Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 571021 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Curtis Jones - no issues with self confidence
« Reply #120 on: January 5, 2020, 07:55:05 pm »
My worry is his patience.

After his interview I can smell the German clubs wanting to sign him already.

Needs to stay grounded. Lucky Lallana was on hand to help him do that in the interview.

Jadon Sancho's the worst thing that's happened in a way for the best young players in England because if they're not getting the game time they think they can just walk into a top German side. Bobby Duncan is the more typical example for teenagers moving abroad.

There is a spot there for him in midfield, especially if Lallana goes and we don't buy a replacement.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #121 on: January 5, 2020, 08:01:20 pm »
Jadon Sancho's the worst thing that's happened in a way for the best young players in England because if they're not getting the game time they think they can just walk into a top German side. Bobby Duncan is the more typical example for teenagers moving abroad.

There is a spot there for him in midfield, especially if Lallana goes and we don't buy a replacement.

Duncan really screwed up though didn't he? If he was willing to stay and apply himself, he'd have easily played atleast a couple of full games for the senior team by now. That's a good cautionary tale to have.
For Jones, I think Klopp will tell him that we wont buy Lallana's replacement and that spot is his if he can claim it.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: January 5, 2020, 08:06:43 pm »
Jones is a scouser he aint going anywhere don't worry.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #123 on: January 5, 2020, 08:10:06 pm »
Scored more Derby winners than Wayne Rooney this kid.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 5, 2020, 08:18:47 pm »
Duncan really screwed up though didn't he? If he was willing to stay and apply himself, he'd have easily played atleast a couple of full games for the senior team by now. That's a good cautionary tale to have.
For Jones, I think Klopp will tell him that we wont buy Lallana's replacement and that spot is his if he can claim it.

Duncan wanted first team football which he might have got in League One or a Belgian team or something like that, but not in Serie A at 18, it's not like he's Michael Owen. He knew Brewster was ahread of him and Brewster's hardly had a look in himself. As it turned out Duncan would have played 2 or 3 first team games this season but it's not enough for him. It's not enough for Jones either (the same age as Duncan) but Jones will be developing a lot more as a player by training with the best team in the world and getting some first team games, than playing more regularly for some middling team.

It's a bit like Foden at City. Foden is starting to play more regularly now after getting a game here and there last season at 18. By being around the first team last season though he knew what was required.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2020, 08:23:01 pm by Fromola »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #125 on: January 5, 2020, 08:19:55 pm »
A fabulous taken goal today by Curtis, he is such a talent he just needs to stay patient and I'm sure more opportunities will come his way.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 5, 2020, 08:23:48 pm »
It's not enough for Jones either (the same age as Duncan).

I did like the way Lallana reminded him that he's currently playing for the best side in the world though. Might as well have added "Keep your feet on the ground, young man."

And that kind of comment is possibly worth even more coming from Lallana - someone who knows very well about being patient and waiting for your opportunity.

So pleasing that Jones has that level of self-belief though. It really showed in the way he played tonight, not just the goal.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 5, 2020, 08:26:59 pm »
I did like the way Lallana reminded him that he's currently playing for the best side in the world though. Might as well have added "Keep your feet on the ground, young man."

And that kind of comment is possibly worth even more coming from Lallana - someone who knows very well about being patient and waiting for your opportunity.

So pleasing that Jones has that level of self-belief though. It really showed in the way he played tonight, not just the goal.

It's a great dressing room to go into as a young player because it's full of leaders but also real professionals who'll keep your feet on the ground.

When we had loads coming through in the 90s they had the likes of Razor Ruddock as a role model and a spice boy culture.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #128 on: January 5, 2020, 08:27:59 pm »
Bit of the Ronnie Whelan 83 League Cup final about that. Super goal

Aye good comparison that..Curtis won't ever get sick of telling stories about that goal & that game.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 5, 2020, 08:33:05 pm »
When we had loads coming through in the 90s they had the likes of Razor Ruddock as a role model and a spice boy culture.

Don't really like to be reminded of that, thanks!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 5, 2020, 08:53:59 pm »
motm irrespective of his wonder-strike, magnificent footballer. The lad is ready to fill in anytime if needed now, meaning we have a filth of riches of midfield talent at our football club.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #131 on: January 5, 2020, 08:57:28 pm »
One hell of a talent this lad. Dont think he put a foot wrong all game.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 5, 2020, 09:01:09 pm »
What?

It may not be good for us, but top German teams wanting to give first team game time for young english players can be the best thing that's happened to the best young players in England in like, ever.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 5, 2020, 09:12:29 pm »

On the contrary I think it's great for young players that top European clubs take an interest in them.

