Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]  (Read 107216 times)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]
« Reply #840 on: March 17, 2020, 04:47:32 am »
What difficulty has everyone played this at?

I'm playing it on normal, and at level 23, it's getting to be a bit too easy. I'm beating level 30 things, which are supposed to be well beyond my capabilities, quite easily. I'm thinking of upping the difficulty but also I feel like I've come a bit too far and won't be ready for the challenge.

The problem is there isn't very much to the game at this difficulty. You get the right oil and mutagen and you can pretty much button mash your way against almost any enemy, assuming you're patient enough and do enough dodging. On the dodging, I think this is probably one of the more forgiving games for the dodge. Enemies usually take a long windup to give you time to dodge, and even when they stun you, there's usually time to get out of the way. I expect at a higher level this part will still be the case, and I'll just have to get hit less/hit the enemy more than I am now? In which case I think most fights should still be fairly manageable, except the ones against multiple enemies that do a lot of blocking.

How far are you into the game mate?

I personally play on Death March these days.  That being said, I've sunk WAY too many hours into this game, so maybe Blood and Broken Bones would probably be enough of a challenge for you at this point. 

The combat system - and I'm talking about the basic sword strikes and movement, not the oils and the like - is far more complex than most people realise.  Different timing, angles and combinations of rolls/attacks all lead to different types of strikes.  You have to be far more aware of all of that on the Death March level and give far more consideration to both your movement and strikes.  The button mashing that you mention will lead to a quick death. 

In terms of "I'll just have to get hit less/hit the enemy more than I am now" at higher difficulties:   It's not just the damage multipliers of enemies that is changed, but the ai itself is more aggressive, so that's a "no".   

Unless you're just in it for the story and exploration (which it doesn't sound like) then I'd certainly give a higher difficulty level a shot if I were in your position, whether it's Blood and Broken Bones or Deathmarch.  You can always change it back at any point in the game if it's pissing you off or if there's a particular monster that you can't beat on a higher difficulty.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #841 on: March 17, 2020, 08:42:16 am »
Stick it on Death March, it's really not that hard once you've sunk enough hours into the game to know what you're doing. Especially if you've built your character a certain way and invested in the right skills.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: March 17, 2020, 10:07:21 am »
What difficulty has everyone played this at?

I'm playing it on normal, and at level 23, it's getting to be a bit too easy. I'm beating level 30 things, which are supposed to be well beyond my capabilities, quite easily. I'm thinking of upping the difficulty but also I feel like I've come a bit too far and won't be ready for the challenge.

The problem is there isn't very much to the game at this difficulty. You get the right oil and mutagen and you can pretty much button mash your way against almost any enemy, assuming you're patient enough and do enough dodging. On the dodging, I think this is probably one of the more forgiving games for the dodge. Enemies usually take a long windup to give you time to dodge, and even when they stun you, there's usually time to get out of the way. I expect at a higher level this part will still be the case, and I'll just have to get hit less/hit the enemy more than I am now? In which case I think most fights should still be fairly manageable, except the ones against multiple enemies that do a lot of blocking.

Definitely increase the difficulty, more of a challenge, more fun, and will make the game last longer!

I really regretted not doing it sooner on my first playthrough.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #843 on: March 18, 2020, 01:22:36 am »
You can get all 3 on GOG for £11.17

£0.79 for The Witcher enhanced edition
£1.59 for Enhanced Assassins of Kings

& Wild Hunt GOTY for £8.79

Incredible deal

https://www.gog.com/promo/2020_springsale_witcher?pp=3c6f432e391069cd8aedf254af50a3497489ec17
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #844 on: April 5, 2020, 01:27:17 pm »
Finally launched this after buying it on Steam last summer and... for some reason the in-game audio isn't coming across the stream (I could hear it on the menus). So that needs sorting first.

I got all the games, so is there any benefit to playing the others first? When I set the game up it asked if I wanted to simulate a save file, I guess from the previous games. Is it like Mass Effect where it takes earlier decisions into account when playing out the plot?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: April 5, 2020, 10:42:48 pm »
Got it on sale for like 7 quid on the PSN. Haven't got round to starting it on there yet.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #846 on: April 6, 2020, 01:30:55 am »
Finally launched this after buying it on Steam last summer and... for some reason the in-game audio isn't coming across the stream (I could hear it on the menus). So that needs sorting first.

