Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3472317 times)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #54080 on: December 1, 2021, 11:56:52 am »
Power Of The Dog is on Netflix, received some great reviews.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54081 on: December 1, 2021, 01:47:29 pm »
Been watching some of Campion earlier films recently, and really liking them, so looking up to this.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54082 on: December 1, 2021, 04:48:54 pm »
Been watching some of Campion earlier films recently, and really liking them, so looking up to this.

Thought he was a wonder-horse?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #54083 on: December 1, 2021, 07:04:40 pm »

just finished watching it , typical Campion style and decent enough film with a glorious twist at the end:
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54084 on: December 3, 2021, 12:06:36 am »
Jared Leto is a terrible actor. How he gets so many gigs is baffling.

Anyway, looking forward to West Side Story after reading all the rave reviews. Looks stunningly beautiful from the trailer. Should hopefully be a palette cleanser for blockbusters after the fine but unspectacular No Time To Die and the dreary and soulless Dune.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54085 on: December 3, 2021, 12:38:12 am »
Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City

Laughably bad.

It did make me laugh in one or two scenes, but that wasn't the intention.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #54086 on: December 4, 2021, 02:17:28 pm »
Watched Belfast last night I guess it the troubles as seen by a little boy I notoced to two man villains had the name of two brothers kill in tombstone at the Battle of the o.k. corral

And they have one hell of a local bus service that seems to go everywhere.

But I did enjoy the film.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54087 on: December 4, 2021, 10:57:07 pm »
The Last Duel

You'd believe that France has never, ever had a sunny day.

Bleak weather central.

Interesting film

Spoiler

Set in three parts

1. From the point of the view of the husband
2. From the point of view of his mate
3. From the point of view of his missus

Kind of like one of those 70s who-dunnits.

Interesting and maybe worth a watch.

I have to say, the battle scenes were hilariously laughable.

Horses on the side of a river - charging an enemy THROUGH the river and losing momentum - only to have to stop at trees immediately beyond. The whole point of caverly is that

1. They are supported
2. They use their mobility
3. They never, ever put themselves in a position where they are at a disadvantage to infantry

And then.. Fire arrows. Fire. Arrows. Lol. In Scotland. IN A WOOD!! Ha ha ha

The you have the now customary 'battle scene' where there is no front line, no identification, no order, no way to differentiate troops with enemies in front of, behind and to either side of you ON BOTH SIDES. Might make 'good TV' but massively inept. You might see carnage like that if one force were trapped and surrounded, but not in an open battle with no lines of support, retreat, rally or command..

[close]

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #54088 on: December 5, 2021, 02:14:28 am »
Did anyone here ever use the imdb forums? It would always be the first place I would check after watching a movie, I haven't found any forum that replaces it since it shut unfortunately.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54089 on: December 5, 2021, 12:26:59 pm »
Did anyone here ever use the imdb forums? It would always be the first place I would check after watching a movie, I haven't found any forum that replaces it since it shut unfortunately.

Rotten Tomatoes

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #54090 on: December 5, 2021, 02:12:18 pm »

Earlier this year I started keeping track of what I've watched on Letterboxd, mostly because I am watching scores of Japanese and Korean films and I sometimes have trouble remembering
which ones I've already seen. They have ratings and reviews on there, but they aren't always very extensive. It's another option, though.

https://letterboxd.com/
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54091 on: December 5, 2021, 02:51:48 pm »
Earlier this year I started keeping track of what I've watched on Letterboxd, mostly because I am watching scores of Japanese and Korean films and I sometimes have trouble remembering
which ones I've already seen. They have ratings and reviews on there, but they aren't always very extensive. It's another option, though.

