Author Topic: Liverpool Players told not to Stop at Melwood to Sign Autographs or Selfies  (Read 17696 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
I did notice the most angry person on Twitter seemed to be someone who sold footie memorabilia. Did rise a wry smile.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline lmccallion7

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Think it is fair enough to stop it if there is genuine safety concerns. Also completely disagree with people making money from signed memorabilia and they is only one way to stop that.

Offline exino

• tic tac toe
  • Kopite
  • Youth coach. Total football proponent. JFT96.
From most manager's and coach's perspectives the players should not be stopping at all on their way into training. It's nothing but a distraction and impediment for players who are already in the mindset to train. After training is finished though I don't see much of an issue with it.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2017, 04:33:13 pm by exino »
"Football is a simple game, yet it is difficult to play simple football."- Johan Cruyff

Offline exino

• tic tac toe
  • Kopite
  • Youth coach. Total football proponent. JFT96.
I see many of you don't seem to understand the clubs reasoning behind this but it's mostly to prevent any interferences to the players training and to help them be more productive when they arrive for training. There are also the security concerns.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:49:18 am by exino »
"Football is a simple game, yet it is difficult to play simple football."- Johan Cruyff

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I see many of you don't seem to understand the clubs reasoning behind this but it's mostly to prevent any interferences to the players training and to help them be more productive when they arrive for training. There are also the security concerns on top of that.
those nobs who hang around so they can get a shirt to flog on eBay are probably the ones who led to this, those pics I see lots of adults and few kids

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
The latter are everywhere these days. A friend is an autograph hunter. He came to Liverpool when Arsenal were playing (He's an Arsenal fan) and he went to Melwood to collect autographs (he wanted Gerrards, the most valuable at the time). I went with him to keep him company. It was all very strange. I reckon there were 5 professional 'graphers' to every ordinary fan... snip.
Jeez!
I didn't realise it had got that bad; Lot different to when I was a kid  :(
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
I see many of you don't seem to understand the clubs reasoning behind this but it's mostly to prevent any interferences to the players training and to help them be more productive when they arrive for training. There are also the security concerns on top of that.

The main reason will be the safety of the public. As DonkeyWan and others have described, there is a real problem with pedestrians and vehicles mixing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LucyLFC

• Kopite
I've only ever been outside Melwood twice, it's not fair to the ones who are genuine fans and want to have selfies with their favourite players and not take things there for the players to sign just to make money, I remember a couple of people getting stuff signed, one of them must have been doing it to sell it and make money which is wrong on so many levels, I went there to catch a selfie with Danny Ings, the other players were a bonus, but I do understand the safety concerns behind it, the kids do run in front of the cars and even the adults sometimes and that is one huge safety risk right there, i'm gutted that I won't be able to get anymore selfies but I'd be happy enough just to watch them drive out of Melwood if I'm honest!

I know it's a long standing tradition, I do think in a way it is furthering the relationship between the players and the fans by stopping this but if there is a health and safety risk involved, it does need to be addressed. Hopefully they'll come to a solution about it all soon.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
This fella outside Melwood would be ace

His game isn't as strong as Rick from Hedonism II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVtEX1J7tXQ

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
Did this used to happen on weekdays? The kids should be in school, so anyone there is either bunking off or one of those autograph collectors, neither of which should be encouraged.

Offline justarslan

• Legacy Fan
  • Join Spirit Of Shankly!
    • Spirit Of Shankly
I can remember the time the players parked their cars behind the main stand in the late sixties and happily signed autographs both before and after a match. Wow how times have changed.

