Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 247277 times)

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cancer
« Reply #2280 on: March 28, 2018, 10:23:41 pm »
Had my results appointment this morning. I am thrilled to write that I am officially 1 year out and all clear! Onwards and upwards.

I hope you're coping as best as you can Ziltoid. Thinking of you and your Dad. 

Great news, nice to read something positive in this thread.
choose Life.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2281 on: March 28, 2018, 11:43:33 pm »
Good to hear the news Su, and thanks for the best wishes.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2282 on: March 31, 2018, 09:23:06 pm »
Managed to get out today with Sam

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #2283 on: April 1, 2018, 06:55:19 pm »
Lost my dad for this bastard some years ago.
Keep the faith.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2284 on: May 4, 2018, 12:06:35 pm »
So it's been 6 months today since my mum passed and it gets no easier harder if owt to be honest but why I write in here today is I have just got back from a hospital appointment with my step dad and they have said he has cancer in his kidney, they cant operate yet as he is still weak from not long being released from hospital for a diffrent thing and also has a weak heart.  He has got to see a anesthetist to see if he will make it through a operation.  Best part is we knew nothing about this and we thought he was going in for a ultrasound about a water infection check up as all the letter said was have a full bladder but they didn't even do anything.  Wish everyone in here all the best.
choose Life.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2285 on: May 4, 2018, 01:07:45 pm »
So it's been 6 months today since my mum passed and it gets no easier harder if owt to be honest but why I write in here today is I have just got back from a hospital appointment with my step dad and they have said he has cancer in his kidney, they cant operate yet as he is still weak from not long being released from hospital for a diffrent thing and also has a weak heart.  He has got to see a anesthetist to see if he will make it through a operation.  Best part is we knew nothing about this and we thought he was going in for a ultrasound about a water infection check up as all the letter said was have a full bladder but they didn't even do anything.  Wish everyone in here all the best.

Terrible news and sorry to hear it

Hopefully the anethatist gives you better news soon

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #2286 on: May 19, 2018, 06:34:04 am »
Terrible news to receive - know full well the anguished pain of such awful news. Wishes for the best of outcomes to all the family JLStretton. One day we will beat this bastard deadly stealer of lives.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2287 on: May 25, 2018, 08:12:09 pm »
Ten years ago last month my dad passed away from an aggressive form of bowel cancer.

It hit me hard last month. Ran London marathon and I felt emotional every time I saw or went past a bowel cancer cheer station or runner.

Getting to the final has brought it all back up. The reds brought us together and it's time like this I miss him even more.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #2288 on: May 26, 2018, 07:11:27 pm »
Ten years ago last month my dad passed away from an aggressive form of bowel cancer.

It hit me hard last month. Ran London marathon and I felt emotional every time I saw or went past a bowel cancer cheer station or runner.

Getting to the final has brought it all back up. The reds brought us together and it's time like this I miss him even more.

Thoughts with you, mate, great effort with the marathon. Keep strong.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #2289 on: May 26, 2018, 07:16:27 pm »

YNWA

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #2290 on: May 28, 2018, 10:01:38 am »

This resonates very well with me. I lost my dad to cancer 3½ months before Istanbul and I sat all alone in the dark that night and watched the drama unfold. Needless to say I was in tears after the win because of all the emotions from the match itself but also because he was the one who taught me to love LFC and we couldn't share it that night. That was a very special night for me on many levels.

YNWA!

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2291 on: May 28, 2018, 03:15:25 pm »
This resonates very well with me. I lost my dad to cancer 3½ months before Istanbul and I sat all alone in the dark that night and watched the drama unfold. Needless to say I was in tears after the win because of all the emotions from the match itself but also because he was the one who taught me to love LFC and we couldn't share it that night. That was a very special night for me on many levels.

YNWA!

Can't imagine what that would have been like. I remember speaking to him the day after in Istanbul and I could still hear the emotion in his voice. Thoughts with you mate.

Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:17:17 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2292 on: July 16, 2018, 09:11:01 pm »
I'm in awe of my sister-in-law, my wife's sister.  She's got advanced cancer, in the brain, liver, lungs and pancreas.  Got rushed into A&E recently, unconscious and having seizures.  They stabilized her but she remained unconscious and the doctor came out and told us that sadly this was an end of life situation and she most likely only had hours to live.  We stayed all day and all evening, then they moved her into a private room so that my brother-in-law could stay with her and we took our teenage niece and nephew home with us. 

