Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]  (Read 107147 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]
« Reply #1000 on: December 24, 2021, 04:34:28 am »
Yeah, I owned a *free* copy first too. The game was just so good though that I wanted to support CDPR, so bought it. This was pre-Cyberpunk obviously.

Same ;D

Really sucks the next gen version didn't make it in time for Christmas, I had a blast watching the Witcher Season 1 and playing through the game over Christmas. Wanted it to become a pastime.

Think I'm going to play the expansions with mods instead, never got round to them.

The bloody baron quest is the only one in gaming that’s stuck with me since I first played it.

Heart wrenching, grotesque yet oddly mesmerising.

I didn't know that quest had a 'bad' ending until my second playthrough, I was similarly shook for a good while :(
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 04:36:32 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1001 on: December 24, 2021, 08:22:02 am »
Same ;D

Really sucks the next gen version didn't make it in time for Christmas, I had a blast watching the Witcher Season 1 and playing through the game over Christmas. Wanted it to become a pastime.

Think I'm going to play the expansions with mods instead, never got round to them.

I didn't know that quest had a 'bad' ending until my second playthrough, I was similarly shook for a good while :(

play HoS frist, because the end of BoW is the 'end' of the game.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1002 on: December 24, 2021, 09:24:27 am »
Same ;D

Fuckin' hell, you haven't been to Toussaint!?  Blood and Wine could practically pass for a complete game in and of itself.   Beauclair is beautifully done as is the whole region.  Try using a realtime mod and Meditate until 5AM, as sunrise in Toussaint is one of the most beautiful things in gaming.  The main strength of HoS is the writing in my opinion and as Voodoo said, play Blood and Wine last.  You should have a blast mate.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1003 on: December 24, 2021, 10:06:55 am »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1004 on: December 24, 2021, 02:40:23 pm »
I've played through TW3 twice but never the expansions. Bought GOTY edition but waiting for the next gen update is hard.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1005 on: December 24, 2021, 03:39:36 pm »
I've played through TW3 twice but never the expansions. .

:o
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1006 on: December 24, 2021, 03:44:40 pm »
I know. I never read up on them and I've never been a fan of DLCs. But now I know how good they are I'll make an exception.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: December 24, 2021, 04:34:07 pm »
I know. I never read up on them and I've never been a fan of DLCs. But now I know how good they are I'll make an exception.

Yeah I hate modern games and DLC. Bit like directors cuts for films and special/japanese/US edition cds/releases back in the day. I don't want to have to go digging to research to avoid being disappointed.

With this game, I bought it on a whim during a sale in first lockdown after getting a playstation 4 just in time. Haven't played it since. Think it cost a tenner. But it didn't include the two big expansions. Been holding off until a remaster since. Bit annoying that game of the year is available for cheaper than I spent, but the expansions are full price. Would send them a few quid if they'd offer them up.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1008 on: December 24, 2021, 04:52:52 pm »
Yeah I hate modern games and DLC. Bit like directors cuts for films and special/japanese/US edition cds/releases back in the day. I don't want to have to go digging to research to avoid being disappointed.

With this game, I bought it on a whim during a sale in first lockdown after getting a playstation 4 just in time. Haven't played it since. Think it cost a tenner. But it didn't include the two big expansions. Been holding off until a remaster since. Bit annoying that game of the year is available for cheaper than I spent, but the expansions are full price. Would send them a few quid if they'd offer them up.

The remasters are being given for free to people who already own it. So just buy it now while its cheap.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1009 on: December 24, 2021, 04:58:11 pm »
Is Cyberpunk worth getting these days?
It's going cheapish. I'm playing on Series S Xbox btw.

Thinking of either Cyberpunk or Fallout 4 for my next big adventure.
Open to suggestions, I mostly play RPG's.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1010 on: December 24, 2021, 05:00:53 pm »
The remasters are being given for free to people who already own it. So just buy it now while its cheap.

Yeah this is the wise move, but since I've already got the game (just not the expansions) can't bring myself to.

Will probs just pony up when they next come down to 6 quid or whatever

edit: unless the remasters will be a full/GOTY type version for everyone?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 05:04:06 pm by Classycara »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1011 on: December 24, 2021, 05:01:47 pm »
Is Cyberpunk worth getting these days?
It's going cheapish. I'm playing on Series S Xbox btw.

Thinking of either Cyberpunk or Fallout 4 for my next big adventure.
Open to suggestions, I mostly play RPG's.

Cyberpunk is getting a next gen release in the first quarter of 2022

I bet you can pick up Fallout 4 on the gamepass? Shame the series s doesn't have as disc drive as you can get a hard copy for a quid! https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=5055856406266&categoryName=xbox-one-software&superCatName=gaming&title=fallout-4-%28no-dlc%29&referredFrom=boxsearch

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1012 on: December 24, 2021, 05:03:35 pm »
Yeah, F4 is on Gamepass.
Might just dig into that, or go full insane and get Diablo 2 Remaster.
Would like to replay the Witcher 3, but it was only bit over a year since I did - so still a bit too fresh in memory.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1013 on: December 24, 2021, 05:05:24 pm »
Yeah this is the wise move, but since I've already got the game (just not the expansions) can't bring myself to.

