope Street. ;D

:lmao

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3848 on: March 8, 2021, 07:20:46 pm »
My Nan was terrified of thunder and used to hide under the table or in the cloakroom, she used to drag me and our kid with her and my Mum got annoyed. I never twigged until someone on here said something, she was obviously suffering from some form of PTSD and was reliving the Blitz. She once left the house with two of my aunties, will have been 1940 or 41, got to the top of the street and a bomb blew her house apart. My Grandad also got blown into the back bedroom from the front door when a bomb hit the other side of the street while home on leave. They were bombed out twice in total.

My Grandad in uniform

Aye.  My mum and dad had a few stories about the war; although they were mostly too young to really remember it, the years after with a city in ruins must have been a crazy place to grow up in.

EDIT: I should have said, lovely picture of your grandad.  My own grandad fought in Africa.  My nan gave his medals to her grandson Gary, my Dad's nephew.  But he died young of cancer, like his mum, my dad's sister.  His wife ended up with the medals but she got into a new relationship.  We never knew what happened to them.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 8, 2021, 08:24:28 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3849 on: March 9, 2021, 07:46:04 am »
Not Sloans..this place was my Wednesday go to gaff for a while, used to be out every night at one stage back in the day, fuck knows how I used to get up for work..only once I've ever missed work for a hangover, still think I was poisoned that night!  :D

Great pic that Rob..me Gan (grandad on me arl fellas side) was in the RA in north Africa, pretty sure we have a pic somewhere where he is on a camel with the pyramids in the background..he got captured & spent a few years in (will have to check) Stalag 8b, one of me brothers still has all the letters sent to me Nan from him or vice versa/both..half were scrubbed out/edited I believe, can't bring meself to read them.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3850 on: March 9, 2021, 09:16:54 am »
Not Sloans..this place was my Wednesday go to gaff for a while, used to be out every night at one stage back in the day, fuck knows how I used to get up for work..only once I've ever missed work for a hangover, still think I was poisoned that night!  :D

Great pic that Rob..me Gan (grandad on me arl fellas side) was in the RA in north Africa, pretty sure we have a pic somewhere where he is on a camel with the pyramids in the background..he got captured & spent a few years in (will have to check) Stalag 8b, one of me brothers still has all the letters sent to me Nan from him or vice versa/both..half were scrubbed out/edited I believe, can't bring meself to read them.

Back in the 70's my Dad had a mate from Triumph who lived in Tuebrook. Us kids would all be left at their house and the adults would all piss off to the Coconut Grove. Their teenage daughter "looked after me" quite a lot while they were out ;D

Both my Grandads served in NA, might have even known each other, but never met after the war as both died before my parents met. They bought came through it, but one of my great uncles got captured by the Japanese in the Far East and suffered horrendously. He could never climb stairs after he came home, as all he could see was the camp commander stood at the top of the stairs and remembered the brutality they suffered.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3851 on: March 9, 2021, 10:30:58 am »
Back in the 70's my Dad had a mate from Triumph who lived in Tuebrook. Us kids would all be left at their house and the adults would all piss off to the Coconut Grove. Their teenage daughter "looked after me" quite a lot while they were out ;D

Both my Grandads served in NA, might have even known each other, but never met after the war as both died before my parents met. They bought came through it, but one of my great uncles got captured by the Japanese in the Far East and suffered horrendously. He could never climb stairs after he came home, as all he could see was the camp commander stood at the top of the stairs and remembered the brutality they suffered.

Aye must have been horrendous, me Gan never talked to us about the war but we got snippets passed down to us years later, no idea how prolonged it was or whether it was classed as one of the death marches but we do know he was marched thro Italy before being in a camp for years..me Nan said it took him years for his stomach to recover & get used to proper food again.
To think what he & all those othe brave men went thro back then & never once did we see him complain about anything or be sad, down in the dumps..there was probably nothing anyone could throw at him that would have made him feel that bad again when he got home, always jovial & would have given you his last penny too.
Me arl fella & me Gan had season tickets in the Kemlyn & later in the main stand..he'd always pass on the big games to me & one of me brothers to go with me arl fella blaming his angina..if it was me brothers turn I'd still be at me Nans for the absolutely unbelievable fish & chips she'd do for Saturday tea..jotting down the scores in the newspaper as they came in on the vidiprinter on the tv.
Saturday 3pm games eh..fucking hell.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3852 on: March 9, 2021, 11:59:18 am »
^

That's awful what he had to go through.

