Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 145364 times)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2020, 05:25:03 pm »
The fact that it is running on a PS5 is proof enough for me to know that the jump between the current gen and last was tiny compared to this one. The level of detail on the geometry is the kind of improvement I didn't think I'd see so quickly. Not in real time. Even offline renderers use displacements for that sort of stuff. It might be a confined tech demo, but it's still massively impressive.
It gets forgotten but the last-gen consoles were technically underwhelming. Mobile processors that were a joke and mid-range GPUs which probably resulted in several downgrades. This time around they're far better relative to PCs
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2020, 05:35:26 pm »
The unreal engine has powered pretty much every single Triple A title since Unreal Tournament so always nice to see the next generation of engine ready to go.

Next step will be how easy it will be for developers to program for.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2020, 06:41:35 pm »
Is it weird Sony hasn't shown anything real yet?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2020, 07:11:57 pm »
Is it weird Sony hasn't shown anything real yet?
Not at all, remember that before the virus all the marketing and attention would be for TLOU2 and to a lesser extent Ghost of Tsushima. The last thing they want to do is to indirectly point out that these are ‘last gen’ games that are going to be graphically outdated soon.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2020, 07:20:55 pm »
It gets forgotten but the last-gen consoles were technically underwhelming. Mobile processors that were a joke and mid-range GPUs which probably resulted in several downgrades. This time around they're far better relative to PCs
Hardware is one thing. It's the technical jump in software that allows the advancements in GPU and CPU power to be utilised properly. That UE engine tech is something that I thought wouldn't be possible. They're talking basically an infinite number of draw calls and triangles that can be rendered if and when they are needed. I can't get my head around that. That's basically Matrix levels of detail in video games. Not only that, but it just allows artists to do what they want without having to mull endlessly over their OCD on poly counts on assets. They can just scan, sculpt, and port with as much detail as they want. The time that saves for development can't be understated, although I still have my doubts. There has to be a caveat to that somewhere. There has to be a performance limit somewhere.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:04 pm »
Those graphics are

Unreal
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2020, 08:29:26 pm »
Another thing when it comes down to being able to have that level of detail on everything on that spec of hardware is that it really doesn't matter if one system has a slightly better GPU, more FLOPS, and all that bollocks. With that kind of detail being able to be pushed, it all falls down to whoever has the better artists and game studios. This really looks like the generation where the graphical ceiling is being knocked on.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2020, 10:37:02 pm »
Not at all, remember that before the virus all the marketing and attention would be for TLOU2 and to a lesser extent Ghost of Tsushima. The last thing they want to do is to indirectly point out that these are ‘last gen’ games that are going to be graphically outdated soon.

Cyberpunk just before aswell, and Valhalla not long after if the October release date is to be believed. So could very well be holding off a little to see if they can get bundles together for them.

Apprently CDPR are offering free upgrades for Cyberpunk to the next gen version aswell.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2020, 11:39:10 pm »
Could you imagine the next Witcher game on the PS5 with that kind of technology?  :o :o

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2020, 12:06:29 am »
Could you imagine the next Witcher game on the PS5 with that kind of technology?  :o :o

Then think what the master race version will be like ;D

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2020, 09:06:33 am »

Open world games are really going to benefit from the SSD's in the new consoles. As Tim Sweeney said, PS5 SSD is best in class, even with PC so that's why they probably chose to run that demo on a PS5 dev kit.

Personally I can't wait to play something like Spiderman 2.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2020, 10:25:02 am »
Personally I hope the focus is on creating more new IP’s rather than going all out on the graphics side of things. There’s not an awful lot of innovation around at the moment as it’s dominated by the same old franchises which release every year.

Word on the Twitter-verse is that Assassins Creed will run at 30fps - 60 fps should have been the standard about 10 years ago. To me 4K is not worth the performance hit, I’d take 1080p or 1440p at 60fps over 4K at 30fps any day of the week.

The best consoles are the ones with the biggest variety of awesome games, there’s no point try to compete with PC’s in this day and age.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2020, 10:30:41 am »
Personally I hope the focus is on creating more new IP’s rather than going all out on the graphics side of things. There’s not an awful lot of innovation around at the moment as it’s dominated by the same old franchises which release every year.

Word on the Twitter-verse is that Assassins Creed will run at 30fps - 60 fps should have been the standard about 10 years ago. To me 4K is not worth the performance hit, I’d take 1080p or 1440p at 60fps over 4K at 30fps any day of the week.

