Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278933 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2840 on: March 23, 2022, 06:36:37 pm »
Spadge.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 06:42:16 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2841 on: March 23, 2022, 06:39:57 pm »
Spadge.

Gorgeous bird

Was it just calm and not going mad trying to get out?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2842 on: March 23, 2022, 06:44:46 pm »
Gorgeous bird

He ran about a bit, but we just let him do his own thing so he calmed right down. He even jumped up onto the arm of the couch and sat next to us at one point.

Last night he jumped up onto a chair, perched on the top of a cushion that was standing on its side, then he went to sleep.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2843 on: March 23, 2022, 06:46:24 pm »
He ran about a bit, but we just let him do his own thing so he calmed right down. He even jumped up onto the arm of the couch and sat next to us at one point.

Last night he jumped up onto a chair, perched on the top of a cushion that was standing on its side, then he went to sleep.

That's mad that, almost like he is an escaped bird rather than a wild one
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2844 on: March 23, 2022, 06:47:29 pm »
Gorgeous bird

I was about to ask that! What would you have done if he’d started going crazy trying to get out?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2845 on: March 23, 2022, 06:53:12 pm »
I was about to ask that! What would you have done if he’d started going crazy trying to get out?

I was keeping hold of him until I got him to the bird hospital regardless. He was close to getting run over by a car before I went over to try to catch him. He just wouldn't have survived, so I'd have just kept him in the house. He had free run of the living room, so could hide if he felt insecure. I think the fact we just let him do his thing calmed him down. I tried to put him through as little stress as possible.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2846 on: March 23, 2022, 07:02:20 pm »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2847 on: March 23, 2022, 07:31:58 pm »
What a beauty.  :D
Yes, he was a lovely little fella.

I've tried to post another photo but I keep messing it up.  :rollseyes

I'm blaming tiredness.  :)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2848 on: March 23, 2022, 07:36:45 pm »
That's mad that, almost like he is an escaped bird rather than a wild one
For a bird of prey I was surprised how calm he was, but we did give him a lot of room so he could feel as safe as possible.

I think it's one of the local hawks. I see them hunting quite regularly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2849 on: March 23, 2022, 09:31:01 pm »
That's great SoS, well done mate.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2850 on: March 24, 2022, 03:31:27 pm »
Saw a brambling on the feeder today. First one I've seen in the garden.

Not my picture:

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2851 on: March 24, 2022, 06:07:10 pm »

Not my picture:

Beautiful birds and not often seen in gardens so well done.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2852 on: March 24, 2022, 06:08:40 pm »
That's great SoS, well done mate.
Cheers John. I'll email them next week to see how the little fella is doing.

*Crosses fingers*

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2853 on: March 24, 2022, 06:47:08 pm »

Not my picture:

I have never seen a Brambling, but they do look beautiful.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2854 on: March 24, 2022, 06:54:19 pm »
I have never seen a Brambling, but they do look beautiful.

They're sort of a cross between a reed bunting and a chaffinch Jill but nowhere near as common.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2855 on: March 24, 2022, 06:57:40 pm »
They're sort of a cross between a reed bunting and a chaffinch Jill but nowhere near as common.

My sister who lives in Derbyshire gets very different birds to me, but they had groups of mixed finches over the winter. Mainly siskins, goldfinches, greenfinches, but I am pretty sure she had a brambling as well. They are obviously rare visitors to bird tables.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2856 on: March 24, 2022, 07:39:01 pm »
My sister who lives in Derbyshire gets very different birds to me, but they had groups of mixed finches over the winter. Mainly siskins, goldfinches, greenfinches, but I am pretty sure she had a brambling as well. They are obviously rare visitors to bird tables.

They will mix in with flocks of finches during the winter so it wouldn't surprise me if she has and they will visit gardens too.

They are woodland and farmland birds but they're also quite common in reed beds especially on the east coast.

That's where I've seen them previously, at Tetney Marshes on the Humber.

We've had long tailed tits on the peanuts recently so I set the camera up today, quite close to get some good pics and instead, the fatballs behind the camera we're buzzing with life 🙄

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2857 on: March 24, 2022, 08:33:07 pm »

Another picture of Spadge, although I've messed it up again and it's tiny.  :duh
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:34:56 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2858 on: March 24, 2022, 08:34:58 pm »

That's a dangerous place to have him, I surprised he was pecking at your wires.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2859 on: March 24, 2022, 08:37:14 pm »
They will mix in with flocks of finches during the winter so it wouldn't surprise me if she has and they will visit gardens too.

They are woodland and farmland birds but they're also quite common in reed beds especially on the east coast.

That's where I've seen them previously, at Tetney Marshes on the Humber.

We've had long tailed tits on the peanuts recently so I set the camera up today, quite close to get some good pics and instead, the fatballs behind the camera we're buzzing with life 🙄

You obviously live in very similar conditions to my sister, she also gets loads of long tailed tits I love those birds, so cute. Yes, I had heard about finches travelling in flocks during the winter i guess it makes perfect sense, a bit of security and safety in numbers. The beginning of spring is so exciting, everything is very competitive at the feeders at the moment.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2860 on: March 24, 2022, 08:44:56 pm »
You obviously live in very similar conditions to my sister, she also gets loads of long tailed tits I love those birds, so cute. Yes, I had heard about finches travelling in flocks during the winter i guess it makes perfect sense, a bit of security and safety in numbers. The beginning of spring is so exciting, everything is very competitive at the feeders at the moment.

We didn't get many in the summer so I've only been noticing them recently.

It's just a year since we moved here and we didn't have the feeders then so maybe they're passing through rather than locals.

