Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129583 times)

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2010, 12:16:41 am »
And when exactly convinced you that he is a poor signing, over priced and on high wages. As far as I remember, there was a 'Our new Brazilian RB' thread that did the rounds for quite a while.

The big question is, what's a RB supposed to do to be considered a good one.

defend first and foremost

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2010, 12:17:01 am »
I'm not sure Hodgson should be saying this in public but I agree with his sentiments.  If a club offered £10m for Johnson I'd take it, the only reason he's England right back is because he has no competition.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2010, 12:17:06 am »
make them stronger? have you seen him defending?

Johnson would be a clear improvement on Hutton ... I can understand that you hate Rafa and his signings, but please try to use your brain from time to time ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline JM10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2010, 12:17:07 am »
I agree with him cos Johnson is playing like a pub player instead of englands first choice right back. and if rumours are true he is skulking about waiting on a move back south ASAP. Was a poor signing by Rafa - vastly overpriced imo

He was only overpriced because Portsmouth owed us something like 7 mil for Crouch. Chelsea were prepared to pay the same amount as us, yet in reality we actually got him for about 11 mil as we wrote off what they owed us. Still a lot of money for a full back, although I believe he could have developed to be excellent for us with Mascherano covering for him. Unfortunately this didn't happen, and he still has a lot to prove.
Twitter

Betfair referral code: 7X3XLFRPH

Offline Stigathedump

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2010, 12:17:30 am »
I agree with Roy

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:31 am »
Where's the arm around Johnson's shoulder? ::) Pot, kettle comes to mind.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:50 am »
Not sure how Roy has got his arm 'round his shoulder when he rips Glen and defends a much worse Poulsen.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:52 am »
please don't mention johnson in the same post as alves

you're ridiculous... :)
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Bonaqua

• Kopite
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:52 am »

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2010, 12:19:07 am »
defend first and foremost

The problem isn't Johnson's defending, the problem is how the team is setup and the poor tactics of not trying to have more than 60% possession.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2010, 12:19:31 am »
In one game in the recent past?

Rumors about Johnson ''skulking about waiting on a move back south ASAP"???

I think the last 'sentence' is the long and the short of it. You're just an anti-Benitez fanatic, aren't ya?

No I am just not a worshipper of Rafa like a lot on here. He signed players like Johnson, using a lot of the kitty, and they have not performed. Add to that Robbie Keane & Aquilani and add the wasted millions up

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2010, 12:20:07 am »
I agree with him cos Johnson is playing like a pub player instead of englands first choice right back. and if rumours are true he is skulking about waiting on a move back south ASAP. Was a poor signing by Rafa - vastly overpriced imo

Really?  Would be helpful if you could provide a link to this source so that I could check it out.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 13, 2010, 12:20:23 am »
The problem isn't Johnson's defending, the problem is how the team is setup and the poor tactics of not trying to have more than 60% possession.

He cannot defend. He is too rash in the tackle and his distribution is awful

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
« Reply #173 on: November 13, 2010, 12:20:23 am »
Obviously Glen hasn't been up to his usual standard, but Hodgson can't criticise him whilst popping on the rose specs whilst watching some of our other players. I would suggest that he doesn't have the balls to criticise or drop Carragher, but I think he legitimately believes he's been playing well this season.

Johnson is just one of our many players who doesn't fit into the rubbish system we're currently playing. Can you imagine if he'd been in our side during the 2008-2009 season? Although Arbeloa was a great player for us, Johnson sure would've come in handy breaking down the teams we drew against.

Offline revelationx

• Kopite
« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2010, 12:20:29 am »
Johnson has been one of our best attacking forces this season. Right at the start when Torres was still coming back from his World Cup injury, a lot of the attacking impetus was generated by Johnson. He did give away one penalty against Blackpool but has otherwise been one of our few goal threats this season. At this early  point of the season, J Cole was suspended, Maxi was rubbish, Jova was coming to grips with English football and Gerrard was in CM. Kuyt had injured himself playing for Holland.  We were playing Agger or Kelly at LB and consequently all our attacking width came from Johnson. As far as I can recall, Johnson then got injured himself and has been out for a few weeks now.

Why the manager would find it beneficial to suddenly criticise Johnson is baffling. Johnson has not had poor form recently as he has been injured. I cannot imagine Wenger publicly slaughtering a player like this without warrant. It just seems to be another stupid interview that undermines one of our players' confidence in themselves and the manager. Kelly has performed well but let's not proclaim him ready to usurp Johnson's place in the England squad just yet.

