Author Topic: PL: Man United 0 v Liverpool 5; HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAPON  (Read 73372 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
PL: Man United 0 v Liverpool 5; HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAPON
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:50:06 pm »
Manchester United v Liverpool FC at Old Trafford (not the cricket ground, the other one), Sunday 24 October, KO 4.30pm

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Manchester. Yes, Manchester).

This may well be Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s last game in charge of Manchester’s number two team. If it is we will miss him. He’s been a breath of fresh air for anyone wishing Manchester United an ill wind. We cheered stupidly when he was appointed, we marvelled at the pundits who grotesquely hyped up the former Molde and Cardiff City manager, we breathed a sigh of relief each time his side pulled off a victory after a sequence of bad results. And of course we have sniggered at the ineptitude of his team’s performances in the big matches - especially in European competition. Think of all that money he has spent in the transfer market. And ask yourself who, really, he has captured that would make the starting XI at Anfield, or even the bench? Not the old men Ronaldo and Cavani, not the big oil-tanker at the back, not the Dutch bloke who once graced Ajax and who now works part-time at Hallmarks in the Arndale Centre, not the right back who “can tackle” - we are told - but who prefers to spend half of the 90 minutes on his backside. And not Varane who, though decent enough, would only be fifth in line for a centre-back spot at Liverpool.

And then there’s Solskjaer’s coaching which also produces such mirth. Tactics and strategy? Neither seem to exist at Manchester United. How to press? When to press? How to react in the first five seconds after the ball is lost? These are questions which seem never to have floated into Ole’s mind. The greatest thing, possibly the only thing, he brings to his team is enthusiasm. That’s needed of course. Klopp brings his own special kind to Liverpool. But there’s a strong sense watching Solskjaer’s teams that there’s not much else going on. If Man United are on the rack Ole pounds the club crest on his track suit top, heaves his shoulders and pulls up his chest. “Play for the badge lads” he is saying. “Play for Sir Alex.” That might have got Paddy Crerand going in years gone by, it might even fire up the technically challenged Scott McTominay, but it means nothing to Pogba or Matic or Fred (Fred? Really?) I strongly suspect it means nothing to Ronaldo either. He’s there for the money and the pens. And he’s not even taking the pens.

So we should win right? I think so. So do you. Last season we despatched them handsomely at Old Trafford - and with a team that was raw at the back but beginning to acquire confidence and momentum. This season we arrive unbeaten. Indeed we haven’t lost a game since April 6th. Our pressing game is back after a season’s convalescence and goals are plentiful and emanating from all areas of the pitch. In Salah we have not just one of the greatest players in the world over the last 5 years, but the greatest there presently is. These are the games he lives for. Old Trafford will be treated to at least one Salah goal I would think. Hopefully it will be another one “made in Heaven.”

The right flank has been the king’s highway for the Reds this season of course. It’s a sure thing that Luke Shaw will think twice about marauding up the pitch with Salah on his side of the field, especially when Maguire is the backstop. It’s worth considering this too. The vibrations from Mo’s extraordinary goal against Manchester City are still being felt, and will be felt on Sunday too. Indeed the equally extraordinary goal against Watford last week was in large part a by-product of that City goal. Defenders were starting to convince themselves they could show Salah on to his right foot. The thunderbolt against Man City ended that speculation and undoubtedly persuaded two Watford defenders the following week to throw themselves at a right-footed strike which never came. Mo simply swivelled back and curled the ball in with his favoured left. Your turn next Maguire.   

Sunday’s opponents do have good players of course. Mason Greenwood is a seriously talented forward with a pure strike and the ability to carve out space in tight areas of the pitch. He’d do well in a Klopp team. Fernandes is a good player too, though he’s suffering a little bit this season from the new edict allowing referees to let the game flow. He’s also suffering from having to adjust his game to Ronaldo, who now moves as adroitly and as ambitiously as his famous statue on the island of Madeira. And between the pegs de Gea appears to have rediscovered his confidence and his form. But, once again, these are players left to their own devices and they are playing against much better players who are being coached. 

Over the years we have sometimes gone to Old Trafford and administered a lesson. The Boxing Day massacre of ‘78 is a favourite of mine because it was the first time I saw the Reds win there. The John Barnes match in 1990 was another. The 1-4 drubbing under Rafa and the equally imperious 0-3 returned by Brendan Rodgers’s cavaliers were like gourmet meals. Such games live in the memory for ever because (Everton aside) United are our biggest opponents. We are still savouring and digesting them now. Can we lengthen the list on Sunday?

