Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1736351 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #11600 on: April 12, 2020, 06:40:12 pm »
Amazing scarf. Just fantastic :)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #11601 on: April 12, 2020, 08:17:22 pm »
The original is going in the LFC Museum when she leaves this world . So it'll be there for all to see. Shes always offered it to me and then my daughter Fleur gets it but we both deffo agree it's better of in the museum.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11602 on: April 13, 2020, 09:05:44 am »
The original is going in the LFC Museum when she leaves this world . So it'll be there for all to see. Shes always offered it to me and then my daughter Fleur gets it but we both deffo agree it's better of in the museum.
That’s a great place for it to end up. Links your mum and LFC for all time and immortalises her through her brilliant scarf and hopefully her story too.  Should be more ‘ordinary’ (they’re far from ordinary but you know what i mean) supporter stuff in there. People who have devoted their lives to following the Reds; their stories should be told in the museum.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11603 on: April 13, 2020, 01:42:50 pm »
That’s a great place for it to end up. Links your mum and LFC for all time and immortalises her through her brilliant scarf and hopefully her story too.  Should be more ‘ordinary’ (they’re far from ordinary but you know what i mean) supporter stuff in there. People who have devoted their lives to following the Reds; their stories should be told in the museum.

I agree.

Check out Emma Case's project.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11604 on: April 13, 2020, 05:13:51 pm »
I agree.

Check out Emma Case's project.
Nice one, cheers! Just had a delve through the website. Great stuff.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #11605 on: April 13, 2020, 08:09:50 pm »
I was at Wembley in 2012 against Cardiff and the bloke next to me left before the penalty shoot out! Blamed it on nerves to be fair, don’t think he was trying to beat the traffic!

A lad near us was fast asleep for most of the 2nd half and ET, incredible really.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11606 on: April 13, 2020, 08:10:12 pm »
Nice one, cheers! Just had a delve through the website. Great stuff.

Think me Ma met her mid March at some event or something.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11607 on: April 13, 2020, 08:12:45 pm »
A lad near us was fast asleep for most of the 2nd half and ET, incredible really.

I actually feel asleep at the 1989 FA Cup Final. We travelled over night in a van with loads of ale and I think we all had a quart of rocky each. We gets to Wembley about 6am ballooned so just got more twatted. We went robbing milk off doorsteps if I remember.  I think Everton's late equaliser woke me up .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:15:27 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #11608 on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:26 pm »
Hats, cap, scarf from yer mam

;)

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11609 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:05 pm »

;)

;)

A few on here won't even know what that means .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #11610 on: April 14, 2020, 09:49:24 pm »
  ;)

A few on here won't even know what that means .

That’s one for us over 50’s for sure. 😉

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #11611 on: April 15, 2020, 12:59:23 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aYqVc8LhuJk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aYqVc8LhuJk</a>

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #11612 on: April 15, 2020, 07:02:51 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aYqVc8LhuJk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aYqVc8LhuJk</a>
OMG ! I was there that day, but seeing that has really choked me up again. Absolute legend and all-round thoroughly decent human being.

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11613 on: April 16, 2020, 04:43:20 am »

Man, I haven't cried this whole time, over a month in lockdown, all that shite. But that has finally set me off. Beautiful.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11614 on: April 16, 2020, 02:56:53 pm »

The great man was brought down by Purslow and Broughton, an appalling end for such a dignified human being. Rafa will always be welcome at Anfield unlike the two snakes, NESV deal or no NESV deal.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #11615 on: April 17, 2020, 01:33:55 pm »
ive watched this  a dozen times.. and every single time i well up... dont know why.. but it drags at the heart strings
JFT 96

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11616 on: April 20, 2020, 10:15:53 pm »
I've had a lot of time out, from here and the match. I've been doing some thinking.

When I started going in the early / mid 80s, there wasn't much singing at all. If we were playing United, Everton or a big cup match the atmosphere was intimidating, every 50 50 ball would be roared, every ref's decision would be contested and even when the linesmen used to check the nets 45 minutes before the match the Kop would remind them where they were. Apart from hoolie songs directed at the away supporters there was only really singing when celebrating. Despite the lack of singing, the atmosphere was boss but in a different kind of way.

I realise the 60s and early 70s were different. The way I see it is that it's a reflection of the mood of the city its self. In the 60s, the City was thriving and flamboyant. In the 80s it was dark and gritty. This was reflected in the atmosphere on the Kop.

The thing is though, when the atmosphere was shit, I didn't notice it. I was standing there in front of Dalglish, Souness, Rush, Hansen, et, al. I was too absorbed in the match to notice anything else. As a kid I'd join in with the lads, not to try to make the atmosphere better, but as a reaction to being absorbed in the match.

The conclusion I drew from this is that if you're not absorbed in the match, then it's not worth going. And if people are trying to get songs going, without being absorbed in the match then it's not natural, it's forced and trying too hard wont leave you happy.

