Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281299 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #3400 on: March 29, 2023, 07:29:31 pm »
I bet you didn't see many birds of prey on those grouse moors though Yorkie. Another Red Kite got shot by a Scottish estate yesterday, another protected species blown out of the skies for no reason. I have taken over ToonMick's old thread, if anyone is interested in the battle with the shooting estates for the futures of many birds of prey in those areas.

I love Lapwings, it is great you saw those they are beautiful birds.

If anyone wants to follow the latest stuff on campaign to get greater protection for our birds of prey, I will be putting them on here. Thanks everyone.  :)

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?

Now you think of it you're probably right. Kestrels yes, but nothing bigger I don't think.

Kites are plentiful where I live in Oxford though. They're often on our street which is less than a 1000 yards from the city centre. And of course they practically own the M40 corridor.  I think back to an early picture book I was given as a boy. It had an illustration of "the last pair of mating kites in Britain" somewhere on Mount Snowdon. Fucking great comeback lads and lasses.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3401 on: March 29, 2023, 08:55:05 pm »
Now you think of it you're probably right. Kestrels yes, but nothing bigger I don't think.

Kites are plentiful where I live in Oxford though. They're often on our street which is less than a 1000 yards from the city centre. And of course they practically own the M40 corridor.  I think back to an early picture book I was given as a boy. It had an illustration of "the last pair of mating kites in Britain" somewhere on Mount Snowdon. Fucking great comeback lads and lasses.

You are lucky to see even a Kestrel nowadays, but it's great that you did. Yes, Red Kites are a bit of a success story all over the place at the moment, it's great to see birds can come back from the brink when they are left alone to increase naturally.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3402 on: March 29, 2023, 10:12:25 pm »
No photos as a) didn’t have a camera and b) one was id’d by sound, but today, 2 rare birds while on my walk.

First of all, I heard a barred owl, two in fact, one was close, the other answering his call, further out. Such a distinctive hoot! Now I know he/they are there, I’ll be keeping an eye out!

Then a belted kingfisher, I saw and heard him, he was zipping around a small pond just on the trail I walk on near me. Never seen one before.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3403 on: March 29, 2023, 10:59:09 pm »
No photos as a) didn’t have a camera and b) one was id’d by sound, but today, 2 rare birds while on my walk.

First of all, I heard a barred owl, two in fact, one was close, the other answering his call, further out. Such a distinctive hoot! Now I know he/they are there, I’ll be keeping an eye out!

Then a belted kingfisher, I saw and heard him, he was zipping around a small pond just on the trail I walk on near me. Never seen one before.

Wow, an owl and a Kingfisher I'd be happy with that after a walk.  :D

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3404 on: March 30, 2023, 08:00:59 am »

there was a belted kingfisher here last year - well, in preston in the uk - it was a 'mega' but even though it would've been only a 50 mile round trip for me, i never got the chance to go and see it

bloody life getting in the way again  :no
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3405 on: March 30, 2023, 02:08:35 pm »
a few from a trip to crosby the other day

this lone black-tailed godwit was quite happy for me to take his photo

a male reed bunting enjoying the sun

a linnet getting sand between his toes

and finally, these crows have nearly got the hang of this sign

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:32:53 pm by liverbloke »
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3406 on: March 30, 2023, 02:14:32 pm »
Very nice, love seeing new birds.

The crow pic is great, we get a few around here but they usually on the move cawing at various other birds.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3407 on: March 30, 2023, 02:33:39 pm »
cheers mate - made a mistake though, it was a reed bunting not a stonechat

i was too quick for my own good  ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3408 on: March 30, 2023, 02:40:05 pm »
Some smashing photos there, those reed buntings are so cute.  :D

It's been great that there were reports of the Ospreys returning in the last couple of days as well.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #3409 on: March 30, 2023, 05:41:15 pm »
a few from a trip to crosby the other day

this lone black-tailed godwit was quite happy for me to take his photo

a male reed bunting enjoying the sun

a linnet getting sand between his toes

and finally, these crows have nearly got the hang of this sign

Ace photos. :)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3410 on: March 30, 2023, 10:29:49 pm »
You are lucky to see even a Kestrel nowadays, but it's great that you did. Yes, Red Kites are a bit of a success story all over the place at the moment, it's great to see birds can come back from the brink when they are left alone to increase naturally.