Next morning we went back and she had regained consciousness briefly, but was still out of it.  We stayed a while and then took the kids out for a few hours.  When we got back she was conscious and managed to say to my wife, 'I'm not ready yet'.  Heartbreaking and astounding at the same time.  When we got back the next morning she was off the oxygen, off the drips and off the 'machines that go ping' and sitting up in bed drinking a cup of tea!  Over the next fews days she continued to improve to the point when they said she could either go into the local hospice or go home and a team would be sent round.  She opted to go home.  The palliative care team came round the next day and asked if she would like to begin end of life treatment. She politely told them that she most definitely would not and off they went.  She's still at home and looking forward to having a summer with the kids when they break up from school.  I just had to share this.  She's a real fighter and I hope I would have an ounce of her bravery and determination.  I'm simply in awe of her.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2293 on: August 6, 2018, 08:33:07 pm »
Red mist that's a wonderful story. I know it's been a while since your post. Hope it's going as good as it can

Real punch in the gut. It's just over ten years since we lost my old man to bowel cancer and now mum has had some abnormal results on her screening and a not great outcome from her colonoscopy.

I'm trying my best for her and my sister. Being the child who's ok with it all.  In all honesty I'm not. Im 38 and I don't want to loose my mum

Mum's had her appointment now it's bowel cancer but localised so probably the best outcome we could have expected from the colonoscopy.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:38:27 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2294 on: August 16, 2018, 01:37:21 pm »
Thanks Mark. Sadly she passed away at the weekend, thankfully peacefully in her sleep and on her own terms, at home with her family by her side. She taught us all a lot about how to fight, and if I’ve got a tenth of her bravery when my time comes I’ll be a happy man.

Sorry to hear that about your mum but glad it’s localised. Stay positive mate.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2295 on: August 19, 2018, 04:39:34 pm »
Had the devastating news yesterday that my son possibly has testicular cancer.

He's known about 5wks but wanted to tell me in person rather than over the phone and yesterday was his first opportunity.

He's still waiting for results but they've already removed his right testee on the advice of his neurologist, that was about 2wks ago. 

I guess until he gets the results we don't know what's next.

He's 32.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2296 on: August 19, 2018, 06:33:02 pm »

He's known about 5wks but wanted to tell me in person rather than over the phone and yesterday was his first opportunity.

He's still waiting for results but they've already removed his right testee on the advice of his neurologist, that was about 2wks ago. 

He's 32.

Ah shit Debs that's awful for you. Thoughts are with you, keep us informed.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2297 on: August 19, 2018, 08:18:47 pm »
My dad has stage 4 lung cancer. He was diagnosed after appearing to be suffering what he thought was a mini stroke while taking my son to lapland Xmas 2015. Turned out to be a tumour. After scans he was found to have tumours in his lung and on his adrenal gland as well.
It was horrible, he was so scared and my mum and sisters devastated.
The brain tumour was located where the consultants believed they had a good chance of treating it with radiotherapy but the outcome was grim otherwise.
He had the radiotherapy and it was succesful. 1 down, 2 to go.
Surgery was not an option and so he started chemo, cisplatin i believe.  It was ok at first, he was receiving the maximum dose each time and the tumours got hammered by the treatments. The treatments continued for nearly a year . No hair loss but he got progressively sicker and weaker until even reduced doses were becoming life threatening.
We were told chemo would have to stop and that he had actually been on it for 6-8 months longer than they had anticipated considering his diagnosis. We also received the devastating news that his tumours had begun to grow again.
His consultant said there was something else they wished to try. His bloodwork showed he was a possible candidate for a 2 year treatment of immunotherapy. He said to go for it and he is now in the 2nd year of this. The tumours are now pin-prick sized, possibly just scar tissue. The treatment has had side effects requiring steroids and breaks occasionally but nowhere near as debilitating as chemo and most importantly appears to be working.
We are just pleased he is still here with us and can live a relatively normal life (as much as you can do with ongoing cancer treatment) The NHS, despite the best efforts of the Nasty Party, have been fantastic and I have nothing but the highest regards for them.
I cycled LEJOG solo to raise money for cancer research. I wanted to do something because I felt so helpless otherwise. At the time I'd planned it i thought it was going to be done in his memory, but despite suffering terribly from chemo, he was there to greet me at the end which was fantastic.
We still don't know how it's going to pan out but really I'm just so thankful he is still here for now.

