Author Topic: Chess World Championship  (Read 56977 times)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Chess World Championship
« Reply #440 on: December 16, 2019, 03:38:55 pm »
Magnus Carlsen currently (and proudly) top of the Official Premier League Fantasy Football League rankings. He'll probably be displaced tonight by Nick Tanner though (yeah, that Nick Tanner).

Didn't know he was interested in football. Which team does he support? Being from Norway, I'd imagine it's Liverpool... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: December 17, 2019, 05:43:48 am »
Didn't know he was interested in football. Which team does he support? Being from Norway, I'd imagine it's Liverpool... ;)

Real Madrid apparently  :-\ . Saw some footage of him recently doing 100 keepy ups in his bare feet. Pretty decent.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: December 25, 2019, 12:36:59 am »
Many happy Christmasses to all those who post in the chess thread.   :-*

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: January 4, 2020, 01:23:42 am »
Chosen by a good few as best game of 2019 in classical chess (ish) at least. Some crazy stuff going on here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UiNDlaBKVgg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UiNDlaBKVgg</a>

Marc Narciso Dublan vs Vitaliy Bernadskiy
Lorca Open (2019), Round 7 12-28-2019
King's Indian defence (E60)

Players receive 90 minutes for the entire game, plus a 30-second increment starting from move one.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: January 14, 2020, 03:25:37 pm »
Tata Steel Masters with Gustaffson & Svidler:

https://www.twitch.tv/chess24

Currently talking about prog rock, Genesis and Bret Easton Ellis ;D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #445 on: January 14, 2020, 07:24:24 pm »

Watching it on youtube. At around 1h50m Svidler confidently explains the tenets of the reptilian overlord theory espoused by David Icke. They are the chess equivalent of Test Match Special.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #446 on: January 14, 2020, 10:38:24 pm »

Been following Tata Steel a little bit.

Been more interested in the Pro Chess League recently.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2020, 08:01:26 am »
Did watch a bit on the weekend. Sadly they were just talking about chess when I was watching... ;)

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2020, 09:27:58 am »
Did watch a bit on the weekend. Sadly they were just talking about chess when I was watching... ;)

At one point in yesterday's commentary Svidler also mentions that he's trying to track down more episodes of A Bit of Fry and Laurie as well. It's the classic different differing duo partnership, with chess pundit Gustafsson paired with the amateur Blofeld Svidler providing colour. Perhaps they can get that other amateur Carlsen on to talk about hip hop. For "Beyond a Boundary", read "Over the Board".
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2020, 11:41:05 pm »
Been following Tata Steel a little bit.

Been more interested in the Pro Chess League recently.

Have only watched an hour or two yesterday but will hopefully get a grip of what's going on tomorrow. Never heard of the Pro Chess League. Don't understand how any of it comes about tbf! In tennis there are grand slams... there are big fights in boxing... in chess there's the world title bit and Luk van zwee? (sp) and this? and maybe 5 or 6 big ones? Candidates of course... but am very shabby with my chess structure knowledge.

Enjoyed their brief Monty Python chat the other day. Saw them get a bit of grief in youtube commenets from a few sad c*nts. On the whole I reckon the online chess community is among the worst but that's another story. Depresses me at times. Thank god for Half Man Half Biscuit.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: January 17, 2020, 06:13:16 pm »
Said earlier that I don't get to watch or follow professional chess as much as I'd like, but that is definitely the first time I've (part) watched Anish Giri win a game ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: February 14, 2020, 12:13:23 am »
Got cheated online today. First time for a long while. Thing was, he was playing fischer random. So game starts and he's quiet for 60 seconds roughly* (I play 4m + 2), then starts and slowly but surely crushes me. I mean to set up a rig like that you won't have fucked for months. Sorry, years.

*edit: takes a while to sort the pieces out.

edit2 Went thru his moves and all clocks up.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:16:28 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: March 3, 2020, 11:29:48 pm »
Spent a while thinking about online chess abuse this week. Once had a 'threat to life', and once had an impressive essay about how he knew where I lived.

The death threat stuff, when it's short sharp and shite you laugh off, but the detailed 'I know where you live' (even tho there's no evidence of this) always felt uncomfortable. When you have a certain relaishionshop with playing chess online which I have, it's still strange to receive this shit bollocks. Just remember...

they know NOTHING about chess.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: March 6, 2020, 04:00:07 pm »
Chess Grandmaster Stanislav Bogdanovich and his Chess pro girlfriend Alexandra Vernigora found dead.  Apparently from inhaling laughing gas

Bizarre. But I suppose being a Chess player means you don't get to laugh much in work.

