Author Topic: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May  (Read 26496 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2017, 12:59:41 am »
How did Hammond come out of that one ok?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2017, 03:15:36 am »
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/12/a-forensic-debunking-of-the-grand-tours-trip-to-switzerland/

That really is quite an insane article, the show might sometimes be factual by accident, that really isn't the primary purpose of it which is pretty much last of the summer wine with shinier toys and as far as the charger availability, surely that is something that should be raised in an episode featuring an electric car so prominently since not everywhere is as well equipped with them as that part of Switzerland.

There are plenty of actual reasons to complain about TGT, most of the in-studio stuff is still fucking dire for example, was anyone really pining for this show to have a version of star in a reasonably priced car to the extent that they needed to bring back that two person in one episode gimmick that they tried and abandoned in an earlier season of Top Gear itself?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2017, 08:23:55 am »
It would be ok if the people watching it treated Clarkson, May and Hammond in the way they used to treat Alf Garnet. If the 'humour' is that a bunch of unfunny xenophobes, who are deep into their mid-life crises, can't get to grips with the modern world then fine. Sadly I think that the people who watch that shite tend to identify with Clarkson's world view rather than laugh at it's pathetic absurdity.

TGT Humour 101:

Foreigners are a bit poncy (and probably all gay - which is a bad thing in TGT world).
Healthy eating is for foreigners, poofs and birds.
Electric cars are for foreigners, poofs and birds... (there's a pattern to this).
Spending your working life in a sub-homoerotic fantasy family (Clarkson as bear-daddy, May as the 'wife' and Hammond the weird man-baby) with no women is completely normal. Spending time with women is for foreigners, poofs and other women.
And of course:

Petrol cars are for real men...

So you did like it, or you didn’t like it?

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2017, 08:39:47 am »
The problem this guy makes is thinking The Grand Tour is a factual show when it's clearly more an entertainment show, and I don't think they even attempt to hide that fact. TG was no different, and a lot of the film elements were extremely staged, scripted and situations set up.

I agree and disagree. I actually quite liked the post on Gizmodo as it was informative. It actually cuts into the Grand Tour and asks the presenters to show a responsibility to the viewers. Look just because everybody reads the daily mail, doesn't make them a racist, but a certain proportion will be persuaded by the bile that they spew.

Likewise not everybody that goes to a pub is an alcoholic. But a fair proportion will be.

The pub landlord, the daily mail don't care about there responsibility to there customers, but perhaps TGT should. After all we will all need to be driving electric cars in the next 20-30 years if we are to have a future on this planet.

TGT viewers aren't just kids, they are also petrol heads, and they are the ones that need convincing that there is a future in electric, because they are the ones that will be the early adopters as a lover of cars. Why can't it be an entertainment show without being xenophobic, homophobic and factually incorrect at every minute that ticks by?

Why can't they still make it entertaining without the bullsh*t that goes with it.

Honestly it'd make for a much better program in my opinion.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2017, 08:47:44 am »
...TGT viewers aren't just kids...    ...they are the ones that need convincing that there is a future in electric, because they are the ones that will be the early adopters as a lover of cars. Why can't it be an entertainment show without being xenophobic, homophobic and factually incorrect at every minute that ticks by?...

In a nutshell.

Edit - but of course the answer to the 'why' is that Clarkson is an arrogant, xenophobic, Tory prick who writes a column for the S*n for fucks sake. I have no idea why he is defended on here of all places.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:51:19 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2017, 09:28:55 am »
It's only a TV show.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:27 am »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2017, 09:57:01 am »
Is it?

Yep. It's merely entertainment.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2017, 10:12:24 am »
Yep. It's merely entertainment.

OK, I stand corrected - it's merely xenophobic, homophobic, right-wing, climate-change-denying, 'entertainment' presented by a right-wing prick who writes for the S*n.

If that's what floats your boat mate...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:58 am »
Watched the first one in the new series reminded me of something they did on Top Gear with super cars trying to get around narrow back streets.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:45:37 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2017, 10:24:40 am »
OK, I stand corrected - it's merely xenophobic, homophobic, right-wing, climate-change-denying, 'entertainment' presented by a right-wing prick who writes for the S*n.

He’s an odd character.. I think he’s parodying being those things most  of the time whilst occasionally becoming those things..
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:30:55 am by Tepid T₂O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2017, 10:28:33 am »

If you don't like it, don't watch it. There's loads of shit I don't either like or agree with or have issues with. You know what? I just don't watch/read/etc them.

You probably also shouldn't believe everything clarkson either says or writes because I doubt he does.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:22 pm »
Watched the first one in the new series reminded me of something they did on Top Gear with super cars trying to get around narrow back streets.

That stuff always gives me anxiety, like those videos of people sliding into each other in an icy hill.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
If you don't like it, don't watch it. There's loads of shit I don't either like or agree with or have issues with. You know what? I just don't watch/read/etc them.

You probably also shouldn't believe everything clarkson either says or writes because I doubt he does.

