Author Topic: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone  (Read 480426 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Despite my username I'm not actually overweight, but still porked up a fair bit over Christmas so I'm going to take action.

I basically have to go cold turkey or I won't give up certain foods, so I've cut out all sweets, chocolate and the like since Jan 1st and will last till Easter.  Which means no chocolate bars, no biscuits, no sweets, no donuts, no crisps, no pain au chocolat (this one kills me), etc.  Usually works really well because I've found that if I cut out one of the bad things I just end up gorging on another.

Exceptions are nights out, where I can eat anything I want, and if it's someone's birthday, I can have cake.  It'd be rude not to.

Come Easter Sunday I'll plough through a massive chocolate egg and ruin everything, but I've done this before and that drastic reduction in sugar works a treat, so to speak.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I got some proper walking shoes for Christmas which will be used a lot - one of the best exercises you can do is walk (or even better, run, but I'm shit at that), plus I'm cutting back on alcohol to much lower levels so hopefully the last stubborn flab will disappear.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Show some self control then. A little bit of discipline wouldn't go amiss here, la.

Much easier said than done.  If it was that easy I never would've been in this thread in the first place.

Better day today anyway.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Much easier said than done.  If it was that easy I never would've been in this thread in the first place.

Better day today anyway.
I know what I wrote comes across as trite....but it can be that simple mate.

You also need to remember-you're laying the foundation for your future health and well being right now. Exercise and eat properly and when you reach my age you'll still be as active...if not more so than you were in your twenties. I ride my bike over 200 miles in a day regularly in the summer and up to November 14 I still lifted weights and was lifting more than I did in my twenties.

As long as you exercise regularly you should be able to indulge in whatever you feel like eating...this week I've had a bacon and fried butty each day since....Saturday. I can do as in that time I've done around.....20 hours of cardio..not gym cardio either...on my bike up and down hills. I eat cakes and biscuits all the time...but, I do exercise every day and if needs be, I can stop eating sweets and sugary treats if I feel the need to drop any excess weight I might think I need to lose.

It's all about wanting to do it and applying some self discipline...plus you'll find being a Narcissistic twat helps. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Apparently, a cold shower each day can help you burn more calories: something to do with activating 'brown' fat.  It was on some TV programme last night.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
I got some proper walking shoes for Christmas which will be used a lot - one of the best exercises you can do is walk (or even better, run, but I'm shit at that), plus I'm cutting back on alcohol to much lower levels so hopefully the last stubborn flab will disappear.

I'm pretty sure it's not, lifting weights is much more efficient.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Apparently, a cold shower each day can help you burn more calories: something to do with activating 'brown' fat.  It was on some TV programme last night.

I tend to find a large night on the cans followed by a 3AM kebab activates 'brown' fat.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I know what I wrote comes across as trite....but it can be that simple mate.

You also need to remember-you're laying the foundation for your future health and well being right now. Exercise and eat properly and when you reach my age you'll still be as active...if not more so than you were in your twenties. I ride my bike over 200 miles in a day regularly in the summer and up to November 14 I still lifted weights and was lifting more than I did in my twenties.

As long as you exercise regularly you should be able to indulge in whatever you feel like eating...this week I've had a bacon and fried butty each day since....Saturday. I can do as in that time I've done around.....20 hours of cardio..not gym cardio either...on my bike up and down hills. I eat cakes and biscuits all the time...but, I do exercise every day and if needs be, I can stop eating sweets and sugary treats if I feel the need to drop any excess weight I might think I need to lose.

It's all about wanting to do it and applying some self discipline...plus you'll find being a Narcissistic twat helps. ;D

Aye - I do rowing and squash at Uni so I can't bloody wait for that to kick back.  Been torture being off for a few weeks with no access to either.  I still do an hour on my bike five days a week and some running but not the same as 6 days a week.

I've only put on two pounds over Christmas thankfully, doing a bit better now.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
did a couple of runs over xmas

3.5 miles last night i found tough. ive often done double that but i figured it was better than nowt

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
did a couple of runs over xmas

3.5 miles last night i found tough. ive often done double that but i figured it was better than nowt

Apparently, the first 15 minutes of exercise are the most beneficial, so 3.5 mile runs are a decent aerobic session. Try to get out 3 times a week and you'll notice a big difference in a short amount of time.   I'm running 45-50 miles per week at the moment, but only because I want to enter some races in the Spring/Autumn (or because I'm obsessed, my girlfriend would say).

