Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868803 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8520 on: February 14, 2023, 06:43:58 pm »
Asda mobile use the boss phone network, use them.

What's boss mate?

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8521 on: February 14, 2023, 07:35:53 pm »
I need a new phone or I wouldn't bother.

Get a refurbished phone from giffgaff and a sim only deal. Definitely won't cost more. Might be cheaper.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/refurbished
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:37:35 pm by red annie »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8522 on: February 14, 2023, 08:26:00 pm »
Get a refurbished phone from giffgaff and a sim only deal. Definitely won't cost more. Might be cheaper.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/refurbished

They're still around £450 for what I want before I start with the SIM.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8523 on: February 14, 2023, 09:08:45 pm »
What's boss mate?
Asda!

Bloody auto correct…

Get a phone separately, it will cost less over all
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8524 on: February 14, 2023, 10:34:10 pm »
I use Lebara.. sim free pay as you go.. dirt cheap and great network in Reading where I live.
Phuk yoo

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8525 on: March 17, 2023, 08:23:01 am »
Is it the 1st April when all the price hikes on contracts start?

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8526 on: March 20, 2023, 12:41:50 pm »
For me, sim only and a preowned phone is the best deal by far.

If you don't mind not having the latest handset, preowned if definitely the way to go.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #8527 on: March 21, 2023, 09:48:14 am »
Even though I don't like Apple phones, I needed one for a couple of apps for UE5. I looked around and GiffGaff had a "Good" condition iPhone XR for £179. Arrived and it's literally in perfect condition, no scuffs, no scratches. So pretty easy to get capable good condition phones. PAYG sim as well

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8528 on: March 21, 2023, 01:07:08 pm »
Any one used the Pixel 7 Pro ?  Mate of my brother is selling one and I'm tempted.  Currently using the iPhone 14 plus and I'm a bit bored truth be told, I'd keep the iPhone as a designated work phone as it works seamlessly with my Mac, but I've been kinda impressed with what I've seen regarding the Pixel.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8529 on: March 21, 2023, 08:00:24 pm »
Any one used the Pixel 7 Pro ?  Mate of my brother is selling one and I'm tempted.  Currently using the iPhone 14 plus and I'm a bit bored truth be told, I'd keep the iPhone as a designated work phone as it works seamlessly with my Mac, but I've been kinda impressed with what I've seen regarding the Pixel.

My wife has one.
Phuk yoo

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8530 on: March 21, 2023, 08:33:58 pm »

I havent got the pro but have the 7. To be honest its not much different to any of the last phones ive had. All really a muchness now.

I think the S11 is my preferred choice. I still have it but the screen is knacked and the battery was starting to go

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8531 on: March 29, 2023, 12:59:00 pm »
I've been using the Pixel Pro 7 for about a week and I'm quite impressed, my main phone is the iPhone 14 Plus for context.

The screen is great, the camera is absurdly good and it handles everything I throw at it well.  My issues with it, barring battery, are all of the iOS Vs Android kinda thing.

The battery is much worse than the 14 Plus though.  Take that off charge at 5am and it's still going a day and a half later, the pixel I have to charge but 10pm, it's not a problem if you charge your phone every night though.  I prefer Google Pay to Apple Pay which I found surprising and notifications are better on Android, although ios is catching up.

The iPhone will still be my main driver because of the whole ecosystem thing, but I'm surprised I liked it as much as I do.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8532 on: April 12, 2023, 06:38:20 pm »
I've been using the Pixel Pro 7 for about a week and I'm quite impressed, my main phone is the iPhone 14 Plus for context.

The screen is great, the camera is absurdly good and it handles everything I throw at it well.  My issues with it, barring battery, are all of the iOS Vs Android kinda thing.

The battery is much worse than the 14 Plus though.  Take that off charge at 5am and it's still going a day and a half later, the pixel I have to charge but 10pm, it's not a problem if you charge your phone every night though.  I prefer Google Pay to Apple Pay which I found surprising and notifications are better on Android, although ios is catching up.

The iPhone will still be my main driver because of the whole ecosystem thing, but I'm surprised I liked it as much as I do.

Interesting. I am considering upgrading my old S9 Galaxy whose battery is fading a bit.

Pixel 7 Pro is one of the options I am considering because camera is a big deal for me and supposedly it has one of the best systems. However, I do really value long lasting battery as I do tend to travel quite a bit and somedays work really long hours.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8533 on: April 14, 2023, 06:45:15 pm »
Mix 13 Ultra being global is going to be great

Probably won't get it -only had the Mix 4 a year

Global=no need to root it

MIUI is okay. I basically think in terms of data collection and permissions I'll end up rooting anyway

Xiaomi make the best hardware on earth
Software the community do heyyy XDA shout out same username there no gimmicks
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:57:53 pm by ToneLa »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8534 on: April 18, 2023, 06:55:09 pm »
Might get the Xiaomi 13 Ultra

Presentation was amazing

Leica themselves bragging
Digital camera blogs covering it as finally a true competitor

