Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2749078 times)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #60960 on: April 30, 2021, 05:07:37 pm »
means nowt, but vaguely interesting

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60961 on: April 30, 2021, 05:12:49 pm »
Not a big talking point but think the Vikings did well out of the first round. Picked up extra picks and got a guy most people didn't think would be there at 14.

Also with the Bengals, I am not sure it is a suprise they didn't take Sewell when they already signed a decent LT in FA. If they sign another tackle in then they have significantly improved their line and picked up the best WR in the draft.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #60962 on: April 30, 2021, 05:18:25 pm »
For what it's worth..
Aaron Schatz said Football Outsiders had Payton Turner as the #21 pass rusher...
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60963 on: April 30, 2021, 06:50:48 pm »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60964 on: April 30, 2021, 06:57:05 pm »
https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1387438180811657232

decent tie-in

Some really nice album covers there (plus the green bay one). They've even managed to do something with the Jets's logo style.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #60965 on: April 30, 2021, 07:20:10 pm »
Not a big talking point but think the Vikings did well out of the first round. Picked up extra picks and got a guy most people didn't think would be there at 14.

Also with the Bengals, I am not sure it is a suprise they didn't take Sewell when they already signed a decent LT in FA. If they sign another tackle in then they have significantly improved their line and picked up the best WR in the draft.

In a stronger defensive draft, I think they would've picked one there. I only really watched one full game with them last year (Browns away) and the state of them was horrific. Couldn't get off the field even if their lives had depended on it. They have a long way to go to be anywhere near playoff contention and probably will be within the  top five picks also next year.

The most obvious 2022 #1 overall contender right now feels like Houston, although that is dependent on what happens with Watson's private situation and whether he sits the year out or not. Either way, them, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Denver and Philadelphia are my picks for who will be the bottom five in the league next year. Which makes it even more insane that Rodgers would rather be in Denver than Green Bay. Even with him around, I don't think they'd make the playoffs in that division. Cases could be made for Detroit and Carolina also, but they seem in better shapes in general. Getting the new coaching team should propel the Jets to be the leading New York team on paper - although that division is rough and might see them fall below the Giants again in the total pecking order. Then, I can't see Atlanta fall into the bottom five again.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2021, 07:35:42 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #60966 on: April 30, 2021, 11:12:27 pm »
I don't follow college football - is the Pats QB pick a decent one? What sort of QB is he?

chris simms has been hot on him from the off, i rate simms' opinion esp with regard to QBs and here's his take after MJ's pro day

in short if you're a pats fan you have to be happy, he sounds the perfect fit and an underestimated talent among the general consensus but listening to simms' breakdown (he's done many on him and the other QBs) he's sounds pretty fucking stellar, just not the 'sexy' option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYX9n1pxZLk

the two commonest positive takes you get about him (even from the haters) is he's incredibly accurate and has the best QB brain in this draft - that sounds so New England
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:14:59 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60967 on: May 1, 2021, 12:09:28 am »
I don't follow college football - is the Pats QB pick a decent one? What sort of QB is he?

Well, he was probably the most accurate and pro-ready QB in this draft class. It seems almost unfair that the Patriots got him at No.15 ...

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60968 on: May 1, 2021, 12:47:32 am »
jets got someone for wilson to chuck it to.

lots of D and O line.

more aggression from the bears moving up.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60969 on: May 1, 2021, 02:36:42 am »
more aggression from the bears moving up.

Clearly a cunning plan to get a day off and his next move will be to package up the 5th and 3 6ths to get a 3rd from somebody.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60970 on: May 1, 2021, 06:31:07 am »
Going into the draft I'd have been happy with Jenkins and Mond in the first 2 rounds.

Fields and Jenkins is a very good haul.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #60971 on: May 1, 2021, 10:10:24 am »
Denver apparently throwing a hailmary to land Rodgers now. Considering they already were 5-11 and the amount they'd have to give up of the already doubtful puzzle they have to get him...

Rodgers must really loathe the Green Bay organization's front office to even be considering this. The big difference between this and Brady going to Tampa Bay of course is that Tom was a free agent so they had to give nothing up, plus they already had the right pieces around in the first place. Okay, I'll give them this: if they land Rodgers at least they won't have a tanking season coming up. Still, them making the SB next year would be one of the greatest upsets in NFL history. While, Rodgers would've had a 1/3 chance of being there with the Packers. Instead, merely having a winning season would now be considered a job done. Maybe a 10 % chance of winning the division (in effect Mahomes going down).

