Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 95089 times)

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:16 pm »
Based on some of the comments you would think we were replacing peak Baresi and Costacurta with Djimi Traore here.

Our options for CB right now are all either struggling for fitness, injured, too old to start consecutive games, not actually CBīs or kids. Our CB options earlier this week were:-
Sakho (injured)
Gomez (Injured)
Skrtel (Injured)
Lovren (Injured)
Toure (unavailable)
Lucas (played <90 minutes in his career at CB)
Ilori (has trained just 40 minutes with the club this season and hasnīt completed 90minutes in a very long time. Looks very raw)
Can (Our best midfielder, looks shaky also at CB)
Maguire (academy left back)
Masterson (17 year old academy kid, nowhere near ready)

We all dream of a team on Centre Backs...:D
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2016, 03:13:14 pm »
Let's first be clear, I don't have anything against Caulker. I hope he's a success for us. Just don't think we should have gone for that kind of solution, when we have our senior CBs coming back soon enough.

To answer your question: I want(ed) us to sign first picks. Players for the first team. A keeper, a CB, or a player for more or less for any position. What I didn't want us to do was sign yet another player for the squad, one who could be good to have around, just in case. We have enough of them. We saw a whole team of them play against Exeter. Nothing wrong with them. Give one or two a chance, with senior players around them and they'll do fine.

You can start signing first team replacements when the squad is up and functioning and half the team isn't injured. Right now Klopp is doing this

Offline JonnyCigarettesŪ

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »
Ok, Dougal. Let's go through it one more time.

This is an emergency loan deal

And this is a signing

Rawk

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2016, 03:15:10 pm »
Daniel Agger signed January 2006 and played 4 games that season. He didn't come in and start playing straight away.

Sami signed in the summer of 1999 and was boss straight away.

These 2 are not examples of centre halves who were bought in January and were boss straight away. Martin Skrtel is the best example of a centre half we bought in the January transfer window who came in and played regularly straight away and was also part of the team long term.

Reality is that in Jan it's going to be difficult to buy centre backs you want long term unless you want to throw loads of money at the situation OR the player is playing in a minor European league OR they are completely out of favour at their current club. If they are playing in a minor European League it's likely to be a young player (e.g. Agger) and is likely to need a period of time to acclimatise to a new country, league and higher standard of football.

I understand the transfer strategy of the club has wounded people and everyone has a high degree of skepticism about any signing the club makes. However, this signing is a low cost insurance policy. The club would have looked at long term alternatives but they must have either been unavailable or unaffordable at the moment.

Honest question for the people upset with this signing: who did you want/expect us to sign in January? I'm not overjoyed with the Caulker signing but I'm not seeing many other alternatives either.

I remember Skrtel coming in, having a howler against Havant & Waterlooville, making a few other timely mistakes and being written off by most people.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:14 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:18:13 pm by Bonsky »
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:20 pm »
Let's first be clear, I don't have anything against Caulker. I hope he's a success for us. Just don't think we should have gone for that kind of solution, when we have our senior CBs coming back soon enough.

To answer your question: I want(ed) us to sign first picks. Players for the first team. A keeper, a CB, or a player for more or less for any position. What I didn't want us to do was sign yet another player for the squad, one who could be good to have around, just in case. We have enough of them. We saw a whole team of them play against Exeter. Nothing wrong with them. Give one or two a chance, with senior players around them and they'll do fine.

Ok answer this - let's say Klopp has 2 first team CBs shortlisted but both of them can only join in summer, would you prefer no incoming in winter window or a risk free loan signing till the end of season be acceptable ?

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:24 pm »
Will be interesting to see what role Caulker plays for us. I reckon he is now our 4th CB, above Ilori and Kolo in the order. Seems a sensible addition to me if we plan on addressing CB in the summer. Welcome to LFC, mate. 

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2016, 03:17:22 pm »
We all dream of a team on Centre Backs...:D

I also left out Enrigue. Because there is no way he is losing out on another 90 minutes on his FIFA save any time soon

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2016, 03:18:29 pm »
Will be interesting to see what role Caulker plays for us. I reckon he is now our 4th CB, above Ilori and Kolo in the order. Seems a sensible addition to me if we plan on addressing CB in the summer. Welcome to LFC, mate.

He'll probably take up a similar role alongside Kolo.

I think when you look at both Ilori and Caulker, they're almost complete opposites in terms of centre-backs. You wouldn't want to put Caulker up against pacey, skillful forwards just like you wouldn't want to put Ilori up against big brutes.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:55 pm »
hello and welcome aboard the good ship lollyklopp

That must be a song right there!!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2016, 03:24:08 pm »

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

First rule of any kind of management. In a world where we are rushing players back and overplaying others who have a tendancy to accumulate a lot of injuries... I think believing we will have no further injury problems at CB is magic wand stuff.

