Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 41818 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2021, 12:02:47 am »
Anyway, if you want overrated, then it’s David Bowie.

Underrated artist who deserves similar acclaim? Probably Kate Bush.

I thought you'd get some stick for that, but no one seems to have commented.

I actually agree with you though. Now I've got a fair bit of his work, and he could be a genius at times, but his stuff is incredibly patchy. Some absolute gems, but an awful lot of distinctly average stuff too. He couldn't act to save his life either, and only got film work because of his name.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2021, 12:03:19 am »
Overclocked gaming PCs
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2021, 12:31:58 am »
I thought you'd get some stick for that, but no one seems to have commented.

I actually agree with you though. Now I've got a fair bit of his work, and he could be a genius at times, but his stuff is incredibly patchy. Some absolute gems, but an awful lot of distinctly average stuff too. He couldn't act to save his life either, and only got film work because of his name.
The very nature of the thread means that almost everyone mentioned could cause a mass full frontal attack. Amazing for RAWK that everyone seems to recognise that and go with the flow.

I mentioned Jagger very early on and expected outrage because I'm obviously in an absolute minority on that one, but it's a good sign. If only it would translate on to the  political threads.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2021, 12:53:46 am »
The very nature of the thread means that almost everyone mentioned could cause a mass full frontal attack. Amazing for RAWK that everyone seems to recognise that and go with the flow.

I mentioned Jagger very early on and expected outrage because I'm obviously in an absolute minority on that one, but it's a good sign. If only it would translate on to the  political threads.
Of course, yes. It's all so very subjective, isn't it?

I like a lot of things that leave me in a small minority, but we like what we like.  :)

For what it's worth, I'm with you on Jagger and the Stones. They leave me cold and perplexed as to their appeal, but hey, millions adore them, so it's all good.

I see you mentioned The Exorcist too. When I saw that film I thought it was a comedy as it's so ridiculous.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2021, 06:17:44 am »
Came in here to bait people and got wound up by people who don't understand rap shitting on Kanye. Played myself.

Kanye is a really shitty rapper. I struggle to remember a single song by him in the last decade where I thought he said anything insightful or clever.

He was a lot better on some of his albums from mid 00's,. He has definitely become a lot stupider and narcistic over time. Could be due to his mental health issues.

I do rate him as a producer though.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2021, 06:19:18 am »
Kanye is a really shitty rapper.

No.

I struggle to remember a single song by him in the last decade

Yes.

But using that logic Ian Rush is overrated because he hasn't scored this millennium. People get old, fall off. It's natural.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2021, 06:27:25 am »
No.

Yes.

But using that logic Ian Rush is overrated because he hasn't scored this millennium. People get old, fall off. It's natural.

Its not just falling off though, He had about 5 years of a golden age and about 10 years of absolute cringefest in his career.

There are lot of rappers I love from the 90's that don't make amazing music anymore, but even listening to some of their newer stuff doesn't make me want to smash my phone with hammer. With Kanye, I just cringe when he starts talking. Pretty much every album past Yeezus is like that, and even some songs on his older albums are like that too.

Also it seems that lot of people still rate his newer albums too so that is why I say he is overrated.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2021, 06:34:17 am »
Its not just falling off though, He had about 5 years of a golden age and about 10 years of absolute cringefest in his career.

There are lot of rappers I love from the 90's that don't make amazing music anymore, but even listening to some of their newer stuff doesn't make me want to smash my phone with hammer. With Kanye, I just cringe when he starts talking. Pretty much every album past Yeezus is like that, and even some songs on his older albums are like that too.

Also it seems that lot of people still rate his newer albums too so that is why I say he is overrated.

Yeah he was young and innovative and then got older and richer. Less hungry. That's what happens. Those first three or four albums were insane, nobody maintains that. He still hasn't outcringed Jay Z on Monster though.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2021, 07:34:34 am »
So we may conclude that Liverbloke is overrated?  ;)

yes he is the twat

also...

jazz

abba

the premier league - mainly the first 3 decades

syd barret

pearl jam

foo foghters - though dave grohl is a sound fella and i forgive him everything (love nirvana too)

jeff buckley

kiss

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2021, 10:18:04 am »
Overclocked gaming PCs

So guessing that you think people should be wanting slow/low-res/juttery graphics and poor low-framerate gameplay?

Fair play to them if they do, but doesn't appear to make much sense if you're a gamer.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2021, 10:20:35 am »
So guessing that you think people should be wanting slow/low-res/juttery graphics and poor low-framerate gameplay?

Fair play to them if they do, but doesn't appear to make much sense if you're a gamer.

No, they are just literally over rated ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2021, 10:24:41 am »

Are they not under rated? As in they are rated for X speed, but are actually capable of running at >X speed.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2021, 10:24:59 am »

Not understanding what you are saying? What do you mean? Your statement appears to make no sense.

Explain it to me..

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2021, 10:37:13 am »
Are they not under rated? As in they are rated for X speed, but are actually capable of running at >X speed.
Shit... good point ...don’t tell Andy ;D
W

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:19 am »
Overclocked gaming PCs

not really such a thing these days  :D

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2021, 10:41:33 am »
Putting a 13A fuse in a table lamp.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2021, 10:55:32 am »
Lobster.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2021, 11:22:21 am »
Tea ( the drink, the British variety)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2021, 11:52:32 am »
Life.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2021, 12:14:00 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2021, 12:22:24 pm »
Life.

The Des’ree song?

Although I think you’re right at the moment.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2021, 01:01:44 pm »
The Des’ree song?

Although I think you’re right at the moment.

