Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 54247 times)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Re: The Boys
« Reply #80 on: September 7, 2019, 10:38:10 am »
Karl Urban’s ‘cockney’ accent is fucking terrible though. I’ve never read the comics but thought he was supposed to be an Aussie, until my friend told me no Butcher is a cockney. Managed to overlook it given how good the rest was, but I just don’t understand why they cast him if he can’t do a proper cockney accent, or even just a general English accent. So bad, really winds me up.
#
His accent has been explained in an earlier post  ;)
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 7, 2019, 03:20:58 pm »
What’s annoying though is for a series that is genuinely funny, why didn’t they just include a 20 second dialogue where they’re taking the piss out of his accent and explain he was between London and Oz/NZ growing up, anything to at least highlight its a mess!

Anyway the twat from Green Street still has the worst accent though, yankish-cockney was fucking atrocious.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 7, 2019, 04:56:36 pm »
What’s annoying though is for a series that is genuinely funny, why didn’t they just include a 20 second dialogue where they’re taking the piss out of his accent and explain he was between London and Oz/NZ growing up, anything to at least highlight its a mess!

Anyway the twat from Green Street still has the worst accent though, yankish-cockney was fucking atrocious.

The English guy, you mean?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 7, 2019, 05:06:13 pm »

They hint at it a couple of times with some mundane dialogue. Like when Butcher turns up at a crime scene and the cop at the door says "What's with the accent?" Butcher says "What's with yours?" Sort of an inside thing where they knew it was a bit odd, so they addressed it that way.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 7, 2019, 09:16:46 pm »
The English guy, you mean?

No, the one from New Zealand  ;D

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 7, 2019, 09:18:01 pm »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 7, 2019, 10:08:56 pm »
No, the one from New Zealand  ;D

Charlie Hunnam? Or am I missing yet another ridiculous accent in that movie
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: September 8, 2019, 07:18:37 am »
Charlie Hunnam? Or am I missing yet another ridiculous accent in that movie

Think he means Elijah Wood.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 8, 2019, 07:32:57 am »

I thought he played an American in it? I only remember Hunnam sounding awful but it's been a while.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #89 on: September 8, 2019, 08:02:31 am »
Eljah Woods an American playing an American in it.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 8, 2019, 11:07:47 am »
No Hunnam, said the New Zealand one as I thought he was referencing The Boys. Obviously not Elijah Woods he played an American!

Read this earlier as well thought it was funny given the discussion around accents:

Toronto 2019: How US star Beanie Feldstein learned Wolverhampton accent

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #91 on: September 8, 2019, 01:00:01 pm »
The dolphin and lobster scenes are incredible :lmao Could watch an entire series just of him trying and failing to save sea creatures
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #92 on: September 8, 2019, 02:52:02 pm »
I thought he played an American in it? I only remember Hunnam sounding awful but it's been a while.

Right you are, my mistake. Been a long, long time since I last watched it.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #93 on: September 8, 2019, 05:42:47 pm »
Fucking brilliant series. Roll on S2

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 2, 2019, 11:46:17 am »
This series deserves much much more love.  My brother introduced me to it and I thought I'd give it a go when I got back from a few days working in Luxembourg.  Started the first one at around 11:30 and at 3:30am I was still up!

So much nuance in the characters, comedy, gore, sex...I mean, what's not to love? Brilliant stuff!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #95 on: October 3, 2019, 08:53:21 am »
Been a binge with it too. Absolutely fantastic. No idea what accent Karl Urban was aiming for but he's so watchable.

Given that’s all most of us seem to comment on it’s not bad is it. Accent from East London to rural kiwi (from earlier) seems about right to me.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #96 on: October 3, 2019, 04:52:11 pm »
Karl Urban’s ‘cockney’ accent is fucking terrible though. I’ve never read the comics but thought he was supposed to be an Aussie, until my friend told me no Butcher is a cockney. Managed to overlook it given how good the rest was, but I just don’t understand why they cast him if he can’t do a proper cockney accent, or even just a general English accent. So bad, really winds me up.
Honestly find this crazy

It's a bad accent, but you can understand what he's saying, and he's watchable and endearing as fuck. Loved the series, thought it'd be more self-contained than it actually is though so was a bit disappointed by the final episode.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2019, 08:08:53 pm »
Wow, just finished Ep8.

Amazing adaptation, given the source material. They've taken the heart of the comics and put it on a frame that would be coherent on screen, really well done.

The accents are strange. You've talked about Butcher's but Frenchie's as well. It's mostly good except when he curses and he pronounces a couple of words off. Not something a non-french speaker would notice but drove me mental.

They didn't go into the "teams" concept that's in the comics. Seems like here there's the 7 and jst some random dudes. Wonder if they will ramp that up in season 2. It's a big deal in the comics. There's no dog which is understandable but a pity.

I think it'll work as long as they keep doing what they did here and focus on the characters not the story.

