Author Topic: A question for you oldies in particular! (Update....yay I'm still arsed!)  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Priory Road

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: A question for you oldies in particular!
« Reply #40 on: September 5, 2020, 06:55:35 pm »
You can never get enough of a good thing!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #41 on: September 5, 2020, 07:01:58 pm »
Is one League title being on top of the mountain though. What happened to building us into a bastion of invincibility.

I think that Shanks quote is far more difficult to achieve these days, because some fans only recognize the Prem and CL as worthy success. To win the CL or Prem again with any kind of regularity would be an incredible achievement, but what if both elude us for a few seasons, but we pick up the FA and League Cup and the Europa League a few times in that period.

Would that be considered becoming 'a bastion of invincibility'?

It's slightly off topic, but my original point is my hunger and desire has waned slightly after the past 2 successful seasons, I will less stressed now if we don't win the Title and CL for a while, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome success in the domestic cups and the Europa League in their place.

« Last Edit: September 5, 2020, 07:04:07 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #42 on: September 5, 2020, 07:23:51 pm »
I think that Shanks quote is far more difficult to achieve these days, because some fans only recognize the Prem and CL as worthy success. To win the CL or Prem again with any kind of regularity would be an incredible achievement, but what if both elude us for a few seasons, but we pick up the FA and League Cup and the Europa League a few times in that period.

Would that be considered becoming 'a bastion of invincibility'?

It's slightly off topic, but my original point is my hunger and desire has waned slightly after the past 2 successful seasons, I will less stressed now if we don't win the Title and CL for a while, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome success in the domestic cups and the Europa League in their place.

I think the Shanks quote is about being the undisputed number one team on the planet. About them having to get a team from Mars to beat us. We have had a great couple of seasons but I think if we are being honest then we can't really claim to be the undisputed best or biggest team on the planet.

I think as a team Bayern are probably the best team and the likes of Bayern, Madrid and Barca could legitimately claim to be bigger than us. That is why our recent success should just be seen as a base camp and that we should push on and get after those aforementioned clubs.

As for the hunger I think that is what has driven on the players. Whilst the League was lovely losing to Atlético was horrible. Hopefully Klopp is pushing the players to regain the CL and win the League and get a proper homecoming post COVID.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #43 on: September 5, 2020, 07:30:37 pm »
Is one League title being on top of the mountain though. What happened to building us into a bastion of invincibility.

Liverpool are definitely top of the mountain over the last year.

Thing is, dynasties are built by climbing not just one mountain (even if it is the biggest one) but numerous mountains over a period of time.

Each new season is basically a different mountain and reaching the peak may take different routes and come with different challenges.

With Klopp leading from base camp, I'm pretty sure the club and the team will be as hungry as ever, and maybe even moreso now they have tasted the food on the top table. Winning is an addictive habit, and once you taste it, you want more and more.

My hunger and desire as a Liverpool fan has not waned at all. Wider interest in the game has done, but that's nothing to do with LFC. I want us to win everything, all of the time. I want us to crush all opposition. Having said that, I think we can all maybe learn to relax a bit more than we do. Most of us have survived the tragedies of Heysel and Hillsborough. Come through the low points in the 90s and the whole Hicks, Gillett and Hodgson debacle. We've rebuilt and have won all there is to win. This is what it is to support this club. We've seen it all and experienced it all, yet there is always more do do and more to experience. The rollercoaster always takes you on real highs and real lows, but you always want to get back on again at some point. I think that we should all maybe take stock and realise that we've survived everything and proved our worth. We have nothing left to prove so, now, we can maybe afford to relax more and just be. Relax and see where the next ride takes us, but leaving the angst behind us now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 12:32:56 pm »
Well thankfully I am still up for today's game, especially cos I have no time for Leeds. But I live 2 mins from the ground and I can't get used to this eerie feeling of a near desolate match day. It's normally buzzing early doors on match day, all the local shops and pubs doing well etc.

Just hope our lads can do the business in an empty stadium. The remainder of last season was a bit different , the title was in the bag and the pressure was off.

Now it starts for real again. and as Champions the pressure is very much on!

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Re: A question for you oldies in particular! (Update....yay I'm still arsed!)
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2020, 01:47:08 pm »
There are many things I really hate about wider football. More specifically the obscene amounts of money involved, the internet cess-pit, "talking points", the removal of the game from the interests of match-going fans.

