Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282331 times)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #3200 on: January 15, 2023, 04:54:02 pm »
I am hearing a really strange noise outside, it sounds similar to the noise crickets make in the summer. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

A local alarm system running low on battery, perhaps. Mine chirruped before I changed the battery.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3201 on: January 15, 2023, 04:55:56 pm »
A local alarm system running low on battery, perhaps. Mine chirruped before I changed the battery.

It was definitely a bird I went outside and could hear it in the tree, but kept singing late on in the night.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3202 on: January 15, 2023, 05:04:39 pm »
I am hearing a really strange noise outside, it sounds similar to the noise crickets make in the summer. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Could be a nightjar Jill, they sound very similar to what you described.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3203 on: January 16, 2023, 02:39:24 pm »
We've got a male bullfinch in the garden, the first one we've had although we do see them locally.

It's taken up residency amongst the old brambles, sedge and curly dock in the boundary ditch that I leave for the seed eating birds so it's good to know they're taking advantage 😁

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3204 on: January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 am »
We've got a male bullfinch in the garden, the first one we've had although we do see them locally.
Lovely, I don't recall seeing one round here in leafy south Liverpool for ages and ages, although we see all sorts of great birds.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3205 on: January 18, 2023, 12:52:39 pm »
Lovely, I don't recall seeing one round here in leafy south Liverpool for ages and ages, although we see all sorts of great birds.

They're not as common as chaffinch so it's always a pleasure to see them.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3206 on: January 18, 2023, 05:09:43 pm »
Could be a nightjar Jill, they sound very similar to what you described.

I was searching everywhere and no site even suggested a Nighthjar. Thanks Debs, I will go and listen to one. I haven't heard it since the other night sadly maybe just passing through.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3207 on: January 18, 2023, 05:11:28 pm »

It's taken up residency amongst the old brambles, sedge and curly dock in the boundary ditch that I leave for the seed eating birds so it's good to know they're taking advantage 😁

Male Bullfinches are so beautiful, my sister gets quite a few in Derbyshire, I had a couple of Bullfinches in the old house not seen anything since here. They really lighten up the winter bird table though.  :D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3208 on: January 18, 2023, 05:31:15 pm »
Male Bullfinches are so beautiful, my sister gets quite a few in Derbyshire, I had a couple of Bullfinches in the old house not seen anything since here. They really lighten up the winter bird table though.  :D

It was weird as I'd only been chatting with my sister that morning about not getting them in the garden but knowing they're in the local area.  Then a few hours later there he was, feasting away and stayed around for a good half hour.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3209 on: January 23, 2023, 03:27:59 pm »
When it feels like everything else is going to shit, birds can really lift your spirits.

Have hardly seen any chaffinches for years then yesterday, almost out of nowhere, there were literally a dozen, males and females in a little bush out the front. I chucked a bit of extra food around and they seem to be here still.

Really hope that this might be a sign that they are recovering round here and that they will stick around.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3210 on: January 28, 2023, 09:28:21 am »
Anyone done the rspb garden birdwatch survey before?

I've registered but wanted to check if it's only birds that are physically in your garden or can we include those flying over too?

When I used to do the BT one it was basically anything you saw.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3211 on: January 28, 2023, 10:02:05 am »

I've registered but wanted to check if it's only birds that are physically in your garden or can we include those flying over too?

a screenshot from the video debs

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3212 on: January 28, 2023, 10:20:24 am »

Already doing that.  :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3213 on: January 28, 2023, 10:21:47 am »

Debs, I think its only ones which land in your garden although I bet people do if they see something really unusual.  :D

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3214 on: January 28, 2023, 10:50:46 am »
Maybe in the future everyone will have something like the bird buddy that would also collect the data all year round and it can be sent to people like RSPB.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/zlGBhqIYglo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/zlGBhqIYglo</a>

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3215 on: January 28, 2023, 12:46:34 pm »

Thanks mate 👍

Debs, I think its only ones which land in your garden although I bet people do if they see something really unusual.  :D

