Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446372 times)

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #6560 on: September 14, 2020, 04:57:54 am »
He'll be fine.
Believer

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #6561 on: September 14, 2020, 04:40:18 pm »
Haha e didn’t take the bollocking from Ali well.

Good to see.

Never seen Ali go at someone like that before haha. he's usually the calm one.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #6562 on: September 15, 2020, 06:20:58 am »
Never seen Ali go at someone like that before haha. he's usually the calm one.

I didn't catch that at all. Was it after the second goal?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6563 on: September 15, 2020, 06:43:58 am »
Good to have these sorts of issues manifest and sorted out at the start of the season.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6564 on: September 20, 2020, 09:17:46 pm »
Fab was excellent today but surprised there’s been no love for Virgil. I guess we’re just used to him cruising through games like today. Didn’t put a foot wrong.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6565 on: September 21, 2020, 03:09:55 am »
Fab was excellent today but surprised there’s been no love for Virgil. I guess we’re just used to him cruising through games like today. Didn’t put a foot wrong.
Fabinho is the one they targeted, so, naturally, we saw him doing more obvious work, e.g. facing one-on-ones.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #6566 on: October 5, 2020, 05:57:41 am »
Needs to get his head out of his arse. I'm not sure if all of the praise lavished on him has got to his head but it seems like he's putting in the bare minimum most of the time just because he thinks he can. Even so he's still better than 70% of most defenders out there but we all know the heights he can hit so he really needs to get back to that.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6567 on: October 5, 2020, 06:45:47 am »
He is a great defender, but not a great leader (yet).
« Last Edit: October 5, 2020, 07:08:25 am by him_15 »
Believer

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6568 on: October 5, 2020, 07:45:30 am »
He is a great defender, but not a great leader (yet).
Interesting. I too feel that Virg plays better when Hendo or Milner are wearing the captains armband. It’s like the extra duties put a ted more load on him.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #6569 on: October 5, 2020, 08:46:33 am »
He's the best centre half we've ever had, but he needs a rocket up his arse at the moment. Far too laid back.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6570 on: October 5, 2020, 08:51:22 am »
Been really poor pretty much since lockdown ending. The signs were there end of the last season and we were happy to write it off due to us having already won the league.

But he's carried it through to this season too. Some self reflection needed by him (and i extend this to Trent too). They've become far too complacent and not doing enough to hold themselves to a higher standard.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6571 on: October 5, 2020, 08:52:01 am »
miss the days when he would outmuscle CF's & be more aggressive.
Far too laid back & stand offish for a while now.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6572 on: October 5, 2020, 09:05:10 am »
Was it his coach at Holland in his early days said that his only weakness was a tendency to switch off when there is no pressure? Focus Virgil lad and getting barking at that line again.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6573 on: October 5, 2020, 09:46:05 am »
I think that rash clattering of Barkley for which he was booked summed up his performance - out of sync, strangely lacking control and completely out of character.

It's a shame there's these ridiculous internationals to play, as time at the training ground away from the pressure of matches (of course this won't happen this season) would do him and the squad the world of good.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #6574 on: October 5, 2020, 01:25:03 pm »
He's really out of sorts at the moment, isn't he?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6575 on: October 5, 2020, 07:45:10 pm »
When you consider what this this team have achieved in numbers of records I wouldn't dismiss the chance that it has exhausted some of the players mentally, if not physically. They have achieved things in terms of result that no other team has ever managed. That must take energy from people, even athletes like these. How much further can we go on expecting the same level of endeavour and effort? It wouldn't be so bad if this was a normal season with a proper pre-season, but its not. So much is being asked by the footballing authorities with very little care for the welfare of the players concerned. While its certainly apparent we can play better, it may just be the start of the players losing a bit of that incredible drive that they had to win the title, when they took City on in the way they did. In a normal season, I would certainly back the team to at least challenge, but this season is a bit of an unknown as results across the continent have shown recently.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6576 on: October 5, 2020, 08:29:08 pm »
Still waiting for him to return from his holiday.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6577 on: October 5, 2020, 08:38:37 pm »
Still waiting for him to return from his holiday.

Which holiday?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6578 on: October 5, 2020, 08:42:36 pm »
Which holiday?

The one he's been on since we won the league.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #6579 on: October 5, 2020, 09:02:10 pm »
He's really out of sorts at the moment, isn't he?

I do feel that he is not concentrating 100% and not performing at his exceptionally high standards.
#JFT97

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6580 on: October 5, 2020, 09:25:20 pm »
I do feel that he is not concentrating 100% and not performing at his exceptionally high standards.
the captaincy adding to the pressure on him, I feel, like in the old Hyypia days.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #6581 on: October 5, 2020, 10:29:32 pm »
He's the best centre half we've ever had, but he needs a rocket up his arse at the moment. Far too laid back.
A long way to go before you can say that.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6582 on: October 5, 2020, 10:33:17 pm »
It's amazing isn't it. Here we have the best centre back I've ever seen play for us, possibly the best the league has ever seen, definitely the best in the world at present and the last few seasons. He's completely class. He has what, 2? poor games and everyone is saying he has been bad for a while now, he's not on it, he's slackened.  Go back even 1 page and there was literally no one mentioning a thing about any of that, it was full of comments how he has been immense all season, best defender ever, up there with Baresi and co. He's had 1 or 2 iffy games. Even Van Dijk needs a midfield in front of him to make tackles, close people down and track runners, none of which happened last night. He was brilliant against Arsenal and Chelsea.
I'm not saying he's not open to criticism because he is and that's fair enough but be fair with it. I think he was poor last night myself, but I also think a lot of it was due to poor defending from those in front of him.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #6583 on: October 6, 2020, 09:04:15 am »
He's done an interview with Eddie Hearn coming out for is podcast "No Passion No Point" in the next couple months.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6584 on: October 6, 2020, 09:06:09 am »
It's amazing isn't it. Here we have the best centre back I've ever seen play for us, possibly the best the league has ever seen, definitely the best in the world at present and the last few seasons. He's completely class. He has what, 2? poor games and everyone is saying he has been bad for a while now, he's not on it, he's slackened.  Go back even 1 page and there was literally no one mentioning a thing about any of that, it was full of comments how he has been immense all season, best defender ever, up there with Baresi and co. He's had 1 or 2 iffy games. Even Van Dijk needs a midfield in front of him to make tackles, close people down and track runners, none of which happened last night. He was brilliant against Arsenal and Chelsea.
I'm not saying he's not open to criticism because he is and that's fair enough but be fair with it. I think he was poor last night myself, but I also think a lot of it was due to poor defending from those in front of him.