I had model planes all over the ceiling as a kid, Spitfires, Hurricanes and ME109's, I used to read the small war comics, can't remember what they were called now, but never thought to ask either one of my Nans about the war and I wish I had. All I know was what my Mum told me about her Mum and Dad. They lived in Everton, my Dads side lived off Scotty, so my other Nan must have taken a battering too as they were right near the docks.

One person I wish I had got a chance to meet was a fella my sister in laws fella knew, he passed away in 2019. He flew Lancasters during the war and I've seen his log book with the Eagles Nest mission, when they bombed Hitlers Fortress. I did once chat with a Spitfire pilot, he was a fascinating man to talk to.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3853 on: March 9, 2021, 05:30:35 pm »
The CG was great in the mid-80's. One of my favourite nights out.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3854 on: March 9, 2021, 07:53:06 pm »

Sunday nights were brilliant , once you threw  into John Brums “charity bucket “ 😀

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3855 on: March 9, 2021, 07:59:01 pm »
Same here. In 1984 I won tickets off Radio City to go and see Evelyn Thomas perform live there. Went with a schoolmate. We were 14. Nobody bothered to check our ages before we arrived like.......was funny as fuck though - owner was sound, sat us in a corner, gave us some food and non alcoholic drinks, told us to keep a low profile as punters were bitching about there being two teenage boys in.

So how did that low profile work out? Not at all well cos part of the prize was to meet her and we both were dancin up the front and she even gave us the mic to join in the chorus of High Energy :lmao

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/yHNI-1bYpm4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/yHNI-1bYpm4</a>

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3856 on: March 9, 2021, 10:48:53 pm »
Sunday nights were brilliant , once you threw  into John Brums “charity bucket “ 😀
I don't remember Brummie from there, only from Kascades on Rose Lane :)

to be honest, it was a boss any night, always have a good vibe.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3857 on: March 10, 2021, 06:24:38 am »
once I had a Cockney girl, an' she was fat an' lazy
way haul away, we'll haul away Joe
a swapped her for a scouser girl who nearly drove me crazy
   ;D

1 minute in
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9MmWgGQh2NU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9MmWgGQh2NU</a>

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3858 on: March 10, 2021, 08:52:15 am »
   ;D

1 minute in
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9MmWgGQh2NU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9MmWgGQh2NU</a>

Brilliant that Kavah especially around the florrie , be lots of late 60s to 70 year old fellas on that who will recognise themselves as kids .

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3859 on: March 10, 2021, 09:44:45 am »
Aye boss that Kavah thanks for putting that up..
Here's me thinking Maggie Mae was just a Beatles thing, The Johny Todd not just a boozer in Kirkby too.
Brylcreemtastic that clip  :D
Sure i saw Greenbank house in there too..

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3860 on: March 10, 2021, 12:57:50 pm »
   ;D

1 minute in

A mate of my works at the Florrie so I'll send him the link.

Keep up the good work.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3861 on: March 10, 2021, 06:00:38 pm »
Got the opportunity to go past the "new and improved" Lime Street a little bit ago for the second time since the old stuff was demolished.

A Lidl, what absolute shit.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3862 on: March 10, 2021, 06:48:33 pm »
A Lidl, what absolute shit.
Waddaya expect with new student digs nearby, replacing a decent art deco cinema and some dodgy but cool pubs?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3863 on: March 11, 2021, 06:10:16 pm »

Belter of a picture from the 1950's, I am 99 per cent this is Seymour Street off London Road and the pub in the background was called The Swan?