In addition to the obvious red and white elephant in the room that now have gone and rebuilt the O-line with pro bowlers, he'll also be stuck facing Chargers' epic pass rush and the Jacobs/Waller combination that can be brutal on the right day. In fact, on either of the other two AFC West teams he'd been in a much better position. Not that the Chargers would give up Herbert's rookie contract for him but still, the point stands.

Meanwhile, if he had tried to land in Miami or Washington he actually could've done instant ring chasing. So, this makes little sense to me. He must really be keen on Jeopardy  ;D
« Last Edit: May 1, 2021, 10:31:58 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60972 on: May 1, 2021, 10:48:50 am »
Denver apparently throwing a hailmary to land Rodgers now. Considering they already were 5-11 and the amount they'd have to give up of the already doubtful puzzle they have to get him...

Rodgers must really loathe the Green Bay organization's front office to even be considering this. The big difference between this and Brady going to Tampa Bay of course is that Tom was a free agent so they had to give nothing up, plus they already had the right pieces around in the first place. Okay, I'll give them this: if they land Rodgers at least they won't have a tanking season coming up. Still, them making the SB next year would be one of the greatest upsets in NFL history. While, Rodgers would've had a 1/3 chance of being there with the Packers. Instead, merely having a winning season would now be considered a job done. Maybe a 10 % chance of winning the division (in effect Mahomes going down).

In addition to the obvious red and white elephant in the room that now have gone and rebuilt the O-line with pro bowlers, he'll also be stuck facing Chargers' epic pass rush and the Jacobs/Waller combination that can be brutal on the right day. In fact, on either of the other two AFC West teams he'd been in a much better position. Not that the Chargers would give up Herbert's rookie contract for him but still, the point stands.

Meanwhile, if he had tried to land in Miami or Washington he actually could've done instant ring chasing. So, this makes little sense to me. He must really be keen on Jeopardy  ;D
If Rodgers lands in Den. They should be the 2nd or 3rd Fav to win the super bowl period. A lot of talent pass catchers, good Oline, 2 good Edge Rusher, a HC who has been an elite DC over his career, good OC. Issue is they may not win their division just because the best QB in the NFL is in that division with a super talented team. He wants to be closer to Cali, it either the Suburb of LA(Vegas) or Den that need QBs. It would 100% be good move for Rodgers and Den with a terrible move for GB. Vegas is not team that looks more then anything a 500 team as the team is currently made

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60973 on: May 1, 2021, 10:50:34 am »
there's a weird irony in the ravens picking a player whose surname is cleveland. especially IN cleveland.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #60974 on: May 1, 2021, 11:03:19 am »
If Rodgers lands in Den. They should be the 2nd or 3rd Fav to win the super bowl period. A lot of talent pass catchers, good Oline, 2 good Edge Rusher

All well and good up to this point, but do you really think the Packers won't try and slice a lot of that up knowing how desperate Elway is for an elite QB? They already turned down the #3 draft pick + the 2020 Super Bowl starting QB and now the draft is over so there's no #9 pick to dangle. For a first rounder to mean something the Packers must make the Broncos worse, so just accepting three first rounders (that would be 25-32) or whatever makes no sense. They need to give Jordan Love all the help in the world to help him out against Chicago's defense in that division so it's not like they will sit back and just wave Rodgers bye-bye without adequate compensation.

The risk for Rodgers is that the pieces he was looking for will be heading the opposite direction. As for Denver's O-line everything is relative. It's not like Buffalo where Allen sometimes can go to the sidelines to discuss the options. I wasn't really impressed with the pass protection at all the (few) times I watched them last season. Lock seemed to have zero time at all whenever they called play action. For the run they looked a lot better, but milking the clock does little when playing Mahomes or Herbert who can strike on the first play of a drive.

So, I'm not really buying it. If he was a free agent like Brady who therefore could keep the pass rush, O-line, RB's and receivers in place, it's possible and then they could suddenly end up being a top contender in the AFC, but now instead unlikely.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2021, 11:13:53 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #60975 on: May 1, 2021, 08:20:49 pm »
Who in here thinks the Bears would still have got Justin Fields WITHOUT trading up?

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60976 on: May 1, 2021, 08:22:57 pm »
Who in here thinks the Bears would still have got Justin Fields WITHOUT trading up?

unlikely, because someone else probably would have

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #60977 on: May 1, 2021, 08:40:24 pm »

Nope. That'd be the Patriots. Possibly even the Raiders. I think they'd gotten Mac Jones though.