Will probs just pony up when they next come down to 6 quid or whatever

edit: unless the remasters will be a full/GOTY type version for everyone?

If you were a pc (=proper) gamer you could get them right now in the Steam holiday sale... ;D

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1014 on: December 24, 2021, 05:09:27 pm »
Also Witcher 2 is on sale for 3 quid if you fancy a go on that

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: December 30, 2021, 11:05:36 pm »
Would like to replay the Witcher 3, but it was only bit over a year since I did - so still a bit too fresh in memory.

I've been putting mine off for ages as I knew the remaster was close..but it keeps getting further away! Looks like at least another 6 months.

Also, since remasters/remakes are all the rage these days, Witcher 1 and 2 would be high up in my list for remastering.

Never finished them as they felt too dated, would love to play them brought up to Witcher 3 usability.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1016 on: December 30, 2021, 11:07:48 pm »
I've been putting mine off for ages as I knew the remaster was close..but it keeps getting further away! Looks like at least another 6 months.

Also, since remasters/remakes are all the rage these days, Witcher 1 and 2 would be high up in candidates for remasters.
Never finished them as they felt too dated, would love to play them brought up to Witcher 3 usability.

as they've said Q2 I'm expecting it to be the 30th of june unless it's delayed again, and it'll be a pleasant surprise if it's any earlier.

I played 2 a couple of years ago and it's alright. 1 really is dated as fuck though.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1017 on: January 2, 2022, 01:40:07 pm »
Back up and running in this, I gave up on it due to being stuck wandering around Novigrad and it was getting too samey. A solid 18 month gap has given me some renewed motivation and after a couple sessions I'm... still in Novigrad. BUT, as least I've checked off the 'Look for Ciri in Novigrad' box and am just mopping up some stuff that Triss wants help with. Then, Skellige. Steam says I'm 98 hours in, feels like I played for longer in Spring last year, but then I guess time stretched for everyone then!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1018 on: January 9, 2022, 01:16:28 pm »
Wow... exploring Skellige is like a breath of fresh air after Novigrad, and really reminds me of the first dozen or so hours in Velen, wandering the countryside stumbling into all sorts of camps, dens etc. Rather than proper questing I'm just clearing off all the Witcher School gear upgrades, building up a fast travel network whilst I'm at it for later.

Novigrad looks amazing for a medieval city in a PC game, but the questing got really arduous and stopped me playing for a long time. It was lots of running through the same streets to end up in more cutscenes, navigating both the criminal underworld and political classes. Maybe my mistake was fully exploring and completing Velen before going there.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1019 on: January 9, 2022, 10:44:16 pm »
It's amazing isn't it. Some of the scenery is gorgeous. Can't wait to see it on next gen consoles.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: January 10, 2022, 07:49:22 am »
Yeah, I love Skellige. Toussaint probably just edges it as my favorite region and Beauclair over Novigrad in my opinion. The valley of Ard Skellige in particular, with the streams running through it and the abandoned tower is breathtaking. Still my fave game ever.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:52:06 am by Darren G »

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: January 10, 2022, 07:23:18 pm »
Best thing about Skellige is the music. Blew me away when you "land" there for the first time.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: January 10, 2022, 10:58:33 pm »
Best thing about Skellige is the music. Blew me away when you "land" there for the first time.

Aye.  'Fields of Ard Skellige' and 'The Tree When We Sat Once' (Faroe) in particular are beautiful. English translation and meaning of the former for anyone interested:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/J62CPQ22jMM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/J62CPQ22jMM</a>

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: January 11, 2022, 08:25:43 am »
I got bored of TW3 just as I arrived on Skellige. This is making me wonder if I need to get back to it.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: January 11, 2022, 09:22:11 am »
Novigrad looks amazing for a medieval city in a PC game, but the questing got really arduous and stopped me playing for a long time. It was lots of running through the same streets to end up in more cutscenes, navigating both the criminal underworld and political classes. Maybe my mistake was fully exploring and completing Velen before going there.

Had the exact same experience on my first playthrough, got completely bogged down in Novigrad and lost interest, didn't play again for months. As you say, so much running back and forth through the streets, bombarded with dialogue and cut scenes, so many names and plot strands that it can be overwhelming. When I picked it back up I started from scratch and didn't have the same problem again when I reached Novigrad, I was probably just more invested in the story that time and had been paying closer attention.

I'm playing through Skyrim at the moment and get a similar feeling from Riften, get hit with so many new faces, names and quests in such a short space of time that I lose track of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. Powering through this time though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:24:57 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1025 on: January 11, 2022, 12:03:28 pm »
I dont play RPG's as a rule. Im an fps shooter kind of guy. But W3 was superb and is one of my all time favourite games.

