Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 146753 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Playstation 5 (2020)
« on: October 8, 2019, 02:28:17 pm »
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

Release date - Holiday season 2020

Haptic motion feedback in controllers. Goodbye rumble motors

'Adaptive triggers' - games can be programmed to provide resistance when using the L2/R2 triggers so vehicle acceleration and weapon firing will feel more realistic

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2019, 02:30:30 pm »
More controller details

- Uses USB-C
- New Speaker
- Better Battery Life
- Heavier than PS4 controller, but will be lighter than Xbox One controllers

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2019, 02:32:15 pm »
This is the supposed early render but usually these change drastically and could just be the dev kits being sent out to developers

some more final details

- Ray tracing support is hardware based
- New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming
« Last Edit: October 8, 2019, 02:33:57 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2019, 03:19:05 pm »
Looks like a robotic hoover.
AHA!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2019, 04:26:41 pm »
Is it likely that the "proper" versions of The Last of Us 2 and Final Fantasy VII will come out on this at launch day? Isn't that what happened with GTA 5, which released very late in the last generation?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #5 on: October 8, 2019, 04:58:42 pm »
This is the supposed early render but usually these change drastically and could just be the dev kits being sent out to developers

some more final details

- Ray tracing support is hardware based
- New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming

That is 100% fake, it just looks so shit inclusive of the render quality.

Anyway, for me the controller sounds like its going to elevate how the game "feels" which for me is a big deal, especially bits about haptic feel and this bit in particular Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions.

I am excited, have owned a PS since the PSX so I am keen bean.

Is it likely that the "proper" versions of The Last of Us 2 and Final Fantasy VII will come out on this at launch day? Isn't that what happened with GTA 5, which released very late in the last generation?

Rumours I've read is that any digital purchase games will be playable isntantly on the PS5 so if you buy them digitally it won't be an issue whatsoever... but they are just rumours atm.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 8, 2019, 05:35:05 pm »
This has to be the generation where they radically redesign the way not only digital downloads are handled how they are presented.

Microsoft handled digital ownership poorly in the current generation but they have a very decent presentation of their home menu. Finding your games are very easy.

Sony on the other hand have great store which you can use on console, PC or App but a rubbish menu where you can't find what you want.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7 on: October 8, 2019, 08:23:33 pm »
This has to be the generation where they radically redesign the way not only digital downloads are handled how they are presented.

Microsoft handled digital ownership poorly in the current generation but they have a very decent presentation of their home menu. Finding your games are very easy.

Sony on the other hand have great store which you can use on console, PC or App but a rubbish menu where you can't find what you want.
I don’t know what the Xbox menu is like but if it’s anything like the Windows interface then I know I’ll hate it.

The PS4 one leaves a lot to be desired too. I find it works better once you group stuff into folders and delete the things you don’t need though.

In general console menus are really poor. I’m amazed someone hasn’t come up with a simple, attractive and easy to use design yet.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 8, 2019, 10:18:22 pm »
When is "Holiday 2020"

Easter? Summer? Christmas?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: October 8, 2019, 10:22:07 pm »
When is "Holiday 2020"

Easter? Summer? Christmas?

Christmas
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 9, 2019, 02:04:56 pm »
That is 100% fake, it just looks so shit inclusive of the render quality.

Anyway, for me the controller sounds like its going to elevate how the game "feels" which for me is a big deal, especially bits about haptic feel and this bit in particular Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions.

I am excited, have owned a PS since the PSX so I am keen bean.

Rumours I've read is that any digital purchase games will be playable isntantly on the PS5 so if you buy them digitally it won't be an issue whatsoever... but they are just rumours atm.
It isn't. It's real.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-08-looks-like-that-leaked-playstation-5-dev-kit-is-real

It seemed legit to me as soon as I first saw it. Looks weird, but it also looks like a wifi hub, and if the rumours are true about the PSVR2, it'll be using some kind of low latency technology to stream to a wireless headset. Sony did confirm that PS5 will have VR technology built into the console itself, so it all adds up. Even the controllers sound like they are focusing on what is needed for more immersive VR with the pressure sensitive haptics. The console won't look like that, though.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: October 9, 2019, 06:10:47 pm »
Anyone able to hazard a guess at the release price? I bought a PS4 on release day in 2013 but I can't remember the price, at a guess I'd say it was £350 & that included the 500gb base console, 1 controller & Battlefield 4.

I'd guess anywhere from £300-£400 but just interested to hear other peoples views. As soon as Christmas is out the way with I'm going to start saving up for one.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #12 on: October 9, 2019, 06:49:29 pm »
It isn't. It's real.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-08-looks-like-that-leaked-playstation-5-dev-kit-is-real

It seemed legit to me as soon as I first saw it. Looks weird, but it also looks like a wifi hub, and if the rumours are true about the PSVR2, it'll be using some kind of low latency technology to stream to a wireless headset. Sony did confirm that PS5 will have VR technology built into the console itself, so it all adds up. Even the controllers sound like they are focusing on what is needed for more immersive VR with the pressure sensitive haptics. The console won't look like that, though.