How much was season ticket in those days? It is greed is good sport now.
I want to hold my hands up and apologise to Rafa.
Give me the cold steel of the European Cup over a warm smile any day.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
Funny how times have changed. When I was a kid we used to go up to Melwood to get autographs. The car park gates were open and you could just walk in and wait for the players to arrive (in their sponsored cars!) and get autographs. When I first went (in the late 60s) we were even allowed to stay to watch the players train and act as ballboys. By the end of the decade, we used to get kicked out once the players had arrived, but at least as late as 1971 we could still get autographs. I've got a souvenir brochure for the 1971 Cup Final signed by all the players but I can't remember going again after that.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
the thing is though, times have changed. Social media being the biggest change, and quite frankly the biggest pain in the arse for society. The need to have a selfie, a picture of a "celebrity" and then post it on Instagram, twitter, facebook...

Also the element of money, footballers who earn so much money now, they are easy targets. You have to look at Andy Carroll - targetted by a criminal gang to kidnap or whatever... I can't have any issue with the latest stance on this. If this wasn't brought in and something were to happen to one of our players... you'd know there would be people asking the question...

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
I've only ever been outside Melwood twice, it's not fair to the ones who are genuine fans and want to have selfies with their favourite players and not take things there for the players to sign just to make money, I remember a couple of people getting stuff signed, one of them must have been doing it to sell it and make money which is wrong on so many levels, I went there to catch a selfie with Danny Ings, the other players were a bonus, but I do understand the safety concerns behind it, the kids do run in front of the cars and even the adults sometimes and that is one huge safety risk right there, i'm gutted that I won't be able to get anymore selfies but I'd be happy enough just to watch them drive out of Melwood if I'm honest!

I know it's a long standing tradition, I do think in a way it is furthering the relationship between the players and the fans by stopping this but if there is a health and safety risk involved, it does need to be addressed. Hopefully they'll come to a solution about it all soon.
If you're going to get a seflie at least make sure you display it the right way up

;)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Sad but I do understand it. I went there as a kid many many years ago a few times. If safety is genuinely an issue then it is probably the only thing to do. It would make sense to then perhaps arrange open training days every so often like they do when on tour. I am sure there are ways of making the players accessible to the fans (other than match days) at the right time
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
I can remember the time the players parked their cars behind the main stand in the late sixties and happily signed autographs both before and after a match. Wow how times have changed.

Gerry Byrne was just getting into his VW Beetle in the main stand car park when I asked him to sign my autograph book. I asked him to sign it 'Gerry Byrne, crunch, crunch' (his chant). He said  (growled) 'don't be fu**ing funny son and drove off. No autograph that day :(

Offline LucyLFC

• Kopite
If you're going to get a seflie at least make sure you display it the right way up

;)

Haha every time I try and upload a new profile picture on here it always goes sideways :o

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
How much was season ticket in those days? It is greed is good sport now.
If I can remember it was something like £20 max.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline electricsheep17

• Boys Pen
Melwood training
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2017, 03:15:15 pm »
Hi - does anyone know what time the lads train at Melwood? Is there a set schedule? I keep missing them   :(

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Re: Melwood training
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2017, 05:47:27 pm »
Barry the Head of Security at Melwood waits for you to leave before calling the players forward.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline electricsheep17

• Boys Pen
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2017, 07:27:16 am »
That seems a shame, a lot of fans wait outside there all day in the cold and rain

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2017, 07:45:23 am »
They don't train there anymore , they get changed into there kit there , all leave a secret door on the main road then jog up and train on the bill shankly playing fields until about one , drive past them every day .

Offline The Istvan Kozma Fan Club

• Kopite
I remember that day... Dunk at the gates of Melwood. His humongous arse blocked the entire Deysbrook Lane! The club must have done something about it...
« Last Edit: April 8, 2017, 02:33:55 pm by The Istvan Kozma Fan Club »

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
I have two words for this thread.

John Lennon.
Kill the humourless

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight

John Lennon.
That example rings especially true in the age of the smartphone. It doesn't necessarily have to be anywhere near as drastic an example as the one you gave, but some morons will do anything if they know they can get people to watch.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan

John Lennon.

Britain doesn't have crazy yanks with guns
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline The Istvan Kozma Fan Club

• Kopite

John Lennon.

Elvis lives.

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Britain doesn't have crazy yanks with guns
Problem solved.
Kill the humourless