Author Topic: Champions League Quarter Finals.  (Read 80386 times)

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
Re: Champions League Quarter Finals.
« Reply #1840 on: April 13, 2022, 11:27:53 pm »
Its a pen, soft but that's the game now, especially in Europe and slowly creeping into the Premier League

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1841 on: April 13, 2022, 11:28:11 pm »
Simeone is such a fucking arse.

But we knew that.
And after being so amused by his antics when they played us, it appears Mcmanaman is no longer so much of a fan.
Why not just call him out for being a prick at the time Steve instead of making him out to be some kind of lovable eccentric?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1842 on: April 13, 2022, 11:32:44 pm »
Didn't Ancelotti and Real Madrid dick Pep's Bayern a while ago?

It's an ageing Real side and they've rode their luck but been ruthless in front of goal.

Hopefully Pep over thinks it but I don't see Real coping with their midfield.

Well, apart from Benzema and Modric, the others are really not that old ...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/real-madrid/leistungsdaten/verein/418/plus/0?reldata=%262021

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: April 14, 2022, 12:06:02 am »
Or good refereeing

Yeah, that wasn’t a pen. Dived after he lost control. 

Edit: I’ve only seen that clip, not any other angles.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 12:08:48 am by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1844 on: April 14, 2022, 02:37:08 am »
So 1-0 aggregate.

Ours was 5-2 aggregate v AM.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1845 on: April 14, 2022, 05:08:15 am »
Not even sure there was any contact at alll.

cancelo (second city guy to have a go) clearly kicks his right foot, it really isn't hard to see

soft? yeah that is for me and they get given in our league every day of the week, the rule in recent years in general seems to be if you kick out to get the ball but kick the man instead they give it, the hardness of the kick is deemed usually irrelevant - whether that's how i'd like the rules to read is another issue

so im surprised they didn't give it via VAR
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1846 on: April 14, 2022, 05:16:05 am »
cancelo (second city guy to have a go) clearly kicks his right foot, it really isn't hard to see

soft? yeah that is for me and they get given in our league every day of the week, the rule in recent years in general seems to be if you kick out to get the ball but kick the man instead they give it, the hardness of the kick is deemed usually irrelevant - whether that's how i'd like the rules to read is another issue

so im surprised they didn't give it via VAR
I'm not sure how relevant this is to the ref's or the VAR decision, but play continued after Correa's fall, and Atletico had a decent scoring chance, which you don't see from just a replay of the trip incident. I guess the ref thought something like, "Could be a pen, but a bit soft, not much in it, they've still got the ball, play on."

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1847 on: April 14, 2022, 06:58:14 am »
Atletico penalty shout on 76' - https://streamja.com/dr9RK

Jesus Christ. That's grade A bent refereeing.

That's never a pen.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1848 on: April 14, 2022, 07:30:56 am »
Foden got took out, but the little toad did a few rolls to get back on the pitch to timewaste. Enjoyed Savic hauling him off it. Then when no one was paying attention, a city player dragged Foden back onto the pitch.

Commentators need to shut up moaning about 'disgraceful scenes'. That's what I was watching for. Love a good boot off.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:33:27 am by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1849 on: April 14, 2022, 09:26:04 am »
If your whole mindset is defensive, shithouse football (even when you've got players like Greizmann, Felix, Lemar, Suarez, Carrasco etc) then you best go through, because you really do look like an absolute joke club if it leads to scoring no goals over two legs.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 09:28:55 am by El Lobo »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1850 on: April 14, 2022, 10:11:14 am »
Atletico penalty shout on 76' - https://streamja.com/dr9RK

Jesus Christ. That's grade A bent refereeing.