I'm definitely going to do two separate hours as the back garden where all the feeders are get completely different birds to the other side which is much more open.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3216 on: January 28, 2023, 03:10:29 pm »
Just to say the RSPB have numerous cameras at bird feeding sites on youtube which are available all today and tomorrow. Already seen a Rock Dove at one which I have never seen before and a gorgeous Woodpecker arrived just before as well.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3217 on: January 28, 2023, 04:51:31 pm »
did mine earlier (west derby)

3 blackbirds
1 blue tit
1 robin
1 wood pigeon
1 feral pigeon

kin el
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3218 on: January 28, 2023, 06:25:10 pm »
did mine earlier (west derby)

3 blackbirds
1 blue tit
1 robin
1 wood pigeon
1 feral pigeon

kin el

It's not bad, all my goldfinches and starlings have gone awol today. I reckon it's because everyone in the street is feeding them at the moment, so they are spoilt for choice. Anyway I'm doing mine tomorrow.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3219 on: January 28, 2023, 07:03:09 pm »
Nothing but magpies and parakeets here.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3220 on: January 28, 2023, 10:11:51 pm »
First Walk on the Greenway this year

Canadian Goose

Mallards

Downy Woodpecker

Rust Blackbird taking a bath

I'm not sure what this is, but I think it's a young Tufted Tit Mouse
Cedar Waxling apparently.

House Sparrow

American Robin

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:22:33 pm by Chakan »

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #3221 on: January 29, 2023, 07:45:56 am »
My Count - which I did on Friday

2 Mallards - one male, one female
2 Moorhens
3 Blue tits
1 Crow
2 Magpies
at least 6 wood pigeons
2 blackbirds

I also saw some gulls - but not sure what type.  Disappointingly, the heron didn't make an appearance today.

This count was taken from the green opposite my house, where there is a natural pond.  There are also plenty of trees.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3222 on: January 29, 2023, 09:05:35 am »
Went for a run along the canal yesterday and saw about three or four cormorants flying along, plus a couple of swans and plenty of moorhens. Always want to tell them there’s far nicer patches of water that could choose to make home.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3223 on: January 29, 2023, 09:42:02 am »

Brilliant pictures
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3224 on: January 29, 2023, 11:19:58 am »
The RSPB have put loads cameras up for any interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fDJhxMjPO4

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3225 on: January 29, 2023, 11:20:42 am »
Great pictures Chakan.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3226 on: January 29, 2023, 12:25:02 pm »
I've had a very successful hour with all the 'extras' putting in an appearance.  Those being the birds we get fairly often but always every day.

We even had a red squirrel visit for the first time since last summer.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3227 on: January 29, 2023, 12:35:47 pm »
Brilliant pictures
Great pictures Chakan.

Thanks! Had a lot of fun with them

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3228 on: January 29, 2023, 12:39:44 pm »

lovely stuff mate - we get loads of canada geese (too many some might say) but that waxwing is my favourite - awesome  8)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3229 on: January 29, 2023, 12:48:32 pm »
lovely stuff mate - we get loads of canada geese (too many some might say) but that waxwing is my favourite - awesome  8)

Thanks! We get a few of the geese there occasionally, the generally fly around making a nuisance of themselves when you are driving!

The Waxling was quite far away, and only there for about a minute or 2, definitely a colorful bird, glad I managed to get a pic of it!

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3230 on: February 3, 2023, 04:15:10 pm »
popped over to lunt reserve earlier in the week and it was rainy it was windy and it was grey

undeterred i sauntered on not having a great day until i saw in the far distance a hen harrier gliding majestically over the fields - too far away to get a good shot but i like the way this turned out

that was about it so i decided to head home a bit disappointed but then i noticed this kestrel sitting atop of one of the hides - it looked at me and i looked at it and it flew off - bugger i said before i could focus my lens...