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Apparently, the first 15 minutes of exercise are the most beneficial, so 3.5 mile runs are a decent aerobic session. Try to get out 3 times a week and you'll notice a big difference in a short amount of time.   I'm running 45-50 miles per week at the moment, but only because I want to enter some races in the Spring/Autumn (or because I'm obsessed, my girlfriend would say).
yeah i just need to shake off the rust from christmas. few workouts ill be fine

positive ill take is to do 3.5 miles when unfit is no mean task and imagine what i can do when at peak

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
Slogging myself before I move to Dubai. Been hitting the gym almost everyday & running 10ks at least 4 times a week & doing laps in the pool most days.
Only problem I have at the moment is my diet. Got the wife knocked up so shes wanting Pizza, KFC etc. Its not atrocious but it's more often than I'd like.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Just run 3 miles, felt brutal.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I thought I'd welcome myself into this thread after my two week holiday in WDW Florida straight after christmas!

Time to get working!

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
Same here. Watching the intake to shift a few pounds all being well.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
only trained once last week as was dying with a cold

but fuck it im signing to do a marathon, im at my best diet wise when i have something to focus on

i lost 39 pounds prior to my wedding because during the week i was a man possessed last year

for a marathon i dont want to be blowing out my arse after 3 miles and unable to run it all. i want to do it, i want to enjoy it and i want to push myself to a limit.

february on i wont be drinking until its done in may. thats the plan anyway. save money, get fit and raise charity funds

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
So I've been slacking quite a lot. Diet's gone to shit (and I mean really, really bad) and I've stopped all cardio. I need to bring my weight down and lose fat, so I've decided to give it a go again with full dedication, watching my diet. I've never properly weight lifted, so have ordered 2 x 10 kg dumbbells to start me off, plus a 5ft barbell with and additional 2 x 10 kg plates. I know you can't spot train and target certain areas to build muscle, but the areas I'm really trying to tone and tighten up are my abdominals (both upper and definitely lower), flanks and chest. Does anyone have any recommendations for exercise with those weights to work out those areas predominantly?

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
So I've been slacking quite a lot. Diet's gone to shit (and I mean really, really bad) and I've stopped all cardio. I need to bring my weight down and lose fat, so I've decided to give it a go again with full dedication, watching my diet. I've never properly weight lifted, so have ordered 2 x 10 kg dumbbells to start me off, plus a 5ft barbell with and additional 2 x 10 kg plates. I know you can't spot train and target certain areas to build muscle, but the areas I'm really trying to tone and tighten up are my abdominals (both upper and definitely lower), flanks and chest. Does anyone have any recommendations for exercise with those weights to work out those areas predominantly?

Have an adjustable bench?

If so military press works wonders for your chest. Adjust between 45 & 30 degrees & flat. Also if you drop the bench into the negative it will help with the upper abs.

Lower abs really comes from diet & cardio. Its my biggest issue.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Been using my fitness pal to watch the intake. Working well so far.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
Dropped down to 87kg now. Lost 6kg in 2 months. Pretty happy with that.

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've never weighed myself in kgs. Always stones and pounds. Must be an age thing.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I've never weighed myself in kgs. Always stones and pounds. Must be an age thing.
kinda had to do both as machines i use in treadmill ask for weight in kilos

less than 100 days to marathon so from this weekend coming, the plan is no more boooze

printed off a plan last night and mapped a 5.5 mile run. did it around 45 mins or just over.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan

Being in Australia the imperial system is pretty much obsolete. Never heard of anyone here say how much they weigh in stone and pounds.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
I`ve dropped 8 Ibs since the new year watch the waste line programme so pretty happy with that. Just been watching what I eat, walking to Asda every day during my lunch hour which is a 2 mile round trip and doing the Insanity thing three or four times a week. Also been going on long walking trips with the kids of a weekend.

It all adds up to still being able to have a curry and a few bevvies on a Saturday night without it wrecking the recent efforts.

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just finishing the dryathlon this month. Not missed the ale really which surprised me cos i like a bevvy. I have a couple of cycling buddies and one of them is much fitter than me and a lot lighter but i have him in my sights now  ;D

Just over a stone lost so pleased. Used myfitnesspal which is really good for restricting intake when you feel snackish i find.