Thanks for showing that. It's very clear what happened. The defender got the ball (though it skidded off the outside of his boot) and the player dived after he realised he couldn't catch the ball.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1851 on: April 14, 2022, 10:24:42 am »
Its a pen, soft but that's the game now, especially in Europe and slowly creeping into the Premier League

Yeah, that's my opinion too.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1852 on: April 14, 2022, 01:38:00 pm »
all footie fans bitch about "the standard of refereeing".

reading all the posts about that pen / no pen -- "nailed on" vs "no way".

it really isn't as easy as we all think, is it.  and it will always be subjective and controversial.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1853 on: April 14, 2022, 01:48:00 pm »
It does feel weird to say, given how far ahead Real are in the La Liga, but I think Athleti was the far far better chance of getting rid of City before the final. Love to be proved wrong though.

I'm just not sure that Real have the defensive set up to keep City out, and the worst case scenario is that they fly out of the blocks at Real in the first half of the first leg (like they did against us last weekend) and the contest is over after the first leg.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1854 on: April 14, 2022, 01:50:47 pm »
It does feel weird to say, given how far ahead Real are in the La Liga, but I think Athleti was the far far better chance of getting rid of City before the final. Love to be proved wrong though.

I'm just not sure that Real have the defensive set up to keep City out, and the worst case scenario is that they fly out of the blocks at Real in the first half of the first leg (like they did against us last weekend) and the contest is over after the first leg.
if RM play like they did for most of the Chelsea game, City will set a new CL scoring record.

Offline Haaaank

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1855 on: April 14, 2022, 01:52:52 pm »
all footie fans bitch about "the standard of refereeing".

reading all the posts about that pen / no pen -- "nailed on" vs "no way".

it really isn't as easy as we all think, is it.  and it will always be subjective and controversial.
Spot on, and therein lies the biggest problem with VAR (apart from the blatant cheating), its subjective and its one (or two) person(s) opinions based on the laws of the game. I have had numerous conversations over the last few months with friends discussing decisions where we just cant agree if the ref was right or wrong. Its always going to be subjective and there will always be arguments over whether x decision was correct or not. The cheats can hide behind this subjectivity as well.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #1856 on: April 14, 2022, 01:57:39 pm »

Shame City play Tuesday-Wednesday and we Wednesday-Tuesday. Their Leeds away game would have been much trickier if it was the other way around, especially with Real being able to rest players in their league game.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1857 on: April 14, 2022, 01:58:08 pm »
if RM play like they did for most of the Chelsea game, City will set a new CL scoring record.

Yep, agreed.

I think their only hope is that City do fly out of the blocks, in an attempt to kill the tie off early, and somehow punch themselves out and miss the inevitable opportunities that they create, then allowing Madrid to find their way into the game and maybe grab a draw. Then, try and score and early goal at home and hang on for dear life. Like ourselves in the league, their window for success is very narrow IMO.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1858 on: April 14, 2022, 01:58:57 pm »
Like most on here I'd have to fancy City to qualify for the final, but it'd be far from a shock to me if Madrid did win. City being at home first leg probably benefits them as I'd expect them to win at the Etihad and only need a draw to go through in the second leg, possibly even a narrow defeat if they're comfy at home. If Madrid can draw in Manchester I'd make them favourites to go through in the Bernabeu given their incredible ability to rise to the occasion in this competition (and benefit from incredibly bent decision making by referees  ;D)

They have to get under City's skin a bit, especially in Spain. Atmosphere in that one will be key, it sounded proper hostile the other night when Chelsea were leading, but as soon as Madrid got back into it it was very good. Madrid didn't look the same last year even though they got to the semis, I think if Covid wasn't a factor and they played that Chelsea team in full stadiums they'd have knocked them out. It's not the most intimidating ground in the world but there can still be a bit of noise.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1859 on: April 14, 2022, 02:03:13 pm »
I'm 99% up to here with the sight and thought of City right now.

at the risk of counting chickens (Villareal) -- it makes my stomach churn thinking they're the biggest obstacle in the way of us getting more silverware this year, and if they do stop us that means they will almost certainly get trophies themselves.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1860 on: April 14, 2022, 02:03:22 pm »
Vinicius could run through treacle, haven't seen someone who so regularly beats his man as him. Up against any of Citys full backs, he's got a chance. Think he'd be the key
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1861 on: April 14, 2022, 02:10:04 pm »
Vinicius could run through treacle, haven't seen someone who so regularly beats his man as him. Up against any of Citys full backs, he's got a chance. Think he'd be the key