There's a rumoured red edition

It'll be global

Best-in-class cameras. I can vouch for the wireless and fast charging - me flat is entirely USBC or wireless now, the game has changed

Been a couple years
I been promoted
Got a raise

Leica are boasting about the Xiaomi partnership

I will root anyway but a global release is good for all you hounds who can't deal with technical responsibilities (tbf its a ballache but tb even more fair bricking a phone is a myth, I did it 4 times and always brought a phone back)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:57:46 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8535 on: April 19, 2023, 08:15:42 am »
That looks like a mutant Ring Doorbell.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8536 on: April 20, 2023, 12:06:06 am »

Presentation was amazing

It'll be global

Best-in-class cameras. I can vouch for the wireless and fast charging - me flat is entirely USBC or wireless now, the game has changed

Been a couple years
I been promoted
Got a raise

I will root anyway but a global release is good for all you hounds who can't deal with technical responsibilities (tbf its a ballache but tb even more fair bricking a phone is a myth, I did it 4 times and always brought a phone back)
Sounds like you were promoted and got a raise from Xiaomi. :D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8537 on: April 21, 2023, 08:42:00 am »
Sounds like you were promoted and got a raise from Xiaomi. :D

I wish  ;D

Have found a few other loons online who want this blower. Some willing to import the Chinese version

I am a MILD version of the Xiaomi nutter. Anyway better get up and strap on my Xiaomi brand puffer jacket

https://xiaomipedia.com/en/p/90fun-90-points-light-and-seamless/

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8538 on: April 21, 2023, 10:28:33 pm »
I wish  ;D

Have found a few other loons online who want this blower. Some willing to import the Chinese version

I am a MILD version of the Xiaomi nutter. Anyway better get up and strap on my Xiaomi brand puffer jacket

https://xiaomipedia.com/en/p/90fun-90-points-light-and-seamless/
Im changing in a few months and I’ve recommended their mid range phones to family but I dunno. Will need to look into how they are for updates compared to google/samsung. I’ve never gone with Samsung before but will strongly consider the s23 plus if the price is right at the time.

Will be waiting to see what the pixel 8 pro is like before deciding though. I have the 6 now and love it but the battery life is average for nowadays on this and the 7 range which is a deal breaker when there’s a few phones that will get two days with my sort of usage. Don’t care about power of the chip but do want a telephoto camera which is missing from the normal 6 and 7. The pixel call features and other translation stuff has come in handy a few times as well. It also hasn’t slowed down a bit in the 2 years I’ve had it which is something I’ve not seen on other android phones.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8539 on: April 21, 2023, 10:33:09 pm »
I have the 7 Pro, I'll take it off battery at 5am, above average usage I'd guess, and the battery is on about 40% at 8pm when I plonk it on the charger.  I'm normally an iPhone person, but I really like the 7 Pro.

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8540 on: April 21, 2023, 11:02:45 pm »
I have the 7 Pro, I'll take it off battery at 5am, above average usage I'd guess, and the battery is on about 40% at 8pm when I plonk it on the charger.  I'm normally an iPhone person, but I really like the 7 Pro.
That would suit me down to the ground to be honest. Do you have any idea of the screen on time? On normal days my battery is fine on the 6, I’m in no way a power user and charge it at around 20% to 90 odd % and that does me the till the next day. When away from early recently I took it off charge at 7 ( 100%) one morning and with a fair bit of usage  it had about 3% at 10 the next morning. I haven’t noticed any degradation it just seems like it’s always been that way. Charging speeds are annoying though since my last phone the huwawei p30 pro was more than twice as fast.

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8541 on: June 12, 2023, 02:18:24 pm »
I’ve been a iPhone user for 10 years+ and currently have the iPhone 11. Debating having a change and going for an android, the Samsung s23 seems to be getting rave reviews so potentially going to go for this. Just looking for any feedback from anyone that has this phone? I am tempted to stay with IPhone and get the 14 but it’s more expensive so not sure it would be worth while.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8542 on: June 15, 2023, 03:29:22 pm »
Going to be taking the plunge with a Samsung S23 Ultra soon, just waiting for a mega deal to come out. Had a Note 9 for 4 years and it's been great, just starting to have battery issues now.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8543 on: June 15, 2023, 07:54:45 pm »
Mi 13 Ultra is marvellous, have got a cheap transparent case for a fiver off ebay because I bought the fellow in yellow

Haven't rooted it yet - might not, the Chinese interruptions are minimal. Firefox mobile supports most of the adblocking stuff I want

Natwest app works

Camera is superb for a phone which is why I bought it

Here's to happy days with the fellow

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8544 on: July 1, 2023, 02:28:59 pm »
Mi 13 Ultra is marvellous, have got a cheap transparent case for a fiver off ebay because I bought the fellow in yellow

Haven't rooted it yet - might not, the Chinese interruptions are minimal.
Firefox mobile supports most of the adblocking stuff I want

Natwest app works

Camera is superb for a phone which is why I bought it

Here's to happy days with the fellow

How do you know that? Just curious, since you take an interest in the technical side.