Best case scenario, you are right & Caulker rarely plays, pisses off to QPR at the end of the season and we lose out on Ģ1m in wages (or whatever number you want to put here).
Worst case scenario, you are wrong, our CBīs continue to pick up injuries, Toure breaks down trying to play 2 games a week, Lucas gets exposed as a CB, Ilori isnīt ready/gets injured etc etc

Isnīt it a good thing that as a club we are making a short term solution to a short term problem and mitigating our risk? Because trying to navigate through 4 competitions with games every 3 days in our current situation without another first team ready center back is insane. Iīm glad we solved that problem and it gives us the freedom of not rushing Sakho back or overplaying Kolo because we both know how those scenarios play out.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:43 pm »
I also left out Enrigue. Because there is no way he is losing out on another 90 minutes on his FIFA save any time soon

Hahahaha
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2016, 03:27:27 pm »
Pleased with that to be honest, under the circumstances.

- Caulker is 1,91m and a beast at set-pieces - certainly something useful to have in the squad when we play against Andy Carroll and Gestede types. Set-pieces is a huge weakness so this is actually quite a pragmatic short-term solution.

- Very experienced with the PL, which is ideal for a short loan deal as there's little settling in period (as there would have been for Ranocchia, Subotic, etc). He can come in and contribute right away.

- He doesn't have any injury problems (especially compared to Subotic).

- Remember - its only until June, so it's hardly an issue if he fails spectacularly.

The club must have at least tried to get Matip, Subotic, and other better CB's first but there aren't many available this window apparently. Caulker is quite sensible as a 5th choice.

The only reservation I have is that it probably limits any chance for our young lads, i.e. Ilori, Cleary, Williams, etc, but to be fair to the club Cleary and Williams are both injured too, and Ilori may still be needed regardless of Caulker joining. It would appear that Ilori is up against it to stick around though.

Lastly, Klopp improved Lovren, who's to say he doesn't do the same with Caulker?

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2016, 03:29:25 pm »

Is that Pep Lijnders on the right?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2016, 03:31:19 pm »
No, you're wrong. Every single club will have a team of people, feeding information into certain people. Just because it isnt labelled as a 'transfer committee' doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Of course Wenger has a 'committee' helping him with signing, he's managing one of the biggest clubs in world football. If you think he does everything by himself, with no input from anyone else, then you're being massively naive.

The two things are completely different though Wenger is delegating tasks to subordinates but is in control of the process. That is totally different to making decisions by committee.

Getting back on topic. Would of liked us to bring in a ready made top drawer centre back who would of upped the level of competition but if that wasn't possible then I am glad we have acted and brought in cover.

Good luck to the lad.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2016, 03:31:20 pm »
Is that Pep Lijnders on the right?

Apparently it's Flanno.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2016, 03:35:39 pm »
2 legs ... no hamstring problems ? Welcome dude.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #299 on: January 12, 2016, 03:36:52 pm »
His last game was the 1 - 6 thrashing we handed Southampton in the cup.  Other than that he's played 55 mins from from the end of October  Not likely to be very match fit.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-caulker/leistungsdaten/spieler/121280
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #300 on: January 12, 2016, 03:37:20 pm »
Grujic 1,92m
Grabara 1,90m
Caulker 1,91m

Klopp does like himself a big player  ;D

Apparently it's Flanno.
Apparently? I'd say the guys build looks more like Lijnders than Flanagan.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #301 on: January 12, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »
Any Klopp comments on the signing ? Would be interested to hear his views.

Yeah there were, bit bad though....

'I think this is a, my English is not great, but a....shit signing? Is that right? I didnt want him. Shit'
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: January 12, 2016, 03:38:46 pm »
why do people keep referring to this as a Paul Jones/emergency loan. a term which means a emergency deal can be struck if your keepers are all out injured. an emergency loan is also restricted to deals within your own leagues, most importantly out of the transfer window.

that simply isn't the case with Caulker, we didn't have to make a loan and he didn't have to be domestic.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:44:38 pm by C »
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #303 on: January 12, 2016, 03:40:16 pm »
We will be playing Stoke soon for a chance at going to Wembley and Klopp winning us our first silverware in several years.

They will likely be playing Walters and Crouch up front that game given the change in success they had against us when these 2 came on. Which our our current match fit center halves would you feel confident of dealing with either of those threats? Lucas, Can, Toure, Enrique, Ilori? Maybe Sakho is back for that. He has a tendancy to pick up injuries though so no guarantee. Lovren is only 6 days into his recovery from a hamstring injury.

Iīm very happy with this signing. I doubt he will be here much beyond june and, if he is, itīs because he has transformed into a commanding center back in our shirt and so why wouldnīt we want him?