Yeah, think it depends on how quickly Madrid can get the ball to Vinicius and then to Benzema. Luckily Benzema's scoring with practically every shot he takes so they might not need many chances. Pep might overthink things and disrupt the team with his tinkering which tends to happen at this stage of the competition with some frequency.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1862 on: April 14, 2022, 02:20:18 pm »
Shame City play Tuesday-Wednesday and we Wednesday-Tuesday. Their Leeds away game would have been much trickier if it was the other way around, especially with Real being able to rest players in their league game.

Yeah, it feels like the schedule just keeps going against us doesn't it. I keep going on about it ad nauseum but i just cannot understand how our game against Utd has to be on Tuesday rather than Wednesday, given that we aren't playing Everton until Sunday!!!??? it would even the whole thing out.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: April 14, 2022, 02:34:39 pm »

He won’t get much change out of Walker, but feel as if he can catch him out with one or two well timed runs like he had against Chelsea.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1864 on: April 14, 2022, 03:10:43 pm »
Like most on here I'd have to fancy City to qualify for the final, but it'd be far from a shock to me if Madrid did win. City being at home first leg probably benefits them as I'd expect them to win at the Etihad and only need a draw to go through in the second leg, possibly even a narrow defeat if they're comfy at home. If Madrid can draw in Manchester I'd make them favourites to go through in the Bernabeu given their incredible ability to rise to the occasion in this competition (and benefit from incredibly bent decision making by referees  ;D)

They have to get under City's skin a bit, especially in Spain. Atmosphere in that one will be key, it sounded proper hostile the other night when Chelsea were leading, but as soon as Madrid got back into it it was very good. Madrid didn't look the same last year even though they got to the semis, I think if Covid wasn't a factor and they played that Chelsea team in full stadiums they'd have knocked them out. It's not the most intimidating ground in the world but there can still be a bit of noise.

i'm the first to say no game is a gimmie and RM are a proper european giant but i'd be fucking stunned if city dont batter them, i expect it to be over in the first leg

Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: April 14, 2022, 04:32:24 pm »
Yeah, think it depends on how quickly Madrid can get the ball to Vinicius and then to Benzema. Luckily Benzema's scoring with practically every shot he takes so they might not need many chances. Pep might overthink things and disrupt the team with his tinkering which tends to happen at this stage of the competition with some frequency.

It's in someways analogous to Kane and Son and what they did to City.  Spurs weren't amazing defensively at the Etihad, didn't have a lot of possession, and didn't create all that much, but Kane and Son (and Kulusevski) combined very well on the break, and they were very clinical with the handful of openings they did create.  If Real try to go toe to toe with City, they could struggle a lot, but at the same time, even if they concede an early goal or two, they have the clinical finishing to get back into the tie.  That being said, if they're really open at the back like they were against Chelsea, they'll eventually give themselves too much to do over 180 minutes.
King Kenny.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1866 on: April 14, 2022, 05:47:33 pm »
i'm the first to say no game is a gimmie and RM are a proper european giant but i'd be fucking stunned if city dont batter them, i expect it to be over in the first leg

Personally I think regardless of the winner it'll end quite tight, maybe a goal or two in it, I can't see either getting battered.

I was surprised when Madrid went to Paris and sat back for 90 minutes, especially when you consider PSG are probably the most mentally weak side to ever play regularly in the Champions League knockouts. I think for most part they're going to have to soak up the pressure again and may not even see a 1-0 defeat as a bad result. They'll have grown in confidence again though since then, especially after going to Chelsea and winning comfortably (despite nearly throwing it away) - I think both teams probably benefit from the order in the games, as City will fancy themselves to take a lead away from home, but Madrid will also fancy themselves at home even if they do narrowly get beat in the first leg.

