Author Topic: Transfer Round Up Round Table  (Read 21534 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Transfer Round Up Round Table
« on: September 1, 2011, 09:34:15 am »
Headlines and Deadlines: The window's shut, the sill is full, the glass is wiped and Kenny's no longer on the pull...
Fill in your own transfer day deadline metaphor here, but you get the idea. Not really a frenetic summer of transfer dealings and for once no shocking "Gerrard to Darlington" - I won't go, me dad told me not to" headlines, just Raul Meireles waking up and shouting "I must see Fernando, he owes me £20" at the last minute and Kenny clearly thinking "You should be honoured to play for us, if £35k a week's not enough, tatty bye"

So Henderson, Adam, Downing, Seb getme Coates, Enrique Inglesias, and a host of others (including the golfer C.Bellamy), I've probably forgotten, have come in whilst Raul, lil Joe Cole (he score one goal), Ngog, Degen (was he still here?), Andy Carroll's stunt double to Wolfsburg, et al (did we have an Al? Seems likely given we've squad numbers beyond 203) have gone, saving us about £90000 a week in Cole's terms and about £90 cumulative for the rest.

So...
Good/Bad business?

Who would we have liked that we missed? (Yossi back? Scott Parker? That kind of thing, not fantasy footy)

And what does it say about Kenny and Comolli's relationship the way its panned out?

For me Kenny seems to be going for a strong British squad, and has a team that is strong in midfield, young in defence and still a little lightweight in attack unless you move Dirk up front when Luis is resting... (incidentally, all the lil Lius that have played for Liverpool have been little, lithe and called Luis....)

thoughts the day after the madness and dust settles please.

(Here's the full list, thanks to Phil M)
IN:
Charlie Adam (from Blackpool)
Jordan Henderson (from Sunderland)
Stewart Downing (from Aston Villa)
Doni (from AS Roma)
Jose Enrique (from Newcastle United)
Sebastian Coates (from Nacional)
Villyan Bijev (from California Odyssey)
Craig Bellamy (from Manchester City)

Loans:
Alberto Aquilani (loaned to AC Milan)
Joe Cole (loaned to Lille)
Dani Pacheco (loaned to Atletico Madrid)
Stephen Darby (loaned to Rochdale)
Peter Gulasci (loaned to Hull City)
Villyan Bijev (loaned to Fortuna Dusseldorf)

OUT:
Raul Meireles (to Chelsea)
David Ngog (to Bolton Wanderers)
Sotirios Kyrgiakos (to Vfl Wolfsburg)
Christian Poulsen (to Evian)
Milan Jovanovic (to Anderlecht)
Paul Konchesky (to Leicester City)
Emiliano Insua (to Sporting CP)
Daniel Ayala (to Norwich)
Nabil El Zhar (Released)
Thomas Ince (to Blackpool)
Gerard Bruna (to Blackpool)
Chris Mavinga (to Stade Rennais)
Philippe Degen (Released)
Deale Chamberlain (Released)
Dean Bouzanis (Released)
Steven Irwin (Released)
Alex Cooper (Released)
Nicola Saric (released)

« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 10:25:46 am by hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Transfer Round Up Round Table
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2011, 10:01:41 am »
I'm delighted. A lot of people seem to be really downbeat after Meireles jumped ship at the last minute, but with Gerrard back, I was truly wracking my brains to see where he was going to fit in. And when you get offered £13m for a player surplus to requirements, you have to grab it with both hands.

I guess it does mean we are going to be asking Spearing and Shelvey to step up a little, but both are more than capable, as the former in particular demonstrated last year. I actually see Jonjo as a pretty similar asset to Raul too. They share the same strengths and struggle with the same weaknesses - good footballing brains, tactically a little naive, in short.

We'll have a lot of people question the philosophy behind investing so heavily in Henderson and Carroll still, but Jose Enrique, Charlie Adam and Seb Coates are absolutely magnificent pieces of business at around £20m for the trio. Add Craig Bellamy to the mix and we've been very, very efficient. There's a lot of talk of how we've managed to reduce the wage bill so drastically that we've actually turned a few million quid profit. If that's the case, you have to take your hat off to the job that has been done behind the scenes this summer. It really was extraordinary. And if we manage to get Champions League footy with the squad we've assembled to act as our foundation a year from now, it's beyond what anybody could have hoped for.

royhendo

« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2011, 10:38:20 am »
Don't think you could have summed it up any better Gartstonite. What strikes me looking back on it is how good a job Dan Kennett did in his analysis in June on the subject.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/06/fair-play-for-fenway/

In the article, Dan outlines how, in their pursuit of a optimum sustainable model that meets the constraints of the Financial Fair Play rules, FSG will be likely to consider the two axes plotted in the following graph (the objective measure of "Long-Term Player Commitment" - years of contract left x annual salary, and the subjective measure of "Long Term Player Value" - this is the bit that's harder to second guess, because it takes a stab at how the club values players - age, quality, resilience to injury, and so forth).

By its nature, it's arbitrary in that it includes that subjective element... but what jumps out at you regardless, is that the players we've moved on and the players we've brought in (along with their reported salaries) point at the pursuit of exactly that type of sustainable model.

That analysis maybe isn't for everyone's palate, but what's obvious is that certain 'outlying' players affecting things not just on the footballing side, but in the accounts as well.

With that in mind, we can maybe guess at how things will go over the coming windows and seasons. Overall though, it's set a tremendous foundation for the work to come, hasn't it? I was in the 'glass half full' camp before it all started anyway, and all I'd hoped for were big strong lads that played with their head up, could move it one or two touch, and who didn't understand the concept of a treatment room.

We now find ourselves with a massive big physical side of the kind that only Stoke can really rival in physical terms, married with genuine quality and commitment to the cause... and all that for reasonable value, funded from our operating profit, and with a massive reduction in the wage outlay.

Yes, there are still stones in the shoe: Cole still takes a wage from us, for example - but you couldn't reasonably have hoped for much more, could you?