This year has also been a weird one for me. Not just because of Covid-19, but because I moved away from Liverpool and out of the country at the end of last year. I realised that a lot of my attachment to football was the attachment to the rituals I had with all my mates, whether watching it in the pub, a mates house or more irregularly the stadium, and the wider social aspect associated with it. Moving away meant I have had to learn to enjoy the football more on my own, or otherwise watching with people who don't share the same passion for this club (or the city itself).

Obviously the removal of fans from the stadiums, and being denied a trophy parade, which I had already booked planes home for and all the rest of it, was disappointing. In fact, despite waiting my whole life for it, there was a few games towards the end after the Covid-induced break that I missed entirely. All that said, I still wasn't prepared for how emotional I would be watching us lift the league trophy for the first time in my life (even if I was just sat on a park bench watching it through my phone), and despite not having so many people to share it with, the buzz is still strong months later. So the passion is definitely still there.

As for today, I'm now absolutely buzzing for the new season to start. With the so-called monkey of our backs, I am happy to just sit back and watch us have another go without that additional pressure. That said I want to win it more then ever, because I want that trophy parade and I want it won in front of a full Anfield! That is the new driving motivation that I think will help push us above and beyond, aside from the usual. I also know this is going to be perhaps our toughest season yet in terms of competition, and that's got me even more excited. It just means I am going to have to try harder to avoid social media after we inevitably drop points, because it is going to be more a cess pit then ever.

But remove yourself from that, and I still love this club and all its associations, and I still love the sport itself. So lets have it!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2020, 02:00:20 pm »

To be fair it took Shankly two attempts to build a bastion, or more accurately a dynasty.

The early to mid sixties team were very good domestically but unfortunate in Europe. From 1967-1971 were pretty mediocre with expensive buys like Hatrley and Evans not being what we needed.

What was happening that a series of young, unheralded players were brought in - Keegan, Clemence, Heighway, Hall, Thompson etc. Could you imagine the fume now if players were from those sources now (Not Thompson obviously).

I woud suggest that the true seeds of invincibilty and the dynasty that followed was sown in that FA Cup final defeat to Arsenal in 1971.

Anyway enough of a thread detour.

Offline 5Goldstars

• Main Stander
  • ........Make that 6 Gold Stars
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 03:18:17 am »
Standing on the Kop in 1990 against QPR as a 16 year old if someone
had said to me that the next time we win the league i'd have a 18 year old kid and a mortgage i wouldn't of believed it obviously

It's been a long rocky road just glad we managed it at last and
yeah it seems hard to be up for it the same at the moment just the older you get priorities change too especially at the moment
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 03:22:39 am by 5Goldstars »
Liverpool fc, bastion of invincibility

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2020, 07:12:59 pm »
I still feel exactly as I did when 10 and watching us beat West Ham in the 81 League Cup Final replay. But no fans in the grounds is a bit shit isn't it.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 07:32:00 pm »
I'm sticking with my original thoughts about watching other games other than ours, can't be arsed with that. I was deffo more up the Leeds game than I previously anticipated, but as others have said footy without fans is a bit shit.

No opposition knobheads to wind up, deserted streets that should be doing a roaring pre match trade, magnificent goals met in near silence etc etc. I know it's a relief footy is back at all, but played in an empty stadium the games have the feel of a pre season knock about!

I still feel far less stressed than I have for years after the brilliant achievements of the past 2 seasons, even Everton being top doesn't bother me. Mind you, just just heard the Mancs are 3-1 down which made me laugh as much as it ever would!

But as far as we're concerned, it'll be fantastic we can win the big ones again, but if not I won't be that gutted, I would deffo settle for domestic Cup success as a alternative. The FA and League Cups are still counted in our total of 'Major' honours if won and shouldn't be looked down on.

Edit....and I hate VAR too!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:35:49 pm by mikeb58 »

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2020, 08:20:15 pm »
I'm sticking with my original thoughts about watching other games other than ours, can't be arsed with that. I was deffo more up the Leeds game than I previously anticipated, but as others have said footy without fans is a bit shit.

No opposition knobheads to wind up, deserted streets that should be doing a roaring pre match trade, magnificent goals met in near silence etc etc. I know it's a relief footy is back at all, but played in an empty stadium the games have the feel of a pre season knock about!

I still feel far less stressed than I have for years after the brilliant achievements of the past 2 seasons, even Everton being top doesn't bother me. Mind you, just just heard the Mancs are 3-1 down which made me laugh as much as it ever would!

But as far as we're concerned, it'll be fantastic we can win the big ones again, but if not I won't be that gutted, I would deffo settle for domestic Cup success as a alternative. The FA and League Cups are still counted in our total of 'Major' honours if won and shouldn't be looked down on.

Edit....and I hate VAR too!

I'm 63, so only a year older than your good self. The relief of finally winning it again after 30 years left me feeling the same way you did insofar it was 'job-done' & time to hang up the emotional millstone for good. But now the new season has started I've really gotten back into the groove again (Pre-match butterflies and all that). Watching United's fall from grace has been highly satisfactory over recent years, but until we'd got our hands on the PL title the pleasure of their demise was slightly tainted. I was sat in the Kop back in the 90's with my son who would have been about 8 or 9 at the time, & watched as United beat us 3-1. My lad said the thing he always remembers from that match was the Mancs singing 'you're not famous anymore' just as the match was coming to an end. He's now in his early 30's & he was sobbing down the phone after City lost to Chelsea to confirm us as champions. Growing up watching that lot win numerous titles played it's toll on him & seeing us finally do it was all too much for him. So I now want to see us go on & win more, a lot more, for the thousands of the younger supporters like my boy who had to suffer a lot more than the likes of you & I did because we have all those happy memories of us being top dogs for years & years whilst United were a constant source of amusement to us, just like they are now.

Happy days.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 09:24:04 pm »
I’m 50, and although 77/78 was my first time on the Kop, the 80s were my time, winning everything, Wembley was Anfield South, and that 87/88 side was probably the pinnacle. In the mid-90s the interest dropped off a bit for various reasons, but then the treble year rejuvenated it all for me and I followed the Reds round Europe during the noughties with Istanbul shining brightly in the middle of that time. The last decade has been the most I’ve watched on the box rather than in the ground. My Fancard got me in for the cup runs and some great nights like Dortmund, and my STH mates got me in for league games, so 10 or so games a season was enough for me. I couldn’t justify more financially so never got a membership. Finally the Fancards became redundant so I’ve hardly been at all over the last two seasons. But the feelings didn’t subside and I was emotional as the next fan as we lifted the two big ones. I’m now resigned to not going, even if fans are allowed back in I know I’ll rarely be there. It hurts when I see tourists who don’t really care, I mean REALLY care. I’d go and watch this team home and away if I could, but I know it’s impossible. And to be frank, I can’t be arsed with the whole membership and scramble for tickets. There’s plenty who can and they deserve to go. But there was nothing as good as turning up and paying on the gate and occasionally getting locked out. Those were the days and unless we have a prolonged period of failure (which no one wants) they’re unlikely to be seen again. Different times, BUT you can still feel the echo of them on the Kop, even today. That’s what I love about this club. It has roots, and history, and tradition. Anfield has changed, but possibly less so than many other grounds. The club needs to plan for the future though. Get more young locals in to carry on the traditions. Now is the time to capitalise on the success once fans are allowed back. Less tourists, more locals. I love our international appeal and global fanbase, but we must also preserve and nurture our local identity as, conversely, that’s a large part of our global appeal.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2020, 06:47:48 am »
I am also 62 and the main driver to me is to get past 20 league wins and go clear of that lot.
We have a squad of real quality now and I think it is achievable over the next 3-4 years. Growing up as the dominant team as line ups changed was brilliant and it feels like we are there again. The main opposition has changed in a given season but there was always someone!
As a Dad I remember apologising to my two daughters when Blackpool beat us under Hodgson. To have them proud and buzzing now is an extra bonus. They both live in Liverpool and love being able to be Red and proud of it.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2020, 02:41:18 pm »
As a Dad I remember apologising to my two daughters when Blackpool beat us under Hodgson...

*shudder*  I was at that toss. The big Greek fella whose name I can never spell (Kyrgiakos? ) got our goal I think. But 2 down at HT was the killer.
edit: assuming you mean at Anfield
officially accepted RAWK source of information