Skellige was bloody hard work though, esp if your boat got damaged and sank. I swear I swam more than walked anywhere.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: January 14, 2022, 10:40:44 pm »
CDPR could gain back a lot of goodwill by bringing out a remake of Witcher 1 and 2 along with a remaster of 3 in one package!

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1027 on: February 15, 2022, 04:34:02 pm »
Personally I really enjoyed the Novigrad area of the game and Skellige too. Touissant is without doubt my favourite area though and Beauclair is a much more prettier city than Novigrad.

I would love it if they remade The Witcher 1 and 2, in the same manner that they created the Witcher 3. The same graphical upgrade, the same fighting and signs, everything. And made it 3 games in 1.

Still my favourite ever RPG

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1028 on: March 21, 2022, 07:04:54 pm »
well a new game is in development anyway.

though I don't expect it'll be released for a couple of years at least.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1029 on: March 21, 2022, 07:48:54 pm »
The big news about it is that they are using Unreal 5 as opposed to their own engine so hopefully no more Cyberpunk release type-nonsense.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1030 on: March 22, 2022, 10:32:48 am »
How exciting.

Still can't wait for the next gen update so I can finally play the DLCs

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1031 on: March 22, 2022, 10:33:53 am »
I wonder if they'll stick with Geralts 'story being over' after Wild Hunt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1032 on: March 22, 2022, 02:09:14 pm »
Right, in the wake of that I need another shot in the arm to get Witcher 3 done. I've abandoned the main quest at the point I travel to the 'Isle of Dreams' or some such to find Ciri, in favour of knocking off all the sidequests I had piled up AND doing the first DLC, thus leaving the whole map clear of ? icons. I did a bit of it but got bored of it all helping some guy's dead brother enjoy a wedding. And that's only the first of 3 wishes I have to help fulfill. DLCs can feel like such a chore, I remember struggling to finish the big one in Dragon Age: Origins.

Would it be recommended to get the main quest sorted at that point, or do the other DLC in Toussaint first? I know they won't have any relation to each other.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1033 on: March 22, 2022, 02:17:14 pm »
leave toussaint until you're done with everything else.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1034 on: November 12, 2022, 08:27:33 pm »
Right. Main quest, DONE.

All side quests in that part of the world, including all that von Everec DLC crap, DONE.

I'm ridiculously overlevelled and was one-shotting most of the Wild Hunt Warriors on the way to Eredin. The only quest that remains is the Gwent card-collecting.

Time for Toussaint.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1035 on: November 12, 2022, 08:34:56 pm »
well at least you've not rushed it.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1036 on: November 12, 2022, 08:57:39 pm »
I started a new job in April this year and really struggled to do a lot of gaming since as it's longer and later hours. It was only because my hard drive space was starting to get critical that I decided that some of the games with huge worlds had to either get completed or deleted.

I've enjoyed the storytelling of the Witcher, but when it comes to RPG mechanics I prefer the Bioware style of teleporting you between quest hubs and keeping a tighter rein on what you're currently doing. A quest log with dozens of people/places all over the place to go talk to/explore can leave you a bit overwhelmed. I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other, before it kicks off an argument - but I've never abandoned a Bioware RPG after dozens of hours invested. Sadly, the Witcher for a while was destined to join a bunch of open-world Bethesda offerings I got way too lost in.

And you pick up way too much junk without a decent method of getting rid. Merchants who run out of money to buy all the random swords I've picked up are useless to me. My stash is so huge that there's a 10 second delay in the game every time I transfer something in or out.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 09:02:52 pm by Riquende »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: November 12, 2022, 08:57:47 pm »
Right. Main quest, DONE.

All side quests in that part of the world, including all that von Everec DLC crap, DONE.

I'm ridiculously overlevelled and was one-shotting most of the Wild Hunt Warriors on the way to Eredin. The only quest that remains is the Gwent card-collecting.

Time for Toussaint.

Toussaint is like a whole separate game,beautiful as well.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1038 on: November 12, 2022, 09:01:50 pm »
I started a new job in April this year and really struggled to do a lot of gaming since as it's longer and later hours. It was only because my hard drive space was starting to get critical that I decided that some of the games with huge worlds had to either get completed or deleted.

I've enjoyed the storytelling of the Witcher, but when it comes to RPG mechanics I prefer the Bioware style of teleporting you between quest hubs and keeping a tighter rein on what you're currently doing. A quest log with dozens of people/places all over the place to go talk to/explore can leave you a bit overwhelmed.

understandable.

toussaint will be like the colour on your screen has gone haywire compared to everywhere else. but that fits with its image.

no spoilers, but towards the end it'll give you a choice of 2 places that you can go. when it does, go to the orphanage first then go and do the other choice. the orphanage is fairly imporant to understand one character but the other 'quest chain' is much more fun.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1039 on: November 12, 2022, 10:12:22 pm »
Man I spent so much time on gwent
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.