Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1047453 times)

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #17960 on: March 29, 2023, 06:32:20 pm »
Can anyone remember the name of the chocolate bar from the 70s that was dark chocolate with a raspberry cream type filling?

I'm having an old lady blonde moment 🤦

First one that jumps out to me is Fry's Chocolate Cream but ya can still get them.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17961 on: March 29, 2023, 06:40:02 pm »

First one that jumps out to me is Fry's Chocolate Cream but ya can still get them.

It's Ruffles 👍

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17962 on: March 29, 2023, 07:16:42 pm »
That's a chip/crisps brand over here!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #17963 on: March 30, 2023, 08:10:02 am »
It's Ruffles 👍

they're more like a thicker coconut-y bounty type raspberry filling

my nan used to buy me them when i was growing up and every time i see them i think of her
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #17964 on: March 30, 2023, 11:30:30 am »
Yeah. Just don't turn your camera on, or deny it access when it asks initially.

Works a treat and was a life-saver when we were working from home and I got away with having no video, because my camera was "broken". :D

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17965 on: March 30, 2023, 03:47:25 pm »
they're more like a thicker coconut-y bounty type raspberry filling

my nan used to buy me them when i was growing up and every time i see them i think of her

They are/were that type of filling and they remind me of high school 😁

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17966 on: April 11, 2023, 10:43:35 am »
I've got a Carrera Vengance mountain bike, 27.5" wheels, it looks like 1" wide rims. Obviously mountain bike tyres.

Would I be able to but & fit 1.5" roadwheels (I don't think I want slim 1") to it and if so will I need new tubes also?

Ta folks.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17967 on: April 11, 2023, 12:00:34 pm »
I've got a Carrera Vengance mountain bike, 27.5" wheels, it looks like 1" wide rims. Obviously mountain bike tyres.

Would I be able to but & fit 1.5" roadwheels (I don't think I want slim 1") to it and if so will I need new tubes also?

Ta folks.

Do you just want to be able to use slick (or at least with less profile) tyres? Or is there another reason for wanting new wheels?

You should be able to find non-knobbly tyres for your current wheels. I have some cheapo lifeline ones in 26" for my old commuter bike.

If you want new wheels, you'd have to work out (or measure) the diameter (with tyres) of the current ones and of the new ones. . 27.5" wheels are also called 650B, and some bikes are designed to take both 29"/700c (road) wheels and the smaller 650B with a larger tyre. But usually those come with the larger wheel, so I wouldn't be sure that you can swap a 700c wheel with a skinny tyre into a 650B frame too...)
Alternatively - do you have a wheel ypu can put in to test it?

Does the bike have disc brakes, or rim brakes? Rim might be more difficult, because you'll have to make sure the brake track is in the right spot, not just the diameter of the wheels.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 12:11:11 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17968 on: April 11, 2023, 01:24:23 pm »
Thanks Redbyrdz.
The bike has disc brakes.

It's to reduce rolling resistance really, I won't be going off-road on it so just want to get about a bit easier that with the wide tyres. Mate have plans for going various places.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17969 on: April 11, 2023, 02:10:40 pm »
Thanks Redbyrdz.
The bike has disc brakes.

It's to reduce rolling resistance really, I won't be going off-road on it so just want to get about a bit easier that with the wide tyres. Mate have plans for going various places.

I'd just get some semi-slick 650B tyres, and keep the current wheels. That's the easiest and cheapest change. There should be plenty of choice now, because the size has become popular for gravel riding. You should be able to keep the same tubes then too.

This looks a great offer:
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/wtb-horizon-road-tcs-tyre-tan-650-x-47c-1/

...but there's plenty of choice. "Commuter" tyres will generally be more sturdy, but also heavier and slower. If you're planning on some longer rides, I'd get a better tyre (like the one above) for less rolling resistance. But then also pack an extra tube in case things go wrong.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 02:18:10 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17970 on: April 11, 2023, 03:22:46 pm »
Thank you so much for your help, I'll look in to it all :)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #17971 on: April 11, 2023, 06:07:45 pm »
John next week......

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17972 on: April 11, 2023, 06:10:17 pm »
 ;D

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17973 on: April 11, 2023, 06:58:35 pm »
Honestly saw someone in that kit today!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #17974 on: April 11, 2023, 07:19:45 pm »
Honestly saw someone in that kit today!
Was he struggling with tyres that had too much traction by any chance, while taking a week to write a post.....?

