Author Topic: Banner Project  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Banner Project
« on: October 9, 2005, 10:03:43 pm »
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologise in advance if it's in the wrong place.

I've just had an idea for a little project.

I was talking to my tutor last week in uni, and she said to me that for my work this year I should think about doing something that I feel passionate about, something that really interests me, and one of the biggest loves of my life is Liverpool FC. I can't think of a way to incorporate it into a project as such, but I have come up with one idea. I was thinking of making a banner, then passing it on to someone who gets to games alot (I don't get to go very much because of uni and my money situation), and then have that person take a photo or two of it wherever it goes to, either in grounds or with fans etc, and kind of track it's movements and the experiences of the fans. Then next June for my final show, display the banner and photos and what ever bits and pieces collected as an installation.

It's only a rough idea, as you can probably tell, and if it's incredibly stupid please tell me.

I haven't put this to my tutor yet, so she may reject it, but I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested or anything.

Thanks for reading.

Claire.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
Re: Banner Project
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2005, 10:54:10 pm »
Is this a fine art project? I think you'd need to back it up with plenty of explanation. The idea though of the flag traveliing around the country/europe and having it photographed or signed in some way is a nice idea. Think that it needs a reason though for it to be done and why/what it will convey. I have no fine art knowledge or help to offer. I suggest that you get the advice off Filler as he seems to be the man for art and opinions that are concrete.

« Last Edit: October 9, 2005, 10:55:43 pm by ElSheakDelTorro »
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2005, 11:14:10 pm »
thanks for replying :)

it would be a collection of memories and experiences, the Liverpool fans are generally regarded as being the best behaved fans, who go to places and have fun, make friends and give support to their team. I guess what I want to show would be the good side of football, the experiences of the fans on their travels, the things they get upto, the stories, the people they meet.

I do have a lot to work out before I can present this idea, but I just wanted to see if you guys thought the idea had any legs.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2005, 11:18:53 pm »
Any idea what this banner will look like?
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2005, 11:27:37 pm »
Any idea what this banner will look like?

Not at the moment, I'm trying to not get too attatched to the idea incase I'm not allowed to do it, I'll work on some ideas through the week if I get the go ahead.

What kind of degree are you doing? Fuckin hell, I'm on the wrong course, I'm telling you.

I'm doing Graphic Fine Art. It's fine art with a leaning to Printmaking/Photography and Digital Imaging.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 12:39:24 am »
I'm doing Graphic Fine Art. It's fine art with a leaning to Printmaking/Photography and Digital Imaging.

Christ they've mixed the two? I did Graphic design and there lies the difference. Design. I'd have a lot of trouble blurring the lines over into the fine art side of things. Thats like symbolism on a whole new level. Lots if of the sign, signifier and the signified :shocked ?

If your serious about doing it, you really have to take charge and convince your tutors its what you want to do and that it is of benifit to your overall degree. If your not 200% behind the idea yourself, they'll see through it and try and ward you off it. They can't say no your not doing it, only advise against it!

It does make sense, and I would advise if possible attending as many matches as possible with those who could take the flag for you. That way you could photograph the individual supporters as a record of those who took the banner. With decent portraiture of the fans (am thinking b&w for a stark and serious yet accessable tone) the banner will act as a live entity of their emotions and experiences. It would be a physical link to the fans in the picture and if you had say 5-10 portraits of different fans and then a fuck off huge banner it would look the bollocks in an exihbition, and I for one would be curious enough to go check it out if I was faced with a gallery of students work, because of how different it is.

If you can capture the passion of the support and the raw emotion of an actual game then the association with the banner will become clearer to the viewer. I know am off on a tangent with this now, but its a possible expansion of your idea and an avenue that you could consider. I miss sitting round discussing stuff like this at Uni, your a lucky fuck that your still there!

Which uni you at?
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 01:09:23 am »
Christ they've mixed the two? I did Graphic design and there lies the difference. Design. I'd have a lot of trouble blurring the lines over into the fine art side of things. Thats like symbolism on a whole new level. Lots if of the sign, signifier and the signified :shocked ?

If your serious about doing it, you really have to take charge and convince your tutors its what you want to do and that it is of benifit to your overall degree. If your not 200% behind the idea yourself, they'll see through it and try and ward you off it. They can't say no your not doing it, only advise against it!

It does make sense, and I would advise if possible attending as many matches as possible with those who could take the flag for you. That way you could photograph the individual supporters as a record of those who took the banner. With decent portraiture of the fans (am thinking b&w for a stark and serious yet accessable tone) the banner will act as a live entity of their emotions and experiences. It would be a physical link to the fans in the picture and if you had say 5-10 portraits of different fans and then a fuck off huge banner it would look the bollocks in an exihbition, and I for one would be curious enough to go check it out if I was faced with a gallery of students work, because of how different it is.

If you can capture the passion of the support and the raw emotion of an actual game then the association with the banner will become clearer to the viewer. I know am off on a tangent with this now, but its a possible expansion of your idea and an avenue that you could consider. I miss sitting round discussing stuff like this at Uni, your a lucky fuck that your still there!

Which uni you at?

Thanks, you've got the grasp of what I want to express! I want to show the passion, the raw emotion and love of the game, and show it in a way that people can kind of, experience. If I can I'll do it as a big installation and have sound, some chants from the Kop playing, with the banner and photographs all laid out, so people can see and feel the emotion. I like the idea of taking some of the photographs myself, as I think it would be a far stronger idea/project if i was able to produce and take the banner to games myself, but student loans aren't generous enough to grant me that kind of fundage, so if i could get to as many as i can that'd be something, it'd bring me closer to it and also, hopefully, the viewer as the way I would be conveying it would be a direct personal experience, but also showing a collective experience at the same time, if that makes sense.

I'm starting to think this idea has some legs, think I'll start getting some stuff down on paper and see where it takes me.

I'm at the University of East London, only place that did the course I'm on. I've done my foundation in Art & Design and then a HND in Fine Art, so wanted to try something a bit different for my degree, I now realise it was a fairly stupid decision to change, but if anything, my photography has improved :)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 06:18:43 pm »
I've been off sick today, so I've been messing around with this idea.

It's rough, and it needs some fiddling around with, but what do you think for a starting point?

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:41:07 pm »
That is sound that mate, well in fact, I am stealing it :)
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 06:44:55 pm »
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 06:55:15 pm »

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 10:15:03 pm »
Just borrow an already made one, because its a ball ache making a massive one, mines 15ft by 4 ft and hand painted.  Its a labour of love I guess, I know where you can get material thats 8ft high if thats any use?
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 10:28:11 pm »
Just borrow an already made one, because its a ball ache making a massive one, mines 15ft by 4 ft and hand painted.  Its a labour of love I guess, I know where you can get material thats 8ft high if thats any use?

the making of it isn't a problem, I'm an art student so that'd be the easy bit, if I do something similar to that design, I could screenprint it cos it's only 2 colours, or hand paint the whole thing using an OHP, bout a weeks work I reckon depending on the size.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

I'm in London so if you know somewhere down here, that'd be excellent cos I can't get back home for a few weeks.