My best wishes to any fellow rawkites going through anything similar and my condolences and deepest sympathy for any whose loved ones have lost the fight to this dreadful disease.
Never lose hope and YNWA.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2298 on: August 19, 2018, 09:18:37 pm »
Ah shit Debs that's awful for you. Thoughts are with you, keep us informed.
Thanks John and will do.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:02:52 am by reddebs »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2299 on: August 20, 2018, 01:57:02 am »
I'm just so thankful he is still here for now.
Enjoy every week, day and hour you can with him mate.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2300 on: August 21, 2018, 12:07:15 pm »

He's 32.

Sounds much like myself. I was diagnosed 2,5 years ago and had my right testee removed within 13 days of the diagnose. Luckily for me the tumor was encapsulated and hadn't spread at all, so I didn't have to go through radiation og chemo.

I was in shock but my wife read a lot about testee cancer and it turns out it's one of the "better" cancers to be diagnosed with in terms of being cured and living many years even if the cancer has spread. So for what it's worth try to be optimistic, Debs. From a statistical point of view he's got really good chances.

If you want to ask anything regarding this please feel free to send me a PM.

Tom xx

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2301 on: August 25, 2018, 02:49:33 pm »
Red mist, debs and lobster boy, thoughts with you all and your family.

Mum goes in for her op on Wednesday. I'm absolutely bricking it if truth be told.

YNWA to all.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #2302 on: August 25, 2018, 07:40:32 pm »

Mum goes in for her op on Wednesday. I'm absolutely bricking it if truth be told.

YNWA to all.

Likewise from Kansas City. 

Take care Red Mist, Debs, Lobster and red_Mark -  sending you positive energy from across the pond
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2303 on: August 25, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »

He's 32.

I'm so sorry to hear that Debs thoughts are with you.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2304 on: August 25, 2018, 09:19:12 pm »
My dad has stage 4 lung cancer. He was diagnosed after appearing to be suffering what he thought was a mini stroke while taking my son to lapland Xmas 2015. Turned out to be a tumour. After scans he was found to have tumours in his lung and on his adrenal gland as well.
It was horrible, he was so scared and my mum and sisters devastated.
The brain tumour was located where the consultants believed they had a good chance of treating it with radiotherapy but the outcome was grim otherwise.
He had the radiotherapy and it was succesful. 1 down, 2 to go.
Surgery was not an option and so he started chemo, cisplatin i believe.  It was ok at first, he was receiving the maximum dose each time and the tumours got hammered by the treatments. The treatments continued for nearly a year . No hair loss but he got progressively sicker and weaker until even reduced doses were becoming life threatening.
We were told chemo would have to stop and that he had actually been on it for 6-8 months longer than they had anticipated considering his diagnosis. We also received the devastating news that his tumours had begun to grow again.
His consultant said there was something else they wished to try. His bloodwork showed he was a possible candidate for a 2 year treatment of immunotherapy. He said to go for it and he is now in the 2nd year of this. The tumours are now pin-prick sized, possibly just scar tissue. The treatment has had side effects requiring steroids and breaks occasionally but nowhere near as debilitating as chemo and most importantly appears to be working.
We are just pleased he is still here with us and can live a relatively normal life (as much as you can do with ongoing cancer treatment) The NHS, despite the best efforts of the Nasty Party, have been fantastic and I have nothing but the highest regards for them.
I cycled LEJOG solo to raise money for cancer research. I wanted to do something because I felt so helpless otherwise. At the time I'd planned it i thought it was going to be done in his memory, but despite suffering terribly from chemo, he was there to greet me at the end which was fantastic.
We still don't know how it's going to pan out but really I'm just so thankful he is still here for now.

My best wishes to any fellow rawkites going through anything similar and my condolences and deepest sympathy for any whose loved ones have lost the fight to this dreadful disease.
Never lose hope and YNWA.

Thoughts are with you, just take each day as it comes.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: August 25, 2018, 09:20:05 pm »

YNWA to all.

