Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799111 times)

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2006, 10:29:41 am »
I think I would find that really difficult to be injured for a period of time. ive been very fortunate not to really pick anything serious up so far!

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2006, 11:04:32 am »
What hip injury did you have, Pheeny? Congrats on getting back into the swing of things. It's got to be tough sitting out for that long. Are you aiming for any events later in the year?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Pheeny

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2006, 12:15:52 pm »
Its not a hip injury as such.Its The piriformis syndrome which is a pain in the arse,literally.
Hopefully I'll be doing a 10 miler around October and then next years a couple of 1/2 marathons.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2006, 08:59:51 pm »
Had a read on it, sounds like an annoying one. Ah well, at least you're back running now, hopefully the summer will bring good weather to aid your comeback.

Bloomin' love summer evening runs; mp3s, warmth and an ice-cold beer in the garden afterwards :)

Offline Greenoak

• Main Stander
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2006, 09:34:40 pm »
I did the London marathon 2 years ago.

Did my knees in and had to have surgery on both of them. Lateral release. Still in pain 2 years later. Surgery did not really help. The only difference is they no not creek anymore.

No way I can run anymore.

I wish I could but now 2 stones heavier than when I was running.

Did my first half marathon in 2.07 but knees went before the day. Took me 5 hours and 4 seconds to finish. 2 17 first half 2 43 second half.

I would love to be able to run again as I loved the training, and changing from a coach pototo to a runner in 4 months.
Fernando Torres el numero nueve de Liverpool.....

Pheeny

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2006, 09:46:27 pm »
Had a read on it, sounds like an annoying one. Ah well, at least you're back running now, hopefully the summer will bring good weather to aid your comeback.

Bloomin' love summer evening runs; mp3s, warmth and an ice-cold beer in the garden afterwards :)
sitting on a tennis ball helps.Google is wonderful!!!

Offline fox1977

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • freepremiershiponline.com
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2006, 09:55:35 am »
I done the london marathon last weekend in 4 hours 58 mins.  The race is absolutely amazing.  The place is buzzing.

Had a few aches and pains after it though.  Definitely recommend to any runner to do it even if you have to get a gold bond place and raise loads of money.  Clearly the best race around.

Some of my piccys on here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65597738@N00/136055657/in/photostream/

www.realbuzz.com is another good running site.  Especially the forum,
http://www.freepremiershiponline.com/ - guide to streaming football online

Offline skeebo

• Kopite
  • FA Cup 2006, Just after the last pen! Wooohooo!
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2006, 10:10:40 am »
Nice one dave!!

I did the Liverpool half marathon and Im training for the London next year :)
Justice for the 96

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2006, 10:44:38 am »
I done the london marathon last weekend in 4 hours 58 mins.  The race is absolutely amazing.  The place is buzzing.

Had a few aches and pains after it though.  Definitely recommend to any runner to do it even if you have to get a gold bond place and raise loads of money.  Clearly the best race around.

Some of my piccys on here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65597738@N00/136055657/in/photostream/

www.realbuzz.com is another good running site.  Especially the forum,

Doesnt Spoony (running next to you) look different in the flesh.  :P
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2006, 07:16:13 pm »
Nice one dave!!

I did the Liverpool half marathon and Im training for the London next year :)

The hardest part is getting into London!!

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2006, 11:58:56 am »
Bump to ask how's everyone's summer running going?

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2006, 12:10:15 pm »
Bump to ask how's everyone's summer running going?

N/A.

I'm about as fit as Homer Simpson, due to a combination of a bad back, too much on, and laziness ;D
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Pheeny

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2006, 12:14:42 pm »
My fitness is getting better.Leg/hip/back much better and I'm now able to run 5/6 times a week.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2006, 12:16:24 am »
N/A.
I'm about as fit as Homer Simpson, due to a combination of a bad back, too much on, and laziness ;D
;D

Impressed with that amount of running, Pheeny, especially after your injury. You training for any specific event?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:52:49 pm by Ben_JP »

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #94 on: October 8, 2007, 12:18:15 am »
My God it must have been brutal in Chicago this morning.  This is a race I've always heard good things about.

