Author Topic: Liverpool FC - stuff about the less well known men in the suits  (Read 27055 times)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool FC - stuff about the less well known men in the suits
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2020, 09:10:08 am »
Yeah Hogan has been groomed steadily hasn’t he?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:54 am »
Anything to do with the furlough debacle?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2020, 09:22:49 am »
Yeah Hogan has been groomed steadily hasn’t he?
I'm pretty sure this is it. Moore has by and large done a very good job (with one or two notable exceptions), but this was always going to be Billy Hogan's job at some stage.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2020, 09:24:29 am »
Anything to do with the furlough debacle?

Doubt it. They probably thing Hogan is ready and no point paying wages for both of them.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Peter Moore to step down
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2020, 09:32:28 am »

Peter Moore will step down as Liverpool FC's chief executive officer at the end of August, following a successful three-year contract overseeing the club's off-pitch business operations.

Moore left the UK permanently in 1981 for the United States and enjoyed a successful career at Sega, Reebok, Microsoft and EA. He returned to the UK in 2017 to take up a three-season post as Liverpool’s CEO and during his tenure he has played an important role in the club’s commercial, community and civic responsibilities.

On behalf of Fenway Sports Group, principal owner John W. Henry, chairman Tom Werner and president Mike Gordon said: “We would like to place on record our gratitude to Peter for his contribution and moving the club forward over the past three seasons. He has strengthened the club’s business operations through his leadership and we are grateful to him for his passion, dedication and support. We wish him, his wife Debbie and their families every success for the future as they return to the US and hope they will come back to visit us to take in a few games at Anfield.”

Moore said: “I’ve loved every minute of the job here in Liverpool and feel privileged to have moved the club forward on its civic, commercial and community operations during the last three years. It’s been an incredible journey and I’d like to pay tribute to John, Tom and Mike for giving me the opportunity to lead the business operations at Liverpool.

“I’ve had the great pleasure of working with an exceptionally talented senior leadership team; a group of committed colleagues who work tirelessly for the club; former players; business, community and civic partners and sponsors; incredible supporters around the world and so many other people I’ve met through my role as CEO. I’m indebted to so many people I’ve met on this fantastic journey at Liverpool.

“To think we have won the UEFA Champions League, FIFA Club World Cup and now the Premier League title during my time here is way beyond my dreams. It’s been a phenomenal achievement by the manager, players and staff. The team fully deserves the plaudits and recognition – and the memories I will cherish forever.”

He added: “I came back to Liverpool in 2017 having been in the US for over 30 years and it’s been such a special experience. My wife and I married here two years ago and we go back to the US to our families with mixed emotions. Excited and looking forward to being reunited with our families and grown-up children in the US, emotional about leaving Liverpool which we’ve loved every minute of the opportunity to make a difference and leave our mark in the history of this great city and club.”

Billy Hogan, currently managing director and chief commercial officer, will assume the role of chief executive officer from September 1. Billy is a strong leader with more than 16 years’ institutional knowledge and experience in football and sports industries.

“On behalf of all our staff, partners and other stakeholders, I’d like to place on record our thanks to Peter for his leadership during the past three seasons and wish him well on his return to the US with his wife Debbie,” said Hogan.

“Having been privileged to work at this club for over eight years, it is truly an honour to take up the role of chief executive officer and continue with the great work that has been done to date across the entire organisation. I thank John, Tom and Mike for this opportunity to lead the business into the next phase of this exciting chapter.”

Billy will continue to operate from the club’s London and Liverpool offices, and will be supported by a strong, experienced leadership team.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/404139-peter-moore-to-step-down-liverpool-ceo-billy-hogan

Don't know about you guys, but I think he's done a fantastic job.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
Re: Peter Moore to step down
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2020, 09:39:13 am »
does this mean worrying timesTM ahead for the club? better get this thread locked before the fsg out brigade and doom mongers congregate. :P

hopefully a seamless transition at the top and more trophies won in the future

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2020, 09:43:05 am »
Think Hogan has long been groomed for the growth - Chief Commercial Officer to MD and now CEO. He's been with FSG for a while so probably no bad thing that one of their guys is leading the club off the pitch, maybe improve communication between the club and its owners.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2020, 09:58:18 am »
Peter Moore always seemed more of a figure head than anything else..

