Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281569 times)

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #3280 on: February 15, 2023, 05:03:14 pm »
fisting ha ha - but that sounds great mate as long as i don't have to fist anything  :wave

but i am gonna have to do that and visit a falconry one day soon

If you’re ever down that way it’s based at Herstmonceux Castle. The fella who runs it is excellent. I would highly recommend it. Just had a look at the website now and there’s photos of the owl on peoples heads 😁

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3281 on: February 15, 2023, 06:32:10 pm »
fisting ha ha - but that sounds great mate as long as i don't have to fist anything  :wave

but i am gonna have to do that and visit a falconry one day soon

Gauntlet birds of prey in Mere near Knutsford is where I did my day

Finally got to do my Bird of Prey experience today, what a brilliant day it was.

Lanner Falcon

Chaco Owl, This one loved getting its head rubbed

American Black Vulture

Harris Hawk

Caracara

Eagle

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3282 on: February 15, 2023, 07:44:58 pm »
Fantastic photos Rob, hope you got as much enjoyment out of it that I did.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3283 on: February 16, 2023, 07:47:57 am »
If you’re ever down that way it’s based at Herstmonceux Castle. The fella who runs it is excellent. I would highly recommend it. Just had a look at the website now and there’s photos of the owl on peoples heads 😁

cheers for the info  :wave

Gauntlet birds of prey in Mere near Knutsford is where I did my day

great photos mate - will look into that too  8)
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3284 on: February 16, 2023, 11:29:08 am »
Looks like a great day!

Online andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #3285 on: February 16, 2023, 12:18:24 pm »
Been a few reports that people have seen a few waxwings lately in Halifax, not seen one for years.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3286 on: February 17, 2023, 08:00:53 am »
great looking birds waxwings - but they tend to hang around aldi and asda car parks!

something to do with the berries on the trees that the supermarkets prefer to plant because they are more hardy (i think)

anyhoo - went for a little walk down the front at waterloo yesterday and there was a male goldeneye on the lake - nice to see but only had my compact with me so the photos aren't great

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3287 on: February 17, 2023, 09:06:30 am »
Been a few reports that people have seen a few waxwings lately in Halifax, not seen one for years.

Many many years ago we'd gone for a run out to Tetney Marshes and as we were turning round in a gateway there was one sat in the hedge in front of us.  I'd never seen one before but I had a bird book with a picture of one on the cover.

A couple of weeks later at home we had a small flock of them, around 40 birds, feeding in the cherry tree at the front of the house then flying into the back garden doing the same in the rowan.  They hung around for most of the day.

I've only seen them once since where I used to walk the dogs every day.

They're probably my favourite winter visiter although the flock of Wheatear we had in the garden on their spring migration last year was impressive too.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3288 on: February 17, 2023, 09:07:13 am »
great looking birds waxwings - but they tend to hang around aldi and asda car parks!

something to do with the berries on the trees that the supermarkets prefer to plant because they are more hardy (i think)

anyhoo - went for a little walk down the front at waterloo yesterday and there was a male goldeneye on the lake - nice to see but only had my compact with me so the photos aren't great

Beautiful ☺️

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3289 on: February 19, 2023, 01:19:11 am »
Had a clear day for walk today, but a bit frustrating as I was playing around with the camera and didn't get some shots I wanted. Here's a few that came out alright though.

White-throated Sparrow looking for something to eat

Song Sparrow giving me the eye

Eastern Phoebe

Downy Woodpecker

Carolina Wren

Red-Tailed Hawk - These were quite far away and just couldn't get a good shot of the one on top.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3290 on: February 19, 2023, 07:50:38 am »
Had a clear day for walk today, but a bit frustrating as I was playing around with the camera and didn't get some shots I wanted. Here's a few that came out alright though.