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17975 on: April 11, 2023, 09:03:40 pm »
Was he struggling with tyres that had too much traction by any chance, while taking a week to write a post.....?

;D

Nope. Was quite fast. New tyres seem to be working....

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17976 on: April 11, 2023, 10:11:45 pm »
;D

Nope. Was quite fast. New tyres seem to be working....

Dressed like that no wonder he was fast, you'd not want anyone to recognise you
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #17977 on: April 12, 2023, 04:56:37 pm »
Any ideas what this is? I was cleaning up leaves with the blower in the drive way and underneath my camper and this popped out. Now I dunno if it's just got caught under the camper or actually part of it?? Bit worried now.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17978 on: April 12, 2023, 06:22:32 pm »
Any ideas what this is? I was cleaning up leaves with the blower in the drive way and underneath my camper and this popped out. Now I dunno if it's just got caught under the camper or actually part of it?? Bit worried now.

that's the flange-sprocket-fixing

if it isn't connected to the gasket baring using the throttle-adaptor then your camper van will explode

hope that helps
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17979 on: April 12, 2023, 06:24:02 pm »
that's the flange-sprocket-fixing

if it isn't connected to the gasket baring using the throttle-adaptor then your camper van will explode

hope that helps

;D Well hopefully the camper doesn't explode anytime soon!!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17980 on: April 12, 2023, 07:33:19 pm »
;D Well hopefully the camper doesn't explode anytime soon!!

Camper van beethoven gas leak...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17981 on: April 12, 2023, 07:34:12 pm »
Camper van beethoven gas leak...

Luckily my camper doesn't use propane or anything like that! Can you imagine :P

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17982 on: April 13, 2023, 01:24:03 am »
On the plus side MI5 won't be able to keep tabs on your camping trips any more
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17983 on: April 13, 2023, 02:16:33 am »
On the plus side MI5 won't be able to keep tabs on your camping trips any more

In the US? British secret service have a lot of explaining to do all the way here :P

Plus they can just track my phone anyway...

Me to wife : Honey do you think the government and corporations are listening to everything we say??
My wife : Of course!! Don't be ridiculous.

I laughed, she laughed, Siri laughed, Alexa laughed.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17984 on: April 13, 2023, 02:19:12 am »
 ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17985 on: April 13, 2023, 02:22:04 am »
In the US? British secret service have a lot of explaining to do all the way here :P
My mistake...MI6
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17986 on: April 13, 2023, 02:46:47 am »
My mistake...MI6

;D well the good thing is that it’s actually got nothing to do with my camper which is a relief. Still no idea what it is, but a guy who works on my specific camper line says he’s never seen that on a camper before. So might be just something that was in my driveway.

Or said tracking device ;)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17987 on: April 13, 2023, 07:36:15 am »
;D well the good thing is that it’s actually got nothing to do with my camper which is a relief. Still no idea what it is, but a guy who works on my specific camper line says he’s never seen that on a camper before. So might be just something that was in my driveway.

Or said tracking device ;)

Looks like it was meant to hold something under it, so somewhere there is a car bomb lying in the road. MI6 really need to look at the quality of their operatives.....
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17988 on: April 13, 2023, 11:23:00 am »
Looks like it was meant to hold something under it, so somewhere there is a car bomb lying in the road. MI6 really need to look at the quality of their operatives.....

Apparently someone mentioned it might be for a screw top garage opener type thingy. So I’m looking into that now.

Yeah they really need to work on their spy stuff, as my camper has been parked in the same spot for around 4 months cause of the winter, so that’s a useless piece of information and if it is a pipe bomb exploding ordinance of some sort, my camper doesn’t have a starter switch. Amateurs.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17989 on: April 13, 2023, 01:02:41 pm »
Apparently someone mentioned it might be for a screw top garage opener type thingy. So I’m looking into that now.

Yeah they really need to work on their spy stuff, as my camper has been parked in the same spot for around 4 months cause of the winter, so that’s a useless piece of information and if it is a pipe bomb exploding ordinance of some sort, my camper doesn’t have a starter switch. Amateurs.

yes - looking on google it looks like it's the trolley part of a garage opener mechanical system

(and i'm being serious this time)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17990 on: April 13, 2023, 01:06:57 pm »
yes - looking on google it looks like it's the trolley part of a garage opener mechanical system

Yeah something akin to this maybe...