Yeah, I love letterboxd. It's great for keeping track of what you watched or want to watch, making lists of favourites and going through other lists to discover new movies. Some of the more popular reviews are "witty" one-liners, but if you ignore the 3-4 usual suspects, there are lots of great reviews and different points of view to find.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54092 on: December 5, 2021, 03:04:06 pm »
+1 on Letterboxd

Saw Benedetta is theaters last night, quite enjoyed it. Similar to Ken Russell's The Devils in the amount of perverseness/blasphemy in the movie.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54093 on: December 5, 2021, 08:56:56 pm »
Festen (family viewing)
https://youtu.be/6joYCRPh6mM
Not English subs, there are somewhere, but directs you to the film, and from there you can hunt around.
It could be disturbing for some people, but it is an astounding film.

Kontroll (get a nice supper ready for the opening)
https://youtu.be/lnVGIcFXsA4

Nimrod Antall seems to have done nothing much since. But if you watch this and don't start wandering round Edge Lane looking for girls in pink fluffy mouse outfits you are a fucking freak, lgbtq whatever,all of you.

Just don't start watching it over yr supper.

Uve Tigris (might have that a bit wrong, Hungarian's not my tops)
https://youtu.be/wg8tQu9H6SQ

This is wonderful. A soap opera in a cafe stop. In Hungary.
There's 2 or 3, and the link is the first and should be subtitled.
Really simple, really funny, people doing what people do.
Also, I am constantly told all these Eastern Europeans are THis or That (if you are still reading you know what I'm saying) and I find these films, quite simply, on Youtube, free, and to me they seem quite nice people.

Anyway, watch, you will enjoy it.

Come And See, 2 versions on Yt last looked, and if you need subtitles for the last half hour, tell me on here and I'll give the words
https://youtu.be/NJYOg4ORc1w

Watch it, download it, copy it, share it, save it - it is a testament.
Elim Klimov's last film, and it was to show the knowing complicity of the Wehermacht in the murder of Jews, gipsies, anybody who did not do what they wete told.
Releasrd in 1984, never in the Uk.

Watch it, even if you gag through it, it is not a film to gon a date with,
But
If you go on a date with someone who can watch tbis fillm then either they are a full on sociopath, or someone with a tough amount of love capability inthem.

All these are incredible films, and should be watched, copied, shared, and spread.

In fact I might modify with links.
I have put links, and comments.

Anyone watches them hope you comment.
Enjoy isn't the appropriate word though.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 5, 2021, 10:05:20 pm by idontknow »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54094 on: December 11, 2021, 02:53:21 pm »
Anyone seen The Last Duel? Big fan of Adam Driver and thought I’d give it a go tonight.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54095 on: December 11, 2021, 04:24:36 pm »
Anyone seen The Last Duel? Big fan of Adam Driver and thought I’d give it a go tonight.

Yeah. Mentioned it above.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54096 on: December 11, 2021, 06:18:42 pm »

I liked it, kinda a 14th century Rashomon.  It bombed in the UK because it was rated 18 and I have no idea why.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54097 on: December 13, 2021, 01:34:36 am »
The Last Duel

You'd believe that France has never, ever had a sunny day.

Bleak weather central.

Interesting film

Spoiler

Set in three parts

1. From the point of the view of the husband
2. From the point of view of his mate
3. From the point of view of his missus

Kind of like one of those 70s who-dunnits.

Interesting and maybe worth a watch.

I have to say, the battle scenes were hilariously laughable.

Horses on the side of a river - charging an enemy THROUGH the river and losing momentum - only to have to stop at trees immediately beyond. The whole point of caverly is that

1. They are supported
2. They use their mobility
3. They never, ever put themselves in a position where they are at a disadvantage to infantry

And then.. Fire arrows. Fire. Arrows. Lol. In Scotland. IN A WOOD!! Ha ha ha

The you have the now customary 'battle scene' where there is no front line, no identification, no order, no way to differentiate troops with enemies in front of, behind and to either side of you ON BOTH SIDES. Might make 'good TV' but massively inept. You might see carnage like that if one force were trapped and surrounded, but not in an open battle with no lines of support, retreat, rally or command..

