Author Topic: BT Broadband  (Read 10470 times)

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
BT Broadband
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:53:57 pm »
Has anyone in the Birkenhead (or close) area got BT Broadband? Sky are fucking me around a bit - I've suddenly endured a massive loss in download speed and they're not doing a lot to help me. Whilst I don't expect to actually get 16mb download speeds on a 16mb line, 1mb is disgraceful (even more disgraceful is the actual speed - 150kbps). Their attempts to 'help' me have consisted simply of telling me to rearrange my set up, even though I told them it's never changed and I used to get 500-600kpbs.

So I'm looking to change provider for broadband and BT look to be OK. 20MB line (ha, yeah right), home hub and an 'accelerator faceplate' (whatever one of those is). However, the speed advertised and such makes no difference unless people are actually getting decent service.

So, RAWKites (preferably those local to me), what experiences have you got with your service providers and who should I go with?

Ta.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: BT Broadband
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:56:41 pm »
BT are stable but shite.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:57:27 pm »
I'm not that close to you but never really had any problems with BT myself.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:00:59 pm »
I'm mainly interested in download speeds, to be honest. I could handle Sky being shite if I was still getting 5-600kpbs, but I'm not.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:04:04 pm »
AJ - I have had BT broadband for ages in Wirral (Greasby area) - has always been pretty good
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:05:18 pm »
Do you download much Ange?

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »
Have you tried changing the channels on your router? This happened to me. All it takes is somebody with a similar router (not necessarily Sky) to move in nearby and your speeds suddenly drop. I am more than happy with Sky to be honest and if you take their TV and phone package they are cheap as.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »
I've got the whole package with Sky and it has always been decent, granted. However, there's no sense in paying for a 16mb line and only getting a maximum download speed of 1.15mb and actual speeds of 150kbps. I'd sooner pay more for a package that gives me somewhere near what they're meant to.

However, if you told me more of this channel changing idea that could be helpful.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 02:13:05 pm »
Do you download much Ange?

Best talk to Ben about that - he does quite a bit
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:16:15 pm »
How are you measuring download speed? Broadband packages quote rates in Mbit/s or Kbit/s. Most other computing applications talk about MBytes/s or KBytes/s. 8 MBit = 1 MByte.

Because the 2 have the same initials, people get very confused. Of course Broadband suppliers pick the larger number...

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:20:20 pm »
What kind of routerr is it AJ?

And the other thing, if your line won't deliver "up to 16Mmbs" you might as well opt for the "up to 8mbs" service and save yourself a fiver a month.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 02:26:07 pm »
How are you measuring download speed? Broadband packages quote rates in Mbit/s or Kbit/s. Most other computing applications talk about MBytes/s or KBytes/s. 8 MBit = 1 MByte.

Because the 2 have the same initials, people get very confused. Of course Broadband suppliers pick the larger number...

Fuck knows. When I do a speedtest on speedtest.net I get 1.15Mb/s. When actually downloading I get 150kbps. Hopefully that means more to you than it does to me :D.

What kind of routerr is it AJ?

And the other thing, if your line won't deliver "up to 16Mmbs" you might as well opt for the "up to 8mbs" service and save yourself a fiver a month.
It's a Netgear DG834GT mate.

I've done a search on the channel changing so I'll have a little tinker with that when I get home, after changing my set up of microfilters and such. What I've read seems to indicate that if it was a channel confliction problem it would only affect my wireless connection, when in my case, even when I plug in my ethernet cable I'm getting the same result on the speed test and the same download speeds.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 02:29:41 pm »
Fuck knows. When I do a speedtest on speedtest.net I get 1.15Mb/s. When actually downloading I get 150kbps. Hopefully that means more to you than it does to me :D.

150 kBtyes/s = 1.2Mbits/s

So where do you get the actual download speed from? If they are in different units they would be entirely consistent. Do you know how far from the exchange your house is?

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 02:34:20 pm »
The actual download speed, as in the speed I'm downloading files at, is from the download manager I use. Although I get the feeling that's not what you're asking...

According to where my closest exchange is, according to www.samknows.com, I'm 0.12 miles from it.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 02:36:14 pm »
The actual download speed, as in the speed I'm downloading files at, is from the download manager I use. Although I get the feeling that's not what you're asking...

According to where my closest exchange is, according to www.samknows.com, I'm 0.12 miles from it.

It is what I am asking. Which download manager is it?

That close to the exchange, that's pretty shit. I get better down a couple of miles of cable. It smells like it is being throttled.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 02:38:34 pm »
FlashGet. Although when I download directly through my browser I get the same too.

It's also worth noting that I'm using a Rapidshare premium account, so there's no reason why I shouldn't be getting good speeds. Unless, ofcourse, they're capping it to death, or there's a problem.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 03:02:32 pm »
FlashGet. Although when I download directly through my browser I get the same too.