I may be wrong but I don't think any of our midfield made a tackle. I may have blinked but Villa seemed to win the ball in midfield with ease.

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6585 on: October 6, 2020, 09:19:00 am »
54 years since I went my first game and Van Dyke is the best I've seen for us -  slightly off last few games admitted - but everyone will have a dip in form at some point

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6586 on: October 6, 2020, 09:24:10 am »
the captaincy adding to the pressure on him, I feel, like in the old Hyypia days.

Hansen was never keen on the captaincy either. As a stand in I'd pick Robertson, more grit, less diplomatic though.

Offline King Kennys Pumas

• Main Stander
« Reply #6587 on: October 6, 2020, 09:36:01 am »
He needs a rest. A diplomatic injury and withdrawal from internationals for 2 weeks would help him no end.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6588 on: October 6, 2020, 10:00:55 am »
I may be wrong but I don't think any of our midfield made a tackle. I may have blinked but Villa seemed to win the ball in midfield with ease.

Which is a huge issue, no defender in the world can look good in a game when that happens. Villa were getting through our midfield as if it wasn't there, all of a sudden you you have 1 or 2 strikers running off you and 3 or 4 running from the middle - good luck with that. Apart from that mad game against Spurs where he freaked the shit out of Sissoko, you have no chance.
Fair enough when you concede 7, the defense gets the stick but they weren't helped at all. Which will be put right.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #6589 on: October 6, 2020, 10:06:43 am »
Which is a huge issue, no defender in the world can look good in a game when that happens. Villa were getting through our midfield as if it wasn't there, all of a sudden you you have 1 or 2 strikers running off you and 3 or 4 running from the middle - good luck with that. Apart from that mad game against Spurs where he freaked the shit out of Sissoko, you have no chance.
Fair enough when you concede 7, the defense gets the stick but they weren't helped at all. Which will be put right.

Yes. Complete systemic failure with midfield on Sunday. Compounded by poor decisions at the back.
Internet terrorist

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6590 on: October 6, 2020, 10:23:45 am »
He needs a rest. A diplomatic injury and withdrawal from internationals for 2 weeks would help him no end.

I sometimes think we just see negatives in international games and forget the human element. I certainly do. I mean, I hope he doesn't play all their games obviously, but any player will surely be happy going home, seeing family and friends. All clubs fans hate them, but the players must really welcome the internationals. Except some of them English lads who haven't a brain cell in their heads.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6591 on: October 6, 2020, 10:33:43 am »
Except some of them English lads who haven't a brain cell in their heads.
How dare you say that! Now, would you like to come to a surprise party with 20+ guests I'm having?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6592 on: October 6, 2020, 10:35:42 am »
How dare you say that! Now, would you like to come to a surprise party with 20+ guests I'm having?

;D by the looks of it our lads were all at a party on Saturday night.
But of course, Tammy Abraham accepts no blame, it was his surprise party, at his own house.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6593 on: October 6, 2020, 11:29:18 am »
;D by the looks of it our lads were all at a party on Saturday night.
But of course, Tammy Abraham accepts no blame, it was his surprise party, at his own house.
We may as well take the piss out of whoever we can, because like you say it's not like all of our players will be angels in this situation. I do think if there's another lockdown for whatever reason, we'll see far more high profile breaches across the Premier League. People are used to having most of their freedoms and whatever novelty factor the original situation held has long worn off.

Tammy Abraham needs to take a look at his security systems if all those people were able to take him completely unawares in his own home  ;D

The Netherlands have got a friendly v Mexico tomorrow, hopefully VVD plays only a part and as little as possible. Let them use Ake and De Vrij or give Veltman a run out.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6594 on: October 6, 2020, 03:27:48 pm »
I was surprised to see Watkins outmuscle him multiple times. Virgil early last year would have knocked him on his ass a couple of times and sent a message.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6595 on: October 6, 2020, 04:39:54 pm »
I think we should be looking at replacement for him soon. First the howler against Leeds and now this. He is clearly not good enough.

We should have got Craig Cathcart on the cheap to provide him some competition.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6596 on: October 6, 2020, 04:41:33 pm »
I think we should be looking at replacement for him soon. First the howler against Leeds and now this. He is clearly not good enough.

Ryan Shawcross was playing for Stoke U23 the other day so he's available as well.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6597 on: October 6, 2020, 04:44:33 pm »
Ryan Shawcross was playing for Stoke U23 the other day so he's available as well.

I think he would work well once Klopp transitions to a low-block style of defending after reading RAWK and listening to pundits.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6598 on: October 6, 2020, 04:46:12 pm »
I think he would work well once Klopp transitions to a low-block style of defending after reading RAWK and listening to pundits.

And if Adrian sits on his mighty shoulders we'd never concede from a corner.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6599 on: October 6, 2020, 04:49:33 pm »

Sol Bamba ? He is better after all according to Colin Wanker