I don't think that's viable but maybe I'm wrong.

The console itself is likely to pack around £500 worth of hardware and be priced accordingly. High frequency low latency technology isn't exactly cheap and to include that in the console doesn't seem right unless Sony are want to repeat PS3 losses. The current wireless adapters for VR are priced in the £300-500 region, though admittedly this is already old tech and 5G alone seems to meet VR demands (in theory).

Be made up if they do though, wires are my barrier to VR. So much so I've been flirting with the Oculus Quest.
:D

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2019, 07:01:45 pm »
Anyone able to hazard a guess at the release price?
I'd guess anywhere from £300-£400 but just interested to hear other peoples views. As soon as Christmas is out the way with I'm going to start saving up for one.

Last I heard, Sony Microsoft and Nintendo were shitting it over the Trump-China Tax because it might've increased the price of the consoles by 50%+. Obviously whoever produces the cheapest console at a big release tends to be the winner but I would expect these ones to be 350-400 and maybe even higher.

Have SSD prices really gone down lately? Or am I being told that by media outlets with no real evidence.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2019, 07:08:36 pm »
Last I heard, Sony Microsoft and Nintendo were shitting it over the Trump-China Tax because it might've increased the price of the consoles by 50%+. Obviously whoever produces the cheapest console at a big release tends to be the winner but I would expect these ones to be 350-400 and maybe even higher.

Have SSD prices really gone down lately? Or am I being told that by media outlets with no real evidence.

Very true.

This is my SSD which I bought for £200.

Can pick up 1TB SSD for £80 now.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #15 on: October 9, 2019, 07:10:22 pm »
You love to see it

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 9, 2019, 07:48:15 pm »
The use of Hardware based Ray Tracing graphics and things like super fast SSD and future proof VR tech puts it in the mid to high-range gaming PC.

The SSD I can understand for the faster loading times etc. But just from my PS4 that has full 2TB internal and 5TB External mechanical drives and 100GB+ games this cant be a standard 500GB m.2 drive tacked on

Plus the failure rate on SSD's is high.

« Last Edit: October 9, 2019, 07:50:14 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 9, 2019, 07:56:34 pm »
Also people are now prepared to pay £1000+ every 2 years for flagship mobiles. The tolerance for a higher price for a top end console that'll last 5 years is alot better than it was.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 9, 2019, 09:47:02 pm »

The console itself is likely to pack around £500 worth of hardware and be priced accordingly. High frequency low latency technology isn't exactly cheap and to include that in the console doesn't seem right unless Sony are want to repeat PS3 losses. The current wireless adapters for VR are priced in the £300-500 region, though admittedly this is already old tech and 5G alone seems to meet VR demands (in theory).

Be made up if they do though, wires are my barrier to VR. So much so I've been flirting with the Oculus Quest.
It's viable. Carmack at Oculus Connect was even talking about Quest having a simple adaptor that can connect into a port on the Quest as a solution to stream to it via PC. The connectivity on it as it is can already be used to stream PC VR games to it. It's said it works almost flawlessly, just not at higher refresh rates, but then again, most headsets now are backtracking on refresh rates on the panels they are using, so it's a moot complaint. If a HMD is built specifically to be used wirelessly, then I dare say it won't be a problem at all. It'll probably come with a detachable USB C to both charge it and to run it with native resolution and higher refresh rates.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 11:47:08 am »
That's just a dev kit surely, no way the final product will look like that. Not a chance.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 11:59:16 am »
That's just a dev kit surely, no way the final product will look like that. Not a chance.

My thoughts exactly
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 12:18:21 pm »
It isn't. It's real.

Sorry I worded myself poorly, the Dev kit probably looks like that but I doubt the final console that will go on sale to you and me will, for example, this is the PS4 dev kit:

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 02:34:44 pm »
Sorry I worded myself poorly, the Dev kit probably looks like that but I doubt the final console that will go on sale to you and me will, for example, this is the PS4 dev kit:

It depends. PS1's and PS2's, as well as most of MS's consoles have all been more or less identical. It's not really so much what the dev kit looks like aesthetically, it's what it looks like it's functionality will be. The shape of that is very curious. Some are saying the V shape is on there because it represents a 5, but if that's the case, then that's indicative of a final design of the retail console. I don't think it's shaped like that for that reason at all. Those fins on the side to me look like some kind of wifi amplification. It's a weird one, because it looks like those shite concept designs that people knock out that turn out absolutely nothing like the actual thing. Only this time it's real.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
It looks like what someone would have thought the PS5 would look like, if you asked them in 2004

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 05:16:33 pm »
Who really cares what it looks like. Most important design questions are UX design of the console menus and the overall design of the controller. Those two are what makes or breaks the experience for users, who spend 99% of their time staring at the screen with the controller in their hands.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 05:39:26 pm »
Ventilation is the biggest issue with all consoles and if there is going to be PC spec parts in there then the heavily vented style makes sense

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 11:59:19 am »
Ventilation is the biggest issue with all consoles and if there is going to be PC spec parts in there then the heavily vented style makes sense

My pro is insanely loud. Opened it up, cleaned the dust etc. still not done much.