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2021, 07:43:47 pm »
Football.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2021, 07:53:03 pm »
Bret Easton Ellis. Less than zero, great.  American Psycho, great. Everything else bloody awful, actually Chuck Palahniuk is massively overrated, as is Fight Club both written and visually

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2021, 08:23:55 pm »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2021, 11:46:09 pm »
Friends - Unfunny shite with ridiculously over-the-top canned laughter

All Marvel/DC movies - Long live CGI

John Wick - only watched the first one. Thought he was meant to be a hitman, not a superhero

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2021, 11:46:27 pm »

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2021, 12:55:23 am »
Who can forget the self indulgent Radiohead? Whiny white middle class self pitying nonsense. Particularly after today, I'm not keen on indulging and wallowing in the egotistical misery of their music.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:57:03 am by mattD »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2021, 05:25:52 pm »
Daniel Day-Lewis.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2021, 10:05:39 am »
Daniel Day-Lewis.

As the old saying goes, Nic Cage could do There Will Be Blood but DDL couldn't do Con Air.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2021, 02:46:18 pm »
As the old saying goes, Nic Cage could do There Will Be Blood but DDL couldn't do Con Air.

;D

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2021, 08:16:41 pm »
oral sex.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2021, 09:45:34 pm »
oral sex.

Sorry to hear that, that's a blow.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2021, 09:56:05 pm »
Sorry to hear that, that's a blow.

pretty much sucks...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2021, 10:11:25 pm »
Don’t know if many people actually rate them, although there are a few who think they are the best rock band in the world or some shit, but I fucking despise Muse with a passion. Bloated, unfocused, self indulgent, and extremely bad tasted music, accompanied by pretentious juvenile conspiracy shit lyrics.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2021, 11:06:04 pm »
Don’t know if many people actually rate them, although there are a few who think they are the best rock band in the world or some shit, but I fucking despise Muse with a passion. Bloated, unfocused, self indulgent, and extremely bad tasted music, accompanied by pretentious juvenile conspiracy shit lyrics.

Their older stuff is great, newer stuff mostly terrible.

Pretty much like every band really. I think their cover of Feeling Good is incredible though.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2021, 11:12:42 pm »
I've been thinking for ages about putting something like this up so people could forge lifelong grudges against each other and display their bad taste based on nothing more than 'it was boring' or 'I watched one episode and couldn't get into it', but thought better of it. Glad someone else did though. Anyone posting things in here should back up what they say in detail. For instance, off the top of my head:

Bob Dylan. Mid-sixties Dylan is great but he stops being musically interesting after that so the weight really falls on his songwriting, which is definitely patchy from then on. Every few years he'll bring out a pretty good album that people treat as if it's the second coming because it's so good in comparison to whatever series of embarrassments he's dished out in the few years before. And he's been awful live for decades and remains the single worst pop or rock star actor in history - a staggering achievement given the breadth and lows of the competition.

Shawshank. It's a good film, maybe the most good film ever made, in that it's well shot, performed well and hits the right emotional beats to get an audience reaction. But number one on the IMDb list? There isn't a shred of greatness about it, anything that's fresh or original or that says anything about the human condition that's deeper or less cliched than you'd get in the average episode of Glee. And the book is better. The convicts would also have just smashed a nerd like Dusfresne's teeth out if he'd threatened to bite down. Still far better than The Green Mile, but probably around Gump territory in terms of quality.

The Clash in the 80's. 70's Clash is good to fantastic, but half of Sandinista is almost unlistenable and a further quarter would have maybe scraped on to a B-side of the earlier albums. Combat Rock is a mixture of pub rock that would have been critically mauled if it had come from a less 'credible' artist, and tuneless, funkless, sonic experiments that forge a direct link to the horrors of BAD. And Bankrobber, coming from Joe 'son of a diplomat' Strummer, is one of the fakest anti-establishment songs ever written.

Mad Men. Great production design and pathos aren't enough to equal depth, especially when the constant despair and effort to portray every triumph as hollow or virtually meaningless renders the show monotonal, and practically every character is a one-dimensional postmodern cliche. It's pre-swinging 60's so it's obligatory to have a slick suited, semi-alcoholic alpha male, a bored housewife, closeted gay character and oblivious wife, faux beatnik, misogynistic representatives of the old guard, etc, etc, etc. It scores points for not being campy but it didn't deserve the plaudits or thinkpieces it got.

Feel free to disagree with these, but anyone who's mentioning the likes of Citizen Kane, The Stones, The Wire or Pulp Fiction should have something substantial to back it up with.

I'm with you on Mad Men and Shawshank. Liked them both, but neither are great.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2021, 11:24:14 pm »

I think Muse are quite highly rated by many, especially live.

I saw them in the L2 in Liverpool back in May of 2000 and they were brilliant. Funny enough, the then unheard of band called Coldplay were the support band. They were actually superb, and had the Muse audience eating out of their hands that night. Not long afterwards, Coldplay were suddenly massive and headlining big venues themselves. These days I can't listen to Coldplay at all, and only bother with the first Muse album, if I play them at all.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2021, 12:24:55 am »
Is it possible to love something and simultaneously think it's overrated?

I'm saying this as a massive Beach Boys fan, but...Pet Sounds.

There's great songs on it, production is incredible, etc.

Maybe it's the fact it, along with "What's Going On", "Sgt Peppers", "London Calling" were always, without fail at the top of best album ever polls in the NME, etc. Maybe the weight of expectation means they can never live up to the hype.

I reckon between those four albums you could make one truly great one!
We are Liverpool!

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2021, 12:35:18 am »
U2

Any fizzy drink