The best consoles are the ones with the biggest variety of awesome games, there’s no point try to compete with PC’s in this day and age.
Personally speaking it depends on the game type for me.

I'd choose 4k over 60 FPS every day on an RPG.  I'd go for frame rate over resolution every day on a shooter or driving sim.

I have a feeling they'll patch AC to make it go more than 30 FPS when they figure it out.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2020, 11:32:49 am »
Looks great to be honest.  I'm not really fussed about graphics, it's very much secondary to game design and story - but hopefully it'll be easy to develop and game creators feel encouraged to experiment and produce interesting titles.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2020, 12:40:00 pm »
The new Horizon Zero Dawn game will look absurdly good on that.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2020, 02:06:02 pm »
What's the chances of this being pushed back to next year along with the Xbox X Series One X Series Xbox?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2020, 02:26:32 pm »
What's the chances of this being pushed back to next year along with the Xbox X Series One X Series Xbox?

Sony said yesterday that everything is on course for a holiday release this year.

Noticed that there’s a sudden ramp up of new game announcements over the last few days.

Mafia collection, PGA Tour 2k20, Tony Hawks remaster. All due out before the new consoles so.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2020, 03:14:31 pm »
Both consoles seem to be in production now and because they're so expensive to make they can't really let them gather dust in a warehouse somewhere.

I did read that MS are waiting for Sony to reveal the price of the PS5 and then they will undercut it with their console, no matter what it is. A bit like what the PS4 did to the X One and it killed it before launch. But I don't see that having the same affect this time around.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2020, 03:18:09 pm »
Both consoles seem to be in production now and because they're so expensive to make they can't really let them gather dust in a warehouse somewhere.

I did read that MS are waiting for Sony to reveal the price of the PS5 and then they will undercut it with their console, no matter what it is. A bit like what the PS4 did to the X One and it killed it before launch. But I don't see that having the same affect this time around.

So if Sony reveal a price of £350 then MS would come out with a price of around £280-300?

Haha bold move if so.

• Kopite
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2020, 03:34:33 pm »
So if Sony reveal a price of £350 then MS would come out with a price of around £280-300?

Haha bold move if so.
The Bill of Materials alone for the PS5 has gone up to $500 - I reckon the console will sell for £400 or so

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2020, 04:02:10 pm »
Btw that light shift in the demo would make for some absolutely incredible stealth game scenarios.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2020, 04:16:23 pm »
The Bill of Materials alone for the PS5 has gone up to $500 - I reckon the console will sell for £400 or so

I reckon it’ll be £450 PS5 and £400 Xbox personally.

They’ll undercut but I can’t see them undercutting it by much.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2020, 04:19:49 pm »
I'm expecting between £400-£500 for both on launch. I normally end up with both, one is bought roughly a year after launch though.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2020, 04:22:05 pm »
Interesting if that's true.

Microsoft knows they have the more powerful console so undercutting will be a huge win, they can probably eat those losses for breakfast - Sony cant.
:D

• Kopite
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »
I reckon it’ll be £450 PS5 and £400 Xbox personally.

They’ll undercut but I can’t see them undercutting it by much.
I think MS will match Sony, not undercut - the Lockhart console will be the cheap option.

I'm expecting between £400-£500 for both on launch. I normally end up with both, one is bought roughly a year after launch though.

I'll end up with both but probably more than a year between  ;D

Leaning towards Xbox first as my One is a launch day version, my PS4 is the Pro.  If Sony announced God of War 2 to come within a year of launch it'll probably swing me though.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2020, 04:26:59 pm »
I'm still on the fence as to which console to buy first.

Sony have me by the balls because I have downloaded PS Plus games for years and therefore have a backlog of 100s so would lose all of them if I switched.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2020, 04:27:58 pm »
I think MS will match Sony, not undercut - the Lockhart console will be the cheap option.

I'll end up with both but probably more than a year between  ;D

Leaning towards Xbox first as my One is a launch day version, my PS4 is the Pro.  If Sony announced God of War 2 to come within a year of launch it'll probably swing me though.
I think the exclusives on Gamepass thing may sway me to Xbox first, if that's still the way it works.

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2020, 04:42:49 pm »
I think the exclusives on Gamepass thing may sway me to Xbox first, if that's still the way it works.
Certainly some of their exclusives have been confirmed for Game Pass - I'm not certain if it's every one but it might be.

It's exciting times, no matter which console you get.  PS have absolutely smashed it with the PS4 and IMO they 100% have the better exclusives (I like Halo, Gears is decent, Forza is alright - I'd take God of War and probably Spiderman over probably any of them).