Anyone changed the thermal paste on the PS4? Is it worth doing?

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 03:15:28 pm »
My pro is insanely loud. Opened it up, cleaned the dust etc. still not done much.

It's worth getting the paste done by someone who's done it many times before.

It's bloody fiddly

Had to have mine done due to it drying out completely and the ps4 shutting down due to overheating

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 09:39:36 am »
It isn't. It's real.

Exactly my thinking.
Psvr2 is going to be implemented in to ps5 right from the off, and as you say the controller being updated massively to add haptic feedback to all buttons/triggers for a more immersive experience points towards that imo.
Maybe this is why Sony never bought out a specific VR controller with the original ps4/VR.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 03:11:17 pm »

I did mine and the pads, it is now very quiet even on games that made it sound like a jet engine.

I have never done anything like it before, just followed a guide on Youtube/Reddit and went OK thankfully.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 03:46:55 am »

Looks like a USB3.2 C port? And that to me looks like the PS5 might have a camera directly built into the front, which would be brilliant for the existing PSVR's tracking solution.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:00:16 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2019, 11:51:25 am »

Looks like a USB3.2 C port? And that to me looks like the PS5 might have a camera directly built into the front, which would be brilliant for the existing PSVR's tracking solution.

It would be horrible to have a camera on the front to be honest. It's hard enough to get everything positioned nicely for PSVR at the moment let alone needing the console to be in the right spot.

Hope they move away from external cameras and lights for their next VR too, cameras inside the VR head unit is where its at.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2019, 12:47:35 am »
It would be horrible to have a camera on the front to be honest. It's hard enough to get everything positioned nicely for PSVR at the moment let alone needing the console to be in the right spot.

Hope they move away from external cameras and lights for their next VR too, cameras inside the VR head unit is where its at.
It'll have inside out tracking for sure, I reckon. But that does definitely look like a camera there. The fact is, PSVR2 is at least 2 years away, so existing headsets could benefit from any additional tracking they can get. If the camera has a wide enough fov aperture on it, then postion shouldn't be too much of an issue should you want to use it as an option. Things like Playroom and social aps could also use it out of the box. There's also talk of the controllers themselves having cameras on them.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2019, 08:39:25 am »

Don't do it.  It's low end shite that's limited in rendering, performance, you name it. 

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2020, 09:31:19 am »
4pm UK time Sony will be showing the PS5 architecture and how it will change gaming.

Apparently it is the most exciting piece of hardware in the last 20 years.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2020, 10:20:03 am »
4pm UK time Sony will be showing the PS5 architecture and how it will change gaming.

Hmm... does it have backwards compatibility with their full PS catalog and a detachable handheld console?
Is it all cloud based with no physical games required? Is it Netflix for gaming?

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2020, 10:36:11 am »
I can't see what they can offer which is going to be radically different than a more powerful PS4 with the same features as the Xbox Series X seeing as they already have an excellent VR headset

It does have me intrigued though. Hopefully they do something similar to what MS did and allow someone like Digital Foundry in to dive into the tech and what it all means

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2020, 12:06:13 pm »

No less than id Software have said it's impressive - they're not in hock to Sony

I'm expecting backwards compatibility, ray tracing, and PS4 purchases to carry over. Plus their controllers may charge wirelessly

In a dream world it'll come with GTA6. Man, imagine how much it would sell....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:08:03 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2020, 12:43:09 pm »
Am expecting similar sort of spec to the new XBox with perhaps one or two differences in the way they utilise the power and / or functionality.

I expect it will be backwards compatible for PS4 and am hoping for a new VR offering as love the PSVR but it needs refining to really make it viable for regular, prolonged use.

Exciting times though, always love a console launch and normally cave pretty early and buy one. With backwards compatibility I can still chip away at the backlog of games I’ve got on my PS4 - although pending self-isolation might help clear some of that!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2020, 01:33:24 pm »
Hmm... does it have backwards compatibility with their full PS catalog and a detachable handheld console?
Is it all cloud based with no physical games required? Is it Netflix for gaming?

I don’t know mate I’m waiting until 4pm myself.