Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 233584 times)

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2009, 09:27:14 pm »
Was in NY May 19th - May 25th. Been to US workwise but mostly in-out and hotels, so basically loved it to stay for a couple of daysl.

Stayed at hampton inn between 51st and 52nd - happy with that. Done mostly the tourist things :

* For sightseeing we did the 3-hour boat cruise. weather and coors were nice
* central park was nice; if you bring the missus; go to the lake bar and enjoy life
* used stubhub to go to yankees; changing between a nightmare and an experience but enjoyed it
* broadway - went to mamma mia; ok but more fun in london - different crowd
* statue of liberty/ellis island - enjoyed that - the americans know how to put up a line and follow it
* lunch in little italy was good
* top of the rocks - two minutes wait in the afternoon - great view
* shopping - trainers and clothes very reasonable
* had a couple of meals in serafinas (3-4 restaurants - enjoyed them)

The thing I probably enjoyed the most was just wandering around - the whole yellow taxis, starbucks, attitude thing. Next time I'll probably just walk around, have a few beers and just look at people..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2009, 10:41:44 pm »
People watching in NYC is always good fun. I went a few days ago, and aside from doing the Empire State Building we didn't do a lot else, other than eat in Little Italy and walk around the place. It's a good place to go and kick back once you've done the touristy things - watching such a frantic city when you're in no rush whatsoever can be quite entertaining.

Heading back there to catch The Lion King on Sunday, should be good.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2009, 01:32:34 am »
Is there like a good part to stay that aint expensive but still good for us holidayers? Will be drinking quite alot on this holiday so bars close by are a must for football and beer!

this what advice i can give...if you want to be by a bar with football you have to options - the lower east side (or west side) or hoboken.  the liverpool bar in the city is on 11th and avenue a and the bar for anything else is nevada smiths (14th and 3rd ave).  It is pretty easy walk or very cheap cab ride from anywhere in the village.  you can also stay anywhere on the east side and the 4-5-6 trains run right down 3rd ave and have stops very close.  the other option is to stay in hoboken.  it's a bit cheaper, you can catch the train to the city on the weekends every 10-15 minutes and takes about 10 minutes to get to the village to go to the lfc pub.  there is a bar in hoboken, new jersey (mulligans) owned by a chelsea fan which shows all the premiership fixtures which are on tv.  the crowds there aren't as big but the only one where you can get a full breakfast at the bar.  the advantage to staying at a hotel in hoboken is that it's probably a lot cheaper than staying in manhattan. there is also it's own bar scene in the town itself, which gets people from all over new jersey.  the trains to and from the city run 24 hours and very safe, from 11-5am they run every 30 minutes though.  during the day it's very quick though.  jersey city is also cheap and you can get to the bars in the city very quickly but doesn't have quite the same night life.

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2009, 10:41:24 am »
Spent a few nights there on my honeymoon in late 2002. My wife (from Dublin) loved it. Me (from a fairly rural part of Cheshire) thought it was a bit too noisy & dirty. Having said that, it was a bit like walking down Sesame Street. Everything looks familiar as it's all been in a film at some point.

We did find a nice 'local' bar that was full of a large collection of weirdo's. From memory, there was a woman in a big fur coat & hat, with sunglasses & flip-flops on (it was minus 6), eating raw broccolli dipped in tomato sauce, a former Serbian prisoner of war who kept cursing me for being British and starting all the worlds problems, then kissing me & buying me a drink, a Cuban who had come to play baseball, an old guy who claimed to have been Sinatra's producer (and everyone backed him up), and a little bald black guy who kept slow dancing with me (much to my wife's amusement), and a barmaid who came from 2 miles away from where my wife grew up. All in all a very bizarre place.

To top it all off, an African fella who was selling shite on the side of the street suddenly started talking about football, and on hearing I was a red, proceeded to tell me how amazing Salif Diao was.