A runner dies as heat ravages Chicago Marathon; 250 hospitalized

* Story Highlights
    * Marathon run in record 88-degree heat, high humidity
    * 250 people taken to area hospitals due heat-related ailments
    * Patrick Ivuti won by a fraction of a second, coming in at 2:11:11

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Organizers shut down the course four hours after the start of Sunday's Chicago Marathon because of 88-degree heat and sweltering humidity that left one runner dead and sent 250 people to area hospitals with heat-related ailments.

Chad Schieber of Midland, Michigan, 35, collapsed while running on the South Side and was pronounced dead shortly before 1 p.m. at a Veteran's Affairs hospital, the Cook County medical examiner's office. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

There was another running death Sunday in Arlington, Virginia. An unidentified runner from Virginia died during the Army Ten-Miler, collapsing near the finish at the Pentagon. The race started in 70-degree heat and high humidity.

The Chicago race was run in record temperatures, topping the mark of 84 degrees in 1979. VideoWatch runners take on the race in record heat »

Kenya's Patrick Ivuti leaned at the finish line to edge Jaouad Gharib of Morocco by 0.05 seconds, making him the fifth straight Kenyan to win the race.

Runners were diverted to the starting area, where they were provided with medical attention and cooling misters. Shortages of water and energy drinks were reported along the 26.2-mile route.

"We're seeing a lot of our participants slowing," race director Carey Pinkowski said. "It was a contingency plan we had in place and we decided to implement as a precautionary measure."

At first, organizers hoped those who passed the halfway mark could complete the run. But eventually even those recreational runners were told to turn back.

Still, some runners persevered, although organizers said they didn't know how many completed the course.

Helicopters hovered over the race course while police officers shouted through a bullhorn and warned runners to slow down and walk.

Almost 10,000 of the 45,000 registered runners chose to not race in the heat despite more mist stations, cooling buses and water-soaked sponges.

Ivuti, competing in only his second major marathon, was timed in 2 hours, 11 minutes, 11 seconds in the closest finish in the race's history.

"I had never seen a marathon finish up close that was like that," head referee Pat Savage said. "This was really close, but at the same time you could see that one man was ahead of the other."

Ethiopia's Berhane Adere rallied to successfully defend her women's title. Adere was timed in 2:33:49 after passing a surprised Adriana Pirtea, who had a comfortable 30-second lead after 24.8 miles.

Ivuti and Gharib surged ahead of defending champion Robert Cheruiyot and Daniel Njenga at the 22-mile mark to make it a two-man race. Gharib led for much of the final four miles before Ivuti made a push on the final mile.

"One thing I had in my mind was that everybody is going to face the same heat," Ivuti said. "I had no problem with that because everybody was going through the same thing as me."

The duo traded leads on the stretch run down Columbus Avenue before Ivuti's final push at the line. The race was so close that it took organizers several minutes to determine the winner.

Njenga finished third and Cheruiyot fourth. Cheruiyot was in position to contend but stomach cramps forced him to drop back after 22 miles. Cheruiyot, who last year slipped on the finish line and banged his head on the pavement as he raised his hands to celebrate, finished in 2:16:13.

Pirtea waved to the crowd as she listlessly approached the finish line. But a final push on the last mile by Adere caught the Romanian in the final stretch.

"At 40 (kilometers), I could see she was going slowly," Adere said. "I knew if I started working from that point on, there was a possibility to catch her."

Pirtea tried to sprint toward the finish line, but finished three seconds behind.

"I had tears," Pirtea said.

American Kate O'Neill finished third and Liz Yelling was fourth.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/07/chicago.marathon.ap/index.html

Pheeny

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2007, 09:04:48 pm »
as a few on here know I've run a few mararthons,but I've had back problems and have taken up cycling.Today I ran a 5k, started off well but after 4k's my calf went and I had to walk for a while.Bonus was my back was OK so I'm thinking of taking up running again,although in combination with the cycling.