I don’t watch it. There’s a thread on here though and I’m commenting on that. As for not believing everything he writes. Are you suggesting he’s actually a leftie and just acts like a massive right wing prick? That’s a bit of a worry when you read the comments his fans write. They clearly don’t get the ironic construct.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2017, 12:48:11 am »
Jeremy Clarkson wears stonewashed boot cut jeans. With a suit jacket.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2017, 01:14:20 am »
Jeremy Clarkson wears stonewashed boot cut jeans. With a suit jacket.

Couldn't help but notice the ones he wore in the studio had fucked up hems from where he'd walked on them.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2017, 01:17:19 am »
Couldn't help but notice the ones he wore in the studio had fucked up hems from where he'd walked on them.
He was under a strong challenge from Martin Roberts from Homes Under The Hammer but came out strong and managed to hold his lead as the shittest dressed man on television.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2017, 08:15:33 am »
That Chiron was something else, holy shit

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2017, 12:19:10 am »
That Chiron was something else, holy shit

Yep, just watched it...an insane machine and no mistake
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2017, 01:01:32 pm »
I don’t watch it. There’s a thread on here though and I’m commenting on that. As for not believing everything he writes. Are you suggesting he’s actually a leftie and just acts like a massive right wing prick? That’s a bit of a worry when you read the comments his fans write. They clearly don’t get the ironic construct.

Wonder how his fans felt about his vote to remain.
:D

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2017, 01:11:43 pm »
No idea why people get wound up about this, it's just a TV show for fucks sake. Some people need to grow up.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2019, 05:37:13 pm »
Series 3 first episode is up on Amazon at the moment.I believe they have binned the guests.13 episodes in total. Just seen the montage and theres some stunning scenery.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2019, 07:13:30 pm »
I do still watch this, just for the cars and the photography is quite nice, but honestly it's the same old shtick from them. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2019, 08:14:00 pm »
it is what it is. if you like it, you'll like it, if you don't, then you won't.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 8, 2019, 02:53:49 am »
Brilliant biography on Jim Clark
When they do stuff like the Clark bit, they really are head and shoulders above anything else.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2019, 02:55:45 am by nuts100 »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #146 on: February 8, 2019, 05:14:24 pm »
The Jim Clark bit was excellent, a real great bit of filming. The three of them together can be tough to watch sometimes (I can just about manage an hour of them), but they do make some fantastic TV at times.

Love the Urus too, it’s even better in person as well. Saw Firmino yesterday in a bright yellow one like Clarkson was driving  ;D

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2019, 12:23:43 pm »
Just read the article. It does seem just repeatition of what everyone knew before Clarkson was fired from the BBC.  The show is clearly scripted for entertainment and was becoming tired and stale. Writing something like that article is as redundant as many of the show gags which would explain why Clarkson et al decided this series would be their last.

EDIT. Seems it may not be their last as Clarkson has since highlighted. It has gotten very stale to me and just seems to be the same thing over and over.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:17:21 pm by AndyInVA »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2019, 02:35:49 pm »
Writing something like that article is as redundant as many of the show gags which would explain why Clarkson et al decided this series would be their last.

It's been renewed for a 4th series.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2019, 03:20:13 pm »
It's been renewed for a 4th series.

It's just going to be specials after this series - Richard Porter confirmed it himself on the Gareth Jones podcast.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2019, 04:18:49 pm »
These 3 tits still going are they? May is less of a tit than the other two to be fair.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2019, 05:15:28 pm »
What happened with LeBlanc?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:09 pm »
What happened with LeBlanc?

In regards to Top Gear? Wants to spend more time with his family in the US
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2019, 12:09:37 am »
Brilliant biography on Jim Clark
When they do stuff like the Clark bit, they really are head and shoulders above anything else.

Came on to say something similar. Just been catching up today and the piece on Jim Clark was outstanding.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2019, 02:15:56 pm »
Just read the article. It does seem just repeatition of what everyone knew before Clarkson was fired from the BBC.  The show is clearly scripted for entertainment and was becoming tired and stale.

There was a time where it wasn't obvious where the line between scripted and natural buffoonery began and ended with their road trips. Sometimes you guessed it was a set up (the rednecks in the US) but laughed anyway at the thought of it being true. Other times clearly were random (like May having his legs whipped out from under him by that tow-rope and banging his head), and the results of the amphibious vehicles.

But as they seemed to try harder, it became more blatantly staged and rigged, and became stale. 
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2019, 09:53:05 pm »
The delivery to Colombia from 'GAK' was quite funny.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2019, 12:22:09 am »
Say what you want about the presenters, however the trip through Scotland, the cinematography was just stunning.

They sometimes get it absolutely spot on

Scotland, stunning country

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »
Say what you want about the presenters, however the trip through Scotland, the cinematography was just stunning.

They sometimes get it absolutely spot on

Scotland, stunning country

Just watched it. That scenery is absolutely stunning.

Anyone know which road they took that 'shortcut' on ? I want to drive it. Not the 500 tour route which i know but their version of it
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 4, 2019, 12:52:23 am »
It'd be fascinating if they did a spin-off documentary on the work the mechanics/contractors do building and maintaining their vehicles. It's a few galaxies removed from Edd China fettling a Triumph Stag back to life.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 7, 2019, 04:20:12 pm »
Really enjoyed the Mongolia special, real adventure and very funny, seems less scripted than the usual specials.