Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 343969 times)

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #800 on: April 16, 2017, 06:45:09 pm »
We're in 3rd place. Why would we be competing with a team that's 6 points behind us for 4th?

Hopefully the Manchester derby can help us cement our place their mate.

When do Utd play City anyway? Is it next weekend?
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #801 on: April 16, 2017, 06:45:39 pm »
If we win every game and United win every game, don't we finish 3rd because city drop points?

If that happened it would go down to goal difference as we'd end up on the same points, with City 2 pts behind in at best 5th place.

But I mean people saying it's between us and United for 4th, for United to be in major contention then they have to pull City back as well.

The gap is only 4 pts, win their game in hand and then beat City and they'll go 2 pts above them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #802 on: April 16, 2017, 06:46:45 pm »
Beat Crystal Palace.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #803 on: April 16, 2017, 06:47:27 pm »
Some serious fucking bedwetting going on in here again.
Fourth? I'm aiming for third not fourth.
Fuck that, I've still got my eye on at least 2nd place.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #804 on: April 16, 2017, 06:48:07 pm »
Some serious fucking bedwetting going on in here again.Fuck that, I've still got my eye on at least 2nd place.

Well maybe even second yes. Just look up not down.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #805 on: April 16, 2017, 06:50:45 pm »

27th April....a Thursday night special
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: April 16, 2017, 06:55:22 pm »

Even if Utd did win that, it helps us in the pursuit for 3rd. I think people looking at Utds 2 games in hand forget who they are playing against. It's a no lose situation as long as we do our own job.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: April 16, 2017, 06:56:20 pm »
Southampton away and Everton away next up in the league for Chelsea. We're 8 pts behind them. Big ask for them and Spurs to both blow up, but you never know.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: April 16, 2017, 06:57:42 pm »
Even if Utd did win that, it helps us in the pursuit for 3rd. I think people looking at Utds 2 games in hand forget who they are playing against. It's a no lose situation as long as we do our own job.

A draw would be the best result for us as it guarantees 3rd if we win every game.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: April 16, 2017, 06:57:50 pm »
Southampton away and Everton away next up in the league for Chelsea. We're 8 pts behind them. Big ask for them and Spurs to both blow up, but you never know.

The good thing is the media will put the spotlight on the top two, we can just quietly work away in the background. Let the teams above us take all the pressure.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: April 16, 2017, 06:59:10 pm »
Even if Utd did win that, it helps us in the pursuit for 3rd.

Isn't that what I just basically said mate? The manchester derby could help us cement 3rd place.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: April 16, 2017, 07:05:02 pm »
Isn't that what I just basically said mate? The manchester derby could help us cement 3rd place.

Yeah. Just more of a comment to the one I initially quoted claiming they're a threat to us.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #812 on: April 16, 2017, 07:06:45 pm »
Statistically speaking there's a 0.3% chance of Liverpool winning the league this season, though that might go up ever so slightly after today's results.
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Liverpool.html

In other words, don't get your hopes up.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: April 16, 2017, 07:11:29 pm »
Some serious fucking bedwetting going on in here again.Fuck that, I've still got my eye on at least 2nd place.
except there's really not. Christ that word is overused.

Spurs would have to fuck up hard for us to finish 2nd anyway, finishing 3rd is definitely realistic.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: April 16, 2017, 07:16:59 pm »
As long as we are in control of our destiny Im happy. So far we are in that position, lets keep it that way by beating Crystal Palace. Winning that game is crucial.

Next games are Boro vs Arsenal and Burnley vs United. Burnley are almost safe but not quite safe so they will give 100%, Boro are almost fucked but not quite fucked so the same applies to them.  I will be happy if either drops points but hopefully it will be United that does.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: April 16, 2017, 07:17:30 pm »

Spurs would have to fuck up hard for us to finish 2nd anyway, finishing 3rd is definitely realistic.

Whose to say they won't though, pressure is different when its on you and those two will  have it all to deal with. We just continue to win our games and see what happens.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: April 16, 2017, 07:21:22 pm »
Statistically speaking there's a 0.3% chance of Liverpool winning the league this season, though that might go up ever so slightly after today's results.

Oh I'm not, but until the maths says we can't do it, then I'll always dream that a Roy of the Rovers situation will occur for us.  :D

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #817 on: April 16, 2017, 07:28:31 pm »

The relegation percentages are interesting - it's saying 35 points will likely be enough to stay up.  So even if Palace lose all their remaining games, there's only a 20% chance of relegation.  I hope someone thinks to tell them that before next week.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #818 on: April 16, 2017, 07:59:25 pm »
Based entirely on my own intuition, the chances of each top 7 team of finishing in each position ;

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #819 on: April 16, 2017, 08:31:42 pm »
Man Utd start playing every 3 or 4 days soon, all against good teams. That will fuck them up.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #820 on: April 16, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »
Pinched this of of Twitter..