I'm a bit puzzled by the Giants trading down when Fields was available. Should be pretty evident that Daniel Jones is the definition of meh at this point. Looking at his college stats, I also wonder how the hell he went #6 overall???
« Last Edit: May 1, 2021, 08:44:58 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60978 on: May 1, 2021, 09:17:45 pm »
He wasnt making it past 15 and Im sure LAC or Viking taking offers if he still there

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60979 on: May 1, 2021, 09:18:57 pm »
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1388580818415726598 Alex Smith was legit average to above average as KC Qb even with Mahomes behind him. Dalton not that good would expect fields to be starter at some point

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #60980 on: May 1, 2021, 09:36:12 pm »
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1388580818415726598 Alex Smith was legit average to above average as KC Qb even with Mahomes behind him. Dalton not that good would expect fields to be starter at some point

Dalton was/is also average and if not at the same level as Alex Smith in his prime then almost just behind. Don't forget he helped the Bengals reach multiple play-offs. Sure they lost in the first round each time but getting them to a record to get into a play-offs was a good achievement in itself. So I think it it a decent strategy not to pressure Fields into starting straight away or even from week 8. As soon as the Bears can't reach the play-offs probably in week 11 or 12 I'd then give Fields 5 or 6 games. Remember there is the extra game this year too, so no need to rush him in at week 8.

In fact I hope we do the same with Mac Jones. I'd give Cam the entire year with Mac learning the play book and system for a year ready for 2022.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60981 on: May 1, 2021, 09:38:02 pm »
almost every team who drafts a qb says they'll sit them behind their existing starter. how long that lasts for is another matter entirely.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60982 on: May 1, 2021, 09:56:57 pm »
Dalton was/is also average and if not at the same level as Alex Smith in his prime then almost just behind. Don't forget he helped the Bengals reach multiple play-offs. Sure they lost in the first round each time but getting them to a record to get into a play-offs was a good achievement in itself. So I think it it a decent strategy not to pressure Fields into starting straight away or even from week 8. As soon as the Bears can't reach the play-offs probably in week 11 or 12 I'd then give Fields 5 or 6 games. Remember there is the extra game this year too, so no need to rush him in at week 8.

In fact I hope we do the same with Mac Jones. I'd give Cam the entire year with Mac learning the play book and system for a year ready for 2022.
Dalton was average in Cincy at the beginning but he was one of the worst qb in the NFL last year. They going to say that but Mahomes is really only guy to not start as a rookie lately(Love also) but He did start week 17 and it was clear Smith wasnt taking them any farther. Jackson took like 10 weeks to beat out flacco. You have 3ish year to see how good ur first round qb is before you can pick up the team option, the best way for them to evaluate/players improve is playing.
Really wont shock me if Fields starts week 1. Lawrence will start week 1 same with Wilson. Lance I think will be start at some point SF was clear they didnt trust Jimmy G arm in the playoff when they went to the superbowl, Lance can run as a develops as a passer.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60983 on: May 1, 2021, 10:08:07 pm »
He a 6 foot QB who doesnt have the best arm. He a good College QB and did very well for Norte Dame but his skill set doesn't translate to being an NFL QB at all

4rh round pick for the Saints

Was confident Book wouldn’t go undrafted but that pick has totally  exceeded expectations.

Hopefully he’ll get some game time

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60984 on: May 1, 2021, 10:26:40 pm »
4rh round pick for the Saints

Was confident Book wouldn’t go undrafted but that pick has totally  exceeded expectations.

Hopefully he’ll get some game time
He probably the #3 QB and 4th round just a flier. I doubt he see much playing time outside of Preseason.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60985 on: May 1, 2021, 10:36:28 pm »
He probably the #3 QB and 4th round just a flier. I doubt he see much playing time outside of Preseason.

So it would seem. Saints fans not happy and moaning about wasted draft picks etc.

Anyway. I’ll bookmark this post ready for when he lifts the Lombardi trophy.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60986 on: May 1, 2021, 10:44:28 pm »
So it would seem. Saints fans not happy and moaning about wasted draft picks etc.