A few white-tailed eagles have been reintroduced down here, a couple have been found dead recently.  Suspected shooting estates and Tory land owners.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3411 on: March 31, 2023, 09:29:42 am »
A few white-tailed eagles have been reintroduced down here, a couple have been found dead recently.  Suspected shooting estates and Tory land owners.

Yes, I was reading about that the other day.  It’s the same problem with the hen harriers as birds they are moorland birds, therefore they will be attracted to the land by these estates. If they regulated the estates they could at least withhold their licenses and actually punish them, but some will be donors to the Tory party. So that won’t happen.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3412 on: March 31, 2023, 07:51:17 pm »
This caused a lot of excitement last year when the goshawk at RSPB Loch Garten had four youngsters. Let's see if it happens again.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKEDQedN7N8

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3413 on: April 1, 2023, 08:08:19 pm »
They have added a Osprey cam as well at RSPB Loch Garten. My friend and I went to Burton Wetlands last week and saw a osprey heading north. I'm not sure if its the Lake District bird or the Scotland one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYeEaXvLu38

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3414 on: April 1, 2023, 09:41:56 pm »
They have added a Osprey cam as well at RSPB Loch Garten. My friend and I went to Burton Wetlands last week and saw a osprey heading north. I'm not sure if its the Lake District bird or the Scotland one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYeEaXvLu38

I've been to see the Lock Garten Ospreys many years ago.  Beautiful birds in a beautiful part of the country 😊

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3415 on: April 1, 2023, 10:09:42 pm »
I've been to see the Lock Garten Ospreys many years ago.  Beautiful birds in a beautiful part of the country 😊

I saw the one in the Lake District, in fact we hired a cottage on holiday right by the Lake and got some brilliant sightings of it returning to its nest. It was an amazing holiday that, came across some badgers as well. Wonderful.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: April 1, 2023, 11:46:46 pm »
I saw the one in the Lake District, in fact we hired a cottage on holiday right by the Lake and got some brilliant sightings of it returning to its nest. It was an amazing holiday that, came across some badgers as well. Wonderful.

We didn't get to see the birds unfortunately but I think we were too early in the season so no chicks or eggs. 

Many years ago I volunteered for a weeks work with the rspb to help with watching over the peregrine nest at Lincoln cathedral. 

They had cameras set up with 24hr vigils going on to make sure the adults and chicks were ok and to answer visitors questions but I didn't get selected.

I was gutted 😟

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3417 on: April 2, 2023, 01:33:42 pm »
Goshawk in nest now.  :)

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3418 on: April 2, 2023, 01:34:43 pm »
We didn't get to see the birds unfortunately but I think we were too early in the season so no chicks or eggs. 

Many years ago I volunteered for a weeks work with the rspb to help with watching over the peregrine nest at Lincoln cathedral. 

They had cameras set up with 24hr vigils going on to make sure the adults and chicks were ok and to answer visitors questions but I didn't get selected.

I was gutted 😟

What a shame you never got a chance to do it. But at least it shows that there are so many people wanting to do it. Maybe you will get another chance where you are.  :)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3419 on: April 2, 2023, 07:17:18 pm »
Yes, I was reading about that the other day.  It’s the same problem with the hen harriers as birds they are moorland birds, therefore they will be attracted to the land by these estates. If they regulated the estates they could at least withhold their licenses and actually punish them, but some will be donors to the Tory party. So that won’t happen.

They were introduced to the IOW, but have been seen flying regularly over Dorset.  Two were found dead, likely poisoned.  It's a huge Tory area down here, large rural areas with the standard shooting estates on.  Mostly pheasents, which are not exactly hard to hit (not much skill involved in regards to sport).