Makes me realise that I had absolutely no idea what he actually did.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2020, 09:59:08 am »
I thought Hogan was due to leave the club this summer. Maybe he changed his mind after this opportunity came up.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2020, 10:02:40 am »
Very disappointing. Not renewing his contract and replacing him with Hogan is like replacing Suarez with Balotelli.

Peter Moore did a huge amount of work behind the scenes, was an actual fan and had a huge amount of knowledge of the city and it's people.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2020, 10:04:58 am »
Met him back in March. Lovely man. Wish him all the best. He's done a fantastic job.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2020, 10:05:11 am »
Mixed feelings. Obviously we want a successful person in the role, but also nobody wants to outstay their welcome either. It's important to keep things fresh so we can avoid a repeat of the stagnation that crept into the club under David Moores.

Good to see us not sitting on our laurels.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Peter Moore to step down
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2020, 10:08:30 am »
Moore has been pretty good.

Sad to see him leaving.

Hogan seems to be an able replacement. Has the history, experience and familiarity with the club culture and ethos, and knows the owners.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2020, 10:10:15 am »
For the 1st 6 months of 2020 we had over 750 million social media interactions, in 2nd place was Barcelona, United then Real Madrid, Flamengo were 5th.

He did a fantastic, he increased our worldwide exposure to masses using social media and used his know how to tap into attracting new fans worldwide, we are probably the best club in world sports right now in using social media.

With Hogan moving up to CEO, we have the ex United Commercial director in charge of commercial operations now.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:12:09 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2020, 10:10:40 am »
Very disappointing. Not renewing his contract and replacing him with Hogan is like replacing Suarez with Balotelli.

Peter Moore did a huge amount of work behind the scenes, was an actual fan and had a huge amount of knowledge of the city and it's people.
Hope you are fishing - in these Covid-19 times can't blame someone for wanting to rejoin their family.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 10:12:09 am »
Mixed feelings. Obviously we want a successful person in the role, but also nobody wants to outstay their welcome either. It's important to keep things fresh so we can avoid a repeat of the stagnation that crept into the club under David Moores.

Good to see us not sitting on our laurels.

I think it’s more a case of him wanting to move back to his family in America than any freshening up of his role.

I’m not sure what his job has entailed but we’ve been a very well run club for many years now and he’s been a part of that. I wish him all the best for the future.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2020, 10:12:35 am »
Peter Moore will step down as Liverpool FC's chief executive officer at the end of August, following a successful three-year contract overseeing the club's off-pitch business operations.

Don't know about you guys, but I think he's done a fantastic job.

What a three year period :)
Congratulations to Hogan on the new role, he has served his time.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 10:13:10 am »
Sounds like they just wanted to go back to be with their family which is fair enough, good luck to them. It was nice to have an actual fan doing the job but hopefully things will continue much the same anyway.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 10:13:53 am »
Sounds like a bit of restructuring at the top, with Scammell coming in at the same time - will he be taking the vacant seat on the board?

Hogan is clearly very much FSG's man, and it seems like Moore was always just meant as a short-term appointment while they groomed Hogan. Moore was obviously a good appointment though, given his genuine affiliation with the city and the club.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Moore already had another big job lined up back in the US.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 10:21:08 am »
Sounds like they just wanted to go back to be with their family which is fair enough, good luck to them. It was nice to have an actual fan doing the job but hopefully things will continue much the same anyway.

I dunno, I got the impression it was FSG's decision. Yes he's moving back to America but that was presumably always going to be the case when his time came to an end here.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2020, 10:41:38 am »
Always felt he was a bit too big for the job. EA must be a much bigger company than Liverpool. Felt it was a passion project for him to reconnect himself with his roots and that he would move on to something bigger and better. He must be hot property right now after he has done with us.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2020, 10:51:52 am »

Yep. The reports all suggest this is motivated by family, which given this pandemic, his age (65) and the fact most of his family live in the U.S. is understandable. Thank you Peter and good luck.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2020, 10:53:33 am »
Don’t mind who does the job as long as they give interviews and respond to fan groups and are accessible and accountable

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2020, 10:57:37 am »
Meh, just sign those checks you suits. One and all the same for me.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2020, 11:20:22 am »
This sport has way too many examples, of that not being the case.