Shame all the same and he seemed to be a pretty shit hot player

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51767082

RIP

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: December 10, 2020, 11:28:24 pm »

Bizarre. But I suppose being a Chess player means you don't get to laugh much in work.

Chess can be brilliantly funny.

Today played a game against somebody who said Hi, so I said Hi, to which he replied 'OMG, somebody said Hi back'.  So we exchanged short human tomes to eachother. He lost graciously. I think he was a child. Thankyou young man.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: November 10, 2021, 10:59:19 pm »
World Chess Championship 2021 is happening in 2 weeks time... Magnus Carlsen v Ian Nepomniachtchi. Sadly this is being played in Dubai so it doesn't matter.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: November 18, 2021, 11:39:50 pm »
Mods: Can we please drag this thread into the General Sports Section? I will start PM'ing you soon and you don't want that. I'll bore you to death... seriously.

99% sure that England (or UK?) is the only country in Europe that doesn't list Chess as a sport. So do it for that reason if nothing else.

Please PLEASE debate me that it is a sport. Although saying that. the World Champion Magnus Carlsen has been preparing to defend his crown by playing blitz games online and generally looking very relaxed. It's the equivalent of a boxer being photographed eating in a MacDonalds.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #457 on: November 29, 2021, 12:15:30 am »
Mods: Can we please drag this thread into the General Sports Section? I will start PM'ing you soon and you don't want that. I'll bore you to death... seriously.

99% sure that England (or UK?) is the only country in Europe that doesn't list Chess as a sport. So do it for that reason if nothing else.

Please PLEASE debate me that it is a sport. Although saying that. the World Champion Magnus Carlsen has been preparing to defend his crown by playing blitz games online and generally looking very relaxed. It's the equivalent of a boxer being photographed eating in a MacDonalds.

Seconded

Would be good to have some chat around it

Pretty surprised at Nepos first two white games - months of prep and he’s played into 2 Ruy’s where Carlson has no weaknesses

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #458 on: November 29, 2021, 12:35:29 am »
Spent a while thinking about online chess abuse this week. Once had a 'threat to life', and once had an impressive essay about how he knew where I lived.

The death threat stuff, when it's short sharp and shite you laugh off, but the detailed 'I know where you live' (even tho there's no evidence of this) always felt uncomfortable. When you have a certain relaishionshop with playing chess online which I have, it's still strange to receive this shit bollocks. Just remember...

they know NOTHING about chess.

I play on RedHotPawn. Never had a problem so far (One bloke seemed to think I was a girl and offered some fairly suggestive stuff we could get up to)

I reported him and they banned him.

Apart from that, everyone is respectful and decent.

Most of the games I play are in a couple of clans I'm a member of - so you quite ofter play the same people eventually

Also get challenged from time to time for ladder games.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: November 29, 2021, 01:03:10 am »
I play on RedHotPawn. Never had a problem so far (One bloke seemed to think I was a girl and offered some fairly suggestive stuff we could get up to)

I reported him and they banned him.

If you play 1.e4 and your opponent says he's thinking of a night out, he might be talking about the Alekhine defence (1...Nf6).
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #460 on: November 29, 2021, 02:57:22 am »
If you play 1.e4 and your opponent says he's thinking of a night out, he might be talking about the Alekhine defence (1...Nf6).

:D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: December 5, 2021, 02:11:30 am »

How's the PMing going?

Game 6 was truly something quite astonishing. Incredible endurance from both players, real drama with the missed opportunities around first time control and the time pressure Magnus was under. Then the Queen sacrifice followed by the rook sacrifice and the incredible patience and concentration from Magnus to grind out the win in the longest game in WC history.
Awesome chess.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: December 5, 2021, 02:51:57 am »
How's the PMing going?

Game 6 was truly something quite astonishing. Incredible endurance from both players, real drama with the missed opportunities around first time control and the time pressure Magnus was under. Then the Queen sacrifice followed by the rook sacrifice and the incredible patience and concentration from Magnus to grind out the win in the longest game in WC history.
Awesome chess.

Physical endurance, psychological tension, unbalancing the game to push for a decision, nerve under time pressure, exquisite endgame technique to squeeze a result from a near-dead position. Near-dead, not dead.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: December 5, 2021, 11:39:19 pm »
Physical endurance, psychological tension, unbalancing the game to push for a decision, nerve under time pressure, exquisite endgame technique to squeeze a result from a near-dead position. Near-dead, not dead.

Today's utter capitulation was a direct result of the psychological damage inflicted on Friday I'd say.

Chess at this level is brutal and Carlsen is truly the greatest.

