Author Topic: Boys from the Blackstuff  (Read 587 times)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Boys from the Blackstuff
« on: July 6, 2022, 08:15:44 pm »
One of the greatest ever series and it’s being shown from tonight on bbc four from ten o’clock , not seen it bar odd clips for many years , think it’s a must watch for many reasons especially seeing how Liverpool it was itself as a city in the early 80s and considering the harsh economic times all parts of the country are going through at the moment …it’s a must watch if you’ve never seen it before

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: Boys from the Blackstuff
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2022, 08:23:47 pm »
Alan Bleasdale’s finest.
A must watch and even though I have watched it countless times, it never fails to move me in every way.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2022, 08:29:24 pm »
Alan Bleasdale’s finest.
A must watch and even though I have watched it countless times, it never fails to move me in every way.
. It would be good if they showed the original black stuff play beforehand , you can relate to the characters more having seen them before the desperation and how they ended up in that position , yosser Hughes himself was well on his way to a middle class life with dreams of having his own company .

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2022, 08:53:18 pm »
One of the greatest TV series of all time. It doesn't get as many mentions as some of the other episodes but George's Last Ride is a perfect record of a time and place.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2022, 08:56:19 pm »
Being made into a play at the Royal Court next year, I’m sure I read yesterday.
AHA!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2022, 09:33:40 pm »
Stunningly brilliant....and captured the times...yup contender for best TV drama series ever.

When Chrissy finds the money down the back of the couch and understandably blows it on himself shows real life...Julie Walters a tour de force moment...must grab a DVD and show me lad....
« Last Edit: July 6, 2022, 09:40:58 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2022, 09:35:16 pm »
Thanks to this show I grew up thinking Bernard Hill was scouse. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2022, 09:40:29 pm »
Stunningly brilliant....and captured the times...yup contender for bedt TV drama series ever.

When Chrissy finds the money down the back of the couch and understandably blows it on himself shows real life...Julie Walters a tour de force moment...must grab a DVD and show me lad....

Bought!..told me lad to be prepared for me crying ..but he knows Im a soft shite and cry at Pixar films etc...

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2022, 09:47:08 pm »
Meant so fucking much when it came out...telling our story in our voice.

Knocking on Bleasdale now 76..bless him.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2022, 10:14:08 pm »
One of the greatest TV series of all time. It doesn't get as many mentions as some of the other episodes but George's Last Ride is a perfect record of a time and place.
  So poignant, my favourite episode. Around about 2000's, My wife's uncle who was a seaman asked me to take him to town to go to his building society, he'd just come out of hospital after an acute episode of leukaemia. We talked about the days when everyone went to sea, we were involved in an industrial dispute in the fire brigade, we talked about that and the days when those disputes were common and he asked me to take him around the Docks, I joked with him, it was like George's last ride a reference we all knew then two days later he died, it was if he knew.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 6, 2022, 10:32:50 pm »
  So poignant, my favourite episode. Around about 2000's, My wife's uncle who was a seaman asked me to take him to town to go to his building society, he'd just come out of hospital after an acute episode of leukaemia. We talked about the days when everyone went to sea, we were involved in an industrial dispute in the fire brigade, we talked about that and the days when those disputes were common and he asked me to take him around the Docks, I joked with him, it was like George's last ride a reference we all knew then two days later he died, it was if he knew.

Lovely post that

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2022, 10:48:52 pm »
Is it Chrissy that kills his pet geese for food?

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: July 7, 2022, 03:46:28 pm »
Loved this when it was on the time .

I'd only recently left school and was on the dole ( which lasted a few years !).

Although it had scenes of great humour , it was still fucking grim . Don't know if I could sit through the series again - just brings back memories of a horribly dark period to go through when it seemed like hope didn't exist .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 7, 2022, 04:13:24 pm »
That first episode last night that was shown , the royal hospital looked awful and yet it was only 4 years old when that scen was filmed