[close]

Spoiler
Thought it was a bit meh. I couldn't like any of the main characters and would have been happy if they all died. Ben Affleck was super shit so I wish something sinister had of at least happened to him.

1. The fire arrow scene. Matt Damon with no helmet on avoids everything?
2. Using older style language and then dropping in an 'F' or 'C' bomb just spoiled some of the dialogue.
3. The 3 view points felt a bit like 'Groundhog Day' when each new story began.

Spoiler

[close]
[close]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54098 on: December 13, 2021, 10:58:23 pm »
The Last Bus with Timoty Spall

A simple story of a man who travels from John O'Groats to landsend for a special reason.

Worth a watch

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #54099 on: December 15, 2021, 12:37:40 am »
Red Notice - utter tosh the kind of stuff you can watch brain dead for shallow amusement when nowt to do

tho, i couldn't even get to the end of this, cba with it three quaters through
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #54100 on: December 15, 2021, 11:25:15 am »
Recents:

Dealer - 3/5
France - 1/5
House of Gucci - 2.5/5
Boiling Point - 3.5/5
The Worst Person in the World - 4/5
Ghostbusters: Afterlife - 2.5/5
The Humans - 3.5/5
Madres Paralelas - 3.5/5
Power of the Dog - 3.5/5
The Unforgivable - 2.5/5
There Is No Evil - 4/5
Don't Look Up - 2/5

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #54101 on: December 16, 2021, 03:45:34 pm »

Come And See, 2 versions on Yt last looked, and if you need subtitles for the last half hour, tell me on here and I'll give the words
https://youtu.be/NJYOg4ORc1w

Watch it, download it, copy it, share it, save it - it is a testament.
Elim Klimov's last film, and it was to show the knowing complicity of the Wehermacht in the murder of Jews, gipsies, anybody who did not do what they wete told.
Releasrd in 1984, never in the Uk.

Watch it, even if you gag through it, it is not a film to gon a date with,
But
If you go on a date with someone who can watch tbis fillm then either they are a full on sociopath, or someone with a tough amount of love capability inthem.

I dont know if you get Criterion Channel in europe? but Come and See is on there. been waiting to be in the right mood to watch it....

ive heard it breaks the whole "theres no such thing as an anti-war film" theory

yeah letterboxd is great. i also have a terrible memory so it helps me keep track, especially when people ask what youve seen recently/ recommend or to work through a directors catalog or whatever.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54102 on: December 16, 2021, 03:47:42 pm »
Echo the letterboxd is great shouts. I've been using it since last year and now 155 films deep on there.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54103 on: December 16, 2021, 04:57:07 pm »
Speaking of war movies, watched Bullet in the Head from John Woo last night. Has Tony Leung, one of my all time favorite actors, in it. It has John Woo's over-the-top, stylized action but also has some excruciating emotional moments in it.

Been holding off on watching Come and See. It definitely seems like a movie you need to be in the right frame-of-mind for.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54104 on: December 16, 2021, 05:38:48 pm »
Speaking of war movies, watched Bullet in the Head from John Woo last night. Has Tony Leung, one of my all time favorite actors, in it. It has John Woo's over-the-top, stylized action but also has some excruciating emotional moments in it.

Been holding off on watching Come and See. It definitely seems like a movie you need to be in the right frame-of-mind for.

It's an important one,maybe not good as a movie you watch to be entertained but it's an experience and feels like the truth of what was.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54105 on: December 18, 2021, 10:18:42 pm »
Last Train to Christmas

Quite an interesting film. Won't write too much in here as wouldn't want to spoil it.

Quite clever and really made you wonder how it could be made right at the end.

Spoiler

Think he got a bit of a duff deal though - lost 40 years of his life and all memory of it..

Hey ho!