Seems like the mystery has been almost solved, which is quite a relief. Plus my garage door still works so that's a bonus.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17991 on: April 13, 2023, 02:15:41 pm »

first time for everything...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #17992 on: April 17, 2023, 09:55:49 am »
Going to America in September with a group of the lads, unfortunately they are all flying from Heathrow to Philadelphia and since Covid you can no longer fly directly to Philly.
My options are fly into New York and commute down, apparently its something like $12 on the train. Alternatively I can go with Aer Lingus via Dublin into Philadelphia.

But, my question is, if I am flying alone is it worth going Business Class? I've got a bit of money left to me, not mega amounts, but its probably my only chance to sample it. I watch the YouTube videos and it does look good.

Would you have a go or go economy and save your dough?
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17993 on: April 17, 2023, 10:14:22 am »
Going to America in September with a group of the lads, unfortunately they are all flying from Heathrow to Philadelphia and since Covid you can no longer fly directly to Philly.
My options are fly into New York and commute down, apparently its something like $12 on the train. Alternatively I can go with Aer Lingus via Dublin into Philadelphia.

But, my question is, if I am flying alone is it worth going Business Class? I've got a bit of money left to me, not mega amounts, but its probably my only chance to sample it. I watch the YouTube videos and it does look good.

Missus has done first class to San Francisco, she loved it.

If I had the money I'd do it both ways, if money is a bit tight, economy out and business back. I've done Florida 3 times, always economy and the out leg has always been fine, but never been able to sleep coming back, too noisy and dickheads pushing the seats back is annoying as fuck.

If you've never been the states, word of advice - when you get there, stay up until 10/11pm USA time, so its 3/4am UK time - you'll then wake at 7/8 am and will immediately adjust to USA time - if you go to bed earlier, you'll wake up about 4am their time. Coming back, you'll be fucked, but stay up til 10pm or you'll suffer.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17994 on: April 17, 2023, 10:17:13 am »
On flying to NY or via Dublin, I've never done it myself but definitely seen it recommended flying through Ireland if you can because you can go through border control/visa checks in Dublin with much lower queues (and walk out the airport in Philly as if you came off a domestic flight) than you would get in NY if flying direct from UK.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17995 on: April 17, 2023, 11:08:46 am »
On flying to NY or via Dublin, I've never done it myself but definitely seen it recommended flying through Ireland if you can because you can go through border control/visa checks in Dublin with much lower queues (and walk out the airport in Philly as if you came off a domestic flight) than you would get in NY if flying direct from UK.

Yep, my mum did that flying to Boston with Aer Lingus, they flew Manc to Shannon, cleared US customs and straight out at Logan.

Last time we did Florida we were in a queue for about 2 hours at passport control, about 4 transatlantic flights landed one after the other and a flight from Mexico and they hardly had any desks open, not funny after a 9 hour flight

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #17996 on: April 17, 2023, 03:05:16 pm »
Is there anywhere I can ask techie questions?

I am trying to create a forms questionnaire, where the answer is recorded in a different excel sheet depending upon the first answer to the form.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17997 on: April 17, 2023, 03:09:03 pm »
Is there anywhere I can ask techie questions?

I am trying to create a forms questionnaire, where the answer is recorded in a different excel sheet depending upon the first answer to the form.

Here might be best?

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=351294.msg18788084#new

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #17998 on: April 17, 2023, 04:18:16 pm »

I did first class once in my life Seat A1 on a trans atlantic flight. It was great. I got very drunk on endless booze and had plenty of leg room.

I dodnt see business class as that much of a big deal. I would go first class or baggage class, no point wasting your own money on a minor upgrade. The big bonus is hanging out in the lounge before hand if you long layovers or a flight later in the day. I met a guy on the train tp Gatwick one one time and he had an extra lounge pass. We both got massively smashed in the 2-3 hours before we had to board. That was awesome.

Personally I wouldnt waste your money on business class and do first class later in life when your body will appreciate it more.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17999 on: April 17, 2023, 04:39:52 pm »

I did business class to Dubai and back (and Maldives and back from there too) - and I thought it was 100000% worth it.

The quality of it does depend on the airline and plane though, so double check before you go for it.