Absolutely delighted, and genuinely excited both for the short term (we've signed proven quality), and about what Coates in particular might add long-term.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 06:55:15 pm by royhendo »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2011, 11:37:37 am »
We now find ourselves with a massive big physical side of the kind that only Stoke can really rival in physical terms, married with genuine quality and commitment to the cause... and all that for reasonable value, funded from our operating profit, and with a massive reduction in the wage outlay.

Pacier than in the past, too.

The boardroom philosophy at the club appears to go with the philosophy of the manager rather serendipitously. The owners believe success is predicated on more than flashing the cash or they wouldn't have taken us on. Kenny appears to believe in a tight, unified, harmonious squad. He wants to be Uruguay when we're competing in a league with an Argentina or a Brazil.

I've been on too many ups and downs with this heart-stoppingly beautiful and simultaneously infuriating football club to rashly declare myself zippa-dee-do-dah with Comolli and the transfer window, as it almost tempts fate, but the plan so far looks good, no?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2011, 12:34:07 pm »
For the first time I can remember, board and management pulled in the same direction and to devastating effect. I don't care about how other clubs see our dealings, we went in for what we needed and not to compete in the glamour stakes.

I said during the summer that we had the nucleus of a good squad, a lot of players already here who may not be new but certainly have plenty to offer. I listed who I wanted to see leave (in an ideal situation) and amazingly we've gotten rid of pretty much all of them, at least for the season. I qualified it by saying if we did have such a turnover that this season would be very much a transitional one but despite some unconvincing periods in our first 3 matches, we've looked quite tidy in the league.

Discussing this on Twitter, hooded claw and I agreed that if we were greedy we'd go in for yet one more centre back and another attacking player - that we both agreed that without those signings it wouldn't be a disaster speaks volumes about how we've managed to improve the side as well as the squad in just one summer. Signing Bellamy is a good short term step. I was disappointed rumours of Afellay didn't have any substance to them but hopefully it means that we're biding our time for the right player in January or next summer.

Most importantly, my hope is that this summer proves that Henry understands that the squad needs to be competitive and not just the first XI. One of the problems Rafa suffered was trying to strengthen while still being able to rotate. If we can keep all our players happy (bye Raul) and hungry, the days of being creative for the sake of saving a few bob are hopefully behind us.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »
As G&H era drew to a close our transfer policy was obviously being distorted by the financial mess they had created and for me the highlight of this transfer window was seeing the owners and manager pulling in the same direction. With the debt crisis within football this was an increasingly rare sight outside of the Chelsea/ Man Cities of the world and it's nice to see it happening at our club.

Generally I'm pleased with our acquisitions although I've got to be honest and say that Henderson and Seb Coates were not really on my radar but you can see a process happening were we identify a weakness area and go and address it by acquiring someone who can address's the weakness. having watched us this season the two players that have stood out for me are Enrique and Downing both of these players have had me really excited flair players with commitment and intelligence. Bellamy makes sense as cover for the forward line and as someone who is both cheap versatile and more importantly can change a game.

After reading some of the financial stuff knocking around (a throwback to our fight is i can't ignore this boring shite any more :D ) what has impressed me is the way we've got rid of some of the deadwood and players who were draining the wage bill were dispatched because many were sitting on expensive contracts, long-term we all realise the new owners aren't just going to throw money around like the benefactors City have attracted and this will be important to allow us to invest on new acquisitions but ultimately we now are going to have to do it on the pitch for any plans to come to fruition and watching us passing in all areas of the pitch in that first half against Sunderland was enough to convince me we're building a decent team despite the ups and downs that are part of building any good side. But how nice is it to concentrate on the football after all the shite we were subjected to during Hicks and Gilettes custodianship?
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2011, 04:24:12 pm »
I'm very pleased. We have more pace in the team than before and we have more balance. I also think we have more skill.

We all more or less grumbled last year about the left-back situation. That's now been filled. And how! Luis Enrique will soon be playing for Spain. He's that good. We also complained about the lack of width and now we have Downing. Is there a better wide player in the Premier League? I don't know of one. It certainly isn't Ashley Young. Possibly Gareth Bale, though I wouldn't swap. I think we're all impressed by how brilliantly he has started. He just looks a Liverpool player to me and you can tell Suarez is impressed with him. Suarez has played with lots of good players at Ajax and with Uruguay but I doubt he's been supported by someone as quick and forceful as Downing. This axis looks good to me. If we do well this year it will, in large part, be due to how well Downing and Suarez have combined.

Charlie Adam? I'm holding my fire, partly because none of us know how central midfield will operate when Steven gets back. Is Kenny wedded to starting him in the middle? If so will he pair Gerrard with Adam? It's a possibility I think. And if it does happen and Lucas is moved to the bench then I'd be obviously less enthralled with that bit of transfer business. So far Kenny has bought for the starting eleven. He hasn't bought for the bench. That would be my worry about Adam - that he's here to replace Lucas. Anyone else share that fear or am I being too gloomy?

Jordan Henderson is raw isn't he? But he's got bags of potential. He knows where to run when we have the ball but his positioning when the opposition have it is often badly wrong. But I like the way he's been shoved into the starting XI and essentially told to think of himself as a big-money signing not a kid who is on an apprenticeship. Good work by Kenny.

And then Coates. I've only seen the youtube collections and like everyone else on youtube he looks to be the best player in the world. But you cannot knock his record. More importantly his arrival at least addresses one of the big problems for me - who is going to play alongside Agger? I dont expect Coates will walk into the team. Does anyone? But I'm hoping Jamie's automatic position is under threat before too long (that Bolton cock-up at the end is happening quite a lot these days). Plus Skrtel is ok, but nothing more than ok. The worry about Coates would be that he will have far more to do than he's used to doing over 90 minutes. This can be a massive shock to overseas centre backs playing English league football. But if he meets our high expectations then Liverpool will be a serious team because the weaknesses from last season will all have been addressed.