Homelander is just brilliant casting. How he slips so seemlessly from his public persona to all the different fascades of his real personality, the slightly imbalanced facial structure, just perfect.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2019, 12:07:16 am »
Wow, just finished Ep8.

Amazing adaptation, given the source material. They've taken the heart of the comics and put it on a frame that would be coherent on screen, really well done.

The accents are strange. You've talked about Butcher's but Frenchie's as well. It's mostly good except when he curses and he pronounces a couple of words off. Not something a non-french speaker would notice but drove me mental.

They didn't go into the "teams" concept that's in the comics. Seems like here there's the 7 and jst some random dudes. Wonder if they will ramp that up in season 2. It's a big deal in the comics. There's no dog which is understandable but a pity.

I think it'll work as long as they keep doing what they did here and focus on the characters not the story.

Homelander is just brilliant casting. How he slips so seemlessly from his public persona to all the different fascades of his real personality, the slightly imbalanced facial structure, just perfect.

I think they'll go back and explore the teams, and introduce some of the other main characters from them in the second series. Popclaw was in the show, but she was part of Teenage Kix, so not sure if they'll do that one. Hopefully they will, because that story in the comic was hilarious in parts. They'll surely introduce the "Legend" and Stormfront is confirmed to be in series 2, albeit he is now a she, apparently.

You're right about Homelander, and it's one thing the show improves on drastically over the comic. In fact, the show does a better job with every member of the Seven apart from Starlight, who is pretty much the only developed character of them from the pages.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2019, 01:58:28 am »
You should all try Banshee, Homelander is the main guy and it's hyper violent.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2019, 08:44:12 am »
You should all try Banshee, Homelander is the main guy and it's hyper violent.
Holy shit !!! So he is !
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2019, 01:53:02 pm »
It’s great. Anthony Starr went from playing an anti hero to a hero that’s a massive c*nt.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2019, 12:49:42 am »
It’s great. Anthony Starr went from playing an anti hero to a hero that’s a massive c*nt.

A severely underrated actor.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2019, 09:58:00 pm »
I'm late to this but just watched the first episode and it was brilliant. Karl Urban is hilarious.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2019, 02:29:27 pm »
Great stuff. Won't quite fill the void left by the end of Preacher, but nothing will.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2019, 11:15:08 pm »
Great stuff. Won't quite fill the void left by the end of Preacher, but nothing will.

I gave up on Preacher halfway through the second season. Worth picking back up?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2019, 09:24:40 am »
Doesn't matter about his accent, really. Urban in this is so watchable, that you don't notice it too much. He absolutely nails Butcher's character and mannerisms. In the comic, he's been living in America for about 20 years, and you don't get a full impression of what he actually sounds like unless Hughie is doing an impression of him. Speaking of which, Quaid's accent sounds nothing like a Glasgow accent at all.

I guess it doesn't matter, it is utterly ridiculously though. It's that bad that actors auditioning for work would be thrown out the room in 30 seconds for being that far off.

Like the show though, it's funny, gory, has a few ideas and it clearly doesn't care about killing people off quite brutally.
Hope S2 is good.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2019, 09:43:15 am »
Same. I lost interest.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:15 pm »
Very much so. The second season slumps a bit half way through but from the end of season two to the final episode is pure rocket fuel.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2019, 02:39:15 pm »
This show is miles better than Preacher. I don't think I watched a single episode of S2 Preacher without falling asleep.

Going back to Homelander, can you imagine how scary a character like that would be in real life? An unstoppable death machine that can literally kill you with the blink of an eye. I love the way he barely uses any other power than his laser eyes because when you think about it, you don't really need to.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2019, 09:00:55 pm »
Eden Hazard (Frenchie) is boss in this.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2019, 12:16:43 pm »
Just watched this. What a fantastic series. Probably the best thing I've seen in a few years. As much as I thought Homelander was a brilliant character, I couldn't help keep comparing him to this  wonderful chap.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #112 on: December 6, 2019, 01:09:13 pm »
Season 2 trailer released in the US last night, however Prime for some reason have pulled the trailer, this is the only place (so far) on YT I can see it, looks decent (sorry don't know how to embed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNrxpdAaoXo&feature=youtu.be
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 6, 2019, 06:22:42 pm »
Season 2 trailer released in the US last night, however Prime for some reason have pulled the trailer, this is the only place (so far) on YT I can see it, looks decent (sorry don't know how to embed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNrxpdAaoXo&feature=youtu.be

Been taken down but this one is still up.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7otvie
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 7, 2019, 12:31:43 am »
Terror!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #115 on: December 7, 2019, 08:00:07 am »
One of the most amazing things I've seen.

Absolutely brilliant.

Can't wait for season 2.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 8, 2019, 10:29:31 am »

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 8, 2019, 02:23:13 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EBpYQVrFBxs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EBpYQVrFBxs</a>

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2020, 10:30:37 pm »
Second series starts on Amazon on September the 4th

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2020, 10:36:28 pm »
But I want to watch it now.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.