lovely mate

here's a tip for you regarding birds that are high up and you can only see their bellies -

get your camera all ready and held in position and then simply quietly go 'shh shh tchik tchik' (meant to be onomatopoeic) they will curiously look at you out of interest and 'bang!' you got your shot of their face rather than them looking away

seems to work with all birds - just remember: don't do it too loudly or aggressively as they'll fly off and not trust you again  :wave

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3291 on: February 19, 2023, 11:58:37 am »

lovely mate

here's a tip for you regarding birds that are high up and you can only see their bellies -

get your camera all ready and held in position and then simply quietly go 'shh shh tchik tchik' (meant to be onomatopoeic) they will curiously look at you out of interest and 'bang!' you got your shot of their face rather than them looking away

seems to work with all birds - just remember: don't do it too loudly or aggressively as they'll fly off and not trust you again  :wave

I’ll give it a go mate, these birds were a good 100 meters away though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3292 on: February 19, 2023, 11:59:52 am »
Seen a shit load of birds in our garden this year. The usual Magpies, Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons that all live around here, but now also swallows, Tits, robins and a few other things I'm not sure about.

Great to see them all back :)

Dunno where they were last year
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3293 on: February 19, 2023, 02:32:03 pm »
I’ll give it a go mate, these birds were a good 100 meters away though.

the high-pitched sound will travel no worries - i us a 500 and they hear me  ;D

Seen a shit load of birds in our garden this year. The usual Magpies, Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons that all live around here, but now also swallows, Tits, robins and a few other things I'm not sure about.

Great to see them all back :)

Dunno where they were last year

on holiday?

what does it mean when you see a gull flying with only one wing?

...it means he's just been the chippy  :wave

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3294 on: February 19, 2023, 02:41:22 pm »
the high-pitched sound will travel no worries - i us a 500 and they hear me  ;D

Ok will give it a go. I’ve got a few shots of them, I’ll see if I have better pic.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3295 on: February 19, 2023, 07:29:46 pm »
sparrows are dead cute

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3296 on: February 19, 2023, 07:31:33 pm »
sparrows are dead cute

They’re full of personality :)

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3297 on: February 23, 2023, 01:24:11 pm »
Beautiful morning in the garden watching and listening to long tailed tits on the feeder. Such a fabulous song.

Then a linnet arrived 🥰

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3298 on: February 24, 2023, 07:05:02 pm »
Internet was down so sat in the back yard taking some pics. Got a few more queued up to edit but really liked this Eastern Phoebe Dark-eyed Junco and Robin

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 02:45:34 pm by Chakan »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3299 on: February 24, 2023, 08:55:14 pm »
Superb again. I loved the Carolina Wren earlier, ours are nothing like that.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3300 on: February 25, 2023, 03:50:02 pm »
lovely them chakan mate - keep it up  :wave

popped out earlier this week and took a few myself with the weather not being as bad or as over cast

saw a grey heron in the field away from me - was a bit too far to get a good shot but liked the way the wings looked on this

..then met another grey heron on the canal who was quite happy for me to take a close up portrait shot of his good side

a cormorant swims past so i use the reflection to try and get a mirror shot

a great crested grebe was 'fishing' but was (again) a bit far away but managed to get an action shot of it with its catch

...and finally, not the best shot of a lapwing, but this fella was showing off flying with just one wing the cheeky get  ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3301 on: February 26, 2023, 02:09:37 pm »
Very nice Liver! Great picks

Oh just a correction apparently the top bird of mine is a Dark-eyed Junco, not an Eastern Phoebe.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3302 on: February 26, 2023, 02:09:49 pm »
Internet was down so sat in the back yard taking some pics. Got a few more queued up to edit but really liked this Eastern Phoebe and Robin

lovely pics

but isn't the first pic a Dark-eyed Junco? Saw one in the New Forest year's ago, looked just like that  ;)
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3303 on: February 26, 2023, 02:33:44 pm »
Very nice Liver! Great picks

