Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 247324 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Cancer
« Reply #2240 on: November 19, 2017, 01:26:37 am »
Thanks mate, will try. The news made me sit back a  bit and realise that my parents won't be around forever. Always taken it for granted that she's always been there, but at 63 she's not exactly a young 'un anymore so I should take more time out to appreciate her whilst she is still here.

That is very sound advice. Also remember its the little things which mean the most to them. You don't have to buy them expensive things, just be there for her, don't be afraid of telling her how much you love her. She's been there for you so now its your turn. Also take each day as it comes, there will be good days and bad days. But you will get through it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline IrishSu

• percalifragilisticexpialidocious. I am WOman, Hear me RAWK!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Like an Irish Stew, just not as lumpy
« Reply #2241 on: December 23, 2017, 08:31:43 pm »
I hope everyone in this/affected by this thread is doing well at this time. Everything is really good with me. I know I'm one of the lucky ones, at the min anyway. I live each day as best I can and I'm enjoying it! Happy Christmas and best wishes to all. x :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:38:24 pm by IrishSu »
JFT96 YNWA

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2242 on: December 23, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »
My thoughts are with anyone affected by Cancer. My Dad had it 3 years ago, it probably wasn't until then I appreciated him and all he'd done for me.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2243 on: December 24, 2017, 12:36:11 pm »
Some beautiful words in this thread.
Best wishes to anyone affected by this bugger of a thing.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2244 on: January 2, 2018, 11:09:13 am »
Hi folks.

Obviously tons of people go off the booze in January to save money, detox, resolution or whatever, but this year my friend has made the decision to do Dry January and try to raise funds in aid of Cancer Research.

She has a relatively small target of £200 so if anyone would like to donate to this great cause the link is below.

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/rebecca-takes-on-dryathlon-44
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2245 on: February 23, 2018, 09:31:24 am »
Difficult to write this but my dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic a couple of weeks back. The doctor told him on Wednesday its a matter of months. Absolutely devastated. Told my eldest lad last night who took it quite well. He goes for biopsy next week to see if they can prolong the inevitable somewhat.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #2246 on: February 23, 2018, 09:41:31 am »
Thoughts with you and your family, mate.  I know it's easy to say but stay strong for your Dad.  I hope they do all they can for him.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #2247 on: February 23, 2018, 01:15:46 pm »
Zilt, I am so sorry to hear this mate.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2248 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:44 pm »
Difficult to write this but my dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic a couple of weeks back. The doctor told him on Wednesday its a matter of months. Absolutely devastated. Told my eldest lad last night who took it quite well. He goes for biopsy next week to see if they can prolong the inevitable somewhat.

So sorry to hear this mate. Please get all the options from the doctor first. Let them explain every available option! Do not listen to their first suggestion, ask a lot of questions. This is something we didn't do and we're still angry about it. You are in a position now where you know very little and you trust the doctor to put forward the best possible plan to fight this, but sometimes the chance is so small that you leap at the opportunity to try and fight it and the last months are horrible, but there's that hope and that's why you made the decision. Just please ask as many questions as you can and the best advice I can give you is do what is best for you and your family!

Having gone through this last year I am truly sorry mate.

Nothing anyone will say will prepare you for this, but just know that there will be times where you'll be pulling your hair out and be getting frustrated and angry. Just remember it's perfectly normal. There are a ton of resources to help you out, use them! Don't be afraid to lean on friends and family. Don't try struggle through this alone. Reach out to people, hell drop me a PM if you need to.