Offline Twitter.com

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: January 12, 2016, 03:40:16 pm »

Supposedly would be the better word maybe  :D The guy who took the photo said it's Flanno.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #305 on: January 12, 2016, 03:43:50 pm »
Grujic 1,92m
Grabara 1,90m
Caulker 1,91m

Klopp does like himself a big player  ;D

Gotze 1.76m

.... never gonna happen .... :D

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #306 on: January 12, 2016, 03:45:21 pm »
Would laugh if he turned in a cracker of a semi-season for us.

Said it and I'll say it again - some folk have delusions; Caulker is no Sami Hyppia, but he isn't exactly a Paul Konchesky, Degen, Kippe or Piechnik neither.

Some folk are just acting out like spoiled brats. How about we see how he does for us first eh? - you know, instead of taking the 'I told you so' approach (which has a 50/50 chance of being true.

Plus - it is a fucking em...er.ge..ncy loan.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: January 12, 2016, 03:47:31 pm »
Here's how WhoScored describes him:

"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2016, 03:48:11 pm »
You would imagine Alex inglethorpe may have provided klopp with an assessment of caulker

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »
Welcome to our fabulous club.

I'll be in row Z when you get some game time,aim at me whenever you're in doubt!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: January 12, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »
Here's how WhoScored describes him:

Ha, that is odd.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: January 12, 2016, 03:50:23 pm »
bitch bitch moan moan about a loan signing 4th choice CB brought in for cover

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #312 on: January 12, 2016, 03:50:32 pm »
An exciting signing in it's oddness and unexpected nature. Can't be much worse than what we have.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 12, 2016, 03:56:54 pm »
Good luck to him here. Hope he turns in absolutely mammoth monster performances.
We need a CB with a head on his shoulders he heads the football with rather than thinks with.  ;)
Hope by the end of the season he has some nice medals to look at.
Then we can chat again about whether or not he is any good.

Welcome to LFC Steven.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58:36 pm »
Based on some of the comments you would think we were replacing peak Baresi and Costacurta with Djimi Traore here.

Our options for CB right now are all either struggling for fitness, injured, too old to start consecutive games, not actually CBīs or kids. Our CB options earlier this week were:-
Sakho (injured)
Gomez (Injured)
Skrtel (Injured)
Lovren (Injured)
Toure (unavailable)
Lucas (played <90 minutes in his career at CB)
Ilori (has trained just 40 minutes with the club this season and hasnīt completed 90minutes in a very long time. Looks very raw)
Can (Our best midfielder, looks shaky also at CB)
Maguire (academy left back)
Masterson (17 year old academy kid, nowhere near ready)

Caulker had an excellent season at Swansea just a few years back, as a kid. To say otherwise is revisionism. So he is capable of performing to a high level in this league. Will he? Nobody knows. But are you seriously telling me that right now he isnīt needed? And we can all hope for the best and pronounce that everyone will be fit again in 2 weeks so he wonīt be needed but do any of you really believe that? We are rushing back players from injury and will over play Toure more than his legs can handle in the coming weeks. I donīt see our injury woes just magically stopping without adding another body that offers some relief.

This also could be a very shrewd signing. Most center backs are quite error prone until they get through 50-100 games. Its why you so rarely see them break through at top clubs and usually spend time on loan to get that experience and learn from their howlers on someone elses grass. Caulker is capable of playing at this level, as he has shown in the past. Hopefully he comes to us with experience, a new found confidence and the desire that comes with knowing this is his last shot at this level. This is exactly the sort of deal we have needed even if maybe itīs not the name many of us wanted. Anybody criticising the club for it need their neck winding in, perhaps until there is a crunch.

yup, we can close the thread now.

ps. Caulker isnt sexy hot talent like Mangala or Memphis Depay et al (yeah, how'd that work out) but he's young and has shown promise. it's a clear choice for us fans of either being optimistic he'll do his best for us or you can throw a tantrum over not having gotten what you wanted for christmas.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58:42 pm »
Welcome Steve!

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #316 on: January 12, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »
You would imagine Alex inglethorpe may have provided klopp with an assessment of caulker

Very good point.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #317 on: January 12, 2016, 04:12:31 pm »
Nice surprise after work. Was updating twitter feed throughout the work day and absolutely nothing. Now get home and find this, lovely stuff. As said defo improves what we have right now and its only a loan so nothing bad with it.

And to people saying its the fastest transfer ever, I seriously doubt that, it just got done under cover and without any media attention. You still have to go through the formalities of negotiation I would imagine.

Anyway nothing bad with the news, we have nothing to lose and Caulker has so much to win. Lets have it!

Offline MJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • Said It's High Green mate, Via Hillsborough please
« Reply #318 on: January 12, 2016, 04:15:30 pm »

Hopefully when he plays he shows us the form he had at Swansea and Cardiff. If he does that then we have an excellent back up, and who knows maybe even a regular.

Good luck to the lad.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MattyJohnson8

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2016, 04:17:02 pm »
He picked no 19. I swear that number is cursed. When was the last time we had anyone even remotely decent in it? Doomed to fail now  :D
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me