Bellamy? Like him. Should have started in Athens. Didn't want to see him go. 

As for the fond farewells. Apart from Pacheco I won't miss any - including Meireles: a decent player but I'd rather have Maxi. And we do have Maxi so that's ok.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

royhendo

« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2011, 06:56:27 pm »
I love how we all call Jose Enrique "Luis" btw. It's like our brains are hard wired to do it. :D

On Adam, I have to say I think Kenny would only risk that against sides you might perceive as cannon fodder, if at all. Lucas is the fulcrum of the side, without any doubt. I think his name's on the team sheet before Charlie's.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 06:59:48 pm by royhendo »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2011, 07:36:22 pm »
I love how we all call Jose Enrique "Luis" btw. It's like our brains are hard wired to do it. :D

Ha ha, that's me. It's true. Free will doesn't come into it.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2011, 08:14:12 pm »
Ha ha, that's me. It's true. Free will doesn't come into it.

He'll always be Luis Enrique to me, too. The versatile little scamp.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »
I'm very happy with our business this Summer.

The most important thing for me is that we've adressed every single position that needed reinforcing in the side. Left back, Center Back, Left Wing, Creative midfield, Right attacking midfield and backup striker.

Every single player we've brought in, is better and in some cases miles better than anything we had before (apart from one which I'll come to a bit later)

This is a hugely positive thing. The last Summer transfer window where we actually improved on the players we let go was in 2007. Since then, every Summer, for a myriad of reasons, we traded down i.e. spent money (and alot of it sometimes) on players that were worse than the players we let go. From Dossena for Riise, Keane for Crouch, Aquilani for Xabi, Cole for Yossi, Poulsen for Masch etc... The awful moves in the transfer market contributed to the nadir of the modern Liverpool last season.

But this Summer, all that changed. Enrique and Downing are miles (miles!) ahead of anyone we had on the left. Bellamy is miles ahead of Ngog. Adam is better suited to the league to Aquilani. Coates is highly rated and younger than Soto.

The only one I was very vocal to being against this Summer was Henderson, maybe too much at times. I felt we overpaid heavilly on a player that wasnt better than what we had and didnt really offer a completely different to Kuyt on the right. I also forso him arriving leading to Meireles leaving, and I rate Raul more than Henderson. And the one thing I feel we didnt adress this Summer was our lack of pace and true width on the right: i.e. a right sided Downing.

But, if Henderson keeps performing like he did on Saturday, I'll look very silly and will end up eating humble pie.

Also, one of the highlights of the window for me was how much we cut the deadwood! In all honesty, if I'd go back to May and would sit down to write the players I hoped we'd get shot of, every single one has gone this Summer! Even Saturday, I fully expected to wake up today with Poulsen and Degen on our backs. We were late doing so, but we eventually got round to letting do of all the mediocre players that clogged up our squad.

I have to be honest though, Im not happy Raul was let go. He would have been a very valuable member of our squad and I do feel we didnt come out of that looking too good, if indeed we reneged on the club's promise to improve his contract. End of the day, him leaving wont weaken us much and wont strengthen them much but our squad would have been alot stronger with him in it.

All in all, 8/10 this Summer. Hope we can send the likes of Jones, Amoo and Eccleston out on loans as well.

My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2011, 09:26:23 pm »
Another thing. Here's the 25 man squad I'd imagine we'd submit.

GK: Reina, Doni, Jones
LB: Enrique, Aurelio, Robinson
RB: Johnson, Kelly, Flanno
CB: Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Coates,
CM: Lucas, Adam, Gerrard, Spearing, Shelvey
AM: Downing, Maxi, Kuyt, Henderson
FW: Carroll, Suarez, Bellamy

I find it very interesting that we have 13 British players and 12 foreign ones in that squad. It being almost exactly 50/50, I wonder whether that's been deliberate or not. I cant remeber the last time we came close to a 50-50 split, maybe GH's first full season?
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2011, 09:30:24 pm »
Just posting this so it shows in my "replies". 

When I get a little time I'm going to take a stab at putting together a "resource" plan, which'll hopefully generate some discussion.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2011, 09:50:51 pm »
Good/Bad business?

Who would we have liked that we missed? (Yossi back? Scott Parker? That kind of thing, not fantasy footy)

And what does it say about Kenny and Comolli's relationship the way its panned out?

For me Kenny seems to be going for a strong British squad, and has a team that is strong in midfield, young in defence and still a little lightweight in attack unless you move Dirk up front when Luis is resting... (incidentally, all the lil Lius that have played for Liverpool have been little, lithe and called Luis....)

Good business. We have to regard it as good business. All key areas have been addressed and if we started off spending too much, we then did very good deals with Enrique, Adam and Coates.

Only one miss - we should have kept Aquilani or Meireles.

It may be a little early to judge Comolli and Kenny, but so far they deserve a lot of credit and it seems to work well, this new setup.

The British core, it's partly a good thing. I'll probably open a can of worms here, but I feel we have taken it a little too far. Take CM. Adam in, Aquilani and Meireles out. Step forward Spearing and Shelvey. Or Henderson. In a way, this is a good thing. We promote them, we trust them and do our best to include them. Here we have no problem to trust the youth. But I think it's fair to say that Aquilani and Meireles represent better quality here and now. They're off to Milan and Chelsea. So it's youth over quality.
Now take Pacheco. Open spot in the squad and yet he's off to La Liga. In comes Bellamy, who is close to the end of his career. We go for quality here and now and ditch the youth. And this after having spent 60M on the existing strike force. It's a different yardstick for Pacheco. Had we sold him, fine. But now it's like we pretend to give him a chance so we can sneak him out the back door next summer.

I should add that I believe it's a very good thing that we give our best young players a role. It's something I have wanted us to do for years. I'm very much for it, but it's hard for me to see Henderson, Spearing, Adam, Shelvey and Bellamy as superior quality when compared to Aquilani, Meireles and Pacheco.

Next, which is linked to giving the youth a chance. Kenny and Comolli have reduced the size of the squad. This is very important and it's very good. Youth gets a chance. The door is open for the Academy players, so automatically we put greater value to the job done there. The smaller size also means we have to get players involved. And it means we get to see how good they are. We get answers and it's the best way to help us improve in the future. This part is often forgotten. We may talk about a reduced wage bill, but it's far bigger than that.

Finally, we have fixed the age mix. It doesn't matter what position we examine, we are not forced (due to age) to spend anywhere next summer. It's an option. This summer we were forced to get younger blood at LM/RM and we were about to get the same at CB. No more. This is also great stuff. It gives Kenny freedom how to spend his money.

It makes such a contrast to the short term perspective which ruled under Hodgson. Kenny and Comolli got a bad deal there. Sadly, they had to go back in time, get all Roy's signings out and start over. That was the biggest problem with the previous regime. They created a bigger job and forced Kenny to buy in certain areas. No more. Kenny and Comolli are doing the right things.
For me, this, more than the players we have signed, represent the best indication that we are finally moving in the right direction again.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

royhendo

« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2011, 09:53:11 pm »
Just posting this so it shows in my "replies". 

When I get a little time I'm going to take a stab at putting together a "resource" plan, which'll hopefully generate some discussion.

Magnificent stuff :)

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »
I'm delighted. A lot of people seem to be really downbeat after Meireles jumped ship at the last minute, but with Gerrard back, I was truly wracking my brains to see where he was going to fit in. And when you get offered £13m for a player surplus to requirements, you have to grab it with both hands.

100% agree on this. he's older as well, so no resale. Selling Raul for £13m is good business for both sides IMO

We'll have a lot of people question the philosophy behind investing so heavily in Henderson and Carroll still, but Jose Enrique, Charlie Adam and Seb Coates are absolutely magnificent pieces of business at around £20m for the trio. Add Craig Bellamy to the mix and we've been very, very efficient. There's a lot of talk of how we've managed to reduce the wage bill so drastically that we've actually turned a few million quid profit. If that's the case, you have to take your hat off to the job that has been done behind the scenes this summer. It really was extraordinary. And if we manage to get Champions League footy with the squad we've assembled to act as our foundation a year from now, it's beyond what anybody could have hoped for.

Carroll's investment isn't quite so big with salary added in, at least compared to Aguero or other £35m players. And I suspect that we needed him to keep Pepe etc and just show we were a buying club. C'est la vie

Hendo could be amazing, or just good. Way too early to know, but £15-20m is the going rate for a promising young player of CL quality. See Phil Jones.... Downing looks worth his money too, and it's a huge upgrade on the position

Agree that the others are great: Adam was a steal, Enrique could be the signing of the window (especially as it solved a long-standing problem), Coates looks very promising. Bellamy is a cute extra

We've built a CL-capable squad in 2 windows and shifted a lot of below-par folks to give pretty low net investment. Pretty incredible IMV. Kudos to Comolli and the rest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2011, 10:52:18 pm »
Charlie Adam? I'm holding my fire, partly because none of us know how central midfield will operate when Steven gets back. Is Kenny wedded to starting him in the middle? If so will he pair Gerrard with Adam? It's a possibility I think. And if it does happen and Lucas is moved to the bench then I'd be obviously less enthralled with that bit of transfer business. So far Kenny has bought for the starting eleven. He hasn't bought for the bench. That would be my worry about Adam - that he's here to replace Lucas. Anyone else share that fear or am I being too gloomy?

Too gloomy. No reason to suspect that Adam is there to replace Lucas.

The most interesting analysis about the early (must-have?) transfers is that they were all about chance creation. Adam, Hendo, Suarez, Downing all had lots of key passes and assists. And this mirrors the baseball analysis about getting on base rather than hit home runs (score goals)

I think Adam was bought for set pieces and distribution not to replace the DM role Lucas plays.

What I can't see yet is how Kenny wants to set us out. We're supposed to be the same all through the club, but is that 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2? Or is the 'same way' nothing to do with formation?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »
Another thing. Here's the 25 man squad I'd imagine we'd submit.

GK: Reina, Doni, Jones
LB: Enrique, Aurelio, Robinson
RB: Johnson, Kelly, Flanno
CB: Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Coates,
CM: Lucas, Adam, Gerrard, Spearing, Shelvey
AM: Downing, Maxi, Kuyt, Henderson
FW: Carroll, Suarez, Bellamy

I'd just like to say that this is so much better in four key ways

1) Better depth, genuinely 2 CL quality players in each position (or cover from another position)
2) Better left-right balance - i.e. hugely strengthened left side
3) More chance creators: Gerrard, Suarez, hendo, Kuyt, Adam, Downing
4) Bigger. More of a presence

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #18 on: September 1, 2011, 11:05:55 pm »
Really pleased with the business done this summer to be fair.

Even the little details like signing so many left footed players to help with the natural balance of the side. Seems so simple when you think about it.

The biggest thing for me since Kenny has come back is the overriding sense of, well, common sense. The man’s decisions make sense in a most straight forward way and that’s not knocking the previous managers we have had lately.

I’m all for theory, tactics and or surprising formations or whatever but whereas I found myself looking for the master stroke in some decision or other that I didn’t fully understand for the last few years I now nod in ready agreement with almost ever sub we make and as this summer rolled by every signing we have made.

We all knew where we needed to strengthen and DC and Kenny go and fill the gaps with little fuss. That’s not to say that I could have dreamt up such a blend of talent when the window shut and our business was all tied up but rather I agreed on a gut level with each as they arrived individually.

After that it’s Kenny’s genius in building a side that now has me grinning each time I see formations on here and a bench of real strength.

Reminds me of that Woody Guthrie quote.

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." 
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2011, 11:06:39 pm »
That would be my worry about Adam - that he's here to replace Lucas. Anyone else share that fear or am I being too gloomy?
I think you are being a bit gloomy yorky, I'm confident all three (including SG) can play in either a 4231 or a 433. Alleviate your worry's mate.

Albeit the income for Miereles is welcome, I admit to worrying whether we will miss him during the season. I wonder if he was released 12 months too early, however the discussion is pointless when a player decides his future is with a different manager - I can only hope I'm wrong and we won't miss his energy which I'd hoped to see around Andy Carroll.

Have we just witnessed a classic 'cover all angles' movement during the last two windows without us realising it. We now have a squad with pace, height, skill, experience, youth, balance and now with Bellamy, nuisance.

When required or in the absence of our starting advanced players, I'm sure Bellamy can occupy that space around Carroll which requires business and industry. A gap quickly and cost-effectively plugged.

There's not just on the pitch improvements in quality that these last 2 windows have addressed, out with the unwanted and in the old friends and ambitious character's will provide more solidarity and camaraderie around those canteen tables.

That I'm delighted in the progress of our club and the direction of our leadership is a massive understatement. The fascinating aspect to all this though is that you know within a month they'll even be thinking about January before Royhendo.

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2011, 11:10:28 pm »
We've given ourselves an excellent base from which to make a steady progression:

This season: Top 4

Next season: Title challenge?

Season after: Title?

The squad we now have is strong in every position.  It is well balanced; can play in various formations; and contains genuine options in every position.  There isn't a bad player in it, and there is also a lot of versatility which can only help as and when one or two injuries inevitably set in.

The squad is also lean enough for a domestic-only campaign.  Every senior player (bar perhaps Doni) will get games this season.  That has to be good for morale / hunger, and the competition to be in the first XI will keep everyone on their toes.  I don't think even Suarez / Gerrard will be able to rest on their laurels.

What strikes me is that we've chosen players in a very mature, considered way.  There was a big clamour for some sparkle.  Mata was a name on everyone's lips, and there was a real sense of disappointment when we signed Downing instead.  Similarly, Henderson, Adam, Enrique, Coates, Bellamy, Doni - not exactly names to get the pulse racing, at least when you think only of the individual player.  But we needed that dose of sobriety in our strategy this summer.  We had a good core, but we lacked quality in depth in a number of positions.  You need to bake a good cake before you start thinking about putting the icing on top.  The Mata's of this world can wait another window or two.  By that time, we'll be ready for them, can focus the bulk of our available net spend on them, and they will (hopefully!) be supplementing a strong and cohesive unit; not being relied on to dig a weak team out of a hole.

Also, with Dalglish putting an emphasis on the team, with good passing and movement, players making themselves available for each other for relatively simple passes, there is less need for that 'moment of magic' from someone special.  Of course, you still need some artists in there - but the likes of Suarez, Gerrard and Adam will be more than good enough for now.

So overall, I'm very pleased.  The board, the owners and the coaches have all worked together, and everything has been thought through carefully and rationally.  Most importantly, they have delivered - the deals that needed to be done were done, and all in good time.

Very optimistic for the season ahead now.  Very optimistic for future transfer windows under FSG as well.

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2011, 11:26:23 pm »
Only one miss - we should have kept Aquilani or Meireles.

The British core, it's partly a good thing. I'll probably open a can of worms here, but I feel we have taken it a little too far. Take CM. Adam in, Aquilani and Meireles out. Step forward Spearing and Shelvey. Or Henderson. In a way, this is a good thing. We promote them, we trust them and do our best to include them. Here we have no problem to trust the youth. But I think it's fair to say that Aquilani and Meireles represent better quality here and now. They're off to Milan and Chelsea. So it's youth over quality.
Now take Pacheco. Open spot in the squad and yet he's off to La Liga. In comes Bellamy, who is close to the end of his career. We go for quality here and now and ditch the youth. And this after having spent 60M on the existing strike force. It's a different yardstick for Pacheco. Had we sold him, fine. But now it's like we pretend to give him a chance so we can sneak him out the back door next summer.

Always interesting, you are, Gnurglan.

On Aquilani / Meireles, I beg to differ:

1. neither player particularly wanted to stay
2. both will have been on fairly significant wages
3. neither would have been playing regularly
4. aquilani would have been a gamble - he's never done it in the premier league.  yes, he's a talent.  but would he have settled straight back in and been a match winner for us?  would he have done it on the fabled rainy night in December in Stoke?
5. of the two, meireles is the one that is more of a disappointment - he is a very good player.  But at 28, when 12-13m is on the table for a squad player, can you really say no?  Is it worth keeping him in the squad (one, maybe 2 places back from getting in the first team) and prevent the young players from getting an opportunity?

On Pacheco, can you tell me he ever really looked good enough or confident enough to make the break through?  He didn't even look as good as David Ngog.  I think we built him up too much - he's another Le Tallec.  Maybe that highlights problems with the way we bring overseas youngsters through...he was such a highly rated talent when he signed.  But wasn't it telling that Norwich didn't move heaven and earth to re-sign him on loan?  Wasn't it telling that he never really looked like breaking into the first team squad?  Successive managers have not gone for him - including Dalglish who knows the youngsters at the club very well, and we know KK is a good judge of talent.

Bellamy offers something very different to Pacheco - versatility, pace, attitude.  And it's not as though he was our 1st choice - we went for Wickham earlier in the summer.

Pacheco has gone because he isn't good enough.  Bellamy was signed because he is, and he was free.  I really think it's as simple as that.

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2011, 11:38:41 pm »
I think the single most impressive thing we did tis summer was move on so many players in one window. It must be some kind of record i think i read it was 28 edit 24 on loan or sold. Still time for a few more loans yet. All this was done with no histrionics or outrage from players or player managers which is amazing and is testimony to the professionalism of Comolli. I like our squad now very much and agree with the OPs assesment of being a little light in attack but i think this will be addressed in the future. Really depends a lot on how Henderson develops and what his role ends up being.

We have stolen a march on our rivals for fourth already and there is hope that this squad could possibly do even better but i really don't care if we do or don't. 12 months ago the concept of getting into Europe was remote and now we are favourites to get there with a better squad and happier players than the Arse or Spuds. Good times.. Its a good time to be a Liverpool fan and the old saying the journey is sometimes as much fun as the destination springs to mind.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 11:41:04 pm by soberphobia »
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
Just one final thought, before bed --- if it is true that we've wiped £30m per season from the wage bill (as Rory Smith in the Telegraph reports, albeit it is unclear whether that is a net or a gross figure) then what does that mean for our spending power next summer, with revenues increasing all the time, no ridiculous interest payments, and potentially the chance of a CL place?

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2011, 11:56:54 pm »
Some absolutely brilliant posts there people. Points I agree on, some I disagree on but that's not saying is that they are either right or wrong.

Firstly, let me start by saying I'm so happy to see the great atmosphere around the club at the moment. I feel like we all have our beloved club back again. One major change is my mentality over the last few years. After seeing what happened to Rafa's team and squad, I'm just happy that we have a team that could compete for honours again soon. All the talk of banks, double bluffs and ITK rubbish was all we were interested in, now it's back to the football and I'm very happy, as you can probably guess!

Transfers, well, we have moved on various players over the last six months who haven't wanted to be here, wasn't good enough to compete or was only here for the pay packet. That would be great news alone but we have replaced these various players with new signings of quality, potential, experience and enthusiasm, important aspects if we are to challenge once again.

Enrique has impressed me, like everyone else, and being the first one to admit, I never thought he would be this good. I did agree with signing for 6-8 million. However when £15 million was being touted, I'm guessing 'Holy' must have nearly broke his glasses. However if was signed for the higher fee I don't think that would have been harsh.

Adam is another player who seems like he has been playing for us for years. Great attitude, ability and hunger that we have lacked for a long while. Regarding Lucas, the man has developed but I think he would accept being rotated in a good team than playing every week in a poor team.

Players gone, I'm not to fussed. Personally with Meireless was disappointing to see him leave but I've said it numerous times, and had stick for it, I'm only interested in LFC. Whether any player wants to leave or is causing problems then it wouldn't bother me if they left. I do feel slightly sorry for him because he was promised a new deal by another management team. However I would have been more impressed if he battled his way back into the team and earned that new deal. Good luck to him, but what I've heard Torres isn't quite settled in London, so maybe the grass isn't always greener.

Over all, wow, we are back again competing. Back to the real world of going the match, singing about players and still hoping one day the families and others of the Hillsborough tragedy will get the justice they deserve.

Welcome back LFC, that Liver Bird is slowly starting to climb back on it's fucking perch!
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 12:01:58 am by Ryan M »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2011, 11:58:22 pm »
What is hugely impressive is the large number of players who have left, saving enormous amounts off the wage bill, and recouping significant transfer fees. Looking at the list and our current squad, it is actually fairly tricky to come up with a situation where we would really miss the departing players. And I find that incredible.

For example Ngog has been used as an impact sub. We have Bellamy instead - and he makes a bigger impact. The closest to making that case would be Meireles. But it took the Carling Cup to get him into the side, even with Gerrard injured. Raul is a good player, but he clearly isn't first choice. Henderson (and Jonjo) have the potential. Perversely Raul's departure (forced as it may be) could be to the long term benefit of those two, giving them more time to develop.

I think a Stones quote is in order. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find, you get what you need". Our business has not had the sexiness of a Mata or an Aguero, but for a side wanting to achieve and then consolidate a top 4 place, it seems ideal. The sexy signings flock to European football. If we get it, they will come.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #26 on: September 2, 2011, 12:02:18 am »
When you enter a transfer window, you hope to come out of it with a stronger squad than before, and I think that is definitely the case as far as we are concerned. We've signed some exciting youngsters and some proven Premier League players whilst shifting out some unneeded/unwanted players. In doing so we've improved both our starting XI and our squad. Kenny & Damien should both take huge plaudits for the fine job they've done. 

I've been very impressed with Enrique, Downing, Adam and Henderson. All four players seem to have settled well, aided mainly by the fact that we signed them before the season, giving them time to gel. I am very happy that we did most of our business early doors, this probably saved us a few quid and gave Kenny and his coaching staff time to work with the new recruits.

I saw a bit of Coates during the Copa America and he looked good but I can't really make too many comments on him as I've only seen him play a couple of times. Having said that, he looks to have very good physical charachteristics and a decent pedigree.

Bellamy returning could be to Kenny what Gary Mac was for Ged. Bellamy for me is a great back up striker who you know will get goals if he plays.

As for departures, we've not lost anybody that we were desperate to keep. Loosing Miereles wasn't ideal, but he wanted to go and we got decent money for a player who was most likely going to be a squad player anyway. I hope N'Gog does well at Bolton, he took a lot of stick from some of our fans but for me he did a decent job. The other departures were pretty much 'deadwood' and reducing the squad size and wage bill was important.

All in all, I think we've had a very good summer in terms of transfers, let's hope our optimism isn't unfounded.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 2, 2011, 12:11:49 am »
Just one final thought, before bed --- if it is true that we've wiped £30m per season from the wage bill (as Rory Smith in the Telegraph reports, albeit it is unclear whether that is a net or a gross figure) then what does that mean for our spending power next summer, with revenues increasing all the time, no ridiculous interest payments, and potentially the chance of a CL place?

Fairly sure that is the gross figure, and probably overestimates our savings by about 20-30%, as we're still paying large portions of Cole's salary, as well as several others in all likelihood.

Not that it lessens the accomplishment of Dalglish and Comolli this window - to cut such a huge amount from the wage bill, entirely from players who weren't contributing anyway (barring Meireles) is an amazing feat.  I thought it would take us 2 or 3 windows to dispose of all the deadwood.

My only question now is who will be the RAWK scapegoat the next time we lose/draw a few games in a row?
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 2, 2011, 12:15:26 am »
Disagree with some of the details, but agree with the general direction and strategy. Nearly all of those who needed to go have gone as far as is realistically possible, while the areas which needed filling in have been. I'd like yet more connection between the defence and midfield, either a CB who can step into midfield or a CM who can drop back into defence or both. But that, plus another ball carrier, will only become vital with Europe. For the given ambitions, which is to get back into the CL, the current squad should be enough, with the equally vital quality of being young enough to be built on.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #29 on: September 2, 2011, 12:26:59 am »
Thought this was interesting from Rory Smith --
Relevant at least.

Dalglish has built the squad he wanted: young, energetic, mostly home-grown, and with a passion for the club – but it fits FSG's vision, too. The squad is streamlined – 22 senior players, supported by youth – with this summer's six signings, Bellamy apart, earning a combined, and relatively modest, £13 million-a-season in wages.
That is a saving of £17 million-a-season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8735693/Liverpool-manager-Kenny-Dalglish-completes-a-summer-of-bloodletting-at-Anfield-with-a-leaner-meaner-squad.html
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #30 on: September 2, 2011, 01:05:22 am »
I didn't know that regarding the saving of £17 mil in wages.
That is excellent business, considering the quality of players that have come in.
It tells me that the owners know what they're doing from a business point of view whilst not starving us of any expenditure towards the addition of new players.

We all wanted a wide/creative player. We got one in the shape of Downing.
We've been crying out for a decent left back. We've got what I believe to be a potential World class player with the purchase of Enrique, who also creates width from an attacking point of view whilst looking solid defensively.
We've been crying out for a solid ball playing centre back, and from what I've seen of Coates he fits the bill.
He's also a giant who will be useful from set pieces, as well as defending them.
Henderson looks likely to potentially be very good player and I've liked what I've seen of him so far.
I reckon the goal he got against Bolton will give him a massive spark.
Charlie Adam looks to be improving game by game and like Henderson his goal v Bolton will have lifted his spirits, as before that he seemed to be trying a tad too hard and hopefully now he will settle down and show his real capabilities. No worries there for me.

As for Bellamy, I'm delighted we've brought him back.
He's a fucking loon but he's our fucking loon and I can see him making a decent contribution to what hopefully for us will be a successful campaign.

I'm not really arsed about any of the players that we sold or moved on.
So happy days..  :wave
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 01:07:47 am by Terry De Niro »

Offline shadowraith

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: September 2, 2011, 04:07:28 am »
Over all I’m very happy with this summer’s transfer window especially the large cull. I think clearing the wage bill puts us in such a position that when we return to champions league football we can reward our players adequately or offer incoming players good contracts.
I will admit to a slight twinge of disappointment when Raul left as well as when we didn’t sign Mata similar to how I felt when we didn’t sign Silva a few windows back. However the squad looks good and I trust Kenny. We should be there in the top four for sure.
I think this sets us up well for the January window some big players at some big clubs will flop some young talented player will want moves for one reason or another or their club will be out of champions league making us a very attractive prospect to sign those players.
I still think we need one right winger/attacking midfielder and maybe young versatile defensive midfielder to really complete the squad but they can come at a later date.

Now its on to some football.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 04:09:14 am by shadowraith »

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: September 2, 2011, 04:15:46 am »
First off It should be noted that we won't have 25 players to submit for a squad, we have 22 since youth don't count(got the 22 from that article).

Now my thoughts;
As good a rebuilding transfer window as Can be asked for. In reducing the wage bill, cutting down the squad size whilst also increasing quality FSG have done a few things which I will now list. First off they have financially put the club in order, we may end up saving money overall the debate on the wage bills effects goes back and forth but more importantly we bought players who should keep their transfer value and who are going to play, so if need be they will be worth something later. In addition by decreasing our wage bill we have cut the amount of players we can't sell becuase of wages and cut our exposure to players turning out shit or just not fitting into plans. As Joe Cole shows it's hard to offload players when they have higher salaries, even if they are potentially quite good. With lower salaries we not only have a smaller wage bill but more flexibility in the transfer market and perhaps our players will then fetch higher prices.  Secondly FSG have improved quality on the field something that. They have done this in a way that balances age groups and positions and gives us a squad where everyone fits in the system. Finally the cutting of squad numbers will mean that our lads will bond better since it is a smaller group.

Now let's look at a couple disappointments;1) We didn't even compete for some top players and 2) Raul. For the first there was nothing we can do about not being in the CL this year and City and Chelsea offered ridiculous money to a lot of people. In the end I doubt it'll effect us too much, as City and Chelsea won't be up to it once FFP comes in and we may get some bargains then. As for Raul he wanted more money, is injured, waved a loyalty bonus, didn't fit in with plans and got us 13 million. Sad to see him go but ehh no biggie. Chelsea basically paid for his year here and got a 29 year old on 50,000+ a week with no resale and he isn't better than players we have on the same wages. Oh and it cost um 13 million. We didn't strengthen our rivals, we weakened them.

Now to the future. I expect fourth holding for third so we get a bigger slice of the CL pie and more recognition. I think with the squad cutting and wage trimming we can now afford to add some great players to the club. The one I really want is Hazard and with CL football next year we should be able to attract these sort of players as well as have the cash to get them. I like hazard so much because he would not only make us better but also be a great investment at 20 years old and be unlikely to get home sick since he's from Belgium. From here we need to improve our team with only top shelf players. I say this because I think we have a good strong squad with 2 players for almost everywhere and now we want to improve quality by bringing in 1st rate players. The younger the better of course, and we need to continue to sell players when they are about to decline and bring in youngsters as well. We have done as well as a 6th place team can do in the transfer market. Hopefully the players we have bought will turn out well(they have so far). Of course if they all get better we will be the first team since Everton to have all thier transfers improve. Only difference being we signed 8 more players.

