Author Topic: The Hyundai A-League Thread  (Read 84239 times)

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
The Hyundai A-League Thread
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:32:13 am »
Looked back a few pages and couldn't see an A-League thread. Thought i'd start one. Yes, I agree, it's shit quality, but it's us aussies local league, and we need to support it.
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: The Hyundai A-League Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:24:47 am »
I live in Wollongong, not far from Sydney, but I'd never consider supporting an A-League team. The quality is shit, as you said. But that's not the biggest problem. The problem is, for all its shitty quality, I still have to pay to watch a match on TV. That means live games aside, it's way too hard for me to follow the games regularly. Stuff that. I can watch much better football from elsewhere for the same deal.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:29:32 am »
I live in Wollongong, not far from Sydney, but I'd never consider supporting an A-League team. The quality is shit, as you said. But that's not the biggest problem. The problem is, for all its shitty quality, I still have to pay to watch a match on TV. That means live games aside, it's way too hard for me to follow the games regularly. Stuff that. I can watch much better football from elsewhere for the same deal.

I see where your coming from. Being a Sydney lad, you are drawn to your local team, but if I lived down in Wollongong I probably woun't give a shit too. I got Fox to watch LFC, the A-League is just a coincidence. But I would rather watch, Cricket, Rugby and League before it.

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:40:11 am »
Been to a few Victory games and the atmosphere normally makes more of a spectacle than the game itself. Still its much better than that 'ethnic' shit that was served up before the A League started.

One city , one team was a great idea! Fucking cant stand Sydney and Adelaide but maybe Ive become more Victorian over my 11 years here   ;)
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:08:32 am »
Well Adelaide, Queensland and Melbourne have all booked their spot in the finals, the Coast look like getting the other spot, but Wellington, and now Sydney have entered the race. Who do you lot think will get in, and who do you lot reckon will win the title?

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:41:28 am »
I dont really follow the A-League, however I do watch the occasional game and follow it in the papers.

The problem with football in Australia is that it is well down the pecking order of winter sports.

GAYFL, NRL and Super 14 are all ahead at the moment and that doesnt seem like it is going to change. The problem is that all our best homegrown talents; Timmy Cahill, Haz Kewell, Dukes et al get poached by European clubs offering the big bucks at a young age. And who can blame these players for going?

Not just for the money, but if you had the choice between playing infront of 10,000 fans at Aussie Stadium against the Wellington Phoenix or infront of 40,000 fans at Anfield or Goodison or any other Premier League ground what would you choose?

Thats no disrespect to any A-League team, its just the truth. Its great to see players like Craig Moore ending their careers back home. And players like Timmy Cahill and Haz Kewell saying that they intend on finishing their careers here. It can only be good for the game here.

Hopefully the A-League can continue to grow in stature here and I think that gaining the 2018 WC will be a big catalyst for the success of the game here. Hopefully Frank Lowy knows what he is doing..(Im sure that he does.

That being said, I think that Adelaide are the ones to beat this year, their experience in the Asian Champions League will be invaluable.
But being a Sydneysider, my money is on the boys in sky blue to bring home the bacon.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:09:38 am »
I live in Newcastle and go to matches occasionally.  :'( The first few years of the A-league were quite good. The quality of football played wasn't too bad, crowd numbers and interest in the game in general were growing .

This year, however, crowd numbers have dropped. I'd say it's partly because of the economic downturn but mostly because the quality of football played has not improved. We can't compete with overseas clubs for players for obvious reasons, so we need to improve the quality of training/coaching at grassroots level.

Even then, we won't be able to compete with European clubs, but we'll have improved the quality of our national teams and we could become a real force in Asia.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:35:55 am »
I think the quality will slowly improve. I love the MV mainly for the fans. great atmosphere at the dome. And 2 great rivalries. A grandfinal  in Adelaide looks on the cards will be a great fun roadtrip

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:56:19 am »
Apparently Jason Culina is leaving PSV and going to Gold Coast United next season. What a coup for them, eh. Wow, that's my 1000th post.  :champ

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 02:57:13 am »
I think you are jumping the gun abit there....

It still says 998....

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 03:09:11 am »
Apparently Jason Culina is leaving PSV and going to Gold Coast United next season. What a coup for them, eh.

I heard that this morning. Thats fantastic for them. Culina is only 28 isnt he? Good on him, hopefully this will intice a few others to do the same. Would love to see Tim Cahill in a sky blue shirt...

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 03:10:16 am »
I heard that this morning. Thats fantastic for them. Culina is only 28 isnt he? Good on him, hopefully this will intice a few others to do the same. Would love to see Tim Cahill in a sky blue shirt...

Anything to get him out of the blue one he's in currently!

Offline lfc aussie

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:25 am »
I heard on BBC that Queensland Fury were looking to target Robbie Fowler as their main signing. Would love to see him here in australia! But, doubt it will happen. He seems fine in England and coming to a retirement age.

Offline bazjones

• Kopite
  • LFCmelbourne.com.au
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:21:34 am »
I heard on BBC that Queensland Fury were looking to target Robbie Fowler as their main signing. Would love to see him here in australia! But, doubt it will happen. He seems fine in England and coming to a retirement age.

this is what is written on au.fourfourtwo.com

NORTH Queensland Fury FC head coach Ian Ferguson has brokered a meeting with
English superstar Robbie Fowler, the club confirmed this afternoon.

“I’ve been talking with Robbie about coming out to Australia, “ Ferguson said. “I’ve had a long standing relationship with his manager and have met with Robbie
socially a few times.

“He’s agreed to catch up in Townsville for a few days and obviously we’ll be talking about football – we’re looking for a marquee player and Robbie easily fits that position in any A-League football club.”

The meeting brings together one of Scotland’s most celebrated footballers and the striker Liverpool fans still call “God”.

“His record speaks for itself,” Ferguson said "He’s a pure goal scorer who would lift the profile of football in this country to a new level if he were to decide to play in the A-League

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 03:33:16 am »
Didnt Sydney FC try and get Fowler a couple of seasons ago? But he wanted too much money?

Would love him to come here, even for one year but I dont think it will happen.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 03:37:13 am »
Didnt Sydney FC try and get Fowler a couple of seasons ago? But he wanted too much money?

Nah, he wanted to play for Cardiff, who came in with a late offer. Robbie aint to fussed about money, he's loaded already. Love to see him at the Fury! The two new teams are making some big signings! Vanstrattan and Culina to Gold Coast and know possibly God to Fury!

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 04:32:03 am »
Fury is shocking name....be awesome to see God play for a club here though.
TIPS:
Adelaide top of the league
Melbourne premiers

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 06:08:54 am »
It's a shame that the mighty Glory didn't produce this type of form earlier on the season instead of now. I'm tipping Adelaide to win the Grand Final.

Good luck to Rukavytsya on his trial in Holland.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 06:20:53 am »
No offence guys but the A League is where old dogs go to die.

Any Aussie footballer that's remotely good is playing abroad.

The standard is absolutely unadulteratedly shite.

I've lived in Sydney for nigh on 18 months and I've only gone to one game. Says it all really, I honestly can't be arsed.

The only thing good about the game was how passionate the fans in the Cove End were.

And anyway, where's the fun watching a match that's on at a sociable hour? Much more fun at around 2 in the morning!!

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 12:26:24 am »
I have lived in sydney my whole life and I have never been to a game. (granted the A league has only been around since '05).

Sure the quality is shit, but it can only improve. The WC in 06 did wonders for the status of the game here. If we can get to Sth Africa next year it will be the same and if we can land the Cup in 2018 then I think we will start to see a major lift in quality as more and more fans are drawn to the game.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 02:52:27 am »
No offence guys but the A League is where old dogs go to die.

Any Aussie footballer that's remotely good is playing abroad.

The standard is absolutely unadulteratedly shite.

I've lived in Sydney for nigh on 18 months and I've only gone to one game. Says it all really, I honestly can't be arsed.

The only thing good about the game was how passionate the fans in the Cove End were.

And anyway, where's the fun watching a match that's on at a sociable hour? Much more fun at around 2 in the morning!!

Agree with you, the only reason I have ever gone to games is because of the great support in the cove.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 02:53:20 am »
I have lived in sydney my whole life and I have never been to a game. (granted the A league has only been around since '05).

Sure the quality is shit, but it can only improve. The WC in 06 did wonders for the status of the game here. If we can get to Sth Africa next year it will be the same and if we can land the Cup in 2018 then I think we will start to see a major lift in quality as more and more fans are drawn to the game.

Yeah, don't think we will get it in 2018, but i think 2222 is a real possibility.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:56 am »
Yeah, don't think we will get it in 2018, but i think 2222 is a real possibility.

Did you mean 2022?

I think that 2018 is a real longshot..... I think it will mos probably go to a European Country. But you can never discount Frank Lowy. He must think it is realistic or otherwise he would not be campaigning.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 04:51:33 am »
Did you mean 2022?

I think that 2018 is a real longshot..... I think it will mos probably go to a European Country. But you can never discount Frank Lowy. He must think it is realistic or otherwise he would not be campaigning.

Oh, yeah. Not counting us out of 2018, just don't think we are going to get it, probably end up going to Ingurland.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 06:34:27 am »
Last two rounds of the minor round to go. Plenty at stake in terms of top four positions.
                                           (Points)
1    Adelaide United FC               34
2    Melbourne Victory FC            32
3    Queensland Roar FC              30
4    Central Coast Mariners FC      28
5    Wellington Phoenix FC           25
6    Sydney FC                          23
7    Perth Glory FC                     22
8    Newcastle Jets FC                15
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 02:35:12 am »
Melbourne take down the Coast. Lots of pressure on the Mariners now Phoenix and Sydney are snapping at their heels. The Victory have put pressure on Adelaide to perform now. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 06:33:19 am »
Robbie's in Australia and set to have talks.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline lfc aussie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 08:27:53 am »
Ive been to about 10 melbourne victory games. The best thing about it is the atmosphere. 20 thousand + people at the telstra dome really sets it off. I guess the problem with the a-league is the financial aspect and salaray cap, plus the fact no one would want to play in australia. We dont have 250m dollars to spend on beckham to join sydney, unlike MLS, but nontheless, the aleague will aim to be the stepping stone for young australian talents. It is up to those young players to make a name for themselves here first, go abroad and become a footballer.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 08:55:17 am »
Ive been to about 10 melbourne victory games. The best thing about it is the atmosphere. 20 thousand + people at the telstra dome really sets it off. I guess the problem with the a-league is the financial aspect and salaray cap, plus the fact no one would want to play in australia. We dont have 250m dollars to spend on beckham to join sydney, unlike MLS, but nontheless, the aleague will aim to be the stepping stone for young australian talents. It is up to those young players to make a name for themselves here first, go abroad and become a footballer.

I think as football grows in Australia (an in turn, the league), the salary cap will be made larger/lifted and more money, fans and interest will come in. I think that in 20 years football will be the no.1 sport in OZ. All of the teenagers and adolesants are playing football, watching football, and are walking around in A-League, Premier League, National Team and big european teams replica shirts. The league will thus grow, and I think it potential, if managed correctly to be a big as any league in Asia.

Offline lfc aussie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 09:15:14 am »
Totally agree. Plus, if we can land the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, that will be a massive boost to the sport.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 09:24:29 am »
Totally agree. Plus, if we can land the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, that will be a massive boost to the sport.

Yeah. The 03 Rugby world cup (shut up poms, your crap) following the 99 win really boosted Rugby, it should have a better effect with football due to the higher participation.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 09:36:06 am »
I think as football grows in Australia (an in turn, the league), the salary cap will be made larger/lifted and more money, fans and interest will come in. I think that in 20 years football will be the no.1 sport in OZ. All of the teenagers and adolesants are playing football, watching football, and are walking around in A-League, Premier League, National Team and big european teams replica shirts. The league will thus grow, and I think it potential, if managed correctly to be a big as any league in Asia.

I have to disagree with Football becoming the no.1 sport in OZ. Football will not overtake A.F.L for at least double that as long as the A.F.L leave the rules how they are and don't turn it into a pussy game. Make it like the 70s and 80s again with all the hard hits. The reason why you see lots of people with replica shirts is because of the large amount of British ex-pats over here. Most Aussie people I know hate football and would never watch a game if you paid them.

As for the salary cap, it is great because on any given day anyone can beat anyone. It makes the league far more exciting but they will eventually have to get rid of it if they want the A-league to become more popular. They need to spend shit loads of money to get the better players here in their prime instead of when they are at the end of their careers.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 09:42:57 am »
I have to disagree with Football becoming the no.1 sport in OZ. Football will not overtake A.F.L for at least double that as long as the A.F.L leave the rules how they are and don't turn it into a pussy game. Make it like the 70s and 80s again with all the hard hits. The reason why you see lots of people with replica shirts is because of the large amount of British ex-pats over here. Most Aussie people I know hate football and would never watch a game if you paid them.

As for the salary cap, it is great because on any given day anyone can beat anyone. It makes the league far more exciting but they will eventually have to get rid of it if they want the A-league to become more popular. They need to spend shit loads of money to get the better players here in their prime instead of when they are at the end of their careers.

Do u live in melbourne? I live in Sydney, and it's almost as popular as NRL here now. In some parts of Melbourne it's considered a "pussy game", but in "ethnic areas" people like it. And the younger generation are getting into it. More people play Football than AFL/Auskick in Melbourne. Its getting quite popular in Adelaide and Queensland now also.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 10:19:56 am »
Do u live in melbourne? I live in Sydney, and it's almost as popular as NRL here now. In some parts of Melbourne it's considered a "pussy game", but in "ethnic areas" people like it. And the younger generation are getting into it. More people play Football than AFL/Auskick in Melbourne. Its getting quite popular in Adelaide and Queensland now also.

Nah I live in Perth and A.F.L is still way more popular over here than Football although a lot more people are getting interested in the game. I am surprised it hasn't taken off over here since we have a lot of British ex-pats as well as a lot of Croatians, Portuguese, Serbs.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 10:32:57 am »
I"ve been to couple of Roar games and thought the atmosphere was alright - and it was certainly very good value, only $15ish I think. The football is doss, but hopefully it will improve in time.  I agree that we should support our own league, and I think it's getting pretty popular among younger kids who play soccer, which can only be a good thing.
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 11:00:54 am »
As a Melbournian I would say that football has already overtaken AFL in terms of what kids play at school. It is true that most Bogans dislike football, saying they can't understand how you can play for 90 minutes and not score. However AFL is turning into a pussy game, there is no doubt it, you nearly see as much physical contact in a football match and I know I have started to really turn away from it completely.

I am from the Western suburbs of Melbourne though and it is really an ethnic area, so I can't speak for all of Melbourne, however you wouldn't be caught dead playing AFL over Football in my area.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:50 am »
It is true that most Bogans dislike football, saying they can't understand how you can play for 90 minutes and not score.

That is exactly what my mates who don't watch it say and so does my dad.

However AFL is turning into a pussy game, there is no doubt it, you nearly see as much physical contact in a football match and I know I have started to really turn away from it completely.

I am from the Western suburbs of Melbourne though and it is really an ethnic area, so I can't speak for all of Melbourne, however you wouldn't be caught dead playing AFL over Football in my area.

It is turning into a pussy game and it's because you can't even give someone a basic 'hip and shoulder' without getting in trouble these days. Take us back to the good old days of the 70s and 80s. Although I am too young to remember any of it I have seen tapes of it and it was boss. Also listening to my dad talk about it while watching matches these recent seasons. How many times have we seen replays of Leigh Mathews snapping the post as well as highlights from the 89 GF between Hawthorn and Geelong.

In my area, you see more people kicking a football than a soccer ball. A lot of the kids at schools these days over here are seen to kick a footy around more than a soccer ball. I live near a few areas that have quite a few Aboriginals so that would be one reason why. Like you said, I can't speak for the whole of Perth.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 11:41:25 am »
Soccer was definitely the most popular sport when I grew up on the Sunshine Coast. Seemed like everyone played until they went to high school and then started playing proper Aussie sports - rugby, cricket, league etc...
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline red_kopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 12:16:52 pm »
Robbie to sign for the Fury within the next week!
One Night in MAY!

I come from a land down under

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 01:52:16 pm »
It is turning into a pussy game and it's because you can't even give someone a basic 'hip and shoulder' without getting in trouble these days. Take us back to the good old days of the 70s and 80s. Although I am too young to remember any of it I have seen tapes of it and it was boss. Also listening to my dad talk about it while watching matches these recent seasons. How many times have we seen replays of Leigh Mathews snapping the post as well as highlights from the 89 GF between Hawthorn and Geelong.

In my area, you see more people kicking a football than a soccer ball. A lot of the kids at schools these days over here are seen to kick a footy around more than a soccer ball. I live near a few areas that have quite a few Aboriginals so that would be one reason why. Like you said, I can't speak for the whole of Perth.

Without going to far off topic you are completely correct, the hip and shoulder has been forced out of the game and is illegal to perform even though it was part of the game for the 100 years previous of AFL rules football. It will never come back and only progress further to the point where only pure athletes will be playing and players like Locket, Sav, Dipper and such will be gone. Saying that, even all time greats like Ablett would be called cheats if playing today because of how rough they were. 89 is proof of it when he punctured Dippers lung with a hip and shoulder.

The biggest thing that will bring along Football in Australia and help the A-league blossom is World Cup qualification, and I'm not talking about just one more time. If we qualify and regular occasion and Australian players are seen playing against the best in the World then I feel this would be AFL's worst nightmare. If our national team gains the respect it currently lacks within Australia then so will the A-League.

For me it's only a matter of time before Football is number one in Australia, it may be quite a long time though but it will happen. AFL cannot compete with a sport that is played by the entire world when AFL will never go outside Australia professionally.