Xbox know this, though.  If they had kept blundering on I'd ditch them.  Phil Spencer is a smart dude and the sheer number of game studios they've bought is incredible.

I am so excited, these consoles are going to be incredible  ;D

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »

Every single Xbox Game Studios game will be on Gamepass day one. It's a great service. I'll be getting Xbox Series X day one then PS5 a year later I think. Both consoles will be amazing, both will play fantastic games and both will push the limits of what they can do

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2020, 12:13:34 am »

Sony have me by the balls because I have downloaded PS Plus games for years and therefore have a backlog of 100s so would lose all of them if I switched.

I'll be going PS5 while the Xbox can perform higher terra flops I think the custom SSD is going to be a bigger game changer, drive speed has always been a massive restriction and based on whats being reported the PS5 will only load what you can see and will discard the rest freeing up lots of resources but that's only possible if the drive can load it quick enough to keep up.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2020, 02:16:51 am »

Have we seen the Xbox handset yet? That'll be the decision maker
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2020, 02:25:56 am »
PS5 first for me, mainly through brand loyalty and due to the fact i’ll have Cyberpunk on the PS4 already.

Sony tend to focus more on the games aswell I think, so you’ll probably end up with better exclusives on the PS5 down the line.

Xbox needs a strong launch line-up and at the minute, they’re only focusing on hardware in the marketing.
Sony are letting them dig a whole again before showing off the games like they did with the PS4 IMO.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2020, 04:27:08 am »
PS5 first for me too, and I'm probably getting a gaming PC afterwards when there's a clear performance gap and the likes of Witcher 4, TES 6, and GTA 7 are out. MS has been putting a lot of support on PC so that's where I'll play their games too.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2020, 07:36:30 am »
Have we seen the Xbox handset yet? That'll be the decision maker

Hahahaha cracks me up every time.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2020, 08:32:06 am »
Sounds like Sony are going down the ‘show of the console through the games’ route again.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-05-15-sonys-ps5-reveal-will-be-all-about-the-software-opinion

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2020, 08:54:08 pm »

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2020, 11:07:50 pm »
PS5 first for me too, and I'm probably getting a gaming PC afterwards when there's a clear performance gap and the likes of Witcher 4, TES 6, and GTA 7 are out. MS has been putting a lot of support on PC so that's where I'll play their games too.

That's how i stand too - last month bought high end gaming rig, and as all Xbox games are coming to Windows, the console is entirely redundant for me.  I don't play multiplayer online games (save Borderlands - which I play on steam as the 3/4 people I play with are on that platform), and as for exclusives, both the PS4 AND the PS3  blew the MS exclusives out of the water; so even though MS have recently bought up some studios, history could easily repeat itself (think of Rare - one of the greatest devs of the late 90s, early 00s - MS bought them and since they haven't put out a single worthwhile title.

Will still probably not get the PS5 immediately at launch, as will want 4/5 exclusives I want to play before going for it (same reason I haven't got a Switch - took ages for there to be those 4/5 games, and then the console became absurdly expensive again due to manufactured scarcity so never bothered).  However, if they can deliver sequels to GOW, HZD, Spiderman (or a new Insomniac game), whatever the 2nd studio at ND are making (possibly a new uncharted, possibly a new IP), whatever Sony Japan can come out with (especially if it is with Ueda), etc. then I'll jump on. 

I do think it's an odd year for Sony, with 2 MASSIVE exclusives coming out this year for PS4 before the PS5 launch - which could mean that the number of exclusives is fewer at launch then it would have been otherwise, but equally it is probably best they don't try and delay them, and re-do the game for PS5

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2020, 11:13:56 pm »
I think I've done the 180.  Think I've decided on PS5.  Ghost did it.  Yeah it's a current gen game.  But the only Xbox exclusive I would want to play as much as that is a potential new Fable game.

Of course, I'm a fickle POS, so if Xbox show some genuinely good exclusives at their even, I can be swayed.  But similarly, Sony announce God of War 2 and it's game over.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2020, 11:22:03 pm »
Wonder if there will be some kind of pro mode for this gens last titles?

Cyberpunk is already getting a PS5 upgrade, Ghost has to surely?

Mafia trilogy will be class aswell!

Could start the next gen with Fifa, Tony Hawks and Cyberpunk. Enough to keep anyone going for a while!

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2020, 11:29:23 pm »
I hope Sony knock off announcing games 5 years before they come out this next gen.