Oh just a correction apparently the top bird of mine is a Dark-eyed Junco, not an Eastern Phoebe.
lovely pics

but isn't the first pic a Dark-eyed Junco? Saw one in the New Forest year's ago, looked just like that  ;)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3304 on: February 26, 2023, 02:42:55 pm »
Such beautiful photos everywhere, this thread doesn't half brighten up Rawk.  :)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3305 on: February 26, 2023, 08:37:09 pm »
liver they are incredible photos, absolutely magnificent.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3306 on: February 26, 2023, 10:15:45 pm »
liver they are incredible photos, absolutely magnificent.
Such beautiful photos everywhere, this thread doesn't half brighten up Rawk.  :)

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #3307 on: February 27, 2023, 05:36:15 pm »

what does it mean when you see a gull flying with only one wing?

...it means he's just been the chippy  :wave

I thought he was taking his library book back.

Had a tree creeper in the front garden yesterday and a nuthatch this morning.  The latter was scared off by the cock pheasant that wanders up and down the street.  Mrs TheMissionary's camera was in the other room and I don't have a phone so no photees, but I'll be more prepared next time (I said that last time).
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3308 on: February 28, 2023, 04:12:22 pm »
Never seen this before. I was on my way home on the train when I saw this crow on the bonnet of a car tapping it with beak. I was wondering if he could see his reflection and thinks there is another bird there? Anyone seen anything similar? 😀

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3309 on: March 1, 2023, 08:39:23 am »
Never seen this before. I was on my way home on the train when I saw this crow on the bonnet of a car tapping it with beak. I was wondering if he could see his reflection and thinks there is another bird there? Anyone seen anything similar? 😀

yes - quite a common thing with birds

i once had a couple of sparrows regularly attacking my back door handle - i taped it up and as soon as i did they stopped

my brother had a magpie that was attacking his letterbox and did the same thing - he thought it was kids at first

car door mirrors are another example - there are examples on youtube

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3310 on: March 1, 2023, 01:27:00 pm »
yes - quite a common thing with birds

i once had a couple of sparrows regularly attacking my back door handle - i taped it up and as soon as i did they stopped

my brother had a magpie that was attacking his letterbox and did the same thing - he thought it was kids at first

car door mirrors are another example - there are examples on youtube

That's interesting.  :D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3311 on: March 1, 2023, 01:27:47 pm »
That's interesting.  :D

I think it's been proven that Crows are some of the smartest birds there are, they also hold grudges.

A 2011 study revealed crows can remember the human faces who capture them. According to another a study published in the journal Animal Behaviour, ravens which include crows, jays and magpies, have the ability to 'hold grudges' for up to two years.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3312 on: March 2, 2023, 07:56:26 am »
A few of our locals.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3313 on: March 2, 2023, 07:58:10 am »
Rainbow lorikeets! Is the top one a kookaburra?

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3314 on: March 2, 2023, 08:01:21 am »
A few more.

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3315 on: March 2, 2023, 08:02:13 am »
Rainbow lorikeets! Is the top one a kookaburra?
Sure is.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3316 on: March 2, 2023, 09:41:00 am »
A few of our locals.

flippin eck - and all those at crosby beach?

nice photos mate

is the osprey one taken somewhere were they feed them? the fish is cut in half that's why i'm asking - ospreys are one of my favourite birds

and we do get black swans at crosby - not so much the rainbow lorikeets though  ;D

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #3317 on: March 2, 2023, 02:14:53 pm »
Robins are out and about..

Went to East Cowes for the weekend, saw a ton of Robins. Spring is in the air..
Phuk yoo

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3318 on: March 2, 2023, 02:20:44 pm »
Robins are out and about..

Went to East Cowes for the weekend, saw a ton of Robins. Spring is in the air..

We get a ton in my neighborhood. Always bop bop bopping along.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #3319 on: March 2, 2023, 03:56:44 pm »
We get a ton in my neighborhood. Always bop bop bopping along.

I took a few pictures.. will post it sometime after 6:00 PM..  Its a DSLR (Lumix FZ300) but I am clueless about photography so I use the auto mode!
Phuk yoo