PS I did no training for the run and it was a last min decision also did not warm up hence the calf problem...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 09:07:24 pm by Pheeny »

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2007, 10:23:33 am »
ALright guys. Good to see some of you are getting back into training!!

Since I last posted in this thread - 2006!! My runing has kept improving. I ran London in 2:37 in April of this year which gets mean into the elite race in 2008!! Since then its not gone as well, training is very good but racing ive been off the boil..hopefully Im in for a good couple of months!!

Keep it going everyone!!

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2007, 10:29:23 am »

Since I last posted in this thread - 2006!! My runing has kept improving. I ran London in 2:37 in April of this year which gets mean into the elite race in 2008!! Since then its not gone as well, training is very good but racing ive been off the boil..hopefully Im in for a good couple of months!!

Keep it going everyone!!

2:37!  Well done mate, that's really good.  I dream of 2:37!  Mind you, I dream of being able to cover 26 miles nowadays.  I ran consecutive Londons in 2:46, 2:36 and 2:26 when I was at my best but an horrendous bad spell of injuries and a horrible lingering illness (recurrent sinusitis) has hampered my training lately.  I can cycle for 40 or 50 consecutive days with no ill-effects but trying to do more than one week's running causes me weeks off with bad achilles tendons and aching and torn calf muscles.  It's a bit of a bugger alright. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Pheeny

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2007, 11:31:48 am »
2:37 bloody hell thats almost an hour faster than my PB :D

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2007, 11:56:31 am »
Some bloody good runners here.  I'm on a PB of 3.09 - still hoping to crack 3.00 once before terminal decline sets in.

Pheeny

« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2007, 11:58:33 am »
Some bloody good runners here.  I'm on a PB of 3.09 - still hoping to crack 3.00 once before terminal decline sets in.
I said that about 3 :30 and did it at the first attempt :P

Offline HIF Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:27 pm »
Anyone got any advice or even better know of somewhere I could get hold of a sensible training schedule with the specific aim of getting fit enough to run a marathon?  There's the Stockholm marathon at the end of May that I'm thinking of. Maybe I should not be so ambitious and go for a half marathon first and do the full race the next year.

I play quite a lot of footy so I'm reasonably fit but way off marathon fitness levels at the moment.  Ran 10km in 42 minutes when I went out last weekend and really felt it the next day too.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2007, 12:42:56 pm »
What sort of level are you trying to achieve?? Just getting round or actually trying to run it all??

Offline HIF Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2007, 01:10:23 pm »
What sort of level are you trying to achieve?? Just getting round or actually trying to run it all??
Want to run the whole way really. Obviously getting round is the first priority but I'd like to do it without walking too.  Haven't got a specific time in mind really. I'll worry about that when I get onto my second or third marathon!

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2007, 02:45:04 pm »
hal higdon is the man! i followed his 10k plan and ran the whole thing :) ok so yours would be 20 miles more but...
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Pheeny

« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2007, 02:53:01 pm »
hal higdon is the man! i followed his 10k plan and ran the whole thing :) ok so yours would be 20 miles more but...
http://www.halhigdon.com/target/Target.htm

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2007, 04:39:13 pm »
You could do a lot worse than follow the basic Runners World marathon training schedule.

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2007, 04:59:32 pm »
Just started running in the gym about 4 weeks ago.

Play Football and go to the gym regularly (Stepper / Cross Trainer) but have always shyed away from Running as I struggled with Shin Splints and dodgy knees.

However, was getting board of this training and wanted to get into running.  Did a Google search and found myself an 8 week programme to get me into it.  No trouble with shin splints but do get slight dull pain sometimes on the bottom of my left foot!

Am about half way through it, the programme builds up your time slowly.  This morning was 3 x 8 mintues running with 3 x 2 minutes walking break.  Covered just over 5km with my walm up walk.

Am actually enjoying it.  I guess pounding the treadmill isn't the same as outdoor running, but it's a start for me and hopefully within 3 weeks I should be up to a constant half hour running!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline HIF Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2007, 06:51:55 pm »
Looking at the Runners World ones now.  Think I'll probably do a half marathon first and see how that goes.