Hodgson seriously needs to learn when to STFU as he just makes things worse with each press-conference. He is supposed to be building up our players confidence. I do believe Shankly found that this did actually work to improve performances. Yet again Hodgson does something that confounds me.

Online jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2010, 12:20:56 am »

yep - the likes of Alves would look awful in this side, absolutely awful.  We don't employ modern tactics so a modern full back looks out of place. 

Offline vitri

• Pool Baron (on away goals). Shit scared of Enemy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pro-Rafa. Hates it when people say "EPL"
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2010, 12:21:00 am »
I find it quite odd that he's openly attacked Glen, while at the same time, and on the same day defending Poulsen.

This.

I'm quite angry at these comments. Yes, Johnson was overpriced. That's in the past. So he's not been playing well? Tell him privately to buck his ideas up, or put your arm around hi shoulder. Don't air dirty linen in public. And if you are going to do it, have some consistency about it and don't go protecting someone else who's low on form just because you were the one that bought him.

I don't rate Poulsen by the way, but I do feel sorry for him. It's ability rather than effort that I see lacking, and so he's going to be made a scapegoat through no fault of his own. If I was signed by Roy right now and played as a regular I'd make an idiot of myself on the pitch because I'm clearly not a Premiership footballer. I'd be a fool to turn the opportunity down though.
Everything has an end, only the sausage has two

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2010, 12:21:17 am »
Really?  Would be helpful if you could provide a link to this source so that I could check it out.

I have not got a link. I would bet he will be on his way in January - any takers?

Offline dane

• Kopite
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2010, 12:21:21 am »
This kind of stuff should be dealt with behind closed doors.  If Roy wants to have a quiet word with him, so be it, but publicly criticising the form of a player who isn't even fit enough to raise his level at the moment is counter productive.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2010, 12:21:51 am »
I feel a bit sorry for Johnson. He's not playing that well but Roy's style isn't really set up for an attacking fullback like Johnson which means his defensive limitations have been highlighted. Kuyt's also been injured and he would provide some much needed insurance for Johnson to play his natural game. Having said all that, he's had some injury problems and has played only a few games for us. It's it's ridiculous that people are calling him 'shite' because he clearly isn't.

That Hodgson has come out and said this is a bit daft because it doesn't help anyone, least of Glen because I'm sure he just wants to get playing and get some form back and this isn't exactly the type of comment that would encourage him.

Also, those that are using this thread to attack our previous manager need to grow up.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:23:22 am by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2010, 12:22:31 am »
Johnson has been one of our best attacking forces this season.

Sorry, but that almost puts the argument to bed. 

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2010, 12:22:44 am »

Oh really, actually he cannot run, walk or even crawl. You are right, sell the over priced piece of shite and stick Carra in there for all eternity. In the meanwhile, Kelly will be a decent understudy to how not to cross the halfline and how to clear the ball first and foremost.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2010, 12:23:14 am »
Never said he was but he could be in the near future thats for sure.

At this moment Kelly is more solid and Johnson has been making too many mistakes.
Fordy mate, Kelly's a kid who's doing well. Nobody in their right mind tosses away the best attacking right back in the country and leaves the job in the hands of a kid who's bound to suffer some sort of injury, bad run of form, dip in confidence or a roasting somewhere in the season.

What I think Roy should be questioning is why isn't the best attacking right back in the country playing well for him, in his teams, under his tictacs. Okay. On the sly, I just answered it anyway. And besides, here's what happened last time he was questioned about what he did to an attacking full back....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hKvNoqgDX0&playnext=1&list=PL3FE881DEA4A6E263&index=58

So, not much point I suppose.

"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2010, 12:23:27 am »

ROFL.

I've seen him making numerous last ditch tackles to deny the opposition a tap-in, both last year and this year.

if there is anything with his defending, it's confidence and positional sense. he is a great tackler

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2010, 12:23:35 am »

How has his distribution been awful? If you care to look at the charts you'd see that the only passes he actually misses are the crosses into the box when all he has is Torres being defended by about 4 men.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2010, 12:23:38 am »

I still don't really believe this, to me it's just the standard commentators line that comes out whenever he has a poor game.