The club still has a lot of growing to do, commercially and with this move and Scammell coming in. Hopefully. ten years from now, we will be looking at a revenue stream that is second to none.

Peter Moore always seemed sound, though.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2020, 11:47:13 am »

Given we’ve had Parry and Ayre in the role at the top of the club, I’m not sure how you can say that.

Thought something was afoot with the ex-United guy coming in. Makes sense promoting from within, as seems he’s been groomed for the role for a while now.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2020, 12:13:51 pm »
This sport has way too many examples, of that not being the case.

The club still has a lot of growing to do, commercially and with this move and Scammell coming in. Hopefully. ten years from now, we will be looking at a revenue stream that is second to none.

Peter Moore always seemed sound, though.

I remember standing by the Liver Building seeing him on the bus for the victory parade after the Champions League - one thing that stuck out was the guy seemed to be having a whale of a time.

I think there might have been a bit of apprehension when he arrived - after a few years of dodgy transfers, I remember laughing at the suggestion he was going to unveil new signings by lifting his sleeve and revealing the name of some crap new player (e.g. Fellaini) tattooed on his arm!

But he’s done the job hasn’t he, our revenues and commercial arm have sky rocketed. These FSG lads really do know how to tap into the club’s popularity - looking at Man Utd, that’s the commercial model that we’d always aspired to and FSG are seeing that is the case.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:21:31 pm by mattD »

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2020, 12:15:56 pm »
Given we’ve had Parry and Ayre in the role at the top of the club, I’m not sure how you can say that.

Thought something was afoot with the ex-United guy coming in. Makes sense promoting from within, as seems he’s been groomed for the role for a while now.

We also had Roy Hodgson, and now have Klopp. The man in charge of those 11 is always way more important. Without him, none of those signings work and make the suits look good. We are one of the lowest net spenders, and yet have great success, some will point to smart buys, for me it will always be about the man in charge of the 11 who is making the suits look good.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2020, 12:18:32 pm »
We also had Roy Hodgson, and now have Klopp. The man in charge of those 11 is always way more important. Without him, none of those signings work and make the suits look good. We are one of the lowest net spenders, and yet have great success, some will point to smart buys, for me it will always be about the man in charge of the 11 who is making the suits look good.

Yeah, because Klopp would have got the same support and top quality backing (not just financial) from the likes of Parry and Ayre, right?

I agree the manager is more important (no one is arguing otherwise), but they simply cannot do it on their Own and the thought Klopp (and other top managers) are immune to bad work elsewhere in the club they are at is just a tad naive in how a £500m+ business works.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2020, 12:22:54 pm »

Considering Ian Ayre did fuck all for the club commercially and seemed to balls up negotiations for every transfer target, then I’d say it’s pretty important.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2020, 12:25:18 pm »
Yeah, because Klopp would have got the same support and top quality backing (not just financial) from the likes of Parry and Ayre, right?

I agree the manager is more important (no one is arguing otherwise), but they simply cannot do it on their Own and the thought Klopp (and other top managers) are immune to bad work elsewhere in the club they are at is just a tad naive in how a £500m+ business works.
No point arguing again. No one will agree, and I have been banned on here before for this thought, so I will say the final word on this here. But, the same signings with another manager, and it would be a disaster.
And then Peter "EA Sports" Moore or Mike Gordon all look like Rick Parry and Ian Ayre.

Klopp's greatness is that he makes everyone look 10x good than they are, on and off the pitch.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:27:28 pm by Carra-ton »
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2020, 12:32:03 pm »
Considering Ian Ayre did fuck all for the club commercially and seemed to balls up negotiations for every transfer target, then I’d say it’s pretty important.

We ballsed up the Van Dijk negotiation more spectacularly than Parry or Ayre ever did. But no other manager would have had the poise and balls to wait it out without signing another and giving the suits a chance to rectify their mistake.
Klopp is making the suits look good.
As for the commercial aspect, I still think we should be doing better.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2020, 12:32:51 pm »
No point arguing again. No one will agree, and I have been banned on here before for this thought, so I will say the final word on this here. But, the same signings with another manager, and it would be a disaster.
And then Peter "EA Sports" Moore or Mike Gordon all look like Rick Parry and Ian Ayre.

Klopp's greatness is that he makes everyone look 10x good than they are, on and off the pitch.

