Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]  (Read 107347 times)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]
« Reply #880 on: May 29, 2021, 05:03:49 am »
You do know that you can just start the DLC's though, without playing the maon game, right? It'll automatically level you and give you some equipment too iirc.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #881 on: May 29, 2021, 11:57:12 am »
But then it won't be MY Geralt with all the stuff I unlocked ;D

Gonna boot it up sometime and give it another whirl.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: May 31, 2021, 05:04:38 pm »
Do I want to put another 80 hours in to get the DLC...

yes
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #883 on: June 1, 2021, 07:22:42 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goonboard/the-witcher/description 200k asked for, got 2m. Looks like some Dungeons and Dragons stuff.

Got the GOTY for a few quid on Xbox sale, downloaded it and my save games aren't there from the Witcher 3 game I played on Xbox Game Pass. Do I want to put another 80 hours in to get the DLC...

IMO the 2 DLCs are the best content in the game by a distance. At minimum I'd play half of the game again and play Hearts of Stone, and that gives you enough leveling up to skip some of the side quest-grinding from the main game you'd done before so you can just finish the story (play at a lower difficulty if you wanna rush through). Then you can play Blood and Wine, which is also sensational.

For me playing the game on Hard, the last fight in Blood and Wine was the only reeeaally challenging fight in the whole game.

Meanwhile Hearts of Stone had the best and most compelling story of any quest.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #884 on: June 1, 2021, 09:12:34 am »
Blood and Wine was absolutely amazing. I think when I bought it, it was the game and the two DLCs for about £12 and I wasn't fussed about the DLCs as I figured they were probably just pointless add-ons but that one genuinely must have more content than a lot of complete games.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #885 on: June 1, 2021, 02:13:52 pm »
I've just started it this evening.

Really didn't think it was my bag but my best mate has been pestering me to play it for years.

As I've completed both Rdr2 and AC:Odyssey during lockdown I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Not pulling me in just yet. I'm taking the time to explore and have decided against hunting the Griffin for now.

I think that it can feel a bit disjointed at first, especially if you haven't played the previous games. In my opinion it first shows it's greatness in the Bloody Baron questline. White Orchard is really just an extended intro into the World along with being a tutorial of sorts in a similar fashion to the snowy missions at the beginning of RDR2, albeit with more freedom.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2021, 02:16:01 pm by Darren G »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: June 2, 2021, 03:49:21 am »
I think that it can feel a bit disjointed at first, especially if you haven't played the previous games. In my opinion it first shows it's greatness in the Bloody Baron questline. White Orchard is really just an extended intro into the World along with being a tutorial of sorts in a similar fashion to the snowy missions at the beginning of RDR2, albeit with more freedom.

Yeah I'd agree with that. One of the issues - an issue with many games, is striking the balance between grinding/sidequesting and doing the main quests.

W3 has a lot of great sidequests, but you kinda need to get enough into the rhythm of it through the main quests before you can really enjoy it.

If I could do it all again I'd just go and get all the Places of Power and then go straight for the griffin.

I agree about the Bloody Baron questline. I think once you get to Velen and you get to control Ciri for the first time (around the same time) the game really picks up because you get a bit more of a sense of what the stakes are and the cleverness of some of the quests - which is ultimately where the game really shines.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: June 2, 2021, 09:39:12 am »
I never felt that I was Grinding with TW3 (I know that wasn't the point you were making). I think what separates it from most other open world games is the writing of the side quests. At the end of the day the underlying mechanics are pretty much the same for the vast majority of them, but they are written in such a great way that they feel unique and keep you invested. I think also that the game does a good job of slowly introducing the player into the world without giving you an overwhelming amount of information right off the bat. It's very similar to what Tolkien does in LOTR with the early chapters in The Shire. The vastness of the world and it's politics and factions are slowly introduced as the world becomes progressively more vast, both in terms of it's geography and number of characters. It's a difficult balance as you allude to, but overall I feel that CDPR does a great job of making it work and the payoff is well worth it in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2021, 03:28:40 pm by Darren G »

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #888 on: June 2, 2021, 10:05:17 am »
I love the writing and the authenticity in its delivery. Even small side-quests feels like they matter in the grand scheme. Just started on my second playthrough some weeks back and I find that I'm discovering new things, still taking my time in each area.

What I appreciate the most, is that it doesn't reveal everything to you at once. Typically, other games' maps clearly state which areas are beyond my level and more or less point out the "interesting" locations. The Witcher makes you search out those yourself, which makes it more special. Likewise, you'll find enemies in "higher levels" in all locations, even if the area itself is not.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: June 3, 2021, 10:18:00 am »
I really want to play this on PS4 but decided I'd play Witcher 2 first.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been ported to PS and I don't have an Xbox

Would diving straight into W3 lessen the experience or should I really try and play W2 somehow?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: June 3, 2021, 10:31:30 am »
I really want to play this on PS4 but decided I'd play Witcher 2 first.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been ported to PS and I don't have an Xbox

Would diving straight into W3 lessen the experience or should I really try and play W2 somehow?