I reckon there's only one year (96-97)where we've previously finished top four that we would we have failed to go on and get the points we needed to hit fourth this year

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:33:57 pm by itching like a tramp's hairy ballbag »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: April 16, 2017, 08:44:01 pm »
We probably won't need 5 wins, but I hope we I hope we go for wins in all 5.

If we are to challenge for the title, we need to know how to win against the teams we will be playing against, be it winning pretty or winning ugly

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: April 16, 2017, 08:48:22 pm »

If we are to challenge for the title, we need to know how to win against the teams we will be playing against, be it winning pretty or winning ugly

Totally agree. We dont want to be stuttering to the end of the season as that doesnt help us going into next season. We have to be looking to get 4 wins now, especially as we have 3 games still at home.

What we could do with is Lallana and Henderson coming back.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: April 16, 2017, 08:50:27 pm »

I reckon there's only one year (96-97)where we've previously finished top four that we would we have failed to go on and get the points we needed to hit fourth this year

We've had some really shite seasons in the last 25 years  :(

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #824 on: April 16, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »

I think one things shown us today is that whilst everyone is quite justified in thinking that 74 or 75 point is enough until the Mancs and Arsenal stop winning those games in hand we've got to maintain our 100% focus
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: April 16, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »

Spurs would have to fuck up hard for us to finish 2nd anyway
Not really, have you seen their fixtures? And you're forgetting that they are the ultimate bottle jobs. Fully expecting them to fuck up against United and Arsenal for a start.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #826 on: April 16, 2017, 09:09:59 pm »
I think 10-11 points from 15 would be more than enough for a top 4 finish

Man u would need 17-18 from 21 to get 4th
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #827 on: April 16, 2017, 09:50:13 pm »
I think 10-11 points from 15 would be more than enough for a top 4 finish

Man u would need 17-18 from 21 to get 4th
Seems logical.

I reckon we'd still be favourites for 4th with only 8 points from the last 5 games. With our better goal difference Man Utd would need 5/7 wins or 4 wins 3 draws to beat us. Arsenal would need 7/8 wins. I think there's less than 50% chance of either happening.

10 points really should seal it. Man Utd would need 6/7 wins or 5 wins 2 draws to beat us and Arsenal would need 8/8 wins. With their remaining fixtures I see this happening 0/10 times.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #828 on: April 16, 2017, 09:56:12 pm »

99/00 makes you weep. What a fuck up. Compare points then to 00/01 and yet that season we finished with more.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2017, 09:59:57 pm »
After this weekend the remaining fixtures for the top 6 are as follows:

Note that United vs Chelsea and Middlesrough vs Arsenal are yet to be played as well.

According to this site there's a 92.1% chance of getting 4th with 74 points. To put that in perspective:

- Liverpool are on 66pts needs 8 points from 5 to reach 74 points.

- United are on 57 with 24pts to play for. To reach 74 points they need to win 5, draw 2, and lose 1.

- Arsenal are on 54pts with 24pts to play for. To reach 74 points they need to win 6 and draw 2.

Even if Arsenal and United got 74 points though they'd still need us to finish on 73pts (7pts from 5) as our goal difference is effectively worth one point as well.

Looking at those fixtures above I'd say 4th place is virtually secured. Even if Liverpool only won 2 and lost 1 or 2 games, one of Arsenal or United would have to go on a massive run, which seems highly unlikely given their form and fixtures - especially when you factor in United's midweek EL games (and Arsenal's FA Cup fixtures)

Mathematically speaking there's even a 70% of 4th with just 72 points, so basically, winning 2 (or 1win 3draws) against Palace, Watford, Southampton, West Ham, and/or Middlesbrough means a 70% chance of getting 4th.

Pretty large margin for error there in other words.

Clearly, the focus should be on getting 3rd, for which there's roughly a 40-45% chance of getting.
if we only take 8 points from 5 games it's likely we have to lose one game so there wouldn't be much improvement to our goal difference. If Arsenal win 6 and draw 2, at worst they are gaining 6 goals on us, so just the wins could be enough in that situation.

It would mean us stumbling over the line too and Arsenal going on an incredible run and they don't look like being capable of sustaining one at present but you never know. Utd look more likely at the moment but despite today not sure if they will be able to go on the run they need but you never know.