Seems mad to say it already but I'm really looking forward to Carlsen Firouzja.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: December 6, 2021, 12:43:38 am »
Today's utter capitulation was a direct result of the psychological damage inflicted on Friday I'd say.

Chess at this level is brutal and Carlsen is truly the greatest.

Seems mad to say it already but I'm really looking forward to Carlsen Firouzja.

Wesley So had a hex over Carlsen after their Fischer chess match, until (I think it was So) Carlsen took him into an obscure endgame in one of their mini-tourneys. So hasn't been the same since.

Each World Champion has had his own mark on the history of chess. I think Carlsen will be remembered for his endgame technique. All the super GMs have a mastery of space and the middlegame, but Carlsen's backup plan of forcing his opponent into an excruciatingly precise endgame is unique to him. It's not even as though it's a sequence of moves that must be followed precisely. It's a sequence of plans, often with a near-inconceivable idea in mind, that has to be dreamed up even before you start on that sequence of moves. Queen and pawn endgames, mostly seen as drawn before him, are his particular specialty.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: December 7, 2021, 04:05:10 pm »
Today's blunder from Ian is unreal. Even I spotted it, and without any prompting or engine.

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: December 10, 2021, 03:43:33 pm »
All over bar the shouting.

..and now all over after game 11.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 04:04:24 pm by Redwhiteandnotblue »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #467 on: December 10, 2021, 10:56:10 pm »
Wesley So had a hex over Carlsen after their Fischer chess match, until (I think it was So) Carlsen took him into an obscure endgame in one of their mini-tourneys. So hasn't been the same since.

Each World Champion has had his own mark on the history of chess. I think Carlsen will be remembered for his endgame technique. All the super GMs have a mastery of space and the middlegame, but Carlsen's backup plan of forcing his opponent into an excruciatingly precise endgame is unique to him. It's not even as though it's a sequence of moves that must be followed precisely. It's a sequence of plans, often with a near-inconceivable idea in mind, that has to be dreamed up even before you start on that sequence of moves. Queen and pawn endgames, mostly seen as drawn before him, are his particular specialty.

Great post I think that’s exactly what he’ll be remembered for - and game 6 will be in his ‘greatest’ games not because it’s a perfect game but because it’s an example of constant application of pressure until the other man cracked
And that was a microcosm of the match - one of the better examples of a competitor cracking completely

To be honest it shows how good Carauna is and how well he played in London to hold va Carlsen 

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: December 10, 2021, 11:25:52 pm »
Great post I think that’s exactly what he’ll be remembered for - and game 6 will be in his ‘greatest’ games not because it’s a perfect game but because it’s an example of constant application of pressure until the other man cracked
And that was a microcosm of the match - one of the better examples of a competitor cracking completely

To be honest it shows how good Carauna is and how well he played in London to hold va Carlsen 

One of my favourite Carlsen moves was in one of his tourneys against Ding Liren IIRC, where he decided to have fun and just gave up a piece to completely close the position and make it actually impossible for Ding to break through. Svidler on commentary laughed when he played the move. It's rare in an actual game where a player has no breaks whatsoever; usually there is a pawn break or piece sacrifice somewhere, even if it loses the game.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: July 3, 2022, 05:54:22 pm »
Nepo wins the Candidates tournament with a game to spare, so he will play Carlsen again, assuming Carlsen defends his title.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: July 20, 2022, 06:37:01 pm »
There will be a new world champion in 2023, as Carlsen has declined to defend the title. From the 2022 Candidates, 1st and 2nd placed Nepo and Ding will play for the title.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #471 on: September 26, 2022, 09:50:42 pm »
Magnus Carlsen has some thoughts about Hans Niemann

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: September 26, 2022, 10:26:54 pm »
As a fellow countryman (and as a very mediocre chess player) I have followed Magnus over the the years.. Brilliant player; relatively good mood all round actually , but can be grumpy as hell when he lose.. But - amostly mad at himself, and sometimes at the press when he is down.. he can face the challenge also, but when he is this upset - it is either the best player we have ever seen or a cheat..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: September 26, 2022, 10:31:16 pm »
Have been following this in recent weeks and I'm wondering what will come next. Carlsen seems to have more info to either prove or at least substantiate his belief that Niemann is cheating, but for whatever reason can't talk about it. Read somewhere that chess.com have a database about cheating players and that people who were allowed to look at it had to sign an NDA. Might be something like that. Nepo not feeling comfortable playing Niemann seems to suggest there are issues that need to be addressed and this is not Carlsen being a whiny bitch.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #474 on: October 5, 2022, 02:58:58 pm »
Hans Niemann probably cheated in more than 100 chess games, investigation finds - Guardian

The latest bombshell in the scandal that has rocked the chess world to its foundation dropped on Tuesday when an investigation into the games of Hans Niemann found the American grandmaster has cheated far more frequently than previously disclosed.