Saw Russell Howard last night and he'd overheard a manc talking to his mate about a recent trip to New York, and he summed it up thus: "It was fucking shiiite. All fart & no shit" and his mate just replied "I know what you mean"

Offline lurganirishlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2009, 06:03:34 pm »
A cheap crappy hotel in the centre of times square is the carter hotel  its really cheap but like 1-2 stars who cares if ur doin it on the cheap i think its either 43 or 47street but located beside the bus station if ur gettin bus from newark or jfk airport
mma

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #165 on: June 29, 2009, 08:42:21 pm »
A cheap crappy hotel in the centre of times square is the carter hotel  its really cheap but like 1-2 stars who cares if ur doin it on the cheap i think its either 43 or 47street but located beside the bus station if ur gettin bus from newark or jfk airport

Oh my goodness, the Carter  ;D Seriously, a cardboard box outside Penn Station is better. The Carter is a running joke - check the reviews on Trip Advisor - hilarious. How it stays open, nobody knows.

A good budget tourist class hotel in NYC is the Americana Inn - mid town, around 34th st, off 7th ave, in the Garment District.

"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2009, 08:49:27 pm »
Oh dear that Carter Hotel sounds like a place to avoid!!
Tripadvisor still making me think we made a good hotel choice at the moment :)

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2009, 09:19:38 pm »
We stayed at The Wyndham by Wingate (near Macy's) last time we went, and that had good reviews on Tripadvisor and was fairly cheap (compared to others).  We've also stayed at the Red Roof Inn (in Little Korea) and The Novotel (great views of Times Square)

We did the open top bus tour this time, which was well worth it as you got to cover loads of NYC in a short time......beware of the guides though as some of them are full of bullshit (v.funny though)!!

We liked the Elephant Bar on 1st Street.......2 for 1 cocktails, although we always visit the bar in Macy's cellar as their cocktails are good (as well as the beer)!!!  Oyster Bar below Grand Central Station was good if you like Oysters/Fish.

We stayed a lot around Greenwich Village which had a more laid back feel to it, rather than the hustle & bustle of Times Square.  Wherever you end up though, you'll have a great time!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2009, 09:33:42 pm »
Christ just spent half an hour Reading the reviews for The Carter! Amazing.
Reminds me why I always check tripadvisor etc before booking anything

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2009, 09:36:59 pm »
Also.....

As others have said, Top Of The Rock is better than The Empire State Building and is much quieter!  We went at night (pissed up) & the views were amazing.

We've visited Katz Deli every time we've been to NYC, as the pastrami sandwiches are the best in the world.....although make sure you arrive hungry, as they're fuckin huge!

Again, others have mentioned it, but Grimaldi's pizza's are fantastic, although you will have to queue to get in unless you get there v.early.  However, I reckon the best pizza place is Joe's pizza at Carmine Street, and it's nowhere near as busy!

If you're flying into Newark, get the train to Manhattan rather than a taxi as it's 1/2 the price & just as quick!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:23 pm »
Christ just spent half an hour Reading the reviews for The Carter! Amazing.
Reminds me why I always check tripadvisor etc before booking anything

;D 's amzing eh! Murders and all sorts in that place!

Regards neighborhoods of NYC to check out, my favourite places:

Soho - wonderful steel facades to the buildings, cobbled streets, loads of smaller stores, bars, cafes, still has a bit of a ungentrified feel to it (sadly, New York City is getting more and more gentrified year on year).

Chelsea - loads of smaller art galleries on every street, well worth a wonder if you are into galleries, Tony Shafrazi gallery being one of the best. And the meat packing district close by as well has some galleries, and a load of bars.

East Village - ditto the gentrified thing - it has been, but still a lot of character and great streets to wonder regards stores, cafes, bars etc. Tomkins sq park is nice these days!

Nelson Rockefeller State Park / Battery Park - great views of the SOL from Battery Park, and if you wonder up to Rockerfeller State Park, it's a nice spot and good views, and also some great sculpture by the wonderful Tom Otterness.

Williamsburg,  Brooklyn - loads of little art galleries, some cool bars, and cafes, good place for a wonder.

Long Island City, Queens - great art gallery - PS1, and also 5 pointz (if you are into graffiti!), and wonder up to Gantry State Park for some great views of Manhattan - a bit different to the classic views you normally associate with the city, and the giant Pepsi Sign :D

Coney Island / Brighton Beach, Brooklyn - sadly Coney Island isn't what it was, cos guess what - yeah more development and gentrifications ;) But on a sunny day it's a lovely boardwalk and beach. And Brighton Beach is an interesting spot - it's called Little Odessa for a reason!