Ultimately I think most will be surprised if Madrid go through. I certainly don't expect them to but as I said it wouldn't really shock me. I was convinced City would beat Chelsea in the final last season, it looked nailed on because they weren't ending the season in fine form, they lost the FA Cup final remember and a couple of league games, City had battered them at Stamford Bridge a few months prior too. They're far from unbeatable and if I was to think of sides who could grind something out against them one of the most likely would always be Real Madrid.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:50:00 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1867 on: April 15, 2022, 01:38:34 am »
Personally I think regardless of the winner it'll end quite tight, maybe a goal or two in it, I can't see either getting battered.

I was surprised when Madrid went to Paris and sat back for 90 minutes, especially when you consider PSG are probably the most mentally weak side to ever play regularly in the Champions League knockouts. I think for most part they're going to have to soak up the pressure again and may not even see a 1-0 defeat as a bad result. They'll have grown in confidence again though since then, especially after going to Chelsea and winning comfortably (despite nearly throwing it away) - I think both teams probably benefit from the order in the games, as City will fancy themselves to take a lead away from home, but Madrid will also fancy themselves at home even if they do narrowly get beat in the first leg.

Ultimately I think most will be surprised if Madrid go through. I certainly don't expect them to but as I said it wouldn't really shock me. I was convinced City would beat Chelsea in the final last season, it looked nailed on because they weren't ending the season in fine form, they lost the FA Cup final remember and a couple of league games, City had battered them at Stamford Bridge a few months prior too. They're far from unbeatable and if I was to think of sides who could grind something out against them one of the most likely would always be Real Madrid.

funnily enough on that, i was saying city would win it from the moment we knew the final players but when they read the teamsheet on tv before the kickoff i turned to my missus and said 'wtf, he's done it again, city have lost this', quite possibly the dumbest tinkering he's ever done, it's certainly the dumbest tinkering i've seen him do esp considering the gravity of the game

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1868 on: April 15, 2022, 09:39:27 am »
Locked for the day
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1869 on: April 16, 2022, 07:28:42 am »
He won’t get much change out of Walker, but feel as if he can catch him out with one or two well timed runs like he had against Chelsea.
Kyle Walker is shite and it’s embarrassing that he plays alongside some of the players he does. He’s fast and brain dead. He’s like a roadrunner with a traumatic head injury.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1870 on: April 16, 2022, 07:29:56 am »
Kyle Walker is shite and it’s embarrassing that he plays alongside some of the players he does. He’s fast and brain dead. He’s like a roadrunner with a traumatic head injury.
Come on drinks, don't be coy about him. What do you REALLY think of Kyle?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1871 on: April 16, 2022, 07:40:14 am »
Come on drinks, don't be coy about him. What do you REALLY think of Kyle?
;D
I wouldn’t be so harsh but I can’t stand players whose arrogance far, far exceeds their ability and he’s one of the worst for it.

And he’s actually shit.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1872 on: April 16, 2022, 10:53:21 pm »
@PhilKitro.
Gerard Moreno limps off Villarreal's game against Getafe tonight after a super performance...11 days before their Champions League semi final with Liverpool. Looked like a muscle problem, worrying...
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1873 on: April 18, 2022, 02:54:09 pm »
Gerard Moreno could be a doubt for Villarreal's Champions League semi-final against Liverpool after suffering a hamstring injury.

The striker left the pitch after 61 minutes of Villarreal's 2-1 win over Getafe at the weekend, having scored the opening goal in Madrid. Manager Unai Emery said: “It’s a muscle injury, let’s see how serious it is. We have to try to continue with patience so that he recovers.”

Villarreal have now released a statement. It read: “Gerard Moreno has a severe hamstring strain. His recovery time depends on how he responds to treatment.”

https://theathletic.com/news/gerard-moreno-suffers-hamstring-injury-ahead-of-villarreal-facing-liverpool-in-champions-league/leIRch4O60bt/
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."