[close]

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54106 on: December 20, 2021, 02:53:13 pm »
From the director of The Witch & The Lighthouse

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oMSdFM12hOw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oMSdFM12hOw</a>

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #54107 on: December 20, 2021, 03:43:29 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oMSdFM12hOw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oMSdFM12hOw</a>

New Assassins Creed Valhalla DLC looks good  ;D

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54108 on: December 20, 2021, 05:37:21 pm »
looking for a feel good christmas film for 3 adults and a pensioner

needs to be available on sky, netflix, amazon or old enough for VoD with IPTV

We loved Elf and hated Scrooged (Bill Murray)

possibilities so far are click and collect, Nativity or Christmas chronicles

cheers guys
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54109 on: December 20, 2021, 05:56:04 pm »

Absolutely loved both of Eggers previous films, so really looking forward to this. That being said, this looks and feels a lot different from his past works. You can't draw too many conclusions from a trailer, but it really has the look of a more mainstream Hollywood movie, although not necessarily in a bad way.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54110 on: December 20, 2021, 08:40:39 pm »
Watched the color of money on disney the other night. At the risk of sounding a bit gay, Paul Newman still had it even at his age in the film. Eclipsed young Tom. The grey slacks, the half buttoned sweaters with the collars, the moustache, the shades, the silver fox. Pure class. If i can stay lean, i might be able to pull that look off when i hit me 60s

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54111 on: December 20, 2021, 08:44:58 pm »
Nicole Kidman and her 'modern' face and we're supposed to take her seriously as someone from the viking age. Rubbish

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54112 on: December 20, 2021, 08:47:58 pm »

Absolutely love The VVitch but still need to watch The Lighthouse. Is it good?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54113 on: December 20, 2021, 09:03:10 pm »
Watched Klaus on Netflix today, a lovely animated Christmas film.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54114 on: December 20, 2021, 09:09:08 pm »
Nicole Kidman and her 'modern' face and we're supposed to take her seriously as someone from the viking age. Rubbish
No mate, the Vikings basically invented the facelift. They practised with your Irish.  ;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54115 on: December 20, 2021, 09:23:07 pm »
No mate, the Vikings basically invented the facelift. They practised with your Irish.  ;D
Behave yourself! They were mere guests and loved us. So much so the only things they ever lifted involving us were lifting our women and taking them to Iceland. Where that movie is actually set! Nicole Kidman will be a scandi woman in it when all the women there were Gaels ffs. I'll still watch it though

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #54116 on: December 20, 2021, 09:26:30 pm »
Just caught up with Seven….

It’s good, but not quite what I had expected.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54117 on: December 20, 2021, 09:35:16 pm »
Watched GdT's Nightmare Alley in theatres over the weekend. I was a bit disappointed in it - not particularly different or interesting compared to the 1947 film with the same name. Cooper was miscast as well - he doesn't seem sleazy enough to play that character.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54118 on: December 20, 2021, 10:10:08 pm »
Behave yourself! They were mere guests and loved us. So much so the only things they ever lifted involving us were lifting our women and taking them to Iceland. Where that movie is actually set! Nicole Kidman will be a scandi woman in it when all the women there were Gaels ffs. I'll still watch it though
;D

Smart people those Vikings. They took all the prettiest women aorund, and thousands of years later, they have countries made of supermodels. And they called them savages, more like long time thinkers.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54119 on: December 21, 2021, 12:23:25 am »
Just finished The French Dispatch. Overall I thought it was fine and mostly enjoyed it, but it's far and away from Wes Anderson best work. Like most anthologies, it's a bit uneven, as some stories are just more engaging and better thought out than others. But my biggest problem with this film, is that it seemed like Anderson was more concerned with throwing every trope from the Wes Anderson trope book at the audience (to the point of verging on self-parody), than telling a compelling story. I think Anderson is at his best when his visual style works in favour of the story, but this seemed to be the other way around. Gladly, most of it works (for an Anderson fan at least), but I probably wouldn't recommend this movie if you're not an uber duber Wes Anderson fan. This is him at his most self-indulgent.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:47:57 am by Lastrador »