Fingers crossed for Wednesday hope it goes well for your mum.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2306 on: August 26, 2018, 09:49:00 pm »
All the best for your mum red-mark and thanks for all the messages of support everyone.

Still no news yet so can only hope that's a good sign.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2307 on: August 27, 2018, 11:44:44 am »
My 49 year old son was diagnosed with rectal cancer 4 months ago. He's a late starter dad married with two kids 7 and 3. He's had all his radiotherapy at Christies Manchester and is now on chemo. He has had his obligatory break and this weekend just gone had his scans which will be sent to Christies for the oncology team to look at and decide what's next. Possible surgery on the horizon if the tumour has been sufficiently zapped. Thankfully, there's been no migration yet. He's got a very positive attitude - takes after his lovely mother.

But by Christ almighty, I would gladly swap places with him in a heartbeat were it possible. I've lived my life (ashamed to say not always for the well-being of others either) and if anyone ought to be going, It ought to be me.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2308 on: August 27, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »
I’m really sorry to hear that about your son.

It’s so positive that there’s been no sign of migration and his very positive attitude will really help him through this tough time. Wishing him the best possible outcome and a super speedy recovery.

Sending you and all his family lots of strength. Please keep us posted.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2309 on: August 27, 2018, 09:37:10 pm »
My 49 year old son was diagnosed with rectal cancer 4 months ago. He's a late starter dad married with two kids 7 and 3. He's had all his radiotherapy at Christies Manchester and is now on chemo. He has had his obligatory break and this weekend just gone had his scans which will be sent to Christies for the oncology team to look at and decide what's next. Possible surgery on the horizon if the tumour has been sufficiently zapped. Thankfully, there's been no migration yet. He's got a very positive attitude - takes after his lovely mother.

But by Christ almighty, I would gladly swap places with him in a heartbeat were it possible. I've lived my life (ashamed to say not always for the well-being of others either) and if anyone ought to be going, It ought to be me.

It ought to be no one mate. Wish you all the best...! *fingers crossed*

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2310 on: August 27, 2018, 11:53:07 pm »
Sorry to hear that Johnno, thoughts with you and yours, hope it works out okay mate.

And thoughts with Debs, Mark and lobster too. Enjoyed (wrong word but you know what I mean) that story LB. I did lejog (Jogle to be more accurate) mainly solo as well. It’s a bugger isn’t it!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2311 on: August 28, 2018, 08:37:49 am »
I’m really sorry to hear that about your son.

It’s so positive that there’s been no sign of migration and his very positive attitude will really help him through this tough time. Wishing him the best possible outcome and a super speedy recovery.

Sending you and all his family lots of strength. Please keep us posted.

Thanks very much. Us and all the others impacted by this scourge really appreciate the kind words.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2312 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:13 am »
Sorry to hear that Johnno, thoughts with you and yours, hope it works out okay mate.

And thoughts with Debs, Mark and lobster too. Enjoyed (wrong word but you know what I mean) that story LB. I did lejog (Jogle to be more accurate) mainly solo as well. It’s a bugger isn’t it!

Appreciated RM thank you.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2313 on: September 11, 2018, 11:59:54 am »
My son's had it confirmed the tumour was cancerous so now waiting for CT results from Oncology at Christie's to know if it's spread and/or if further treatment is required.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2314 on: September 11, 2018, 01:14:26 pm »
My son's had it confirmed the tumour was cancerous so now waiting for CT results from Oncology at Christie's to know if it's spread and/or if further treatment is required.

Sending best wishes to your Son, and to all of you    :)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2315 on: September 11, 2018, 08:13:04 pm »
Sending best wishes to your Son, and to all of you    :)
:wave  Same here Debs.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2316 on: September 11, 2018, 09:03:55 pm »

Fingers crossed.

Mum has had her op and is recovering well. The last step is awaiting the pathology results that will hopefully show it's not spread into the lymph nodes.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2317 on: September 12, 2018, 09:24:31 pm »
Thanks everyone means a lot [emoji106]

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2318 on: September 18, 2018, 02:16:23 pm »
Good news today from Christie's.

They don't think it's spread but he's to have at least 1 cycle of chemo to make sure it hasn't and then just needs monitoring for 5yrs.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2319 on: September 18, 2018, 05:04:47 pm »
Best wishes to all. We are lucky in the NW to have world class centres like Christie’s, clatterbridge and alder hey.