Hopefully they'll hang around now they're being fed as I have a soft spot for them too.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2861 on: March 24, 2022, 08:47:53 pm »
That's a dangerous place to have him, I surprised he was pecking at your wires.  ;D
Good job it wasn't plugged in.  :D

He'd just jumped down off the plant in the corner. I'm missing him now.  :-\

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2862 on: April 2, 2022, 04:27:23 pm »
Pretty sure i saw a snowy owl on the roof out back,not seen one of them before.We get Coopers Hawks hanging out often over the winter i think the rats make an easy dinner for em.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2863 on: April 12, 2022, 04:23:32 pm »
We've just had 6 male wheatears in the garden!

A summer visitor to the UK but not that common.  I've only ever seen them once before whilst I was ringing.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2864 on: April 17, 2022, 09:31:23 pm »
Spadge.

Bloody hell! I just came on to say we had a Sparrowhawk at our back door and we think it took our favourite blackbird Tommy (who has a white tail feather - no sign of him).
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2865 on: April 18, 2022, 12:04:21 am »
Bloody hell! I just came on to say we had a Sparrowhawk at our back door and we think it took our favourite blackbird Tommy (who has a white tail feather - no sign of him).
Oh no! Poor Tommy.

At the family home yesterday I could hear the Starlings kicking off and pigeons flapping about. Overhead was a circling Sparrowhawk. I'm always conflicted. I do love birds of prey, but I also love the little fellas they prey on.  :-\  Nature, eh.

I hope Tommy turns up ok.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2866 on: April 18, 2022, 12:14:53 am »
Oh no! Poor Tommy.

At the family home yesterday I could hear the Starlings kicking off and pigeons flapping about. Overhead was a circling Sparrowhawk. I'm always conflicted. I do love birds of prey, but I also love the little fellas they prey on.  :-\  Nature, eh.

I hope Tommy turns up ok.

Let me tell you the story of a poor bird...

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2867 on: April 18, 2022, 12:27:20 am »
Let me tell you the story of a poor bird...
😃

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2868 on: April 18, 2022, 08:50:32 am »
He’s alive! Must have been another blackbird. Tommy has a white tail feather.

This is the terrible attempt at a video of the hawk.

https://imgur.com/a/vrcnx6n

Tommy is one of the five or six birds that come up really close and stay there - his missus Raquel has actually landed on my hand (by mistake - she shat herself).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 08:53:41 am by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2869 on: April 18, 2022, 11:42:07 am »
Good old Tommy. 🤗

I'm glad he's still with us. Hopefully he and Raquel have some chicks soon too.

Blackies are great. Not many around now compared to years ago. Same with the Songy, which is another lovely bird. I remember a kid you could always tell a Songy nest because it had a mud cup.

Anyway, long live Tommy the Blacky.

I can't make much out on the video as I'm only viewing on my phone.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2870 on: April 18, 2022, 12:34:59 pm »
I am glad to hear Tommy has survived.  ;D

I've just come back from staying with my sister in Derbyshire. It was a pretty successful trip bird wise I saw bullfinches, bramblings, siskins, tree creeper, the whole tit family, blackbirds, robins, her three communities of sparrows. The best news is in their bush in their front garden they have a Long Tailed Tit nest! It's a thing of beauty. They also had a baby badger who visited most nights as well, adorable.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2871 on: April 18, 2022, 12:36:57 pm »
Rock on Tommy!

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2872 on: April 18, 2022, 12:58:10 pm »
I am glad to hear Tommy has survived.  ;D

I've just come back from staying with my sister in Derbyshire. It was a pretty successful trip bird wise I saw bullfinches, bramblings, siskins, tree creeper, the whole tit family, blackbirds, robins, her three communities of sparrows. The best news is in their bush in their front garden they have a Long Tailed Tit nest! It's a thing of beauty. They also had a baby badger who visited most nights as well, adorable.

Liam and Noel?

Seriously though, what a lovely experience for you. We had similar the other week staying next to Moel Famau in Wales. Nature is a joy.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2873 on: April 18, 2022, 09:20:34 pm »
;D

They’re a few broods in - we used to be able to see into their nest from a bench but they’ve moved house a few trees away sadly. Mealworms everywhere at our door.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2874 on: April 18, 2022, 10:17:05 pm »
Liam and Noel?

Seriously though, what a lovely experience for you. We had similar the other week staying next to Moel Famau in Wales. Nature is a joy.

I liked that.  ;D

Without nature life would be entirely different.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2875 on: April 28, 2022, 09:00:11 pm »

This guy was up in my hood from down south,sadly i didn't see it while i was out by the river today.
https://www.universalhub.com/2022/southern-bird-comes-visit

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2876 on: May 1, 2022, 10:15:19 am »
Startled a woodpecker as I came out of my house yesterday. Flew out of the hedge and across the road but saw a flash of yellowy/green and a red cap so had to be a woodpecker I think.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2877 on: May 15, 2022, 09:21:47 pm »
A Woodpecker was pecking at one of my bird boxes which has chicks in. I've never seen anything like it to be honest. Would it be just pecking the wood for grubs or would it be after the chicks?

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2878 on: May 15, 2022, 09:27:05 pm »
A Woodpecker was pecking at one of my bird boxes which has chicks in. I've never seen anything like it to be honest. Would it be just pecking the wood for grubs or would it be after the chicks?

Woodpeckers can go for the chicks inside, that's one of the reasons why I fixed metal plates around the holes in mine, this year.

However, if they want to get through the sides of the box, there isn't much to stop them.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/wildlife-questions/15542/woodpecker-destroying-blue-tit-box
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:32:21 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2879 on: May 15, 2022, 09:43:49 pm »
Woodpeckers can go for the chicks inside,

Ta Red, new one to me that. Yeah, I'll be placing something round the hole once they've fledged.