For me, Johnson can defend well and his distribution has been generally good.  The problem is the consistency and I think that's the point Roy is making (as mentioned earlier if true, I don't agree with making a manager making this point in public) in a slightly cack handed way

Online jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:07 am »
I have not got a link. I would bet he will be on his way in January - any takers?

Fingers crossed, with any luck we can wrestle Luke Young away from Villa at the second attempt.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:22 am »
No I am just not a worshipper of Rafa like a lot on here. He signed players like Johnson, using a lot of the kitty, and they have not performed. Add to that Robbie Keane & Aquilani and add the wasted millions up
~£5M?
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:24 am »
Oh really, actually he cannot run, walk or even crawl. You are right, sell the over priced piece of shite and stick Carra in there for all eternity. In the meanwhile, Kelly will be a decent understudy to how not to cross the halfline and how to clear the ball first and foremost.

Now you're getting carried away

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:42 am »
Can't fathom how many of our "supporters" thinks it's acceptable for our manager to publicly criticise a player to this extent, mind boggling. Glen clearly knows he hasn't played to his potential when he's featured this season, he sure as fuck doesn't need Roy heaping more pressure on him by slating him to the press.

Offline The Light

• but not the one at the end of the tunnel.
  • Main Stander
  • ...But the one lurking behind you
« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2010, 12:25:02 am »
I really don't know how you can get the best out of a player by publicly humiliating them like that. Roy, you really are a nobhead.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2010, 12:25:06 am »
Now you're getting carried away

I hope you see the irony of what you just posted.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2010, 12:25:39 am »
I feel a bit sorry for Johnson. He's not playing that well but Roy's style isn't really set up for an attacking fullback like Johnson which means his defensive limitations have been highlighted. Kuyt's also been injured and he would provide some much needed insurance for Johnson to play his natural game. Having said all that, he's had some injury problems and has played only a few games for us. It's it's ridiculous that people are calling him 'shite' because he clearly isn't.

That Hodgson has come out and said this is a bit daft because it doesn't help anyone, least of Glen because I'm sure he just wants to get playing and get some form back and this isn't exactly the type of comment that would encourage him.

Also, those that are using this thread to attack our previous manager need to grow up.

Agree with each of your points Hazell but I do think Johnson is/ should be good enough to adapt to the system.  The major change which has effected his play for me is the loss of the cover from Masch

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2010, 12:26:58 am »
At the end of the day he's got 12 points out of 15.  Since we got rid of G&H we've lost once out of six in the league (more if you wanna include the Europa), and that was the first game immediately after the takeover.  Admitedly painfull, as it was against Everton.

And how many games has Johnson played in that period? 
One, against Napoli, when  the entire team had a shite first half.

You said before that maybe Hodgson's tried the arm round the shoulder. If he tried it since the beginning of October, Johnson's not really had the chance to show an improvement as he?

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2010, 12:27:08 am »
It might get the best out of him you never know .
What when he's injured?

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2010, 12:27:08 am »
ROFL.

I've seen him making numerous last ditch tackles to deny the opposition a tap-in, both last year and this year.

if there is anything with his defending, it's confidence and positional sense. he is a great tackler

bit of a drawback that for a defender

Online jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2010, 12:27:10 am »
he sure as fuck doesn't need Roy heaping more pressure on him by slating him to the press.

Particularly as he's currently out injured so can do absolutely fck all about his "form" anyway.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2010, 12:27:23 am »
Can't fathom how many of our "supporters" thinks it's acceptable for our manager to publicly criticise a player to this extent, mind boggling. Glen clearly knows he hasn't played to his potential when he's featured this season, he sure as fuck doesn't need Roy heaping more pressure on him by slating him to the press.

Nearly all managers do this at some point or another, there are plenty of examples out there.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2010, 12:27:48 am »

Also, those that are using this thread to attack our previous manager need to fucking grow up.

Johnson's season reached it's low with his tackle on that Blackpool player for the most blatent pen ever in front of the kop.  Sorry, that sounds sensationalist, but he's been dire this term.  Usually you can overlook his defensive weakneses due to his attacking abilities, but the latter has been absent this term.

Also, your comment re using this thread to attack a previous manager could also be swung around.  It's a bit poor to use a comment from todays manager which may have been intended to 'motivate' said player as yet another reason to crucify him.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2010, 12:28:47 am »
bit of a drawback that for a defender

Would be (arguably on occasion is) a drawback for a player like Torres too - doesn't make him a bad player