I got all the games, so is there any benefit to playing the others first? When I set the game up it asked if I wanted to simulate a save file, I guess from the previous games. Is it like Mass Effect where it takes earlier decisions into account when playing out the plot?

To be honest the first two games are a big departure from the books, you can just pick up the third and play.
:D

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: April 6, 2020, 07:31:37 pm »

Not to the same extent, no.  If you choose to simulate a save file there is a point early on in the game where a very minor character asks you some questions about choices that you made in earlier games.  How you answer affects a few bits of inconsequential dialogue later in the game and how 2 (iirc) side quests play out.  None of it affects any of the 'big picture stuff' in any way whatsoever.  In terms of the benefits of playing the first two games, you will have a better understanding of characters, their backstories along with the world and it's politics/factions.  In all honestly though, it's probably not worth the slog as the previous two games - especially the first - have not aged well.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #848 on: April 7, 2020, 11:57:00 am »
Thanks guys, I read a guide on which conversation options to choose to keep as much content open in the game as possible and have started it (and just been through that bit and watched Yennefer leave). Also got my audio problem sorted by just updating the nVidia drivers across both devices.

Is it fair to say the (modern-day) events of the Witcher TV series are approximately the events leading up to the game? The Nilfgaard invasion of the north etc?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #849 on: April 7, 2020, 03:35:27 pm »
The Witcher 3 is considerably further ahead than the TV show. You’ll discover this more as you play the games but the main 3 characters history (Geralt, Yen and Ciri) in the show has barely begun but the game there’s decade or more of it.

Also it’s worth noting the games have gone off on a tangent compared with the books so bits probably won’t add up exactly, as I think the TV show will stay more faithful to the books
« Last Edit: April 7, 2020, 03:37:15 pm by redan »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: April 7, 2020, 06:12:30 pm »
Thanks guys, I read a guide on which conversation options to choose to keep as much content open in the game as possible and have started it (and just been through that bit and watched Yennefer leave). Also got my audio problem sorted by just updating the nVidia drivers across both devices.

Is it fair to say the (modern-day) events of the Witcher TV series are approximately the events leading up to the game? The Nilfgaard invasion of the north etc?

The events set in 'the present' in the TV series such as the Slaugher at Cintra take place in 1263.  The Witcher 3 is set in 1272.  Blood and Wine takes place in 1275.

Also it’s worth noting the games have gone off on a tangent compared with the books so bits probably won’t add up exactly, as I think the TV show will stay more faithful to the books

It really hasn't though.  They've already changed an absolute load of stuff, from the plot itself to things like the nature of Nilfgaard, to getting characters completely wrong in both appearance and tone etc, etc. 
« Last Edit: April 7, 2020, 06:30:21 pm by Darren G »

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #851 on: April 7, 2020, 06:21:12 pm »
The telly program is set around the same time time as the first two books (collections of short stories) I think, but then they weren't released in chronological order anyway with The last Wish being released 2nd but being set before Sword of Destiny which was released first, then there's 6 novels with the first 5 being in chronological order, the final one was set sometime between the 2 books of short stories and first novel, the three games are chronological and are set after the telly program, if the telly program follows the books then the next series should be based on Blood of Elves which takes place around 2 years after Nilfgaard invades Cintra

Here's some events that were shown in order so you can see the timeline compared to the games

1206 Yennefer is taken to the academy
1210 Yennefer is transformed
1231 Geralt kills Renfris gang (market fight scene)
1240 Geralt meets Dandelion or whatever his name was in the telly program and starts travelling with him
1243 Geralt meets Triss and fights the striga
1250 Ciri is born
1256 The episode where Geralt & Dandelion meet Yennefer takes place
1262 The dragon hunt episode
1263 End of telly series, Nilfgaard invades Cintra, Ciri's grandma kills herself
1267 Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales takes place, the 2nd Northern War begins which is the conflict going on during the games
1268 The wild hunt abduct Yennefer to try and draw Ciri
1269 Geralt trades himself to the wild hunt for Yennefer
1270 Ciri helps Geralt escape the wild hunt, he reappears near Kaer Morhen suffering memory loss and the first witcher game takes place
1271 Witcher 2 takes place
1272 Witcher 3 takes place
1275 Blood & Wine takes place