The speed is astonishing, it's something that you'll deal with though. I dunno if you guys have Hospice in the UK, but in the US they were outstanding, use them please!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:24:25 pm by Chakan »

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2249 on: February 25, 2018, 02:08:22 am »
Sending you all a ton of strength and love. xx

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2250 on: February 26, 2018, 10:46:15 am »
3 years to the day since it took dad. Now got mum and sister-in-law fighting it hard. Strength to, and thoughts with, all those affected by it too.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2251 on: February 27, 2018, 08:00:41 pm »

I'm sorry to hear this. Now any cancer is a bastard but pancreatic cancer is the biggest bastard of them all.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2252 on: February 27, 2018, 08:12:05 pm »
Sorry to hear that Zilts. I hope they’ve caught it early. Best wishes

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2253 on: February 27, 2018, 11:27:43 pm »
Sorry to hear that Zilts. I hope they’ve caught it early. Best wishes

Afraid not Nick, going to hospital Thursday. They've already said he has months, on Friday we might know a more accurate figure I suppose.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2254 on: February 28, 2018, 12:00:20 am »
Afraid not Nick, going to hospital Thursday. They've already said he has months, on Friday we might know a more accurate figure I suppose.
Thoughts are with you mate.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2255 on: February 28, 2018, 02:30:52 am »

Sorry to hear mate, was the same with my mom, apparently it had been growing for 2/3 years, the problem is once it starts being a problem it's almost always too late. But you never know mate, maybe they can operate.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2256 on: February 28, 2018, 06:33:31 am »
Sorry to hear this, my mum died of this in november it's a cruel quick one.

My stepdads cancer is back unfortunately and hes been in hospital for past 7 odd weeks with other shite, just makes you think whats the point in life.
choose Life.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2257 on: February 28, 2018, 02:22:27 pm »

Sorry mate, should have seen that in your original post. Lost an aunt to pancreatic cancer a few years ago so I know what a bastard it is. Good luck for Friday.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2258 on: March 3, 2018, 02:41:26 am »

My stepdads cancer is back unfortunately

Well after being told it's back then not then back to now being told the myeloma cancer isn't back but they do need to do some radiotherapy on his back but it should be easy.

ok then....

Any news Ziltoid?  Hoping for the best for you.
choose Life.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2259 on: March 4, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »
Will know after Thursday when the docs etc have had their meeting in Leeds. My dad will find out the course of treatment they will put him on for the time that's left. He's putting on a brave face but he's starting to look ill now. Was my mums 70th yesterday as well.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #2260 on: March 4, 2018, 05:19:43 pm »
 :'( :'(
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2261 on: March 5, 2018, 12:22:59 am »
My heart goes out to you mate, just cherish the remaining time all you can.
choose Life.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2262 on: March 5, 2018, 03:38:20 pm »
Just found out a former colleague of mine died last week. Went to the docs with stomach pains, diagnosed with late stage liver cancer last Sunday, died on Tuesday. Two fucking days, how do you even begin to get your head around that? He was 50, such a lovely, unassuming guy with a heart of gold. Fuck sake. I thought it was bad with my dad when we got three months, but two days?  :'(
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2263 on: March 14, 2018, 12:49:19 am »
I was absolutely destroyed watching the story of Eve of Bake Off tonight. Still in bits an hour after watching it. Went up and gave each of my sleeping daughters a teary hug. Just heartbreaking.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline IrishSu

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2264 on: March 14, 2018, 09:02:17 pm »
Hi all, hope everyone in here is doing well.

Just thought I'd let you know I have my '12 month out' mammogram next Tuesday. Que sera, sera. Regardless of what lies ahead I've had a fantastic 12 months, even considering the op and the rads. Meds are going great, no side effects that we can see anyway. Will post again next Tuesday after my appointment.

Best wishes to all in this thread and your loved ones.   
JFT96 YNWA

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2265 on: March 14, 2018, 09:54:34 pm »
All the best for tuesday.
choose Life.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2266 on: March 15, 2018, 12:25:26 am »
I lost someone close to both pancreatic and lung cancer on January 19th this year and it was horrendous.  She was only diagnosed towards the end on September last year. 

4 months in and out of Hospital, different treatments, chemotherapy and all the rest of it.  After the last dose of chemotherapy she was ringing a bell on the wall in the Hospital and everyone was cheering and clapping.  Apparently they have all patients do that when their course of chemotherapy is finished.