..but as i was walking off along the path heading for home, that same kestrel flew over me and stopped about 40 feet in front of me hovering away with its sight set on some poor prey - so i grabbed my camera

so i inched forward trying not to spook the bird - being able to zoom in now on it's head as this kind of shot seemed more intimate and interesting...

then it suddenly crashed to the ground - right there in front of me as i was now only 10 feet from the bird - the noise of it doing this was surprising as it made such a thud - it looked around for its prey then it looked at me and then flew off without having any luck

i was so made up that i just though 'what an experience! that's it - i'm happy to go home now' when it stopped again and hovered above me again only 10 feet away - so pointed my camera and reeled off a few more close up shots - i had to over-expose the bird as it was a grey day with the bird mostly in shadow so it looks like i've cut and pasted the bird, which obviously i haven't, but i would've preferred a nicer detailed sky

i took a lot more - this was the sharpest - but i didn't want to hamper the bird's hunting any longer and so left it alone to hunt for its dinner and thanking it, which i did out loud as i said 'thank you mrs kestrel' not knowing that there was a couple walking their dogs just going past giving me an odd look  ;D

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #3231 on: February 3, 2023, 04:17:29 pm »
wow those are incredible photos!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3232 on: February 3, 2023, 04:19:39 pm »
They are amazing liver mate, love them.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3233 on: February 3, 2023, 04:24:48 pm »
I'm so jealous mate.  Those pics are spectacular!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3234 on: February 3, 2023, 04:24:50 pm »
Very nice Liver

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3235 on: February 3, 2023, 04:26:25 pm »
popped over to lunt reserve earlier in the week and it was rainy it was windy and it was grey

undeterred i sauntered on not having a great day until i saw in the far distance a hen harrier gliding majestically over the fields - too far away to get a good shot but i like the way this turned out

that was about it so i decided to head home a bit disappointed but then i noticed this kestrel sitting atop of one of the hides - it looked at me and i looked at it and it flew off - bugger i said before i could focus my lens...

..but as i was walking off along the path heading for home, that same kestrel flew over me and stopped about 40 feet in front of me hovering away with its sight set on some poor prey - so i grabbed my camera

so i inched forward trying not to spook the bird - being able to zoom in now on it's head as this kind of shot seemed more intimate and interesting...

then it suddenly crashed to the ground - right there in front of me as i was now only 10 feet from the bird - the noise of it doing this was surprising as it made such a thud - it looked around for its prey then it looked at me and then flew off without having any luck

i was so made up that i just though 'what an experience! that's it - i'm happy to go home now' when it stopped again and hovered above me again only 10 feet away - so pointed my camera and reeled off a few more close up shots - i had to over-expose the bird as it was a grey day with the bird mostly in shadow so it looks like i've cut and pasted the bird, which obviously i haven't, but i would've preferred a nicer detailed sky

i took a lot more - this was the sharpest - but i didn't want to hamper the bird's hunting any longer and so left it alone to hunt for its dinner and thanking it, which i did out loud as i said 'thank you mrs kestrel' not knowing that there was a couple walking their dogs just going past giving me an odd look  ;D

Fantastic pics those mate.  We get Hen Harrier down here in winter on the heaths - never seen one though.  Still one of our most persecuted birds, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2023, 04:28:10 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3236 on: February 3, 2023, 04:40:36 pm »
^
Beautiful pictures there, Liverbloke.  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3237 on: February 3, 2023, 04:59:47 pm »
Brilliant photos there Liverbloke
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3238 on: February 3, 2023, 05:05:19 pm »
Wow, Liverbloke that is some afternoons work. I love both hen harriers and kestrels and it's rare at times to see both of these species as both seem to be struggling. The pictures of the kestrel are so intimate though, it must have been really exciting.  ;D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3239 on: February 4, 2023, 08:30:36 am »
thanks all for the replies  :wave

yeh we've got to look after our birds - and our wildlife and wild spaces

and that's the thing with birding - a boringly grey day can throw something unexpected at you and bam! your dull day turns into something, well.. something that you were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time for

don't think i'll ever get that close to a hunting kestrel again

ah but in the end it's a day out in the sticks with fresh air and wildlife - can't beat that