What about W1 though Pete?  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: June 3, 2021, 10:44:09 am »
What about W1 though Pete?  ;D

Mate. I haven't played a game on PC for best part of 15 years!! :)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: June 3, 2021, 11:17:28 am »

I'd probably watch a YouTube compilation of the first two games. The combat in the first is vastly different and the second is quite linear compared to Witcher 3. But you come across some familiar faces from the first two and you need to know a bit more about Geralt's backstory and such. I'd still recommend the first two but if you can't then just a YouTube video would suffice.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: June 3, 2021, 11:22:23 am »
I'd probably watch a YouTube compilation of the first two games. The combat in the first is vastly different and the second is quite linear compared to Witcher 3. But you come across some familiar faces from the first two and you need to know a bit more about Geralt's backstory and such. I'd still recommend the first two but if you can't then just a YouTube video would suffice.

Nice one good idea. Will watch some backstory vids and read some articles.

Just ordered W3 off Amazon with a free 30-day Prime trial.  £12.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #894 on: June 3, 2021, 01:23:24 pm »
Nice one good idea. Will watch some backstory vids and read some articles.

Just ordered W3 off Amazon with a free 30-day Prime trial.  £12.

Did you get the GOTY edition? If not, cancel your order and download it off Playstation/Xbox as its cheap as fuck right now.

I started a new game last night (my 4th playthrough). Spent a few hours in White Orchard, first play on the Xbox Series X. My god its even more beautiful in 4k and with the short load times.

Took the Xbox up to bed and gonna have a few hours a night. Will be my first time with the DLC too, so excited.

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: June 3, 2021, 01:32:15 pm »

Seconding this. I didn't play W1 or W2 either but would definitely recommend watching a recap/"story so far" vid on YouTube. There's a lot going on!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: June 3, 2021, 02:32:50 pm »
Did you get the GOTY edition? If not, cancel your order and download it off Playstation/Xbox as its cheap as fuck right now.

I started a new game last night (my 4th playthrough). Spent a few hours in White Orchard, first play on the Xbox Series X. My god its even more beautiful in 4k and with the short load times.

Took the Xbox up to bed and gonna have a few hours a night. Will be my first time with the DLC too, so excited.

Absolute slag.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: June 4, 2021, 12:03:36 am »

You're not gonna wait for the new gen version CDPR promised to push out sometime later this year/early next year? Optimised for new hardware with raytracing etc.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #898 on: June 4, 2021, 12:23:06 am »
Oh I forgot about that.

OK maybe I'll hold off. Have they updated Cyberpunk to make it any good yet?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: June 4, 2021, 01:36:04 am »
Oh I forgot about that.

OK maybe I'll hold off. Have they updated Cyberpunk to make it any good yet?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/06/01/cyberpunk-2077-has-a-new-2021-roadmap-and-it-is-very-bad/?sh=32f0cd4f71fc

What I'm reading from this is.. no.

I suspect it'll be good in about another 12 months, after they've rolled out the DLCs and all of the fixes, and then started turning their attention to actual balances so that how you develop your character actually matters.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: June 4, 2021, 03:12:14 am »

I went into 3 without any knowledge of the previous two games and by the end it was my favorite game ever, so I wouldn't be overly concerned with catching up on the other two.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: June 4, 2021, 10:57:41 am »
I went into 3 without any knowledge of the previous two games and by the end it was my favorite game ever, so I wouldn't be overly concerned with catching up on the other two.

Yeah. It's actually not very important what happens in the other two at all. I'd say most of the Witcher lore actually happens before the events of the whole game, so even watching the TV series would be a more valuable primer.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: June 4, 2021, 12:26:19 pm »
Also if you’re worried about being lost in Witcher 3 that’s nothing compared to how you’ll feel playing Witcher 2. That game needs you have read the books, played the original AND play through the game itself twice with different choices.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: June 4, 2021, 12:42:00 pm »

Ahhh bollocks Jake. No I didn’t

It’s arriving today. GOTY edition was only another £3.50 too

Cheers for all the replies to my questions guys.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #904 on: June 4, 2021, 02:53:32 pm »
Ahhh bollocks Jake. No I didn’t

It’s arriving today. GOTY edition was only another £3.50 too

Cheers for all the replies to my questions guys.

Send it back unopened mate - distant selling regs etc.

Everything I read about the GOTY stuff, its bigger than most real games.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #905 on: June 4, 2021, 03:15:25 pm »
The GOTY edition includes both paid DLC and that's definitely the better value. From what I've read both are well worth their price. Have still not played them though...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: June 4, 2021, 03:46:46 pm »
Send it back unopened mate - distant selling regs etc.

Everything I read about the GOTY stuff, its bigger than most real games.

what you getting with GOTY that you don't get with the basic copy mate?