Anyway. I’ll bookmark this post ready for when he lifts the Lombardi trophy.
Day 3 if you like a qb and want to take a flier you cant go wrong likely of him being a starter in NFL is low. Would rather have taken a Flier on Jamie Newson for a qb at this point

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #60987 on: May 1, 2021, 10:46:27 pm »

Giants were also getting offers from the Vikings and Saints for the 11th pick, I would imagine at least one was looking at Fields.

Nope. That'd be the Patriots. Possibly even the Raiders. I think they'd gotten Mac Jones though.

I'm a bit puzzled by the Giants trading down when Fields was available. Should be pretty evident that Daniel Jones is the definition of meh at this point. Looking at his college stats, I also wonder how the hell he went #6 overall???

Giants think a lot of Jones' problems last season were down to a pretty dismal supporting cast with Barkley out, they have loaded up at receiver this year, although still obvious questionmarks over the line, it will be a make or break year for him.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #60988 on: May 1, 2021, 10:47:56 pm »
I'd expect Fields to be the starter from day one. They just have to gamble at this point or both the HC and GM will get fired if they trade up for him and don't use him and the offense stumbling around like in the past. Unlike Smith, even though Dalton has played a lot in the league he isn't even average. He's considerably below if I'm completely honest. I'd still say Smith was a low-end upper half QB at the time also considering he had decent passer ratings. They traded up for Mahomes for a reason (Smith not being good enough to win the whole thing) but he was still a good tutor.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2021, 10:53:03 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #60989 on: May 1, 2021, 10:54:02 pm »
Giants were also getting offers from the Vikings and Saints for the 11th pick, I would imagine at least one was looking at Fields.

Giants think a lot of Jones' problems last season were down to a pretty dismal supporting cast with Barkley out, they have loaded up at receiver this year, although still obvious questionmarks over the line, it will be a make or break year for him.

If Watson is legally able to get out of Texas, they should try and make an offer considering it appears as New York is a big draw for him.
Linudden.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #60990 on: May 1, 2021, 11:34:21 pm »
If Watson is legally able to get out of Texas, they should try and make an offer considering it appears as New York is a big draw for him.

Got plenty of picks for next year to offer up too now.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60991 on: May 2, 2021, 12:55:19 am »
Nobody will go close to Watson until there is a more clear legal situation along with NFL ruling on what give him suspend etc wise(they will let legal process go first)

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60992 on: May 2, 2021, 12:56:07 am »

Saints was looking Defense players. Vikings why they would have moved up

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60993 on: May 2, 2021, 01:12:23 am »
almost every team who drafts a qb says they'll sit them behind their existing starter. how long that lasts for is another matter entirely.

In the case of the Bears, you'd think he will sit long enough for the new members of the oline, let Dalton take the hits until at least then.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60994 on: May 2, 2021, 01:27:26 am »
Much like transfer news, the following is obviously garbage if it doesn't agree with what you think about your team's decisions, but here's some draft grades:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60995 on: May 2, 2021, 08:54:44 am »
on an exceptionally bored day it migt be amusing to check out previous draft grades that have been put out after 1 day.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60996 on: May 2, 2021, 09:33:49 am »
on an exceptionally bored day it migt be amusing to check out previous draft grades that have been put out after 1 day.
Or looking at the 2022 Mock Draft 8)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #60997 on: May 2, 2021, 04:08:03 pm »
On paper, Bears, Lions, Chargers and Browns probably had the best weekend. Texans and Packers the worst. Seahawks also didn't have a great time, but they had hardly any picks. The Raiders did the usual overreach thing, so who knows with them. Broncos bypassing Fields puts a ton of pressure on them to ramp up Rodgers interest.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #60998 on: May 4, 2021, 12:19:01 pm »

Imagine how many massage establishments there must be in the New Jersey/NYC area!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #60999 on: May 4, 2021, 01:03:51 pm »
Also have to say I think Kansas have done well combining FA and draft plus with their injured players for last year returning. Mahomes is now - well should now - be better protected and KC improved on defense.

They'd still have to be favourites to win the AFC and I'd right now have to put Bills, Browns, Ravens close behind. With Pats, Chargers, Dolphins and Colts possibly Titans too behind them. That's 9 teams with 7 spots available. Raiders and Steelers could do something, but I doubt it.

Bucs also have to remain favourites to win the NFC. With the 49ers, Rams and Packers their closest challengers. I also think the Cardinals will have a very good year. I expect Seahawks and Saints to take a step backwards this year. Washington have the defence to be very competitive and who knows with the Cowboys  ;D But really I can't look past Bucs, 49ers or Rams.