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3864 on: March 11, 2021, 07:44:48 pm »
Waddaya expect with new student digs nearby, replacing a decent art deco cinema and some dodgy but cool pubs?
True, I guess you just expect more.  Was the architecture outstanding there?  Not particularly, but look at the shit it's replaced by.  I hope the council stuck true to their word by having kept the Futurist's fascia, they have history of grinding stuff like that into hardcore (the frieze on the end of St George's Hall, the original mosaic at the tunnel entrance...)
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3865 on: March 11, 2021, 07:52:13 pm »
True, I guess you just expect more.  Was the architecture outstanding there?  Not particularly, but look at the shit it's replaced by.  I hope the council stuck true to their word by having kept the Futurist's fascia, they have history of grinding stuff like that into hardcore (the frieze on the end of St George's Hall, the original mosaic at the tunnel entrance...)

tbf The Futurist was the city's first purpose built cinema, and despite being a dangerous structure was still largely intact inside.  The work on Liverpool One shows it was perfectly feasible to at least retain the facade.  I got into quite the scrap with an Anderson apologist on the Echo website during that episode.  Started throwing all my personal information at me too, like he was digging into my IP and browsing data and trying to intimidate me.  I hear some on here had run into him before.

Belter of a picture from the 1950's, I am 99 per cent this is Seymour Street off London Road and the pub in the background was called The Swan?

Correct.  I've walked through that junction more times than I can count.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3866 on: March 11, 2021, 08:12:22 pm »

Yes that was the Swan. Passed it many many times as a kid either on the bus, in the car or walking up to Harris' toy shop with my mates to get Star Wars figures and toys

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3867 on: March 11, 2021, 11:02:33 pm »
They only remodelled the junction in the early 90s I think.  It was around well until my teens.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3868 on: March 11, 2021, 11:10:47 pm »
The google images one isn’t that norton street were the midland bank / hsbc was ..becomes Seymour street through the lights up towards the bullring

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3869 on: March 12, 2021, 12:05:49 am »
The google images one isn’t that norton street were the midland bank / hsbc was ..becomes Seymour street through the lights up towards the bullring

You are correct, oh semantic one. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3870 on: March 12, 2021, 07:08:28 pm »

What a picture this is!
The Beatles, Brian Epstein, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas, Childwall Fiveways, Liverpool 1963.

How ironic that the chappie I know on Facebook who does Liverpool: Then and Now just shared this image!

EDIT: and another:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:11:45 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3871 on: March 12, 2021, 07:56:30 pm »
Yes that was the Swan. Passed it many many times as a kid either on the bus, in the car or walking up to Harris' toy shop with my mates to get Star Wars figures and toys

Not sure if it’s true or not, but I was told that The Swan was the only pub in the city with a door on three different streets.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3872 on: March 12, 2021, 09:03:20 pm »
Another Then and Now.  Childwall cross, 1956 and 2021.  Bloody hell, what a change!  :o

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3873 on: March 13, 2021, 12:36:24 am »
Another Then and Now.  Childwall cross, 1956 and 2021.  Bloody hell, what a change!  :o

That's kettled my head mate. The presence of that single, rectangle large stone in the wall distinguishes the angle.
Keith has posted a couple of others of Childwall Valley Rd and Menlove Avenue which are startling Paul.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3874 on: March 13, 2021, 09:11:24 am »
That's kettled my head mate. The presence of that single, rectangle large stone in the wall distinguishes the angle.
Keith has posted a couple of others of Childwall Valley Rd and Menlove Avenue which are startling Paul.

Aye, John. I've been following with interest.  :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:13:32 am by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3875 on: March 13, 2021, 11:05:51 am »
Not sure if it’s true or not, but I was told that The Swan was the only pub in the city with a door on three different streets.
Early on, probably loads of pubs with doors on three streets.

By the time it closed (in the 90s or whatever) due to the decreasing amount of pubs, there may have been some truth in it.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3876 on: March 13, 2021, 02:25:11 pm »
Not seen these before..from YO!
Bill Shankly watches a game of football from a flat above Eldon Grove #Liverpool 1965.

Could be '64..
fans sit on top of the crossbar following the conclusion of the Eldon Grove Cup Final. The competition was held to prove which of 52 dockland street teams had the right to call themselves champions.

1926.. :o

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3877 on: March 17, 2021, 07:52:20 am »
I used to read the small war comics, can't remember what they were called now,

These?

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3878 on: March 17, 2021, 07:53:53 am »
I spent loads of time in City Pets.  :)

I never bought anything, but would always go in just to have a look.  8)

:D You and every other kid in Liverpool.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3879 on: March 17, 2021, 10:59:40 am »
These?
Achtung! Schnell! Banzai!   ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.