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Still losing the pounds at a moderate rate. Anyone else still dieting from Christmas?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Still losing the pounds at a moderate rate. Anyone else still dieting from Christmas?
I'm dieting from being a fat bastard ;D 8) :wave

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm dieting from being a fat bastard ;D 8) :wave
Aren't we all in here  ;D

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Weight still coming off. Not far off my fighting weight again not that i fight  ;D

I did the dry January thing and lost a fair bit. So many wasted calories in ale. Found it so easy i'm doing it again only i started this one on the 10th Feb.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Far from being fat but like many others I'd like to lose a few and get more fit. I go to the gym quite often, but with some holiday plans coming involving beaches and such I have now stepped up my work and once again (and most important trying to healthier).

So for me, which has worked well in the past is to:
- Walk to work when possible, which is quite far - 4.5miles back and home. I don't do this every day, but it sure helps.
- Gym as usual 2-3 times a week if possible.
- HIIT 2-3 times a week, doing this interval training now, either bike or treadmill and for me it's great. You don't have to be on the treadmill for as long, so less chance of getting bored and the hesitance is lower to get started. As well as it being more beneficial to burn fat in my mind.

So seeing good progress weekly, but yeah you have to give up on the weekday beers and also largely avoid the crisps and such, combined with a high protein diet which keeps you full longer.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Far from being fat but like many others I'd like to lose a few and get more fit. I go to the gym quite often, but with some holiday plans coming involving beaches and such I have now stepped up my work and once again (and most important trying to healthier).

So for me, which has worked well in the past is to:
- Walk to work when possible, which is quite far - 4.5miles back and home. I don't do this every day, but it sure helps.
- Gym as usual 2-3 times a week if possible.
- HIIT 2-3 times a week, doing this interval training now, either bike or treadmill and for me it's great. You don't have to be on the treadmill for as long, so less chance of getting bored and the hesitance is lower to get started. As well as it being more beneficial to burn fat in my mind.

So seeing good progress weekly, but yeah you have to give up on the weekday beers and also largely avoid the crisps and such, combined with a high protein diet which keeps you full longer.

I think you will be burning more carbs than fat in these sessions.  More easy/moderate but longer periods of exercise burn around 50:50 carbs:fat.  The higher the intensity, the more that ratio skews towards carbs, which will make you hungry to replace those carbs.  It's probably the walks that made a difference.   Just speaking from my own experience, as I've lost about 12kg (nearly two stone) since I started running at the end of June, without making any changes to diet (in fact, I eat more).   Most of that weight loss occurred when I did all my runs slow.  Since I've started training and doing hard sessions, I've just ended up eating more, which has kept my weight steady.  If I wanted to lose more weight, I'd add more slow miles rather than hard sessions. 

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think you will be burning more carbs than fat in these sessions.  More easy/moderate but longer periods of exercise burn around 50:50 carbs:fat.  The higher the intensity, the more that ratio skews towards carbs, which will make you hungry to replace those carbs.  It's probably the walks that made a difference.   Just speaking from my own experience, as I've lost about 12kg (nearly two stone) since I started running at the end of June, without making any changes to diet (in fact, I eat more).   Most of that weight loss occurred when I did all my runs slow.  Since I've started training and doing hard sessions, I've just ended up eating more, which has kept my weight steady.  If I wanted to lose more weight, I'd add more slow miles rather than hard sessions.

Science and studies dispute on this matter, actually the opposite of your claims from more studies that I've read, and also from a personal experience I've never felt more hungry when added HIIT to my training, on the contrary really. And studies do show that it brings up your metabolism rate for much longer "almost 10% more calories during the 24 hours" (http://www.simplyshredded.com/fit-with-hiit-science-is-dropping-the-hammer-on-endless-bouts-of-steady-state-cardio.html).
- Several linked studies in this post.

As well as being more effective in burning fat, rather than muscles (https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/high-intensity-interval-training.pdf
• insulin sensitivity (which helps the exercising muscles more readily use glucose for fuel to make energy)
• cholesterol profiles
• abdominal fat and body weight while maintaining muscle mass.)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-hiit.html
"Another study by M. Sanchez Pacheco found that rats which performed high-intensity exercises lost more fat than the rats which performed low-intensity exercise. The rats which exercised at 80-90% of their maximum heart rate lost a significant amount of body fat compared to the rats which exercised at 60-70% of their maximum heart rate.