I haven't felt absorbed in the match for a long time, and unless you feel absorbed, you're probably best packing it in yourself. If you've had a shit time cos we got beat - fair enough. If you've had a shit time because the person next to you didn't join in a song then just pack it in, because nothing's going to change.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11617 on: April 21, 2020, 08:13:31 pm »
That’s one for us over 50’s for sure. 😉

Iam only 48 though  ;)

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11618 on: April 21, 2020, 08:34:50 pm »
Been watching lots of old games of late. One thing I’ve remembered from it is how much a mediocre atmosphere could get whipped up a few notches by a 10 second passage of play when a few ‘heavy’ tackles went in. Sometimes I roared louder than a goal when someone put one in and you could literally feel the whole ground wake up. Don’t really get that now, the games changed and our whole play is about staying on your feet. Sort of went with Gerrard. The only time I can remember anything similar in the last 5 years was Andy Robertson tracking back that time.

Also feels like you don’t get the importance of ‘playing towards the Kop’ in the second half and the importance of winning the toss any more. Ahhh the old days.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11619 on: April 21, 2020, 09:57:58 pm »
Been watching lots of old games of late. One thing I’ve remembered from it is how much a mediocre atmosphere could get whipped up a few notches by a 10 second passage of play when a few ‘heavy’ tackles went in. Sometimes I roared louder than a goal when someone put one in and you could literally feel the whole ground wake up. Don’t really get that now, the games changed and our whole play is about staying on your feet. Sort of went with Gerrard. The only time I can remember anything similar in the last 5 years was Andy Robertson tracking back that time.

Also feels like you don’t get the importance of ‘playing towards the Kop’ in the second half and the importance of winning the toss any more. Ahhh the old days.

That's kind of where I was coming from on my post. In the mid 80s there wouldn't be much singing at all. Everybody would be talking amongst themselves. But if a hard tackle came in, or the refs decision went against us it could turn into a cauldron of noise at any time. Didn't matter if we were playing Luton, Notts County or a lower division team in one of the cups. At any time something could happen and the whole ground would be all over the opposition. And it was like that because winning was everything to everyone in the ground. There could be no singing at all, but still a boss atmosphere.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11620 on: April 21, 2020, 09:59:57 pm »

Watch the Liverpool / Arsenal 2nd Replay at Villa Park in 88 I think as what you are saying is right about the tackles and atmosphere. What a night that was. It's on youtube .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11621 on: April 21, 2020, 10:02:25 pm »
^

Cant think of his name for some reason but the young Scouse full back who now plays for Rangers threw in a mad tackle against Spurs at Anfield in the Spring of 2014. The place went crackers.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #11622 on: April 21, 2020, 10:06:47 pm »
^

Cant think of his name for some reason but the young Scouse full back who now plays for Rangers threw in a mad tackle against Spurs at Anfield in the Spring of 2014. The place went crackers.

Jon Flanagan
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11623 on: April 21, 2020, 10:13:55 pm »
Watch the Liverpool / Arsenal 2nd Replay at Villa Park in 88 I think as what you are saying is right about the tackles and atmosphere. What a night that was. It's on youtube .

Was at that. Without watching it right now, I think there were pitch invasions after every goal (there goals and ours). The atmosphere was good at the first match at Anfield as well. The whole Kop was bouncing after we scored.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11624 on: April 21, 2020, 10:57:50 pm »
Jon Flanagan

Yep. Him.

Sometimes searching for things on your phone seems like a mission .
Was at that. Without watching it right now, I think there were pitch invasions after every goal (there goals and ours). The atmosphere was good at the first match at Anfield as well. The whole Kop was bouncing after we scored.

Yep and Yep.

Was in the Whitton Lane .

Iam sure that I may of mentioned it before on here that night was my best night following the Reds as a young lad.

Seargeant .

Incoming Scousers .. thaarsands of ' em.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11625 on: April 22, 2020, 04:12:52 pm »

You on to that Dave Waller's channel? Brilliant he posts new full games up all the time.

Offline andywilko

• Anny Roader
  • Thank You
« Reply #11626 on: April 22, 2020, 08:22:27 pm »

One of my favourite games ever that. Was in the Holte, which was divided in half I think. 
And with such simplicity,
The European Cup, surely, is won.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #11627 on: April 22, 2020, 08:42:04 pm »

The first match of that cup tie, was the very first midweek match i attended, i remember being awe inspired when all the floodlights were switched on, we went 1-0 up then Rocastle equalized a few minutes late. Annoyingly the next round we got battered 4-1 at West Ham, topping it off was an own goal by Steve Staunton that Aldo himself would have been proud of.
#Sausages

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11628 on: April 22, 2020, 08:48:33 pm »
You on to that Dave Waller's channel? Brilliant he posts new full games up all the time.

No but will search for it. Cheers.

One of my favourite games ever that. Was in the Holte, which was divided in half I think. 

It was . Think I went with Barnes travel with me mates from Walton.
The first match of that cup tie, was the very first midweek match i attended, i remember being awe inspired when all the floodlights were switched on, we went 1-0 up then Rocastle equalized a few minutes late. Annoyingly the next round we got battered 4-1 at West Ham, topping it off was an own goal by Steve Staunton that Aldo himself would have been proud of.

