Author Topic: The Boys Pen and other memories  (Read 10532 times)

Offline 6 Euros

• Soon to be worth about a tenner!
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The Boys Pen and other memories
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:38:56 pm »
Anyone recognise themselves? Found this on the Growing up in Anfield group on facebook.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:14:21 pm by The 5th Benitle »
"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football, but with triers who gave one hundred percent." Bob Paisley on the Kop

Offline 6 Euros

• Anny Roader
Re: The Boys Pen Anfield
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44:54 pm »
And another blast from the past three legends having a pint in the Albert
"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football, but with triers who gave one hundred percent." Bob Paisley on the Kop

Offline 6 Euros

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:59 pm »
Anyone think they could take Shanks at Subbuteo?

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:32 am »
Hmmmm....
Continually on 11,420.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:29:22 am »
Anyone recognise themselves? Found this on the Growing up in Anfield group on facebook.

Stick it in the Arl Arse thread mate.Them old gits will never find their way in here. ;)
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:34:44 am »
Jimmy Saville lurker, he'd have been battered!
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:20 am »

Terry Mac, Jocky Hansen and is that Souness's half a head?
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline 6 Euros

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:24:02 am »
Terry Mac, Jocky Hansen and is that Souness's half a head?

It is, I think that photo was taken by the old landlord of The Albert, Bill Cowpland.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:34 am »

Terry Mc with a pint in his hand - shocker !

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »

Stick it in the Arl Arse thread mate.Them old gits will never find their way in here. ;)
I don't know why I've only just spotted it. Happy days. When I feel like giving it the proper Arl Arse Luxury thread... "I cut me teeth in the Boy's Pen."
Well, someone cut them for me, and me lip and nose. But look at the fine figure of a man it made of me.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:19:47 pm »
Just blew the picture up. I was on the Kop by then. That pic's taken in the 70's. The kids are a bit better dressed than my day. Flares and Lumber Jack coats.... Luxury.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 01:26:13 pm »
Soft wollyback that i am i used to sit on me daddys lap in the main stand and stare at the boys pen in fear and wonder.
I always thought i was too young to go in and by the time I was old enough It had gone .. but looking at those kids i cant have been much younger them then.  Still i would never have made it out alive.

Any pictures of it full ?

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:37:03 pm »
Still fuckin expensive then to get in  7 bob ;D

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:56 pm »
My Anfield debut was the first game of the 1972-73 season v Man City (56,000). I was 10 and had come to Liverpool with my dad and the landlord of the house where we had our Colwyn Bay summer holiday. He was a lovely bloke and a big Liverpool supporter. The idea was that this fella and my dad would go on the Anny Road and I'd be put in the pen so I could be next to my beloved Spion Kop. That was the idea.

But on the way to the ground my dad's mate persuaded him it wouldn't be a good idea. He'd done the same with his own young son about 5 years before and the lad had been absolutely traumatised. They'd spotted he was alone, realised he was Welsh, nicked his pocket money, his programme and his tiger belt and spent much of the time spitting into his long hair and tying it into knots. The fella told all this like it was some kind of good joke, but I listened in absolute horror, thought about my own Yorkshire accent and decided I'd probably be better off in the Anny Road with the grown-ups. 

A very good choice as it turned out. I was right up against the fence by the Kemlyn and therefore had an excellent view of Larry Lloyd and Wyn Davies head-butting each other unconscious. It was a moment of unforgettable violence - made more tolerable in my young mind, I guess, by the knowledge that far worse atrocities were happening high up in the right-hand corner of the Kop. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 01:45:00 pm »
Just blew the picture up. I was on the Kop by then. That pic's taken in the 70's. The kids are a bit better dressed than my day. Flares and Lumber Jack coats.... Luxury.

68-70 I was in there, FS. Safer in the kop! Couldn't wait for three quarter time when the gates opened and there'd be a mass exodus. Was never one for jibbing over along the girders. Some proper gymnasts there back then put Louis Smith to shame
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:24 pm »
A hiding was inititation, mate. It happened to most of us. But once that was out the way, it got really bad. Nah. I've still got a couple of mates that I first met in the pen about 50 years ago. And I only have good memories of it.... Kopites are Gobshites.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 01:48:47 pm »
68-70 I was in there, FS. Safer in the kop! Couldn't wait for three quarter time when the gates opened and there'd be a mass exodus. Was never one for jibbing over along the girders. Some proper gymnasts there back then put Louis Smith to shame
No, mate. I never did have the bottle for that. I remember climbing up at one game, getting miles up the fence, cacking out and climbing down. I'm still traumatised from the gyp I got for bottling it.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 01:51:53 pm »
It's funny you say that. We came back three days later to see the Liverpool-Man Utd night match - another 56 thou (how strange, by the way, that Liverpool's first two games of the season were both at home v the Manc clubs). Of course I was dreaming of Anfield round the clock by then. But I'm not sure I'd have wanted to get back on the horse so quickly if I'd been thrown off it in the Boys Pen v City.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rhylred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 01:52:43 pm »
Remember when a few of us got done on the Shiel Rd Circular,top deck,load of scallies got on found out we were from north wales and that was it,only thing that stopped me Air Wair getting knicked
was they where the crap ones,like half the size of the normals&i could never get them ox blood..

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 01:58:55 pm »
No, mate. I never did have the bottle for that. I remember climbing up at one game, getting miles up the fence, cacking out and climbing down. I'm still traumatised from the gyp I got for bottling it.

Fuck that, I'd rather get a belt off Walrus

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 01:59:44 pm »
Remember when a few of us got done on the Shiel Rd Circular,top deck,load of scallies got on found out we were from north wales and that was it,only thing that stopped me Air Wair getting knicked
was they where the crap ones,like half the size of the normals&i could never get them ox blood..

We should have our OOTer 1970s thread! If people knew what it was like coming to Anfield with a non-scouse accent in the 70s they'd be amazed. Especially (in my case) when we were playing Leeds.

Nah, I loved it really and most Kopites seemed proud of the cosmopolitan nature of the support the club was starting to draw.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 01:59:48 pm »

Not the dreaded monkey boots, mate?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:11 pm »
Talking of those nippers who would spend the entire 90 minutes up in the girders, I've always sought corroboration for something I saw on the Kop in the mid 1970s. There was a young lad who'd crawled along the ironwork right to the front of the roof above the goal. At one point in the match one of players - I want to say Emlyn - took a diabolical shot which cannoned right into him on his high perch.  I remember him swaying and tottering a bit and all the Kopites below were either getting ready to catch him as he fell or get out of the way. The odd thing was I don't believe Hughes - or any of the players - realised what had happened. Nor did most of the Kop who started singing 'He shot, he missed, he must be.....' etc

It must have been before 1978 when those big red anti-climb 'boxes' suddenly appeared at the base of the pillars holding up the roof.   

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Boys Pen and other memories
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:11 pm »
such a quality thread

i can imagine it perfectly to be honest (with the help of this thread) despite it being well before my time

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:44 am »
This shouldn't be on the history board. It should be out there for everyone to see.

I was made up with that game last night. I'm still made up with it this morning. Anfield was built on matches like that, valiant defeat is part of our thing. Shankly took a look at Anfield... a shack, a shack full of people that are always getting twatted, but go down fighting.

In honesty, the pen was savage. It didn't take a Welsh or a Yorkshire accent to get battered and ripped off. I was born about a five minute walk from Anfield. I used to get battered and robbed an all. My Nan, God love her, knitted me a match jumper. She stitched Liverpool FC into the back, just like Shanks trackie. On the front it had Shanks first great team stitched in, all in the  proper formation of the day, with goal posts stitched round Lawrence. Me Granda made me a little stool to stand on with Liverpool painted on it. They used to make us big Rosettes out of crape paper. We was posh. No wonder I got a hiding. Nowadays, I'm more concerned about kids having no shoes. Bring back the Boy's Pen. Raise another generation. Yorkshire, Wales, Locals, get em in.

I bet, pound to a penny, all the lads that got a life long love for Anfield, fell in love with the atmosphere years before they got onto the football. Of course, I loved Big Rowdy, The Saint and Sir Rodger, but it was about going the match, being part of. We come not to play, my arse.

Offline rhylred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:11 am »
Not the dreaded monkey boots, mate?
No even they were copies from Timpsons

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »
No even they were copies from Timpsons
Golfers? Brouges? Como's?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 04:20:30 pm »
This shouldn't be on the history board. It should be out there for everyone to see.
Can I ask why you think that mate, surely this is perfectly suited to the History Board?