Oh and if you like Dive Bars - try Rudy's in Hells kitchen :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:42:15 pm by Benitez »
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »
my god what a marvellous city
i really gotta go back
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2009, 10:06:12 pm »
if you go up a tall building

try tp get up there half hour before sunset

watching the views change as the sunset is unreal

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2009, 10:40:13 pm »
if you go up a tall building

try tp get up there half hour before sunset

watching the views change as the sunset is unreal

got upto 86th floor of empire state

mother of god i was never so scared of heights in my life

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:23 pm »
Regards the tall buidings -  may have been said in this thread before - probably has, but I haven't had the time to read all of it, so sorry if I'm repeating!

In the daytime go up Rockefeller Center  = 'Top of the Rock', less waiting time for starters than the Empire State, but also, of course, from the Rockerfeller you get  a view of the Empire State - THE most iconic of buildings! Also, you get a great view of Central Park.

But at night - no question - go up the Empire State Building. It's just stunning. The Rockefeller at night is fine - but as one major part of the view is Central Park - that of course is swathed in darkness at night, so the view in general from Top of the Rock isn't as impressive. ESB at night though - very  8)

Offline Chamby

• Anny Roader
    • WheelHouse Tracks
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2009, 12:52:38 am »
Head up to the upper westside and morningside heights!
www.WheelHouseTracks.com

Reds
"and if it ends in a dead heat, they will settle it through a bout of Greco-Roman wrestling, Benitez versus Ferguson..."

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2009, 04:17:31 am »
Been here for over a week now and all we've done is shop and chill with family. Went to the top of the rockafella which was cool.

Will be heading to the Statue of Liberty and Central Park tomorrow.

First time for the wife in NY, and she's already planning to come back soon due to the savings to be made on clothes!

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2009, 04:18:53 am »
got upto 86th floor of empire state

mother of god i was never so scared of heights in my life

Try the glass floor on top of the CNN tower in Toronto.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2009, 09:51:39 am »

Yeah! I've done that....freaky!!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48:55 am »
Gonna go down Algonquin tonight for a beer.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2009, 11:49:27 am »

how high is that

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »
From memory  ;), to the top of the Antenna/Spire is 553.33 m (1,815.4 ft) tall. The Roof is 457.2 m (1,500.0 ft) tall. And, the Top floor is 446.5 m (1,464.9 ft) tall.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2009, 01:26:27 pm »
From memory  ;), to the top of the Antenna/Spire is 553.33 m (1,815.4 ft) tall. The Roof is 457.2 m (1,500.0 ft) tall. And, the Top floor is 446.5 m (1,464.9 ft) tall.
shit

not afriad of heights really but empire was bad for me. was tryna video it and my hands were shaking. just had this vision of my girlfriends camera smashing to pieces 86 floors below. more than likely on some poor fuckers brain

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2009, 01:38:20 pm »
Best and cheapest unknown attraction in NYC is the Roosevelt Island tramway at night.  62nd St and 2nd Ave.  For the price of a round trip subway ride you get an incredible cablecar view of the east side of manhattan as you climb above the Queensborough Bridge and a five minute ride to Roosevelt.  Wait 10 minutes and the same car will take you back.

Check out the NY Water Taxi.  Makes stops all up and down the Hudson from 125th to Battery Park and even to Brooklyn and Queens before terminus at 34th & East River.  $12 all day lets you explore the city and attractions at your leisure whils staying at the shoreline and getting unique views available nowhere else.

For nighttime entertainment, ya can't beat the value at BB King's.  Big price for the headliners in the main room, nowt for the solid Blues players every night in Lucille's Lounge.  42nd between 7th & 8th
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:59:59 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2009, 02:30:59 pm »
how high is that

Claimed to be the highest viewing deck in the world.