I actually don't remember that. Was nodding off last night thinking what happened in that competition that season and couldn't.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11629 on: April 22, 2020, 08:52:29 pm »
I've had a lot of time out, from here and the match. I've been doing some thinking.

When I started going in the early / mid 80s, there wasn't much singing at all. If we were playing United, Everton or a big cup match the atmosphere was intimidating, every 50 50 ball would be roared, every ref's decision would be contested and even when the linesmen used to check the nets 45 minutes before the match the Kop would remind them where they were. Apart from hoolie songs directed at the away supporters there was only really singing when celebrating. Despite the lack of singing, the atmosphere was boss but in a different kind of way.

I realise the 60s and early 70s were different. The way I see it is that it's a reflection of the mood of the city its self. In the 60s, the City was thriving and flamboyant. In the 80s it was dark and gritty. This was reflected in the atmosphere on the Kop.

The thing is though, when the atmosphere was shit, I didn't notice it. I was standing there in front of Dalglish, Souness, Rush, Hansen, et, al. I was too absorbed in the match to notice anything else. As a kid I'd join in with the lads, not to try to make the atmosphere better, but as a reaction to being absorbed in the match.

The conclusion I drew from this is that if you're not absorbed in the match, then it's not worth going. And if people are trying to get songs going, without being absorbed in the match then it's not natural, it's forced and trying too hard wont leave you happy.

I haven't felt absorbed in the match for a long time, and unless you feel absorbed, you're probably best packing it in yourself. If you've had a shit time cos we got beat - fair enough. If you've had a shit time because the person next to you didn't join in a song then just pack it in, because nothing's going to change.
The second excellent post I’ve read in as many minutes.

I started a bit earlier than you, late 70s, but remember the 80s very well (teenage Kopite, what could be better?) and whilst I’d say the singing was a bit more than you’ve said there, I agree it reflected what was going on on the pitch. Always has, hopefully always will.

Absorption in the game. That’s what it’s all about (unless you’re drunk and just chatting with your mates, but that’s for wools!) but yeah, Anfield WATCHES the match, like a fucking collective hawk. Name another ground where you’d hear (and still do) ‘man on’ and ‘turn’ as regularly. Across the park, it’s all “No” and “Booo”. The Anfield crowd is different. It knows and expects Liverpool to be building an attack, or if not building an attack at least planning how to build an attack, “TURN!”. Or nowadays, just attacking, like men possessed.

I sometimes wonder what the atmosphere would’ve been like in the 80s watching Klopp’s tricky Reds, then I remember we had it with that 87-88 team. That was a louder season than most. When the football excites the atmosphere follows. Klopp knew it when he arrived and there’s been some crackers during his time.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:54:36 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11630 on: April 23, 2020, 08:56:54 am »
No but will search for it. Cheers.

It was . Think I went with Barnes travel with me mates from Walton.
I actually don't remember that. Was nodding off last night thinking what happened in that competition that season and couldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/user/davewallerfsmail

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #11631 on: April 23, 2020, 09:55:18 am »

Forest won the league cup in 88/89, beat Luton in the final, Luton beat Arsenal the previous year in 88
#Sausages

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11632 on: April 25, 2020, 10:28:21 am »
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11633 on: June 25, 2020, 12:38:17 pm »

Considering we're on the brink of winning the league , the atmosphere last night was shite .

We've started singing ' come on you reds ' again for the first time in like 20 years . Worst of all though was the ' Red Army' chant , a fuckin United song . It even sounded like Mancs when it was being sung !

Utterly disgusted !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #11634 on: June 25, 2020, 12:40:01 pm »
This fella shouted wooohoooo after every goal whilst watching the game through his iPad. How did he get a ticket?
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11635 on: July 15, 2020, 05:17:31 pm »

Her scarf is going to be the scarf in Dave Kirkby's new short film. She passed it to him earlier today. Don't lose it Dave lad.

Iam so proud and Iam so happy for her  :scarf

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11636 on: July 22, 2020, 07:36:13 pm »
What a night to get this clip of Dave Kirby's new film .

https://www.number19film.com/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=all%20platforms&utm_campaign=core%20team

I cried .. yes I actually cried watching it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:38:50 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11637 on: July 22, 2020, 07:58:41 pm »

https://www.number19film.com/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=all%20platforms&utm_campaign=core%20team

Is that your mum's scarf? I'm not surprised you cried if so! Lovely clip.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #11638 on: July 22, 2020, 08:01:51 pm »

Scully - great scarf.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11639 on: July 22, 2020, 08:28:01 pm »
Cheers lads .

The mad thing about the whole story is Dave asked on social media that he wants an old authentic scarf for his new film and everyone through me Mah's name into the hat . The mad thing is is that Dave knew our kid ( R.I.P ) well and me a little bit. Dave and me Mah met last week outside Anfield and me Mah goes ' I believe you know me two lads dont ya ' Dave goes who are they ? He couldn't believe it himself .

That's boss !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi