Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1407508 times)

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #13680 on: April 25, 2019, 05:06:07 pm »
What's the sentiment for Rodgers since he left? Is he well liked? Would ye consider him a club icon if he managed to hand ye the title?

I still don't know what to make of him. 2014 was a great season and he got us there so credit to him for it, but it was a massive outlier in terms of his time here. And it really didn't end well. The tail end of 2015 was horrendous and the start of the next season just as bad. His transfer record was pretty awful if you look at it objectively and whoever's decision 'being liverpool' was didn't get him started on the right foot. I seem to be going a little against the grain of other opinion on here though, maybe it's just me.

With all that said, if he took anything off city I'd think of him more fondly than many members of my own family. So there's that.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #13681 on: April 25, 2019, 05:25:47 pm »
I still don't know what to make of him. 2014 was a great season and he got us there so credit to him for it, but it was a massive outlier in terms of his time here. And it really didn't end well. The tail end of 2015 was horrendous and the start of the next season just as bad. His transfer record was pretty awful if you look at it objectively and whoever's decision 'being liverpool' was didn't get him started on the right foot. I seem to be going a little against the grain of other opinion on here though, maybe it's just me.

With all that said, if he took anything off city I'd think of him more fondly than many members of my own family. So there's that.

I share a similar sentiment. 2012/2013 was an enjoyable season overall, even though we were in the process of a rebuild. It felt like we had truly pressed the reset button, acquired some talented attacking players, and were playing an attractive brand of football. 2013/2014 was one of the most fun seasons I have experienced, partly because no one in a million years ever expected us to challenge that season. Ultimately that season ended in disappointment, but it was still an incredible experience.

It kind of all went downhill from there though. The tension between Rodgers and the transfer committee was prevalent in the summer of 2014, and worsened in 2015. Tactically, Rodgers always seemed to struggle in Europe, however some of that was due to our squad being poorly constructed. In the end, I think most (if not all) of us were thankful for the moments he helped create in 2013/2014, but recognized it was time to part ways.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13682 on: April 25, 2019, 05:29:49 pm »
Just to add the performances in the CL 2014/2015 were massively disappointing, even though we had the likes of Balottelli playing up front, there's no reason why we shouldn't have made it out of the group. That was another thing that irked me. The reserve side against Madrid at their place.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13683 on: April 25, 2019, 06:08:53 pm »
I'm telling you, these 3 games for City could be real banana skins.

Burnley are Burnley - we know their strengths and weaknesses, and Dyche will want to stick it to Pep and City in general.

Leicester are a genuinely good team managed by a top manager, who will also want to put one over Pep and claim his part in a Liverpool title win.

Brighton will hopefully still be fighting to stay in the league, which will be motivation enough.

So there you have it - mark my words, this League title is far from over.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13684 on: April 25, 2019, 06:11:59 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2009/08/chelsea_and_manchester_united.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28742392

It's just one guy's prediction, but McNulty is generally as safe and consensus as they come, and he had us 1st and 4th in those respective years. Anyone saying they saw a disaster forthcoming having challenged for the title is probably talking through their arse.

I'm generally very sceptical of any long-term predictions in football. Things can change and happen so quickly. Nothing should be taken for granted at all.

How talented was that 09/10 squad compared to this one? Like really compare the squads.

Its not even close.

Also there was already tension behind the scenes the season before. Lets not forget that many players were vexed over the sale of Alonso.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:13:41 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13685 on: April 25, 2019, 06:16:13 pm »
I can't bring myself to do that;
1. Those games were literally months ago. You starting ruing games months past then you may as well rue the dropped points vs Arsenal and Chelsea in the first few months of the season.
2. We've had 2 huge slices of luck in the Everton and Spurs games with even out the dropped points vs Leicester and WH.

I think Klopp said it best in that it's "bullshit" to say any one game won or lost the title in hind sight.  It's a totality of performances over 38 games.

With that said, you can look at most of those performances listed and note that we created fuck all in them in comparison to the standard or level that has been set for over a year now.  So there's the improvement the club can look at and where City has the advantage over us as far as this season, consistency.  That doesn't mean that the same thing can't happen in the future but you minimize the percentage chance of it happening by getting better instead hoping you get luckier the next time.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13686 on: April 25, 2019, 06:31:36 pm »

Burnley are Burnley - we know their strengths and weaknesses, and Dyche will want to stick it to Pep and City in general.

Leicester are a genuinely good team managed by a top manager, who will also want to put one over Pep and claim his part in a Liverpool title win.

Brighton will hopefully still be fighting to stay in the league, which will be motivation enough.

Considering the form of the ‘top four contenders’ I’m not sure what other matches we’d consider tricky for them (apart from ourselves obviously)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13687 on: April 25, 2019, 06:34:44 pm »
How talented was that 09/10 squad compared to this one? Like really compare the squads.

Its not even close.

Also there was already tension behind the scenes the season before. Lets not forget that many players were vexed over the sale of Alonso.

Were they?

How many is many?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #13688 on: April 25, 2019, 06:38:36 pm »
Were they?

How many is many?

More than a few but short of loads. Obviously.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13689 on: April 25, 2019, 06:41:05 pm »
More than a few but short of loads. Obviously.

I remember Gerrard and Carragher both coming out in the press about it, but that’s about it. And they really had their fingers on the pulse at that time.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13690 on: April 25, 2019, 06:49:30 pm »
I'm hoping the fact that City don't play in Europe actually stops their flow a little bit before Leicester - we've definitely seen that with us in the past.

At the minute it feels like teams wont even score against them which is frustrating - I suspect we wont see Kompany again - the time was ripe last night to score past them.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline stuarth810

• Kemlynite
  • Sing sing sing, dont just sit sit sit
« Reply #13691 on: April 25, 2019, 06:51:14 pm »
Hopes and dreams hanging by a thread now.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13692 on: April 25, 2019, 06:53:13 pm »
My opinion on Rodgers is that he had a bit too little experience for the job here at the time and a bit too much ego. FSG took a chance on a young, bright manager & it was a little too soon for Brendan. I can't blame the man for trying to undertake one of the iconic managerial jobs in the world. He tried his best, had us playing some great football and I think he deserves respect for that.

I absolutely think he's capable of managing a top 6 club, as long as he has a good owner and a strong DOF. He's licked his wounds and learned some lessons. He's certainly brighter than the majority of managers in England right now. Leicester is a nice fit at the moment.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13693 on: April 25, 2019, 06:55:57 pm »
IFor all those superstitious Reds amongst us.

1. Last time Watford got to the FA Cup Final was 1984 when Liverpool won the league and European Cup.

2. 1976 - Liverpool played Wolves the last game of the season to win the league, drew 0-0 at Goodison, and beat Everton 1-0 at Anfield with a last minute winner (Fairclough). Also drew at Old Trafford 0-0, and beat Man Utd 3-1 at Anfield. Played Barca in the semi final of the European trophy that year on the way to winning the UEFA Cup. Shades of this year?

3. Every time Burnley have been in the Premier League, they have beaten the reigning champions - 2009/10 1-0 v Man Utd, 2014/15 1-0 v Man City, 2016/17 1-0 v Leicester City, 2017/18 v Chelsea 3-2, and they play City very soon this season.

4. The last time a Club won three European Cups on the run was 1974, 1975 and 1976 when Bayern won it. Liverpool the year after in 1977. Real Madrid won it in 2016, 2017 and 2018  our turn again?

5. The last time a previous winner won the Grand National was in 1977, when Red Rum won it for the third time. Liverpool won the league and European cup.  Tiger Roll has just won the National after being a previous winner.

Too many coincidences folks, were winning the double-believe
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:58:46 pm by Gladbach73 »
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13694 on: April 25, 2019, 06:58:55 pm »
What's the sentiment for Rodgers since he left? Is he well liked? Would ye consider him a club icon if he managed to hand ye the title?

Really good football manager with a big mouth. Loves to talk and hear the sound of his own voice was the impression I always got.

I don't think fans were ever completely convinced seeing that he had only really managed 3 clubs and hadn't done particularly well at 2 of them, left under fairly dubious circumstances for Watford despite saying that he perhaps wouldn't, and then his achievements at Swansea were good but not brilliant. I think a lot of people were expecting a manager with international profile and so were underwhelmed when we got him. That being said, he brought some great football to the club, got the best out of a lot of good players and we played some thrilling football. Considering we had just gone through years of misery, I think he was a breath of fresh air at the time. However, he couldn't really improve the team significantly after one bumper season despite having had the backing to do so. There'll probably always be a case of perhaps we didn't quite give it long enough to see if he could have resurrected things, but also a feeling of that we thought that would probably happen sooner or later given his track record up to that point.

It'll be interesting to see how he does at Leicester. I for one will be wishing him well (especially against City!!)

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13695 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:49 pm »

3. Every time Burnley have been in the Premier League, they have beaten the reigning champions - 2009/10 1-0 v Man Utd, 2014/15 1-0 v Man City, 2016/17 1-0 v Leicester City, 2017/18 v Chelsea 3-2, and they play City very soon this season.

Alas they did not beat City last year.

Instead this happened

http://www.espn.com/soccer/match?gameId=480649

Offline 4EverRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #13696 on: April 25, 2019, 07:06:03 pm »

Been devastated all day and trying to come to terms with not winning the league this season. The lads have performed tremendously well and I am very proud of them but we seem to be bloody cursed when it comes to winning this god damn premier league. 29 years waiting for this and we always seem to come up short , it’s mind boggling!!!

Unfortunately for us City will steam roll Burnley, Leicester and Brighton....sick as a dog I am !!!

Fuck off City !!

Offline krizzobizzle

• Mr Fun at a party near you soon!
  • Kopite

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13699 on: April 25, 2019, 07:12:20 pm »

Instead this happened

Good enough. Let's revise and rewrite history and say:

"Every time Burnley have been in the Premier League, they have beaten taken points off the reigning champions"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:14:26 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13700 on: April 25, 2019, 07:14:59 pm »
Still good enough. Let's revise and rewrite history and say:

"Every time Burnley have been in the Premier League, they have beaten taken points off the reigning champions"

They have not taken points off us this season. so maybe this is the year they buck the trend  :D

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13701 on: April 25, 2019, 07:17:07 pm »
They have not taken points off us this season. so maybe this is the year they buck the trend  :D
Yeah but we're not the reigning champs... yet so let's hope that trend continues, but they get relegated this season! ;D
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13702 on: April 25, 2019, 07:24:41 pm »

Instead this happened

the teams they beat were the Reigning Champions, i.e. Chelsea were the reigning champs last season, City are the reigning champs this season - now do you understand? They beat the team in the season after the season they won the league.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:26:34 pm by Gladbach73 »

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13703 on: April 25, 2019, 07:29:40 pm »

1. Last time Watford got to the FA Cup Final was 1984 when Liverpool won the league and European Cup.

2. 1976 - Liverpool played Wolves the last game of the season to win the league, drew 0-0 at Goodison, and beat Everton 1-0 at Anfield with a last minute winner (Fairclough). Also drew at Old Trafford 0-0, and beat Man Utd 3-1 at Anfield. Played Barca in the semi final of the European trophy that year on the way to winning the UEFA Cup. Shades of this year?

4. The last time a Club won three European Cups on the run was 1974, 1975 and 1976 when Bayern won it. Liverpool the year after in 1977. Real Madrid won it in 2016, 2017 and 2018  our turn again?

5. The last time a previous winner won the Grand National was in 1977, when Red Rum won it for the third time. Liverpool won the league and European cup.  Tiger Roll has just won the National after being a previous winner.

Are Ken and Deidre getting married again in the next couple of weeks?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13704 on: April 25, 2019, 07:31:14 pm »

Seriously, I mean this in the nicest way, and I don't mean to sound like a cock here, but please stop posting shit like this. Honestly, every single fucking time someone posts bollocks like this (like last year when we got to the final) we don't do it, so it's bullshit. There's nothing written in the stars. Our name is not on any trophy. We were in control of our own destiny at one point, and we flushed it down the drain. That's the reality we are in now. City are in charge. It'll take a monumental fuck up from them, like we did, to toss it away back to us.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13705 on: April 25, 2019, 07:32:49 pm »
Honestly, every single fucking time someone posts bollocks like this (like last year when we got to the final) we don't do it, so it's bullshit.

Aren't you guilty of posting the same thing you've just complained about?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13706 on: April 25, 2019, 07:34:19 pm »
Aren't you guilty of posting the same thing you've just complained about?
No. Not sure what you're on about there. I've never posted anything to do with superstition. Feel free to trawl my back history there.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #13707 on: April 25, 2019, 07:35:02 pm »
Well.. it's a bit lukewarm..
He's certainly not disliked though, but sort of accepted as "one of our own".

Personally, I like Rodgers very much and I would even like to see him back here again at some point in the future when he's grown and developed his ideaology. The man's teams can play Football- and it's a type of football that I like- a pressing, passing and attacking whirlwind instead of a passing-to-death type of attacking football!
One thing that perplexes me and many others is what his fascination is with traditional target men if they are naturally ill-suited to his game?
Feel bad for him that he couldn't win the title while he was still here, but he can do it now by assisting Klopp! ;D

It's not so much "target men", as mobile target men. The idea is that when the possession isn't opening up defences, then they can send one up to the target to hold the ball and bring the midfielders into play. On the other hand, if the possession IS working, then you need that mobility to run onto the passes behind, or to get out and make combinations. Dembele at Celtic is probably the best example of what he looks for.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13708 on: April 25, 2019, 07:36:02 pm »
No. Not sure what you're on about there. I've never posted anything to do with superstition. Feel free to trawl my back history there.

You said every single time someone posts one of those we don't do it.

Was taking the piss. As you were.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13709 on: April 25, 2019, 07:36:53 pm »
You said every single time someone posts one of those we don't do it.

Was taking the piss. As you were.
Sorry, craig. Got my literal thinking cap on. Still a bit sullen after last night.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13710 on: April 25, 2019, 07:39:24 pm »
more crap...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/apr/25/liverpool-finish-second-psychologically-devastating-manchester-city

Love how she puts forward the argument of how Spurs will challenge next season. As if that is a serious obstacle :D

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13711 on: April 25, 2019, 07:40:38 pm »
Seriously, I mean this in the nicest way, and I don't mean to sound like a cock here, but please stop posting shit like this. Honestly, every single fucking time someone posts bollocks like this (like last year when we got to the final) we don't do it, so it's bullshit. There's nothing written in the stars. Our name is not on any trophy. We were in control of our own destiny at one point, and we flushed it down the drain. That's the reality we are in now. City are in charge. It'll take a monumental fuck up from them, like we did, to toss it away back to us.

Have to agree. There were a load of these for the CL last season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13712 on: April 25, 2019, 07:41:31 pm »
Have to agree. There were a load of these for the CL last season.

He was taking the piss. There were loads of those posted when we won it in 2005 and it proved to be true, it's a coincidence obviously, does no one any harm and has feck all influence on anything.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13713 on: April 25, 2019, 07:43:42 pm »
If we win the title, we win the title. No use thinking so deeply into it. This is already a special season, and I still think there is going to be a twist in the tale. When you have two teams neck and neck for the title like we are in now, something out of the ordinary usually happens.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13714 on: April 25, 2019, 07:44:57 pm »
You just know next season the title winners will do it on 78 points or some shit.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13715 on: April 25, 2019, 07:47:14 pm »
You just know next season the title winners will do it on 78 points or some shit.

I look forward to us winning it with 78 points then

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #13716 on: April 25, 2019, 07:50:35 pm »
If we win the title, we win the title. No use thinking so deeply into it. This is already a special season, and I still think there is going to be a twist in the tale. When you have two teams neck and neck for the title like we are in now, something out of the ordinary usually happens.
Exactly. I’ve had basically no nerves in terms of this title challenge. We’ve already far surpassed expectations. Still hoping for a miracle and some City dropped points, but there’s no outcome that will make me disappointed with our season.

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13717 on: April 25, 2019, 07:51:17 pm »
He was taking the piss. There were loads of those posted when we won it in 2005 and it proved to be true, it's a coincidence obviously, does no one any harm and has feck all influence on anything.

Absolutely spot on. It's posted by myself as a bit of fun with true happenings. If people don't like it, then tough titties, just ignore it, but don't berate someone for having a genuine post of interest (to some). In other words, take a chill pill!!!!

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #13718 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:25 pm »
As much as we like to hold out hope, I think it's almost guaranteed that City will win all of their remaining games and therefore the title will be won.

It was almost guaranteed at half time that AC Milan would win in Istanbul. It was almost guaranteed we'd beat Wimbledon in the FA cup final. It was almost guaranteed we'd pip Arsenal to the title before that late goal. It was almost guaranteed Utd would win the title before Agueroooo. There are quite literally thousands more examples down the ages of surprises and upsets.

Football has no guarantees, and never has. That's why its the world's favourite sport and is so much fun to watch.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13719 on: April 25, 2019, 07:56:22 pm »
For what its worth some of the Mancs seem worried that it is 2019 and title wins will be 20:19.  Their worry continues with 20:20, 20:21......

Now that would be so satisfying.
We are Loyal Supporters