The 72-page report, conducted by Chess.com and initially reviewed by the Wall Street Journal, found that Niemann “likely received illegal assistance in more than 100 online games” as recently as 2020, including in events where prize money was at stake.

The suspicions around Niemann, a 19-year-old who has made a meteoric ascent into the world’s top 50 over the past four years, were initially amplified last month when the world champion Magnus Carlsen first suggested, then outright declared, the American was winning through illegitimate means.

Niemann has mounted a vigorous denial of the allegations, though he did confess to violating the rules of fair play at least twice in the past by using the assistance of chess engines: first as a 12-year-old in an online tournament, and then as a 16-year-old playing unrated games while streaming.

But the Chess.com report, which relied on cheating-detection tools including a comparison of a player’s moves to those recommended by powerful supercomputers, has offered compelling data-driven evidence that dramatically contradicts those statements. The investigation made no conclusions regarding Niemann’s over-the-board games, but did flag contests from six of his stronger in-person events, stating they “merit further investigation based on the data”.

The full investigation, which was made public on Tuesday evening, stated that Niemann privately confessed to the allegations, and that he was subsequently banned from for a period of time from Chess.com, the world’s most popular chess platform.

The Chess.com report backed up Carlsen’s assessment of Niemann’s uncommonly rapid climb up Fide’s world ratings – a gain of 350 Elo points in four years and an astonishing surge from 2,500 to 2,600 in just three months – describing his rise as “statistically extraordinary” while stopping short of concluding that he’s cheated in any over-the-board games.

“Outside his online play, Hans is the fastest rising top player in Classical [over-the-board] chess in modern history,” the report said. “Looking purely at rating, Hans should be classified as a member of this group of top young players. While we don’t doubt that Hans is a talented player, we note that his results are statistically extraordinary.”

The report further explains the methodology behind Chess.com’s cheat-detection tools, which include: “analytics that compare moves to those recommended by chess engines; studies of a player’s past performance and strength profile; monitoring behavior such as players opening up other browsers while playing; and input from grandmaster fair play analysts”. Notably, it revealed that “dozens” of grandmasters have been caught cheating on Chess.com, including some of the world’s current top 100, all of whom confessed.

It also addressed Niemann’s curious postgame analysis of his stunning win over Carlsen in St Louis, which top players at the time characterised as “at odds with the level of preparation that Hans claimed was at play in the game and the level of analysis needed to defeat the World Chess Champion”.

Fide, the sport’s world governing body, issued a statement last week saying it will convene its own three-person panel to look into the allegations.

“The focus of the investigation would be twofold: checking the world champion’s claims of alleged cheating by Niemann and Niemann’s self-statement regarding online cheating,” it read. “The panel will ensure a fair ruling, protecting the rights of both parties during the investigation.”
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: October 5, 2022, 04:14:01 pm »
I guess a question I have would be why aren't they naming the other dozens? Surely they merit further investigation also?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: October 5, 2022, 05:15:32 pm »
PED's in Chess?  :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #477 on: October 5, 2022, 05:28:29 pm »
PED's in Chess?  :D

Vibrating anal beads.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: October 5, 2022, 07:49:08 pm »
I guess a question I have would be why aren't they naming the other dozens? Surely they merit further investigation also?

I would imagine they have done so and haven't found any evidence of them cheating again.

It looks like chess.com are happy to let proven cheaters continue to use their platform, if they confess, create a new account and promise to be good. At least, if they're well known or at least not completely unknown people. I mean, they were giving Niemann every chance in the world even after finding out that it wasn't just some kid looking at how far he can take it. He clearly said it himself. He tried to boost his rating to stay relevant for his Twitch followers. I mean, that's not just some kid being a fool, it's a guy trying to make money from cheating.

We've also seen it with the way they handled Dlugy, Niemann's mentor/coach/whatever, who was also caught cheating multiple times, and still didn't get kicked off the platform.

I have no idea about whehter Niemann cheated over the board, but he clearly cheated online and chess.com should have banned him much sooner. I can see why they would want to give him another chance after they caught him the first time, because he was still a kid and he cheated twice (according to their data). But then they caught him again in 2020 and it was going on over the period of a few months and in multiple games against other players and even in tournaments? Nah, that was the time to ban him, especially when he came out with the reason why he did it.