Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 324244 times)

Online aedge659

• Legacy Fan
  • Through wind and rain..
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #4960 on: June 22, 2022, 10:04:44 am »
Got tickets for the Long Room at Chester on Friday for the evening meeting.

Half day off work, skin full of Guinness and night racing. 

Get in.

Group of us going to Chester for the Sunday meeting in July, only day we can all go with work commitments. Always a good craic.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4961 on: June 23, 2022, 03:07:44 pm »
Seems to have been a falling out between Gosden and Dettori at Ascot, he’s not on Gosden horses he usually ride this weekend at Newmarket.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #4962 on: June 23, 2022, 05:27:14 pm »
Interesting. Can't say I'm surprised after last week, but it does seem to have been something that has been bubbling with Gosden for a while. I remember him a few times talking about Frankie and with one in particular you got the impression he didn't like Frankie telling him about the horse (Stradivarius in this instance) and like his own ego felt it should be the other way round; I'm the trainer, I tell you about the horse!
It'd be interesting also to see what Frankie does next if this partnership does come to an end. I'm sure he'll still be in demand but I also genuinely fear for Frankie when his riding days are over because without the love of the crowd I can see him struggling a lot mentally.
Hollie Doyle being tipped to take his spot I see.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4963 on: June 23, 2022, 06:05:08 pm »
Dettori just isn’t what he was. The days of him getting horses up that he shouldn’t are a long time ago. He still rides his share of winners and top level ones at that because Gosden is supported by every big owner in the game and most have purple blood but they win in spite of him now in my opinion.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4964 on: June 25, 2022, 03:51:18 pm »
Humungous display from Trueshan. Winning a handicap off 120!

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4965 on: June 25, 2022, 04:00:34 pm »
Humungous display from Trueshan. Winning a handicap off 120!
Missed that. Didn’t think he’d be able to win the Plate off top weight. As you say Gerry that’s some effort

Did just catch Westover bolt up in the Irish Derby
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 04:02:34 pm by duvva »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4966 on: June 25, 2022, 04:07:31 pm »
I wouldn’t have backed him when he was carrying 28 pound more than a horse rated 97. Especially not over 2 miles. My general rule is the further they go the lower down the handicap I start looking.

Westover was exceptional, another classic winner for Frankel too. Don’t think he’s beat a great deal though. Tuesday would’ve been beaten by several lengths in the Oaks if Emily Upjohn didn’t blow the start and Piz Badile got beat from Epsom to Haydock in the Derby.

Online aedge659

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4967 on: June 25, 2022, 07:46:12 pm »
Think my lesser knowledge helped me, backed Trueshan @ 5/1 last night, didn't realise the weight. Any horse that has beat Stradivarius gets my money down.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4968 on: June 25, 2022, 08:18:29 pm »
Think my lesser knowledge helped me, backed Trueshan @ 5/1 last night, didn't realise the weight. Any horse that has beat Stradivarius gets my money down.
Nice result mate

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4969 on: June 25, 2022, 10:38:26 pm »
Trueshan ran that same race last year off 10-4 and came 6th.

That's big.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4970 on: June 27, 2022, 01:33:30 pm »
The Eclipse looks a good renewal this Saturday. Mishriff seems a very big price but he wasn’t at his best first time out last season and needs to return to form after two disappointing runs

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4971 on: June 27, 2022, 06:01:43 pm »
Really nice looking field for it but the weather may play it's part. I won't be making any selections until the day, put it that way.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4972 on: July 1, 2022, 01:56:45 pm »
Group of us going to Chester for the Sunday meeting in July, only day we can all go with work commitments. Always a good craic.

I missed the Chester night meeting the other week due to bloody work :no

On my future son-in-laws stag do in County Stand next Saturday though.  Looking forward to it.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4973 on: July 1, 2022, 06:39:46 pm »
Really nice looking field for it but the weather may play it's part. I won't be making any selections until the day, put it that way.
Gonna be good to firm more or less by race time tomorrow. No more rain or watering due. I’m now leaning towards Native Trail. It’s not definite pedigree wise but I think he’ll appreciate the extra 2f. Ground is in his favour and the weight allowance is significant

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4974 on: July 2, 2022, 04:57:41 pm »
That was a horse race. In terms of overall quality and excitement without doubt one of the best we’ll see in 2022. 6 absolute top class animals covered by about 4 1/2 total lengths and run in an absolutely rapid time. In most runnings even the fourth (Lord North) would’ve been good enough to win

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4975 on: July 5, 2022, 11:04:15 am »
Dettori will ride Inspiral in the Falmouth and Emily Upjohn in the Irish Oaks this weekend...