We don’t make these signings with other “suits” here though. We have Parry riding his bike to Russia with Fowler on his shoulders. Or Parry going for the 5th down the list. Or we simply don’t have as much money. Or we don’t risk spending the wages required. Etc. Etc.

So Klopp is left having Aquilani (on the injury table) rather than Alonso on the pitch. Or Adam over Fabinho. Or Coates over VVD. I could go on.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2020, 12:33:57 pm »
We ballsed up the Van Dijk negotiation more spectacularly than Parry or Ayre ever did. But no other manager would have had the poise and balls to wait it out without signing another and giving the suits a chance to rectify their mistake.

Wasn’t Klopp at the centre of meeting him before the deal was agreed?   ???

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2020, 12:36:31 pm »
We don’t make these signings with other “suits” here though. We have Parry riding his bike to Russia with Fowler on his shoulders. Or Parry going for the 5th down the list. Or we simply don’t have as much money. Or we don’t risk spending the wages required. Etc. Etc.

So Klopp is left having Aquilani (on the injury table) rather than Alonso on the pitch. Or Adam over Fabinho. Or Coates over VVD. I could go on.
Klopp has made sacrifices though and gone for plan Bs, the way the likes of Rodgers and Rafa wouldn't have, or would have started throwing their tantrums. There have been similar transfer mistakes just as in bygone eras, which would have meant that Liverpool would have suffered, it is Klopp's greatness that he is improving the players.
The managers stance on the Coutinho transfer was monumental, many other managers would have balked at having to sell their best player and rebuild again.
Van Dijk saga, not getting Fekir, all these have one point in common, Klopp making other options look good and making the team work.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2020, 12:37:15 pm »
Wasn’t Klopp at the centre of meeting him before the deal was agreed?   ???
Klopp would take the blame on that one too, that is the way the man is. I blame the suits for the way things were handled in the media.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2020, 12:38:57 pm »
I would've said Billy Hogan was next in line anyway to become CEO whenever Peter Moore left the club. He's the Commercial Director (Now gone to the manc) and Managing Director of the club.  This is just John W Henry and FSG promoting from within.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2020, 12:41:40 pm »
Klopp has made sacrifices though and gone for plan Bs, the way the likes of Rodgers and Rafa wouldn't have, or would have started throwing their tantrums. There have been similar transfer mistakes just as in bygone eras, which would have meant that Liverpool would have suffered, it is Klopp's greatness that he is improving the players.
The managers stance on the Coutinho transfer was monumental, many other managers would have balked at having to sell their best player and rebuild again.
Van Dijk saga, not getting Fekir, all these have one point in common, Klopp making other options look good and making the team work.

Seriously, did a guy in a suit once steal your ice cream?

Your total unwillingness to even accept that a manager of a team in a £500m+ business needs very competent people in other positions is utterly bizarre.

Not sure if you have some weird thought process that people praising someone else at the club takes something off Klopp’s personal achievement here, which your replies hint at, but that’s certainly not the case. Klopp is the first to say he simply cannot do it all on his own.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2020, 12:45:19 pm »
Seriously, did a guy in a suit once steal your ice cream?

Your total unwillingness to even accept that a manager of a team in a £500m+ business needs very competent people in other positions is utterly bizarre.

Not sure if you have some weird thought process that people praising someone else at the club takes something off Klopp’s personal achievement here, which your replies hint at, but that’s certainly not the case. Klopp is the first to say he simply cannot do it all on his own.

Klopp will always give credit and take blame for the mistakes. But, I think even with the greatest achievement in 30 years at this club, he is still less appreciated than what he should be.
No other manager in world football can do what he has done with a transfer budget and sell to buy approach like he has done. The man is once in a generation. The only decision I give credit to the suits is for getting him in. But, then again, it is Liverpool the idea/the challenge which attracted him just as much.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2020, 12:55:03 pm »
Klopp will always give credit and take blame for the mistakes. But, I think even with the greatest achievement in 30 years at this club, he is still less appreciated than what he should be.

By literally no one.

No other manager in world football can do what he has done with a transfer budget and sell to buy approach like he has done. The man is once in a generation. The only decision I give credit to the suits is for getting him in. But, then again, it is Liverpool the idea/the challenge which attracted him just as much.

I apologise. It was clearly not your ice cream a man in a suit took from you. I expect it was worse than that, your favourite toy maybe.