People standing around too scared to walk onto the glass panels. I have no problems with heights so loved it. But one of the guys working there told me that the whole floor is made of glass panels. Only when people were too scared to get out of the lift, did they put flooring down on most of it.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2009, 02:50:51 pm »
Best and cheapest unknown attraction in NYC is the Roosevelt Island tramway at night.  62nd St and 2nd Ave.  For the price of a round trip subway ride you get an incredible cablecar view of the east side of manhattan as you climb above the Queensborough Bridge and a five minute ride to Roosevelt.  Wait 10 minutes and the same car will take you back.

Check out the NY Water Taxi.  Makes stops all up and down the Hudson from 125th to Battery Park and even to Brooklyn and Queens before terminus at 34th & East River.  $12 all day lets you explore the city and attractions at your leisure whils staying at the shoreline and getting unique views available nowhere else.

For nighttime entertainment, ya can't beat the value at BB King's.  Big price for the headliners in the main room, nowt for the solid Blues players every night in Lucille's Lounge.  42nd between 7th & 8th

Nice little gems them mate, cheers. Must remember those if I ever get back.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2009, 05:09:18 pm »
And you lot wot visit NYC during the season, keep in mind McCormack's, 365 Third Ave (25th).

11th Street might be better atmo,  but scran at my local may be the best in town.  Plenty of decent sized screens and fewer Mancs than Nevada Smith.

Full Irish brekker including black and white pud, mushrooms & fried onions.
Kill the humourless

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2009, 10:46:14 am »
Well the bloke in work has found a hotel, its not booked yet hes just suggesting it

It's the Holiday Inn in midtown, 57th street

Anybody know if thats a good hotel and an ok area?

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2009, 10:49:13 am »
I've been mate, on my own and then with the missus in a group of about 20. Definately reccommend it although the hotels are not cheap. You make that up on the food and shopping and theres lots to do.
Who you going with?
YNWA

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2009, 11:15:49 am »
I got back a couple of weeks ago. What a place!  I flew to NY by myself as I would be staying with family, so when they were at work I would just walk around the city, always ending up in Central Park - wow. It's like tit Monday every day! I also loved going to Staten Island to take a step back from it all. As I was sat on the plane about to fly back I could just about make out the skyline and I felt a real sadness to be leaving. I love London; it's home for me - but after seeing New York it just isn't the same.

What I will say, though, is that London Underground is like a palace compared to the MTA Subway. Then again, we've got nothing near a Grand Central Station over here.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2009, 11:36:52 am »
I've been mate, on my own and then with the missus in a group of about 20. Definately reccommend it although the hotels are not cheap. You make that up on the food and shopping and theres lots to do.
Who you going with?
6 other people, my missus and 5 people from work!

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2009, 11:41:30 am »
Best city in the world, IMO. I have been twice and both times it has taken my breath away. There is just an energy to it that kinda makes you excited when you walk the streets...especially at night time.

^^ 57th street is fine. Near Central park.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2009, 12:05:18 pm »
Is it next to a load of liverpool friendly bars? The derby will be on when i go over!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2009, 09:10:56 pm »
Week and a half til I go, can't wait!!

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2009, 03:09:20 am »
Is it next to a load of liverpool friendly bars? The derby will be on when i go over!
Not sure about Liverpool friendly..but there are a ton of sports bars in Manhattan.

Theres a bar called Landsdowne Road...they usually show the Premier League footie and Champions League. If you are at the Holiday Inn, the bar is like 5-10 minutes walk.
The place is littered with sports bars. Some have silly dress codes though but you can spot them from a mile away.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:15:13 am by b_joseph »

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2009, 08:36:36 am »

http://www.lfcny.org/11thstbar.htm

Check that out. Was the Newcastle game there and it was tons of fun. The only problem is, you may have to get-up early since the games are usually at 7:30 am or around 10 am.

Oh, and I fucking love New York!

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2009, 09:03:46 am »
I'd love to go to New York sometime.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2009, 10:01:32 am »
I dont mind the bar being a 5-10minute walk from the holiday inn, yep will be a well early kick off so a bar that might be open all night might be our best bet!
We will have an evertonian with us aswell!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2009, 11:10:43 am »
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/nycmq-new-york-marriott-marquis/

Revolvong restaurant/bar called The View.  Good for a meal if you're with the missus, equally good with a few lads for some beers or cocktails.

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2009, 11:24:56 am »
Would love to live over there in the near future. Either New York or Miami.