DLC?

Edit: Just seen this

The GOTY edition includes both paid DLC and that's definitely the better value. From what I've read both are well worth their price. Have still not played them though...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #907 on: June 4, 2021, 04:12:37 pm »
Yeah honestly mate, bit of a pain in the arse to send it back but the DLCs really are worth it
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: June 4, 2021, 04:13:52 pm »
Why don’t you just keep the game you’ve ordered then buy the dlcs separately off the PS store? Saves all the faffing about with sending the game back and waiting for the new one.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #909 on: June 4, 2021, 04:18:17 pm »
Cos theyre expensive and hes got prime anyway

Or look how cheap they are to download, sure I got mine for like 6 quid

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: June 4, 2021, 04:33:39 pm »
Why don’t you just keep the game you’ve ordered then buy the dlcs separately off the PS store? Saves all the faffing about with sending the game back and waiting for the new one.

Exactly. I'm not some billy big bollocks millionaire but I ain't faffing around for a few quid.

I'll just grab the DLC after I've played the main title

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: June 4, 2021, 04:44:35 pm »
Actually lads you have a good point.  Just looked on PS store and the expansion pass with the 2 x DLC games is £19.99

Cheaper just to buy the GOTY edition off Amazon and sell original on eBay or might do what Jake says and send it back and order GOTY

Right, how the fuck do you send something back to Amazon? :)

Edit: Sorted. GOTY edition ordered via Prime and the original title return sorted for free.  Cheers for the advice guys.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 05:25:26 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: June 4, 2021, 08:41:21 pm »
Actually lads you have a good point.  Just looked on PS store and the expansion pass with the 2 x DLC games is £19.99

Cheaper just to buy the GOTY edition off Amazon and sell original on eBay or might do what Jake says and send it back and order GOTY

Right, how the fuck do you send something back to Amazon? :)

Edit: Sorted. GOTY edition ordered via Prime and the original title return sorted for free.  Cheers for the advice guys.

Fair enough, that sounds cheaper and easier I suppose  ;D

You platinumed Dark Souls yet anyway?!  :P

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: June 5, 2021, 08:06:28 pm »
Yeah. It's actually not very important what happens in the other two at all. I'd say most of the Witcher lore actually happens before the events of the whole game, so even watching the TV series would be a more valuable primer.

Does it? What about Shani in Vizima in W1, she reappears in W3 and the DLC. Or Triss and how your earlier encounters might effect your decision making in W3. The latter did for me first playthrough and when I saw Shani again I remember first meeting her in The Witcher. Zoltan is another who you grow fond of in the first two and I felt a will to help him in Witcher 3. I watched the series but I don't remember those characters and if they were me in the series they weren't as fundamental as they were in the game. It was more centred around Ciri and Yen who don't really come to the fore till the third game.

Just me anyway but I'd of felt like I missed out not forging those relationships in the previous titles.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: June 7, 2021, 12:07:12 am »
Does it? What about Shani in Vizima in W1, she reappears in W3 and the DLC. Or Triss and how your earlier encounters might effect your decision making in W3. The latter did for me first playthrough and when I saw Shani again I remember first meeting her in The Witcher. Zoltan is another who you grow fond of in the first two and I felt a will to help him in Witcher 3. I watched the series but I don't remember those characters and if they were me in the series they weren't as fundamental as they were in the game. It was more centred around Ciri and Yen who don't really come to the fore till the third game.

Just me anyway but I'd of felt like I missed out not forging those relationships in the previous titles.

Mmm fair. Zoltan maybe. But I chose Triss anyway and I didn't feel like I'd missed out on much with Shani, not having played Witcher 1 at that point.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: June 7, 2021, 06:46:09 am »
Personally I didn't miss the 'forging a relationship' stuff in the previous games as I forged those relationships throughout 3 anyhow.  Just my personal opinion and all that mind.

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: June 11, 2021, 11:55:21 am »
I think it would have been a richer experience as a lot of the names/places still flew over my head, you don't really know the backstory with Dijkstra, Zoltan, Roche, Shani, Radovid and loads loads more. But none if it is essential, just "nice to know/remember" and tangential to the main plotlines - so I don't think it's worth playing the other two first just for backstory. I think Witcher 1 in particular, the combat is very dated.

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #917 on: June 11, 2021, 12:02:11 pm »
me right now

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: June 11, 2021, 01:29:56 pm »
Just coming to the end of Wolfenstein New Colossus then it’s time to unwrap Witcher 3 (GOTY edition!) and load that baby up.

Dark Souls remastered will have to wait a few more months. :)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #919 on: June 11, 2021, 06:36:26 pm »
Lucky man Pete.

I stopped my playthrough, waiting for the nextgen update, but I'm sorely tempted to jump back in.

What a beautiful game. Make sure you stick at it, the first few hours are basically a tutorial anyway.

And go to all the ?s on the map, especially in White Orchard, it'll get you off to a good start.