They could do no more, she was sent home.  Took ill again, really ill and was rushed back to Hospital.

We were told she had pneumonia.  She died shortly after.

It is brutal.

My heart, good wishes and love goes out to any person diagnosed with any type of cancer, and their family/loved ones.

Sorry for your loss, but I've only just seen your post.  It really hit home because it sounded like the story of someone I knew who passed away in January of this year, and on my birthday no less. She was a breast cancer survivor a few years back but it returned around a year ago and spread to the lungs. Different treatments, in and out of hospital, and there was nothing that could be done anymore and after 9 months give or take, that was that.

I've lost a few people to it now, it's awful. Like you said as well, my heart goes out to anyone suffering from it and their loved ones as well. It affects everybody.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:27:19 am by Caligula? »

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2267 on: March 18, 2018, 09:43:14 pm »
I just read about Terry Mac's wife and what they have been going through.

I was pretty shocked when I read it, I had no idea.

I hope she goes on to make a full recovery    :)

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-united-legend-terry-mcdermott-14427440

Offline IrishSu

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2268 on: March 20, 2018, 05:54:03 pm »
Hi all, hope everyone in here is doing well.

Just thought I'd let you know I have my '12 month out' mammogram next Tuesday. Que sera, sera. Regardless of what lies ahead I've had a fantastic 12 months, even considering the op and the rads. Meds are going great, no side effects that we can see anyway. Will post again next Tuesday after my appointment.

Best wishes to all in this thread and your loved ones.
Had my appointment today. However, no results as yet. I will get a call from my consultant in the coming days when they've inspected the images in greater detail. Will keep RAWK up to speed when I hear more.

Best wishes to all.
JFT96 YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2269 on: March 20, 2018, 07:07:01 pm »
Had my appointment today. However, no results as yet. I will get a call from my consultant in the coming days when they've inspected the images in greater detail. Will keep RAWK up to speed when I hear more.

Best wishes to all.
Good luck Su.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2270 on: March 20, 2018, 07:45:25 pm »
Good luck Su

My dad had his first chemo session today, was there for 7 hours. I'm waiting on a call from him but I reckon it's knocked the shit out of him. Will keep you informed.

Told my 2 youngest this weekend, heartbreaking.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2271 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:24 pm »
Good luck Su

My dad had his first chemo session today, was there for 7 hours. I'm waiting on a call from him but I reckon it's knocked the shit out of him. Will keep you informed.

Told my 2 youngest this weekend, heartbreaking.
Good luck to your dad as well mate.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2272 on: March 25, 2018, 02:44:43 pm »
Seen him today and he's in a bad way. Hope the chemo leaves his system this week so he can have a few decent days before the next lot. They've upped his Meds. Just think he might bin it after the next session of chemo. He couldn't even hold a conversation he felt so bad. Then again, not many people can with me.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2273 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:52 pm »
Stay strong Zilty.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2274 on: March 25, 2018, 11:50:33 pm »
Stay strong Zilty.
Echo this, stay strong mate.
choose Life.

Offline IrishSu

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2275 on: March 28, 2018, 01:03:05 pm »
Had my results appointment this morning. I am thrilled to write that I am officially 1 year out and all clear! Onwards and upwards.

I hope you're coping as best as you can Ziltoid. Thinking of you and your Dad. 

JFT96 YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2276 on: March 28, 2018, 01:07:29 pm »
Had my results appointment this morning. I am thrilled to write that I am officially 1 year out and all clear! Onwards and upwards.

I love reading things like this, its heartwarming, what wonderful news for you.  :)

Best wishes.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #2277 on: March 28, 2018, 02:00:39 pm »

:wellin

I love these types of messages in here!! :thumbup

I was given the all clear one year ago almost 1 year ago. It still feels good!! ;)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: March 28, 2018, 04:49:14 pm »

That's brilliant news for you. Enjoy Easter :)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2279 on: March 28, 2018, 04:53:30 pm »

Great news.

:scarf
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."