Many research studies found that long endurance activities like marathon running can cause muscle catabolism, or the breakdown of muscle tissue. Muscle catabolism can sometimes last up to 7 days after the endurance activity takes place.

HIIT training on the other hand, can help increase speed, power, endurance and metabolic rate, helping you burn fat faster. Professional athletes incorporate HIIT into their workout routines because it has been proven to improve athletic performance."

I'm far from being having scientific study experience, at least not anything more than personal experience, which I clearly know from myself that it has helped me too: A) Burn more fat and B) Never increased my hunger/appetite, rather the contrary.

"HIIT vs Continuous Endurance Training: Battle of the Aerobic Titans"
"HIIT vs. Continuous Endurance Exercise: Cardiovascular Adaptations
Recent work shows that the cardiovascular adaptations to HIIT are similar to and in some cases superior to those of continuous endurance training (Helgerud et al., 2007; Wisløff, Ellingsen, & Kemi, 2009). Helgerud et al. showed that 4 repetitions of 4-minute runs at 90-95% of heart rate max (HRmax) followed by 3 minutes of active recovery at 70% HRmax performed 3 days per week for 8 weeks resulted in a 10% greater improvement in stroke volume when compared to a long, slow distance training group. Additional research by Slordahl et al. (2004) demonstrated that high intensity aerobic training at 90-95% of maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max) increased left ventricle heart mass by 12% and cardiac contractility by 13%, which is comparable to cardiovascular changes observed in continuous aerobic exercise."
https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/HIITvsCardio.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:37:43 pm by plura »

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan

Nice write up, everything I've ready says pretty much the same. I personally stick to weightlifting for weight loss as using the muscle helps to burn fat instead of muscle tissue on a calorie deficit, lifting for an hour can keep your body burning calories for a good 48 hours, and I just find it more enjoyable. Everything I've read suggests that both weightlifting and HIIT are pretty similar in terms of their effect on weight loss actually.

With all that said, the most important aspect of weight loss to focus on is always, always diet. I went to the gym four times last week and didn't slack off but I tried to relax my diet a little (slightly unhealthy wraps for lunch, carbs in all of my meals and lots of cups of tea) and lost less than a pound. This week I've done the same amount of exercise so far but slightly tightened up on my eating and drinking habits and lost three times as much already.

On my own progress, I seem to be in a pattern of two steps forward one step back, so I've been making slow progress since Christmas but could be doing better. Since breaking my arm last year I've lost the habit of exercising that I'd developed which hasn't helped, and I've been getting a lot of acupuncture work done on the same arm which leaves me unable to exercise properly for a few days at a time, though I should really learn to control my diet better when I'm not hitting the gym. I find that I eat really clean when I'm in an exercise routine but as soon as the routine breaks I just cave and eat whatever I want.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Science and studies dispute on this matter, actually the opposite of your claims from more studies that I've read, and also from a personal experience I've never felt more hungry when added HIIT to my training, on the contrary really. And studies do show that it brings up your metabolism rate for much longer "almost 10% more calories during the 24 hours" (http://www.simplyshredded.com/fit-with-hiit-science-is-dropping-the-hammer-on-endless-bouts-of-steady-state-cardio.html).
- Several linked studies in this post.

As well as being more effective in burning fat, rather than muscles (https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/high-intensity-interval-training.pdf
• insulin sensitivity (which helps the exercising muscles more readily use glucose for fuel to make energy)
• cholesterol profiles
• abdominal fat and body weight while maintaining muscle mass.)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-hiit.html
"Another study by M. Sanchez Pacheco found that rats which performed high-intensity exercises lost more fat than the rats which performed low-intensity exercise. The rats which exercised at 80-90% of their maximum heart rate lost a significant amount of body fat compared to the rats which exercised at 60-70% of their maximum heart rate.

Many research studies found that long endurance activities like marathon running can cause muscle catabolism, or the breakdown of muscle tissue. Muscle catabolism can sometimes last up to 7 days after the endurance activity takes place.

HIIT training on the other hand, can help increase speed, power, endurance and metabolic rate, helping you burn fat faster. Professional athletes incorporate HIIT into their workout routines because it has been proven to improve athletic performance."

I'm far from being having scientific study experience, at least not anything more than personal experience, which I clearly know from myself that it has helped me too: A) Burn more fat and B) Never increased my hunger/appetite, rather the contrary.