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: April 7, 2020, 06:37:17 pm »
Minor point I realise, but it's the Third Northern War going on in the games, not the second.  The Second ends 2 year prior to Witcher 1.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #853 on: April 7, 2020, 10:25:59 pm »
Started playing through this again after finishing the game 5 years ago, still holds up as one of the best games around. Incredible.  Plus i never got to play the 2 expansion packs first time around so looking forward to content I haven't played through yet. Heads up, the game and expansion packs are going cheappppp on the PS store.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #854 on: May 10, 2020, 06:48:53 pm »
A fair way through my second playthrough, about the board the boat to Skellige. Trying to do everything as I go and pimp out my Geralt in the best gear. There's a ? Above bald mountain that I can't seem to get to, do we stumble across it as part of the main quest later?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #855 on: May 10, 2020, 06:52:11 pm »
A fair way through my second playthrough, about the board the boat to Skellige. Trying to do everything as I go and pimp out my Geralt in the best gear. There's a ? Above bald mountain that I can't seem to get to, do we stumble across it as part of the main quest later?

Yeah I’m all done on all the quests and just doing the question marks now and apparently that one...

Spoiler
You can only get it during one of the quests, the one where you have to back one of the kids to be the new ruler and you have to back the woman or it’s not gettable
[close]

So I’ll never be able to get it  ::)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: May 10, 2020, 08:14:53 pm »
Yeah I’m all done on all the quests and just doing the question marks now and apparently that one...

Spoiler
You can only get it during one of the quests, the one where you have to back one of the kids to be the new ruler and you have to back the woman or it’s not gettable
[close]

So I’ll never be able to get it  ::)

I think that you're getting confused mate.  Bald Mountain is in the south of Velen.  I believe that you're thinking of ....
Spoiler
the Coronation quest.  The site of that is Gedyneith and you don't have to back Cerys either.  Either her or Hjalmar will do. Bald Mountain has nothing to do with that quest-line though. 
[close]

Yes. Much later in the game. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:28:06 pm by Darren G »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #857 on: May 10, 2020, 08:47:13 pm »
Even through I threw countless hours into my first playthrough, I'm enjoying it so much more now. I never even used oils and potions the first time round :lmao used to chug 20 bottles of water per fight to heal etc. 

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: May 12, 2020, 09:44:18 am »
Replayed the game, done every quest and thought ill get the dlc. Started heart of stone and there's a bug on a quest thats never been fixed where a quest related diagram doesn't appear in a chest. Only solution I've seen is get a save before the quest begins. Only one I have is hours and hours of game play before. Fucking frustrating

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #859 on: May 12, 2020, 07:55:15 pm »
Replayed the game, done every quest and thought ill get the dlc. Started heart of stone and there's a bug on a quest thats never been fixed where a quest related diagram doesn't appear in a chest. Only solution I've seen is get a save before the quest begins. Only one I have is hours and hours of game play before. Fucking frustrating

What platform?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: May 13, 2020, 01:51:44 pm »

I understand your frustration, but it's probably not worth going back to your previous save as it's a bit of a nothing quest really, with a fairly mundane reward.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #861 on: September 4, 2020, 01:19:30 pm »
Next gen version coming to PS5, XBX and PC. Free to those who own the original on PS4, XB1 or PC ;D

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation
:D

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #862 on: September 4, 2020, 01:33:41 pm »
Whoah!

Although...  I own the game on Xbox One and PC, but I'm getting a PS5...  Dammit I'm gonna end up triple-dipping

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: September 4, 2020, 01:56:59 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: September 4, 2020, 08:24:59 pm »
Have it on PS4 and still haven’t played it. Tempted to play the other games in my backlog and wait for this on Ps5 as a free update.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: September 4, 2020, 08:37:32 pm »
Whoah!

Although...  I own the game on Xbox One and PC, but I'm getting a PS5...  Dammit I'm gonna end up triple-dipping

Same. Take my money.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: September 4, 2020, 08:39:56 pm »
Next gen version coming to PS5, XBX and PC. Free to those who own the original on PS4, XB1 or PC ;D

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation

Crikey, surprised they're doing this now as I was sure they'd want all the attention on Cyberpunk.

However, I was really hoping they would do this, so massilvy thrilled at that  ;D
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #867 on: September 7, 2020, 12:13:02 am »
Oh weird. Probably won't pick it up given I've just played it, but I am almost a bit regretful that I have.

Looking forward to seeing some videos of what the new version looks like.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2020, 12:18:36 am by Redcap »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: September 7, 2020, 01:47:55 am »
Oh weird. Probably won't pick it up given I've just played it, but I am almost a bit regretful that I have.