Wildlife is really struggling and it really annoys me when I see raptors killed, especially when we are trying to reintroduce them and it's just 'protect' gamebirds (a non-native, introduced species).

Obviously, nothing will happen while the current government are in charge, but I would go after the shoots/land owners.  You could quite easily tackle it, if the will was there.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3420 on: April 2, 2023, 09:34:08 pm »
I love these tufted tit mouse birds. Definitely one of my favorites

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3421 on: April 2, 2023, 10:08:55 pm »
They were introduced to the IOW, but have been seen flying regularly over Dorset.  Two were found dead, likely poisoned.  It's a huge Tory area down here, large rural areas with the standard shooting estates on.  Mostly pheasents, which are not exactly hard to hit (not much skill involved in regards to sport).

Wildlife is really struggling and it really annoys me when I see raptors killed, especially when we are trying to reintroduce them and it's just 'protect' gamebirds (a non-native, introduced species).

Obviously, nothing will happen while the current government are in charge, but I would go after the shoots/land owners.  You could quite easily tackle it, if the will was there.

Yes, that's the problem in a nutshell, the land they are drawn to is owned by rich landowners who basically make their money out of ripping wildlife apart. As you say the idea of bringing in foreign birds to shoot but at the same time destroying native wild life is something which should have gone out with the ark. Even when they successfully prosecute the punishments are so bad it's barely worth the paper it is written on. A Scottish gamekeeper the other day was fined £1700 for poisoning a sparrowhawk and various other birds/creatures. You can bet your life the fine was paid for by the same estate owner who is demanding he kills everything that isn't a grouse.  You only have to look at the reintroduction of the Red Kite to see success stories can happen if only people will work together. It's only when shooting is ended that there is any chance for birds of prey to thrive.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3422 on: April 5, 2023, 10:01:45 am »
I love these tufted tit mouse birds. Definitely one of my favorites

lovely that mate

popped out yesterday and though there wasn't many interesting birds around - i took a few anyway

spotted along the canal a cormorant up a tree - amazed that branch can take its weight

a greenfinch was singing away in the distance (hence, the photo is not the clearest) but stopped to take a look at me

a common (ubiquitous) canada goose not too happy with me taking its photo

an avocet flew past - managed to take a quick shot

a tufted duck - you can see that its nictitating membrane hasn't fully opened here (that line you see on the eye)

later on he spotted me

he then went for a dive  ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3423 on: April 5, 2023, 11:48:40 am »
Very nice Liverbloke! I love the Finch!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3424 on: April 7, 2023, 03:37:23 am »
A few of my photos of a red tailed hawk. Not new photos, they are from 2/3 years ago, but I was clearing out a couple memory cards as I just got my new camera today so I wanted clean cards for that :) 

There’s loads from this set, but I’ll just post a few, it was of a hawk having some lunch (a mouse I think), I’m not posting the close up photos of that!

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3425 on: April 7, 2023, 07:54:24 am »
nice them mate - cracking bird

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3426 on: April 10, 2023, 02:25:17 am »
Had a really great walk this Sunday. Weather really couldn't have been better, 17/18 outside with a little bit of breeze. It rained a ton on Friday and Saturday so everything was wet and smelt of nature. People out and about on easter Sunday. Spoke to so many people it was a bit weird, everyone just seemed to be in a really happy mood.

I spoke to an old gentlemen about birds and what I had seen and what could possibly see. Funny enough I met him when I was on my way home and he showed me the blue heron he had seen, without seeing him on the way out I would have never gotten the shots of the heron, so they are all thanks to him.

Anyway sorry for the long post I literally took over 1100 photos today. These are just some I liked.

Mallard

Red-Shouldered Hawk Preening and flying off

Great Blue Heron, eating a combination of crawdads and a big tadpole

Carolina Wren loving that branch ;)

Eastern Phoebe

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: April 10, 2023, 12:03:06 pm »
some cracking shots there mate - well done

and well done keeping with the heron too - you've taken some excellent shots of it with its prey

and that cute wren - lovely

..and technically, you've got some spot on too!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3428 on: April 10, 2023, 12:09:09 pm »
some cracking shots there mate - well done

and well done keeping with the heron too - you've taken some excellent shots of it with its prey

and that cute wren - lovely

..and technically, you've got some spot on too!