If we win out and Utd win out we get 3rd
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2017, 10:43:58 pm »
It's not bedwetting to worry about United. They are six behind, two games more to play. More importantly, they're playing fairly well now. We're also playing ok, but hardly spectacular either. We could definitely slip.
Arsenal competing for fourth would be a minor miracle now though, so I see it as a five team mini league.
Looking up, Spurs are playing far too good for us to have a chance now. Expecting them to slip now seems a bit silly after last season.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: April 16, 2017, 10:51:14 pm »
It's not bedwetting to worry about United. They are six behind, two games more to play. More importantly, they're playing fairly well now. We're also playing ok, but hardly spectacular either. We could definitely slip.
Arsenal competing for fourth would be a minor miracle now though, so I see it as a five team mini league.
Looking up, Spurs are playing far too good for us to have a chance now. Expecting them to slip now seems a bit silly after last season.

The two above us will have pressure to contend with and that can affect you. As for United playing well, this is just one game. They are entering a period where they will have to play every three days almost. There is no way they will not drop points, especially with some of the games they've got coming up. We are playing pretty well at the moment, and hopefully Lallana will be back shortly. I can see us only getting better especially as we only have to play a game a week from now on.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: April 16, 2017, 11:27:42 pm »
:wave

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: April 16, 2017, 11:38:22 pm »

What is your basis for saying Utd are playing 'fairly well' now? We have the same amount of points in the last 10 games as them so their form is at most level as ours. In those 10 games we have played Arsenal, City, Everton and Spurs whilst the only top 6 teams Utd have faced is Everton and Chelsea.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:43:25 pm by killer_heels »

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: April 16, 2017, 11:43:05 pm »
What is your basis for saying Utd are playing 'fairly well' now? We have the same amount of points in the last 10 games as them so their form is at most level as ours. In those 10 games we have played Arsenal, City, Everton and Spurs whilst the only top 6 teams Utd have faced is Everton and City.

I think you mean chelsea, not city.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: April 16, 2017, 11:45:39 pm »

What games is it they played well in that make you worry? Beating a desperately poor Sunderland 3-0? Beating a desperately poor Middlesborough 3-1? A poor Watford? A Leicester side that had downed tools to get their manager sacked? Or is it the draws against the might of Everton, West Brom, and 10 man Bournemouth that make you quiver with fear?
They've 1 really good result recently, and that was today against a Chelsea side that played the worst I've seen them play all season. As for them playng 'fairly well now', they're still fucking shite mate. We'll finish 6 points clear of them at a minimum.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #836 on: April 16, 2017, 11:57:56 pm »
I think that the only threat to a top four finish now is Man Utd.

This is the business end of the season, and Mourinho knows how to handle that. In our favour is that the EL is the easier route to CL qualification for them now, combined with their heavier fixture list and tough aways at Man City and Spurs.

Our run in is as soft as it gets.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: April 16, 2017, 11:58:23 pm »

I think you're worrying about the Manchester United of 6 years ago or more, rather than the Manchester United that we've seen since Ferguson left. The old United sides may have chased a gap like that down (but then they wouldn't be in that situation in the first place)

There are good reasons why this United team have gone 20 odd games unbeaten yet still sit outside the top four, and those problems are unlikely to just right themselves in the upcoming period, which is their busiest of the season don't forget.

It's not impossible for them, but it's one hell of an effort just to go into the least couple of weeks with a shout.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: April 17, 2017, 12:02:09 am »
If United didn't have matches in Europe or the fixture pile up they have, yes I'd be more worried than I am. But they by their own admission will focus on Europe and they have Burnley,City,Arsenal and Spurs left to play. They are not going through all of those without dropping points.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #839 on: April 17, 2017, 12:04:42 am »
What games is it they played well in that make you worry? Beating a desperately poor Sunderland 3-0? Beating a desperately poor Middlesborough 3-1? A poor Watford? A Leicester side that had downed tools to get their manager sacked? Or is it the draws against the might of Everton, West Brom, and 10 man Bournemouth that make you quiver with fear?
They've 1 really good result recently, and that was today against a Chelsea side that played the worst I've seen them play all season. As for them playng 'fairly well now', they're still fucking shite mate. We'll finish 6 points clear of them at a minimum.

They've been playing well for 2 or 3 months - it's curlish to argue otherwise
They've been really solid and control games really well like they did today.
They don't play flamboyant football but they're crushing teams in shot totals, expg etc etc
You'd absolutely expect them too of course - the amount they've invested.
Luckily for us they got unlucky or played badly in enough of their easier games so it's now unlikely they can over take us; it'll be an achievement to finish above them and it's one we should complete from here