"HIIT vs Continuous Endurance Training: Battle of the Aerobic Titans"
"HIIT vs. Continuous Endurance Exercise: Cardiovascular Adaptations
Recent work shows that the cardiovascular adaptations to HIIT are similar to and in some cases superior to those of continuous endurance training (Helgerud et al., 2007; Wisløff, Ellingsen, & Kemi, 2009). Helgerud et al. showed that 4 repetitions of 4-minute runs at 90-95% of heart rate max (HRmax) followed by 3 minutes of active recovery at 70% HRmax performed 3 days per week for 8 weeks resulted in a 10% greater improvement in stroke volume when compared to a long, slow distance training group. Additional research by Slordahl et al. (2004) demonstrated that high intensity aerobic training at 90-95% of maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max) increased left ventricle heart mass by 12% and cardiac contractility by 13%, which is comparable to cardiovascular changes observed in continuous aerobic exercise."
https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/HIITvsCardio.html

As I said, speaking from my own experience.  Also, I was more speaking about 'ratio' of carbs to fat, you'd burn more fat from HIIT because you're burning more calories.  I've just noticed I'm hungrier after my high intensity sessions, can't speak for the rats only myself...  I also wasn't fit enough to do HIIT sessions at the time, so the low intensity runs worked for me. I now incorporate HIIT sessions too, so it's hard for me to tell which is benefiting me the most.   Agree re cardiovascular adaptions though, as both methods of training have their benefits, and my fitness came on bounds after introducing hard sessions.

I think a balance of diet and low/moderate/high intensity training is the way to go.  I've lost another kilo from switching some oats for my morning muesli. 

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the links by the way.

I've read about the muscle loss, we have to eat something with a good amount of protein (and carbs) within 30 mins of a long or hard run and the subsequent days.  I've actually gained muscle mass on my legs and core.  Skinny arms though...

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
As I said, speaking from my own experience.  Also, I was more speaking about 'ratio' of carbs to fat, you'd burn more fat from HIIT because you're burning more calories.  I've just noticed I'm hungrier after my high intensity sessions, can't speak for the rats only myself...  I also wasn't fit enough to do HIIT sessions at the time, so the low intensity runs worked for me. I now incorporate HIIT sessions too, so it's hard for me to tell which is benefiting me the most.   Agree re cardiovascular adaptions though, as both methods of training have their benefits, and my fitness came on bounds after introducing hard sessions.

I think a balance of diet and low/moderate/high intensity training is the way to go.  I've lost another kilo from switching some oats for my morning muesli. 

Disagree, low intensity is only really needed for weight loss if you're too unhealthy for high intensity training, and even then I'd recommend weight lifting over slow cardio.

Both HIIT and weightlifting:
- Burn more calories during the exercise.
- Deplete the glycogen stored in your muscles (which is then replenished over the next day or two, leading to more calories burned).
- Increase the speed of your metabolism for up to 24 hours.
- Recruit your muscles more which tells your body not to destroy muscle and use it for energy (something that has been proven to happen with low intensity cardio).

Muscle recruitment is especially important as muscle burns calories just by being there, so if you lose 20 lb's but half of it is muscle you'll burn way fewer calories every day and will find it much easier to quickly gain all of the weight back.

An increase in hunger shouldn't really matter if you're tracking how many calories you eat each day and sticking to a limit, although if it makes your day much harder it could be a sign that you're getting too many of your calories from poor sources (white bread/pasta, sugar and other processed foods).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:54:05 pm by Schmidt »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
first time in months and months i weighed myself

gone from 15 12 to 17 7

however my fitness has gone up some what. now doing 10 mile runs so just need to stop eating trash and cut down on booze

got to 15 12 last year as was a man possessed before my wedding, now training for a marathon. wont hurt to lose it to carry less lumber around

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
I finally managed to get back into a routine and lost about 9 lb's this past month, bringing my weight down to just below where it was when I broke my arm last year and my total loss to just shy of 40 lb's. Aiming to lose another 10 lb's or so before summer to get my weight back to around the lowest I've managed in my adult life, then gonna have to see where I'm at and whether I need to keep going.

I was worried hitting the gym 3 times, swimming twice and walking a good 10 miles every week would be too much but it hasn't actually been that bad so I might stick with it. Diet is the main thing of course but working out seems to cause a shift in my brain from wanting to eat garbage and lie down to wanting to count calories and eat healthy.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
well done