Fabulous strike from Jones today, I actually thought he'd had a quiet game until then. May get a chance or two off the bench in the coming weeks with the injuries in midfield.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 5, 2020, 09:27:06 pm »
With Shaqiri going in the summer, he takes that spot in the squad for me. Should probably play a greater role in the second half of this season too. Never seems to disappoint whenever he's given a chance.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 5, 2020, 09:29:45 pm »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #136 on: January 5, 2020, 09:36:30 pm »
Excellent all round game, brilliant goal , hopefully first of many.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 5, 2020, 10:00:23 pm »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 5, 2020, 10:11:23 pm »
I hereby dub him

Cujo
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 5, 2020, 10:11:32 pm »
If he can get a decent loan for the rest of this season (maybe at teh end of january) that wouldn't be a bad thing - and next season he's in the squad.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 5, 2020, 10:13:10 pm »
If he can get a decent loan for the rest of this season (maybe at teh end of january) that wouldn't be a bad thing - and next season he's in the squad.

We're thin at CM, maybe give him a few games?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 5, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »
With Shaqiri going in the summer, he takes that spot in the squad for me. Should probably play a greater role in the second half of this season too. Never seems to disappoint whenever he's given a chance.

News to me that... where? He has a contract for at least 2 years.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 5, 2020, 10:47:44 pm »
Never looks out of place. Immense touch and control and timing and the finish of dreams.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 5, 2020, 11:03:47 pm »
Bags of talent but you do wonder how he's going to get anywhere near enough gametime to develop it...

Not a bad problem to have from the club's perspective of course!

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #145 on: January 5, 2020, 11:10:54 pm »
Bags of talent but you do wonder how he's going to get anywhere near enough gametime to develop it...

Not a bad problem to have from the club's perspective of course!

Better not go on Loan fuck that He’s too good.

He’s good enough for the squad

If you’re good enough your old enough
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 5, 2020, 11:12:19 pm »
Love his confidence defeintly a world class talent in the making. Great to have another great Scouse talent on our hands

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: January 5, 2020, 11:21:02 pm »

He’s in the squad, it’s the lack of presence in the all important match day squad that’s the issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 5, 2020, 11:28:06 pm »

Oh don't get me wrong I think he's plenty good enough to be a part of the squad. Just don't see where he gets gametime from? He's up against Wijnaldum, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, Milner and Lallana who are all competing for two spots in our midfield. Even if Lallana leaves at the end of the season, he'll be lucky to make the bench in 90% of our games. He'll get games in the early rounds of the cups and that's probably it. Which makes you wonder if that is a) enough for his ongoing development and b) enough for his ambition (considering he said tonight he's been frustrated and "having a bad time" not getting more of a chance).

Tough one for Klopp to manage but that's why he's paid the big bucks!

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 5, 2020, 11:34:53 pm »
Will be grateful to anyone who can dig up an old post of mine about Jones and POP had a pop at me for my appraisal of him.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #150 on: January 6, 2020, 12:00:41 am »
Think he gets Lallana’s place in the squad next season

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 6, 2020, 12:03:44 am »
Oh don't get me wrong I think he's plenty good enough to be a part of the squad. Just don't see where he gets gametime from? He's up against Wijnaldum, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, Milner and Lallana who are all competing for two spots in our midfield. Even if Lallana leaves at the end of the season, he'll be lucky to make the bench in 90% of our games. He'll get games in the early rounds of the cups and that's probably it. Which makes you wonder if that is a) enough for his ongoing development and b) enough for his ambition (considering he said tonight he's been frustrated and "having a bad time" not getting more of a chance).

Tough one for Klopp to manage but that's why he's paid the big bucks!

Hendo/Gini will need their rest though if we carry on in every comp this season and next. Ox and Keita are injury prone and unreliable plus Milner is getting on and Lallana might get off so I dont see him miles off being a squad player.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 12:05:15 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: January 6, 2020, 12:05:45 am »
Awesome strike.. A Coutinho strike in fact. Notice how he takes several steps backwards as soon as he hits it. The distribution of his body weight must have been nigh on perfect.

I spotted that mate,an athlete turned into a footballer can’t do that. Sublime technique.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 6, 2020, 12:07:50 am »
Hendo/Gini will need their rest though if we carry on in every comp this season and next. Ox and Keita are injury prone and unreliable and Milner and Lallana are on the wane so I dont see him miles off being a squad player.

Not about you see, it what he sees.

Klopp said he already wants to be in the 1st team. He said he is frustrated.

Lallana reminded him he's at the best team in the world. I am sure Klopp will talk to him and he will be fine but not every player is happy on the bench etc. He might want a lot of game time.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 6, 2020, 01:01:17 am »
Hendo/Gini will need their rest though if we carry on in every comp this season and next. Ox and Keita are injury prone and unreliable plus Milner is getting on and Lallana might get off so I dont see him miles off being a squad player.