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4976 on: July 5, 2022, 11:46:54 am »
Dettori will ride Inspiral in the Falmouth and Emily Upjohn in the Irish Oaks this weekend...
That was a short sabbatical

Online aedge659

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4977 on: July 6, 2022, 09:06:57 pm »
Hope you enjoy Newmarket Saturday Duvva. The July Cup looks pretty competitive, tempted to take on Perfect Power. Will wait for the bookies to throw up the extra places first.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4978 on: July 6, 2022, 09:55:24 pm »
Hope you enjoy Newmarket Saturday Duvva. The July Cup looks pretty competitive, tempted to take on Perfect Power. Will wait for the bookies to throw up the extra places first.
Cheers. I actually really fancy Perfect Power, hoping it doesn’t get too short so I can back it. Really like Persian Force tomorrow as well but again wouldn’t mind seeing it drift a little to a decentish price

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4979 on: July 8, 2022, 03:51:33 pm »
Interesting to hear what they have to say about Inspiral. Very flat today. Could have bounced, ground seems very fast as well but very disappointing

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4980 on: July 8, 2022, 04:00:10 pm »
Beckett is having a good season.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4981 on: July 9, 2022, 07:21:02 pm »
Well I’ve had better days! Closest to a winner was Positive Impact getting touched off by Jimi Hendrix. Couple of my mates had a bit on Alcohol Free at 16/1 so they had a much better time of it.
Perfect Power very disappointing. the form of the Jubilee looks a lot stronger than the Commonwealth

Online aedge659

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4982 on: July 9, 2022, 08:12:27 pm »
Well I’ve had better days! Closest to a winner was Positive Impact getting touched off by Jimi Hendrix. Couple of my mates had a bit on Alcohol Free at 16/1 so they had a much better time of it.
Perfect Power very disappointing. the form of the Jubilee looks a lot stronger than the Commonwealth

Really hard day to call Duv, I was right to take on Perfect Power but not with the right horse, fancied Creative Force to reverse  running with Naval Crown. Newmarket hasn't helped my Goodwood selections an awful lot.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4983 on: July 15, 2022, 06:11:25 pm »
The thing with Perfect Power, I don't know if anyone's noticed or not, is that he's running with wraps on his front legs, which suggests a bit of an issue with the tendons, so on firmer ground he's likely quite uncomfortable/possibly in some discomfort or pain with his fetlocks probably hitting the floor too much. He did run on that ground when he was younger but then the wraps started to appear. I assume he'll be kept away from good to firm ground from now on and I expect he'll be retired this year or next as a result. You could tell from the noises coming out of the Fahey camp that they weren't really wanting to run him in the July cup on that ground but the alternative race in France meant that Soumillon wouldn't have been able to ride him and they definitely want to keep him on board.

Wraps on in this pic from earlier this year at Newbury (Good) as an example.

I see there's been a few shake-ups this week. Desert Crown is out of the King George and Emily Upjohn is now in it after travel problems prevented her from going to Ireland this weekend. Magical Lagoon looks a banker for the Irish Oaks now and the King George is looking a bit more open. Some rain ahead of that fixture would make it a really tasty affair with a few horses still in that like softer conditions. Without the rain the field size will probably be reduced by half of what it currently is.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4984 on: July 15, 2022, 07:01:36 pm »
‘Travel issues’ to me says they saw Desert Crown was out and they knew they’d have a better shot at the King George.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4985 on: July 15, 2022, 08:33:29 pm »
‘Travel issues’ to me says they saw Desert Crown was out and they knew they’d have a better shot at the King George.
Exactly what I was thinking. One of the reports I read mentioned they did the same with Taghrooda

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4986 on: July 15, 2022, 08:54:18 pm »
The thing with Perfect Power, I don't know if anyone's noticed or not, is that he's running with wraps on his front legs, which suggests a bit of an issue with the tendons, so on firmer ground he's likely quite uncomfortable/possibly in some discomfort or pain with his fetlocks probably hitting the floor too much. He did run on that ground when he was younger but then the wraps started to appear. I assume he'll be kept away from good to firm ground from now on and I expect he'll be retired this year or next as a result. You could tell from the noises coming out of the Fahey camp that they weren't really wanting to run him in the July cup on that ground but the alternative race in France meant that Soumillon wouldn't have been able to ride him and they definitely want to keep him on board.

You may be right, but he’s run and won a number of times on good to firm. It was super hot there and had been all week so despite them watering it may have been firmer than advertised, there were some funny results across the 3 days. I backed him and was disappointed and do think he’s better than that but in hindsight the form from the Jubilee looks a lot stronger than the Commonwealth. Imagine he may have a break now and we’ll see him in the Sprint Cup at Haydock next

Online aedge659

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4987 on: July 16, 2022, 04:58:26 pm »

I see there's been a few shake-ups this week. Desert Crown is out of the King George and Emily Upjohn is now in it after travel problems prevented her from going to Ireland this weekend. Magical Lagoon looks a banker for the Irish Oaks now and the King George is looking a bit more open. Some rain ahead of that fixture would make it a really tasty affair with a few horses still in that like softer conditions. Without the rain the field size will probably be reduced by half of what it currently is.