It's also worth noting that I'm using a Rapidshare premium account, so there's no reason why I shouldn't be getting good speeds. Unless, ofcourse, they're capping it to death, or there's a problem.

It reports in KiloBytes. Your download speed is consistent with the Speedtest so that is not an issue. Your only problem now is why both are consistently shite.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 03:07:55 pm »
Sky don't throttle. Your numbers do seem very strange, AJ.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 03:17:16 pm »
I'll be home in a bit, I'll change the set up as they told me to and I'll try channel changing.

If no luck, I'll be back :D.

Offline Stonerdude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:06 pm »
I wouldn't go with BT for what you want to download mate ;)

Be Broadband or O2 would be worth looking into. They don't throttle speeds, you can download as much as you like, they're pretty cheap and the pings are really low, good for online gaming.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 03:48:00 pm »
o2 are planning on throttling p2p and usenet between 8pm and 11pm

no biggie really but that's the plan
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Stonerdude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 03:52:00 pm »
Didn't know that, is that the same for Be as well?

3 hours of throttling is nothing really though.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 03:59:36 pm »
i've not heard anything but Be but since they're the same company i'd not be shocked, it's no bother to me, i do all my heavy downloading over night
STFU and agree with me.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »
BT are stable but shite.

Stably shite
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:21 pm »
I'm with BT, (no where near you) and the service is pretty good. I get about 5.5 Mb/s from an 8Mb connection - but I've given up trying to use torrents as BT shape their traffic a lot. Rapidshare is fine though - I get about 600 Kb/s DL using Orbit

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 04:31:00 pm »
Just got in now and changed my set up. As expected, no change. Here's the stats from the router:

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version    A2pB023b.d20e
Modem Status    Connected
DownStream Connection Speed    1344 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed    416 kbps

Will try changing the channel now.

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 04:37:22 pm »
o2 are planning on throttling p2p and usenet between 8pm and 11pm

no biggie really but that's the plan

I thought that was only on their Access package ?

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=259,E=0000000002496305940,K=6301,Sxi=4,t=broadband_case,CASE=20820

Basically if you are running off an exchange from which they use BT equipment.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=259,E=0000000002496305940,K=6301,Sxi=4,t=broadband_case,CASE=17048

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:41 pm »
Just got in now and changed my set up. As expected, no change. Here's the stats from the router:

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version    A2pB023b.d20e
Modem Status    Connected
DownStream Connection Speed    1344 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed    416 kbps

Will try changing the channel now.

BT have a decent go at estimating your speed according to the phone number

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=26957

I get a massive 3.5mb/s through O2 and that was only after fitting an BT i-plate before that it was a leisurly 1mb/s but I am a lot further away from the exchange.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7256

Good test is to plug the router straight into the master socket and leave it like that for 48 hours to see if anything is slowing it down.

The i-plate basically takes the "bell wire" out of play, there is a DIY version

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

By the way none of this may work for you but it helped out my download speeds.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 05:05:18 pm »
Great news, our even faster broadband service offering up to 20Mb is available in your area! We estimate your maximum connection speed to be 9.0Mbps (Megabits per second) which means your telephone line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
STFU and agree with me.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:00 am »
Sky are doing something on their lines called DLM.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-dlm/23760-what-dlm-everything-you-need-know.html

Seems that quite a lot of people are having issues with slow download speeds after Sky have done this, and the solution is to ring them and ask them to manually lift your speed again. Spoke to one of the first line technician guys yesterday (the ones that just read from a script) who told me that the information he had said my line could handle 8-16MB/s but what I was getting was 1.3. So he's handed it up to the next level of techies with a note on it to manually lift it to what it should be.

They'll be (hopefully) ringing me in the next 24 hours to say it's done. If not, I'm off.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 08:55:43 am »
moving house?

bit drastic don't you think?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 09:30:09 am »
I'm with BT, (no where near you) and the service is pretty good. I get about 5.5 Mb/s from an 8Mb connection - but I've given up trying to use torrents as BT shape their traffic a lot. Rapidshare is fine though - I get about 600 Kb/s DL using Orbit

BT's traffic is shaped between 5pm and Midnight. Outside those times you'll get a perfectly good speed through torrents.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 09:33:11 am »
I fully support traffic shaping during peak hours, there's no reason people can't download in the middle of the night.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 09:52:29 am »
I fully support traffic shaping during peak hours, there's no reason people can't download in the middle of the night.

But if everybody downloaded in the middle of the night...

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 09:55:25 am »
But if everybody downloaded in the middle of the night...

but not everybody will, only dead smart people like me
STFU and agree with me.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 10:32:47 am »
but not everybody will, only dead smart people like me

So you're a well dressed zombie?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 11:09:57 am »
zombies are undead
STFU and agree with me.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 11:35:29 am »
zombies are undead

They have died and are thereby dead. They are re-animated corpses. The undead is a subset of the dead.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 11:56:01 am »
Nerd
STFU and agree with me.