Looking forward to seeing some videos of what the new version looks like.

You do know that it's free if you already own the game, right?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: September 10, 2020, 12:22:31 am »
You do know that it's free if you already own the game, right?

Yah but I have it on Switch, so I'm not sure that applies :(

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #870 on: September 10, 2020, 02:33:18 pm »
Crikey, surprised they're doing this now as I was sure they'd want all the attention on Cyberpunk.

It's not until 2021 so they have some time yet!

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #871 on: September 10, 2020, 06:28:14 pm »
This is great news. I only finished my second play through during lockdown but was already contemplating starting it for the third time. Will probably hold off until this comes out.

This game truly is a wonderful piece of art

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: September 10, 2020, 06:39:08 pm »
Remember my first playthrough. I took my time, as I really wanted it to last as long as possible. I thought I was nearing the end of the game, then I was washed up on the shores of Skellige with the most beautiful soundtrack. Of course I was nowhere the end  ;D

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #873 on: September 15, 2020, 10:30:03 pm »
I've just started it this evening.

Really didn't think it was my bag but my best mate has been pestering me to play it for years.

As I've completed both Rdr2 and AC:Odyssey during lockdown I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Not pulling me in just yet. I'm taking the time to explore and have decided against hunting the Griffin for now.
"Salahs in here......"

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: September 15, 2020, 10:46:40 pm »

Really didn't think it was my bag but my best mate has been pestering me to play it for years.

As I've completed both Rdr2 and AC:Odyssey during lockdown I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Not pulling me in just yet. I'm taking the time to explore and have decided against hunting the Griffin for now.

Good luck  :D I've never been into RPG games, but this is something else. Also, the free expansions are amazing as well  :)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: September 16, 2020, 11:21:37 pm »

It definitely takes quite a long time to get going. For me, there's a lot about the gameplay that's not particularly cutting edge. It's basically a hack, slash and dodge game, with every other mechanic fairly secondary.

Try upping the difficulty level to 'hard' or whatever the level is above normal, but below death march. You'll find it a lot more challenging and it brings some of the mechanics into play - e.g. I don't think you really need some of the higher level abilities at all in the game without playing it on a higher difficulty.

All that said, I think once you get outside of White Orchard and into the game proper, the game will pick up significantly. There are a few main quests that are some of the best I've played in RPGs, and the two expansions each have some of the strongest content in the whole game. It does get going.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #876 on: September 16, 2020, 11:44:28 pm »
The weird thing about the Witcher 3 for me is that the story/quest stuff was so good that it basically made me overlook all the stuff I don't like in the Witcher game from the first one on. The fighting is awful, the potion/oil stuff is unnecessarily complicated, the loot is shite, some of the side stuff is plain boring and tedious. The game still managed to suck me in with great quests and great storylines.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: September 17, 2020, 12:12:17 am »
The weird thing about the Witcher 3 for me is that the story/quest stuff was so good that it basically made me overlook all the stuff I don't like in the Witcher game from the first one on. The fighting is awful, the potion/oil stuff is unnecessarily complicated, the loot is shite, some of the side stuff is plain boring and tedious. The game still managed to suck me in with great quests and great storylines.

Yeah I'd say that's mostly pretty accurate, except I'd say the fighting is too simple and all the other stuff doesn't actually make enough of a difference in terms of the outcomes to fighting. At the end of the day it's still going to be a hack, slash and dodge game. I'm sure there might be someone out there that's gone through the game purely with a crossbow or aard specialisation, but that's gotta be incredibly marginal.

Some of the best quests in any game. Incredibly well designed.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: May 28, 2021, 04:26:53 pm »
For the mega-geeks out there, there's a pretty cool looking Witcher game on kickstarter right now. Obviously destroying all of its funding targets so far.....

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #879 on: May 28, 2021, 07:46:36 pm »
For the mega-geeks out there, there's a pretty cool looking Witcher game on kickstarter right now. Obviously destroying all of its funding targets so far.....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goonboard/the-witcher/description 200k asked for, got 2m. Looks like some Dungeons and Dragons stuff.

Got the GOTY for a few quid on Xbox sale, downloaded it and my save games aren't there from the Witcher 3 game I played on Xbox Game Pass. Do I want to put another 80 hours in to get the DLC...