I ran a packet capture app years ago ( through phone vpn) on a few phones - the redmi note was the busiest at calling 'home' ( it was a xiaomi server in singapore iirc) in comparison to Samsung and a couple of other non China brands. Think there was a OnePlus but this was before the Oppo merger.

All unrooted. For best packet capture you would probably have to run wireshark on your computer, set up a hotspot and have your phone connect there?

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8545 on: July 2, 2023, 10:55:32 am »

Presentation was amazing

It'll be global

Been a couple years
I been promoted
Got a raise

You would buy a Chinese phone?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8546 on: July 5, 2023, 09:40:34 am »
How do you know that? Just curious, since you take an interest in the technical side.

install Fdroid then Adaway and you can see a live list of where your phone is sending data to. Then you can block them.

Pretty much packet analysis like you said

I ran a packet capture app years ago ( through phone vpn) on a few phones - the redmi note was the busiest at calling 'home' ( it was a xiaomi server in singapore iirc) in comparison to Samsung and a couple of other non China brands. Think there was a OnePlus but this was before the Oppo merger.

All unrooted. For best packet capture you would probably have to run wireshark on your computer, set up a hotspot and have your phone connect there?

;D might do this, sounds even further in that direction

There is some China phone home stuff going on. Less than I expected.

I don't wanna root yet. If I can't get any home games AGAIN I'm going for it though

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8547 on: July 7, 2023, 08:03:40 pm »
You would buy a Chinese phone?
Why wouldn’t anyone?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8548 on: July 14, 2023, 12:07:11 pm »
Is there a website that lists phones by size (dimensions)?

My lovely small phone is getting too old. :(
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8549 on: July 14, 2023, 12:21:13 pm »
Is there a website that lists phones by size (dimensions)?

My lovely small phone is getting too old. :(

gsmarena always.

I have been using it since 2012.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8550 on: July 14, 2023, 12:22:29 pm »
gsmarena always.

I have been using it since 2012.

Thanks, will have a look. :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #8551 on: July 14, 2023, 01:46:28 pm »
Are there any companies still putting headphone jacks on their phones? I don't use headphones often enough to pay stupid money for wireless ones, let alone the faff of remembering where they are or keeping them charged. I've had a good wired pair I've used on every holiday for years, but now I'm struggling to find an upgrade that will let me carry on with them.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8552 on: July 14, 2023, 02:14:10 pm »
Thanks, will have a look. :)

GSMArena is the only site you will ever need IMO

Just.. ignore the user comments  ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8553 on: July 14, 2023, 05:54:15 pm »
GSMArena is the only site you will ever need IMO

Just.. ignore the user comments  ;D

Its weird I have never come across it before!
Though I've realised I'm only on my third-ever smart phone, thats probably why. ;D

Stupidly it seems there is nothing close to my six year old phone :(

I have a galaxy a3, its only got 16GB memory, and I have to remove stuff every morning because its running out of space. I've moved everything I can to the SD card, but there's still only less than 1 GB free, and I can't really install any new apps

There aren't any phones as small as it, and anything even close is nearly as old, or has worse cameras and screens. :-\
(And no, I don't want a iphone.)

Why the fook are all new phones that big?!?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8554 on: July 14, 2023, 05:55:01 pm »
Are there any companies still putting headphone jacks on their phones? I don't use headphones often enough to pay stupid money for wireless ones, let alone the faff of remembering where they are or keeping them charged. I've had a good wired pair I've used on every holiday for years, but now I'm struggling to find an upgrade that will let me carry on with them.

The phone finder on GSMarena has a box for headphone jacks, so you could look on there

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #8555 on: July 14, 2023, 06:59:38 pm »
The phone finder on GSMarena has a box for headphone jacks, so you could look on there

Ta.

I'm also on the 'phone has to be used in one hand and fit easily into the average pocket' hunt. I don't use my phone for games, or watching videos (except on a flight), I can't believe the bricks some people carry around.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8556 on: July 14, 2023, 07:36:35 pm »
If you're after a compact phone that has a headphone jack the Asus Zenfone seems to be very highly rated in that category.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8557 on: July 15, 2023, 11:06:44 am »
Ta.

I'm also on the 'phone has to be used in one hand and fit easily into the average pocket' hunt. I don't use my phone for games, or watching videos (except on a flight), I can't believe the bricks some people carry around.

Me too.  Can't believe how small some people hands are these days.  My s22 ultra is perfectly easy to use one handed.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8558 on: July 15, 2023, 02:23:35 pm »
Why wouldn’t anyone?

Dodgy Chinese tech.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 02:27:39 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8559 on: July 16, 2023, 03:04:17 pm »
While technically the sound quality is inferior Bluetooth vs wired I think being someone who mixes semi-professionally it's a bit overwrought and I had to abandon headphone jacks because the industry forced me into it, and Bluetooth is good enough now

You do you

So not a 'don't bother post' at all, but just saying, I didn't look back when changing, especially for running..

You can get USBC to headphone jack converters btw. I find them variable, a little quiet. But they do work.