Well, we come off a hard-fought win in Madrid. Manchester are about to play Atalanta and hopefully don't screw it up so badly that Ole is no longer at the wheel on Sunday. 

I never do predictions, which means 1-3 to us.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 07:45:29 pm by John C »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Man United v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 03:51:42 pm »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 03:52:44 pm »

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 04:28:28 pm »
The players are coming out. I’d love to have Andy at Allerton beside me in the comms box for this one because his dodgy officiating count will surely be off the scale.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 04:30:20 pm »
And we’re off.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 04:31:13 pm »
That overhead shot was fascinating. The moment the ball was kicked we were streaming forward.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 04:34:18 pm »
4 First chance to them. We’re messy out on the right, too many players around the ball and they nick it. It gets worked right to Fernandez and he blasts over. Had to get it on target at least.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:04 pm »
5 1-0 Reds. Naby Keita. Salah waits and waits and times his pass brilliantly. Naby rolls it under DDG. Get in

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Man United 0 v Liverpool 1 Keita 4
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:57 pm »
It's was a lovely move, great pass by Mo.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 04:37:35 pm »
6 Should be 2. we press superbly and the ball ends up with Bobby in the box, he’s forced a bit wide and DDG saves.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 04:39:37 pm »
9 Ref let’s the game flow with both teams wanting fouls. Eventually Mo is ruled offside. It’s frantic.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 04:40:45 pm »
I loved Konate upending Ronaldo like.  ;D

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 04:40:53 pm »
10 Naby gives it away too easily and Rashford nicks it. He drives on and shoots wide from the edge of the box

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 04:44:21 pm »
2-0 Jota. They give it away, it’s worked right to Trent and he fires a great ball across the box and Jota taps it in. 2-0

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Man United 0 v Liverpool 2 Keita 4, Jota 13
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 04:45:15 pm »
What was their defence doing?

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 04:47:00 pm »
16 They probe down our right and Konate concedes a corner. We don’t defend it well and it’s eventually hooked over the top. Goal kick.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 04:49:42 pm »
Naby is an absolute livewire today.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 04:50:14 pm »
19 We’re nearly in again. They play out, we press and are literally mm from nicking it in their six yard box. They smash it clear and create a chance of their own which is drilled over the top.Keita down with a knock. He’s up.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 04:50:33 pm »
Naby is an absolute livewire today.

Just taken a knock as you said that. I think he's okay though.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 04:52:58 pm »
22 Good possession from them which lasts a good minute or so. Eventually Shaw drills one just wide of Alys far post.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 04:53:18 pm »
Over to Jill

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 04:54:03 pm »
23 We continue to control the game. United while getting more ball, are being pressed by us the whole time and we are pushing them backwards.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 04:55:05 pm »
24 Milner is in trouble. He slipped over and has indicated to the bench. Klopp having a very animated conversation with Hendo. Looks like Jones is warming up.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 04:55:42 pm »
Milly down. Looks like Curtis will have to come on.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2021, 04:56:21 pm »
25 Curtis is on.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2021, 04:58:13 pm »
27 United getting some possession but we are closing down the space really quickly, can we keep this up?

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2021, 04:59:01 pm »
They’re getting out too easily all of a sudden.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2021, 04:59:37 pm »
28 First proper save from Alisson today who pushes a shot away from Greenwood.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2021, 05:01:12 pm »
29 So close to a third there, with some great work between Jota and Trent. United half clear Trent's cross but Hendersons shot goes wide off a United players. Corner. Corner to the back post is cleared, it comes back but is cleared eventually.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 05:02:52 pm »
Whoof! So close fir Mo

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2021, 05:02:52 pm »
32 Another close call for United this time from Salah, but De Gea manages to block it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2021, 05:03:56 pm »
It is noticeable how much negative the pressure is from the United fans, getting really frustrated with their team.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2021, 05:04:31 pm »
Jones needs to wake up.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2021, 05:05:20 pm »
34 United getting frustrated as they are not getting decisions, arguing with the referee, all is not well.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2021, 05:06:42 pm »
35 The most pressure we are having is when we lose the ball, such as then when Keita loses it high up. But nothing comes of it.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2021, 05:08:15 pm »
United are quite frantic in attack. That saps energy but it does keep the rabid crowd loud.

Oh,!

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2021, 05:08:18 pm »
Get in

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2021, 05:08:37 pm »
37 Goooaaallll Salah, gets the third some lovely play. Between Keita, Jota and finally Salah.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2021, 05:09:55 pm »
United fans streaming out of parts of the ground.  :o

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2021, 05:10:50 pm »
39 Another crazy delayed time before the offside is called there, as Ronaldo is so far ahead it's mad.