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2007, 07:45:04 pm »
Anyone on here do Dublin on Monday? 

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 1, 2007, 12:47:34 pm »

Keep it going everyone!!

2:37? That's huge! Nice one :thumbup

Really missed not doing a marathon this year, having done one a year for the past three years. If I can stay fit I'm thinking of doing a Spring and Autumn slog next year, any tips for the latter (I've done NY and Chicago)?

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #111 on: November 1, 2007, 02:22:24 pm »
I'm training for the Miami marathon at the end of January.   I'm a little nervous about training through a winter in NY and then going down to the heat and humidity of Florida.

New York marathon is this weekend.  Any Reds running?  I ran the past 2 years, but not this year

Really missed not doing a marathon this year, having done one a year for the past three years. If I can stay fit I'm thinking of doing a Spring and Autumn slog next year, any tips for the latter (I've done NY and Chicago)?

Are you looking to do another in the states?

I've heard great things about the San Diego Rock N'Roll marathon in June.  One of the guys I run with ran it a couple years ago and loved it.  Great destination for a vacation and a well run marathon

I ran the Detroit marathon 4 years ago.  It's in Oct.  Not a great vacation destination, but it has two hooks that make it different.  One, you run about 6-7 miles in Windsor Canada.  Two, you take the tunnel back under the river from Windsor to Detroit.  They claim it is the only marathon run in two countries and it's the only underwater mile.  It was a well run operation and it was fun running past the border posts. (They check your passport when you pick up your race number)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 1, 2007, 02:52:03 pm »
Detroit sounds cool, like the sound of the tunnel section! I've seen San Diego advertised at both the NY and Chicago expos, June might be a bit early though. Depends on how winter training goes (can I run AND eat a tin of Roses at Christmas? :))

Good luck with Miami. I was due to run the half in 2006, but got a hip injury. My mate still did the half and enjoyed it, said it was a pretty fast course. There's a Hooter's near the finish too, they love marathon medals!
« Last Edit: November 1, 2007, 02:53:52 pm by Ben_JP »

Pheeny

« Reply #113 on: November 1, 2007, 02:57:46 pm »
They claim it is the only marathon run in two countries and it's the only underwater mile.  It was a well run operation and it was fun running past the border posts. (They check your passport when you pick up your race number)
certainly is not the only one thats run in two countries.The Maas Marathon is run from Vise in Belgium through to Maastricht in Holland and then back to Vise all along the Maas river.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 1, 2007, 03:45:06 pm »
This thread is full of certified crazy people.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Pheeny

« Reply #115 on: November 3, 2007, 03:36:22 pm »
how the mighty have fallen. I have a 10k Pb of 39m50s but after over a years lay off I have just managed 6 1/2k in 42Min's.Still at least my back seems OK

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 3, 2007, 04:41:20 pm »
how the mighty have fallen. I have a 10k Pb of 39m50s but after over a years lay off I have just managed 6 1/2k in 42Min's.Still at least my back seems OK

It is a downer not being able to push as hard as you'd like to, but the consolation is you are running again. All the best with your fitness, Pheeny, onwards and upwards!

Pheeny

« Reply #117 on: November 3, 2007, 08:48:59 pm »
It is a downer not being able to push as hard as you'd like to, but the consolation is you are running again. All the best with your fitness, Pheeny, onwards and upwards!
cheers.Fitness is not the problem as I'm cycling on average 200 miles a week just want to get some running in as I want to do a couple of Dulathons next year.

Pheeny

« Reply #118 on: November 3, 2007, 09:10:48 pm »

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 3, 2007, 10:38:27 pm »
cheers.Fitness is not the problem as I'm cycling on average 200 miles a week just want to get some running in as I want to do a couple of Dulathons next year.

I should have added running fitness, I've seen your expertise in the cycling thread! ;)

There was a Duathlon in Richmond Park over the summer, I was tempted but they wanted £50 to enter. Hope you find some cheaper ones round your way!

Sad news about Ryan Shay, hopefully tomorrow's NY event will provide a fitting tribute.