Thanks mate, I was following the Heron around the pond, I was hoping to get it as the sun was going down into the golden hour, but just before that could happen it trotted up the bank and flew off. Inconsiderate ;)

The Wren I absolutely loved, it was on the way out and just landed on the branch right infront of me and had a scratch around. Very cute.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3429 on: April 10, 2023, 07:27:34 pm »
So seems a carolina chickadee has gone in under one of my roof slats, which has come loose, and built himself a little nest and found a mate and now have little chicks chirping there. I wouldn't have noticed them but for the multitude of cheeps that came out of the hole. Completely out of sight though, which is good. I'll have to wait for the chicks to leave the nest before replacing the tile.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3430 on: April 11, 2023, 07:18:43 pm »
That Carolina Wren was so cute especially the one on the branch.  ;D

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #3431 on: April 17, 2023, 04:50:24 pm »
I have a pair of dunnocks in my garden most times of the year. Nice little birds always foraging on the ground as well as using the feeders. We have a really dense Holly bush/hedge which they go into so I thought I'd see if there was a nest there.
Virtually impossible to open the bush up without ripping your hands open so I managed to pry a bit open with a stick and saw a nest and then a tiny little mouth begging for food. Walked away as I didn't want to disturb them and I won't look in again but that's made my day that has.
We have blue tits nesting every year in a box but I feel like I'm expanding now. Makes putting feeders out alm year round worth it.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3432 on: April 17, 2023, 05:56:28 pm »
We had a mistle thrush in the garden yesterday, not had one before and I hadn't realised how big they were in comparison to a song thrush.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3433 on: April 18, 2023, 10:29:53 am »
We had a mistle thrush in the garden yesterday, not had one before and I hadn't realised how big they were in comparison to a song thrush.

I think we did this morning as well - I remember thinking "That's a big thrush..." and you mentioning a mistle thrush being much bigger...
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3434 on: April 18, 2023, 10:37:41 am »
I think we did this morning as well - I remember thinking "That's a big thrush..." and you mentioning a mistle thrush being much bigger...

When I first glimpsed it I thought it was a collared dove until I looked properly.  It was a bit smaller than a dove but that gives you an idea of their size.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3435 on: April 18, 2023, 10:42:53 am »
Not a great picture but came across this little fella in Colonsay last week, pretty sure he is a guillemot. Sadly there was something seriously wrong with him though no visible injuries as it wasn't even trying to fly away from us or the dogs (on leads) and it died shortly after. Not sure if maybe avian flu.

We saw a couple of sea eagles, herons and loads of kites on the island as well, though sadly no pictures.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3436 on: April 18, 2023, 10:56:43 am »
Not a great picture but came across this little fella in Colonsay last week, pretty sure he is a guillemot. Sadly there was something seriously wrong with him though no visible injuries as it wasn't even trying to fly away from us or the dogs (on leads) and it died shortly after. Not sure if maybe avian flu.

We saw a couple of sea eagles, herons and loads of kites on the island as well, though sadly no pictures.

Can you report it's location please mate, DEFRA usually want data for avian flu especially for seabirds as it's so hard to get with so many dying at sea.

Send a picture too 👍

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3437 on: April 18, 2023, 10:58:27 am »

yep - you're right

aw, sad that it died but at least you kept the dogs on leads - nice one

you saw sea eagles - white-tailed eagles here in the uk (for those not into birds) - wow excellent luck you (jealous)

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3438 on: April 18, 2023, 10:59:52 am »
Can you report it's location please mate, DEFRA usually want data for avian flu especially for seabirds as it's so hard to get with so many dying at sea.

Send a picture too 👍

good point debs

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3439 on: April 18, 2023, 11:07:54 am »
good point debs

It's really quite shocking how many are dying mate.  They reckon between 3 and 10 thousand have been lost from the Anglesey colonies in the last couple of years 😟