The only true disappointment is the lack of news on a stadium, but that will come in due time. I like this financially responsible lot. As a red sox and lfc fan before I hoped they'd pull it off as I saw them do before. They have. Job well done. Hopefully we will navigate the HAZARDous road of the next transfer window just as well. I am ADAMant that this club will keep on getting better. I'll get my Coates and Hendo on out for all these bad puns.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 2, 2011, 06:13:59 am »
Summer 0f 2011 will be remembered as the summer that we re-set our foundation and set ourselves up for a glorious future. Dawn of a new era without a doubt.

We now have an awesome mixed of highly experienced, premiership capable players, well supported by a solid group of exciting hot prospects. We have also rid ourselves of those we deemed as surplus to requirements while at the same balancing the books, making them more palatable.

The best bit however - we now know (if we have yet to realise) that we are in good hands off the pitch. Owners of great pedigree, a commercially astute CEO (and lifelong fan to boot), a brilliant workhorse for a DoF and of course Kenny (who can do no wrong) at helm.

This is the start of better things to come. The major re-engineering exercise has completed. But for sure, we will continue to re-load and upgrade from the new foundation that has been put in place, as and when appropriate.

Onwards and upwards ... YNWA
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #34 on: September 2, 2011, 06:49:30 am »
A pleasure to read some of the posts above. People have commented on individual players - a little on the relative performance of rival clubs below. 

From my perspective, I think we have done rather well for ourselves, including on the financial front.

1. We have bought players who are going to be there for the long term (4-5 years at least, in each case) but can also perform important roles right away. This, coupled with the inclusion of key youngsters like Kelly, Flanagan and Robinson from the academy, Jonjo Shelvey and to a lesser extent Coady and Wisdom, shows that FSG has very strong commitment to the long term of the club, while being reasonably wily about the present, particularly towards the necessity of qualifying for the Champions League.

2. We spent big early, whicvh meant two things.  One, wer were not scrabbling around for good players towards the end of the window and two, we booked some large expenses in last year's balance sheet, which is a very good thing from a FFP perspective.

Going from the summary on the BBC site, the following are the transfer spends of our main rivals, give or take a few million.  In some cases the amounts are undisclosed and I have assumed the numbers below for the players whose transfer fees would make a significant impact to the totals.

Arsenal spent £52million, (earned £72 million) MAIN BUYS - Arteta, Benayoun, Gervinho, Mertesacker
Arsenal emerge weaker from the transfer window, arguably significantly weaker.

Chelsea spent £60 million (assuming £10 million for Lukaku and £25 million for Mata and nothing for Ulises Davila) MAIN BUYS - Mata, Lukaku, Romeu and Meireles
Mata is a big improvement to their squad, Meireles's impact is uncertain, given that he may not play a lot of games.

Liverpool spent £57 million (assuming £7million for Coates) MAIN BUYS - Henderson, Adam, Downing, Enrique, Coates.
Significant improvement.  Each player bought is capable of playing for the first team, perhaps Coates a little less than the others and we can expect a minimum of 4 years service from each player.

Manchester City spent £76 million MAIN BUYS - Aguero, Nasri, Clichy
Aguero and Nasri are significant improvements.

Manchester United spent 52 million MAIN BUYS - Jones, Young, de Gea
Jones and Young are improvement, de Gea is as yet unproven.

I think that time will show that we have arguably done the best in terms of value for money, particularly with FFP coming in in earnest in 2013-14.

3. The wage bill has been reduced significantly, from some accounts by up to £18 million.

4. Unwanted players and those not completely committed to the cause have been sipped out.  Every last one of them.

I think we have done rather well and Comolli is correct to have thanked the owners for their vision and guts.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 2, 2011, 07:26:48 am »

I think the wage savings are being overestimated. Players like Aqua, Degen, El Zhar, Insua were not in the wage bill either last year.

I think we have kept the wage bill similar, or may have decreased it slightly while increasing the quality of the squad vastly. While revenues will increase, I think we have to keep in mind that there would have been a significant loss last year (with pay-offs, Europa etc) and will probably take a hit this year also with there being no CL footy.

Not that it matters much - the squad should keep us going for quite a few years, and it will only keep getting better as the young players improve. A smart purchase here and there (like Enrique or Suarez) and we should be fine.

EDIT: How did the Meirles fee become 13mp overnight? I thought it was 12mp (which is my gripe - selling to a direct rival should carry a premium).
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 07:29:17 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

royhendo

« Reply #36 on: September 2, 2011, 07:48:42 am »
£13m a year in wages for all the newcomers combined is pretty phenomenal I'd say. Does the squad's balance affect the prospects for new players coming through our own pipeline would you think?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 2, 2011, 09:22:44 am »
We were having this conversation the other day, the thing is with Kenny is that while he put out a strong side at Exeter and will likely do the same at Brighton, he's not shy of introducing youth into the league. While we're used to fielding almost complete second XIs in the early stages of the cups and putting out as experienced a side as possible in the league, Kenny will use the whole season to introduce youth so for us to worry about fewer games due to a lack of Europe isn't as big an issue as under other managers.
Kenny's so far played Spearing in the derby (before he was established), Flanagan and Robinson against City and most of Arsenal away, as well as introducing young subs such as Shelvey on a regular basis.

We'll blood players, it'll just be a return to old ways rather than what we were used to recently.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 2, 2011, 09:37:46 am »
Removed talk of the Jan window, we're only just getting over this one!
Yep.

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 2, 2011, 11:29:57 am »
£13m a year in wages for all the newcomers combined is pretty phenomenal I'd say. Does the squad's balance affect the prospects for new players coming through our own pipeline would you think?
This was the time to do it. Looking forward it will be harder to manage the wage bill if we do have sucess. Players will look for wage increases, especially Suarez, Enrique, Henderson and Downing. It's very important to see players from the youths come through in the next few years to allow us to replace those players if we choose not to increase their wages or the likes of Suarez decides to move on.
Why are you looking past this season?