Right but even with considerable injuries this season, he's only made the bench in the league 4 times, twice in the CL and twice in the CWC. That's with Shaqiri spending loads of time injured and pre Minamino as well. I mean you take the recent games against Wolves and Sheffield United as an example we didn't have enough senior players to fill the bench - if we did I doubt he'd have been on it. Bearing in mind as well that we haven't had a CB on the bench now for a few games, and we have Fabinho, Ox, Matip, Lovren, and hopefully Shaq all returning from injury soon.

Lallana (who by all accounts we really want to stay) has only played the equivalent of 3 league games this season. Assuming he leaves, we don't replace him, we suffer the same number of injuries and we don't see us experimenting with e.g. Minamino in the midfield 3 rather than forward 3, that's not a huge amount of football for a young lad? It's less than Phil Foden's played and he's regularly cited as an example of a great talent being held back because Pep won't play him more often.

I think he's good enough to stay and be part of the squad but equally I wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on loan, maybe short term, to actually get some senior experience as I don't think he gets all that much more game time next season either.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #155 on: January 6, 2020, 01:06:13 am »
Not about you see, it what he sees.

Klopp said he already wants to be in the 1st team. He said he is frustrated.

Lallana reminded him he's at the best team in the world. I am sure Klopp will talk to him and he will be fine but not every player is happy on the bench etc. He might want a lot of game time.

First off, well done to the lad. That was an unbelievable debut goal. And what an occasion for it!  And a Scouser to boot. He'll go places with this team if he can be patient and show respect to those ahead of him.

And this is the cautionary bit: I was really worried for him during his first post match interview. He might've put himself in the doghouse with Klopp (who absolutely hates it when players complain in public about being "frustrated" by their lack of game time).  Captain Fantastic Lallana steps in and saves him from himself. Just a gentle wee reminder that he's playing for a team that's full of Ballon d`Or nominees. But it shows the thoughtlessness of the Young (and he's still really, really young) that he's voicing those frustrations while standing beside Lallana,  a veteran and super talented two-footed baller who's played no more than bit parts in the squad this season (Nice goal against Man United though, and a bastion of professionalism whenever called upon). If he's not moaning about his frustrations, neither should Curtis, or anyone else for that matter.

As for the Jadon Sancho conundrum, I think the issue is much closer to home. These Academy lads have seen their very own in Alexander-Arnold not just break through to the first team at 18 years old but become world famous almost overnight with the Barcelona corner madness. Am sure they're looking at him and thinking "Why not me too?! ... And soon!!" I believe this is one of several factors which drove Gerrard`s cousin to distraction (Never want to mention his name on here for fear of being accused of bullying him). Trent`s rise was both a source of hope and torture for him. Plus the fact he saw Wilson get a successful loan move to Bournemouth and Gerrard lobbied like mad to get Ryan Kent up to Rangers... Another case of "Why not me too? ... NOW, NOW, NOW!!"

It would do these youngsters well to remember, first, that they are still teenagers and there is plenty of time to make that breakthrough. Klopp has their best interests at heart and knows when is the right time. Today was the perfect time for Curtis. And he thrived and scored the match winner.  Put kids in big games before they're ready and it can be detrimental in the long term. So they must Trust their manager. This is where Gerrard`s cousin's lack of patience got the better of him.

Second, they must remember that breaking into the first team as a midfielder or striker is so hard that even Trent had no chance of doing it. He had to retrain his brain to become a defensive stalwart to even get a chance. And even then he got lucky: his opportunities coincided with Nathaniel`s long-term injury. And he hasn't looked back since. So what's made this work out for him is a combination of hard work, flexibility (that willingness to play wherever Jürgen needed a body) ... and luck too!  Though for Nathaniel it was cold, hard luck, the other side of the coin.

Sorry for the long post. What am trying to say is that when you're Curtis`s age sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture, but I hope he can stay calm and patient and not fall into the trap of wanting what Trent has... right now, or soon. If I could've given the one who went to Italy any advice it would be:  Never compare your journey to anyone else`s because you don't know what they had to go through to get where they are now. Just focus on the here and now. And count your blessings.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2020, 01:13:18 am by Morgana »

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #156 on: January 6, 2020, 01:16:33 am »
Thought Lallana was outstanding in the post-match interview.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #157 on: January 6, 2020, 01:18:18 am »
I hereby dub him

Cujo
Well, after all, he is the dog's...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #158 on: January 6, 2020, 01:20:10 am »
Couple of points. First Curtis played today despite feeling ill, which would explain some of his dodgier moments.

And secondly I doubt he'll be going on loan. Klopp specifically made the point in is post-match presser that he wants these players who are close to stay and train with him, not go off on loan.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 6, 2020, 01:23:07 am »
Curtis Jones: Has Liverpool teen had his 'Rooney moment' with FA Cup wonder goal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51001745