Got on Magical Lagoon after your post, tar Frank.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4988 on: July 16, 2022, 05:14:02 pm »
Woeful renewal of the Irish Oaks. Emily Upjohn would’ve won if she had to run backwards.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #4989 on: July 16, 2022, 09:28:49 pm »
I'm off to Stratford races tomorrow if anyone has any selections in any of the races? Thanks

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4990 on: July 18, 2022, 06:16:14 pm »
Woeful renewal of the Irish Oaks. Emily Upjohn would’ve won if she had to run backwards.

It wasn't exactly a classic field but I still think the winner is good horse and she ran the best time of the day too. She seems to have a real battling quality about her, I would very much like to have seen how her and Emily Upjohn would have faired against each other and see if she could keep finding and finding or if EU would have just ran away from her. But hey, we may have to wait a while to find out such things. I like them both.

Also disappointed to see the King George field down to just six, despite heavy rain forecast for Friday. Racing's really struggling with field sizes these days. Fewer races and more prize money much needed I reckon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:20:04 pm by El_Frank »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4991 on: July 23, 2022, 10:26:03 am »
What are we saying today then gentlemen? Emily Upjohn is really weak this morning, I doubt she even goes off 2nd Fav. Mishriff is being supported and the closer it gets to the race the more I like his chances. He’s just a top class yard stick and the others will need their A game and maybe a bit more in Pyledriver and Broome’s cases to down him. Got Doyle on board which makes me more confident than Egan. He’d be the play if I had a free tenner now.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4992 on: July 23, 2022, 10:52:45 am »
What are we saying today then gentlemen? Emily Upjohn is really weak this morning, I doubt she even goes off 2nd Fav. Mishriff is being supported and the closer it gets to the race the more I like his chances. He’s just a top class yard stick and the others will need their A game and maybe a bit more in Pyledriver and Broome’s cases to down him. Got Doyle on board which makes me more confident than Egan. He’d be the play if I had a free tenner now.

A decent renewal again, Irish Derby winner, Arc winner, possibly unlucky Oaks 2nd plus G1 winning older horses. You can make a case for any of the 6 on their day. Think I’ll just be watching but if there’d been a bit more rain might have been tempted by the Arc winner at the price

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4993 on: July 23, 2022, 11:47:18 am »
A decent renewal again, Irish Derby winner, Arc winner, possibly unlucky Oaks 2nd plus G1 winning older horses. You can make a case for any of the 6 on their day. Think I’ll just be watching but if there’d been a bit more rain might have been tempted by the Arc winner at the price

Yeah, the price for Torquator Tasso is big but he really needs juice in the ground and there isn't any. Rattling quick it is.

I think by process of elimination Westover is the play but he's skinny. Plus he's got Colin Keane on board, who seems to just stop riding every time I back one of his mounts.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4994 on: July 23, 2022, 12:08:20 pm »
Yeah, the price for Torquator Tasso is big but he really needs juice in the ground and there isn't any. Rattling quick it is.

I think by process of elimination Westover is the play but he's skinny. Plus he's got Colin Keane on board, who seems to just stop riding every time I back one of his mounts.
Think I’d like to see Westover, as a Derby winner, win. That could make a rematch with Desert Crown something to really look forward to probably in the Arc

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4995 on: July 23, 2022, 03:42:23 pm »
Pyledriver put up a career best. Think TT ran a nice arc prep there. Didn’t get his best ground and still ran a good race. Won’t be going off 80/1 this time. Mishriff had to do his running to get close and the rest were a no show. Strange race.

Online aedge659

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4996 on: July 25, 2022, 02:07:21 pm »
What do we think of Trueshans chances of running tomorrow?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4997 on: July 26, 2022, 08:09:51 pm »
Away from Goodwood for a minute there was a group horse on show at Galway today. Tahiyra needs chucking in every notebook. Absolutely pissed up against an O’Brien horse who got beat half the distance previously by a Group 3 scorer. Half sister to Tarnawa. This one is going to be a giant of the game.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4998 on: August 14, 2022, 11:58:00 am »
Good race in France today, with Coroebus up against Inspiral and a couple of other Grp 1 winners. I think if Inspiral is back to her best she should win

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4999 on: August 14, 2022, 12:02:55 pm »
Yeah, class race. Sometimes think trainers use these French group 1s as a softer target to keep their breeding value up but this is an outstanding race. Think Order of Australia might be a bit of value to sneak a place.