Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 344086 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #640 on: April 11, 2017, 12:50:58 pm »
The 5 places rule is a bonus position for teams winning the EL.

I don't think the rule has changed regarding CL winners. I've not seen anything to suggest that 4th wouldn't lose their place, as Spurs did to Chelsea.

Villarreal finished 4th in La Liga last season but still qualified for the CL (lost to Monaco in the play-off round) despite Sevilla winning the EL.

El Lobo is right, the only way 4th misses out now is if two teams from the same country also finishing outside the top four win both European competitions.

We should be focusing on finishing 3rd to make all of this and the play-off in August an irrelevance.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: April 11, 2017, 01:06:13 pm »
Villarreal finished 4th in La Liga last season but still qualified for the CL (lost to Monaco in the play-off round) despite Sevilla winning the EL.

El Lobo is right, the only way 4th misses out now is if two teams from the same country also finishing outside the top four win both European competitions.

We should be focusing on finishing 3rd to make all of this and the play-off in August an irrelevance.

All the more reason why Utd having a chance would play well for us. If they could get a draw or even a win at City then it would really help us out.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: April 11, 2017, 01:13:55 pm »
All the more reason why Utd having a chance would play well for us. If they could get a draw or even a win at City then it would really help us out.

I think draws among City, United and Arsenal serve us best.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #643 on: April 11, 2017, 01:23:48 pm »
;D

FWIW, I think that nothing has been decided as yet. It'll be good practice for us to learn to keep our focus right to the end of the season and try to get as close to a perfect record as we can from the remaining games. And if we do drop points unexpectedly we have to get right back on it with whatever players we're able to field at the time.

Agree with this. We are far from a consistent team, maximum of four wins on the bounce this season shows that. It's going to be tight and the team need to be prepared for it to go to the final game.

Online GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #644 on: April 11, 2017, 01:29:39 pm »
Classic case now of 6 finals coming up. Klopp will surely be telling his players the exact opposite nature of this thread; don't look at or worry about anyone else and what they do/don't do.

Every game coming is going to be the most important game of the season. Nerve jangling stuff, but this is why we're footy fans.
JFT97

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2017, 01:58:14 pm »
Agree with this. We are far from a consistent team, maximum of four wins on the bounce this season shows that. It's going to be tight and the team need to be prepared for it to go to the final game.

Equally we shouldn't panic when we (inevitably)  don't win a game. It's very easy for us all to react wildly with one result. After Everton I think most were confident,  after Bournemouth a lot seemed convinced we wouldn't make it, after last night it looks good again. As Neil said on TAW,  we and the teams around us all have our faults which is why were fighting for 3Rd/4th. If we draw at West Brom it's not the end of the world,  think everyone is going to keep dropping points.

Granted winning the next three and virtually putting it to bed early would be much more preferable!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2017, 02:14:20 pm »

I take it all back. ;D

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #647 on: April 11, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »
Equally we shouldn't panic when we (inevitably)  don't win a game. It's very easy for us all to react wildly with one result. After Everton I think most were confident,  after Bournemouth a lot seemed convinced we wouldn't make it, after last night it looks good again. As Neil said on TAW,  we and the teams around us all have our faults which is why were fighting for 3Rd/4th. If we draw at West Brom it's not the end of the world,  think everyone is going to keep dropping points.

Granted winning the next three and virtually putting it to bed early would be much more preferable!

Probably take a point there then hopefully have Lallana and Hendo back for the next one.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #648 on: April 11, 2017, 02:32:42 pm »
I know West Brom play Pulis football and they tend to do well against the better teams, but their record in the last 6 games is not great. They scored 3 goals (all against Arsenal, but who is not doing that these days) and have lost four without scoring (along with a 0-0 against Man Utd).

This is obvious, but first goal is key here. If we score early, then we will win. But if they score...

We have most points this season in the premier league from losing positions apparently. If we go 1-0 down all is not lost ;)

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: April 11, 2017, 02:34:39 pm »
We got this..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #650 on: April 11, 2017, 02:39:48 pm »
A win on Sunday would put pressure on United against Chelsea and the fans would know it, could create a nice tense atmosphere

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #651 on: April 11, 2017, 03:26:40 pm »

Ha, we so much as draw at the weekend and there will be mass panic on here. Luckily Klopp and the players can keep clearer heads.

Hopefully Chelsea thump Untied this weekend.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: April 11, 2017, 03:28:30 pm »

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2444525.html

Again, I'm almost certain it'd be 4th missing out only if both clubs win their competitions.
You are right.

Wow. It's nice to see that you two can agree on something. Quite surprised  :D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: April 11, 2017, 03:30:34 pm »
Ha, we so much as draw at the weekend and there will be mass panic on here. Luckily Klopp and the players can keep clearer heads.

Hopefully Chelsea thump Untied this weekend.

If we beat West Brom then id probably want Utd to beat Chelsea. They will still want to put strong teams out against City.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #654 on: April 11, 2017, 03:33:12 pm »
If we beat West Brom then id probably want Utd to beat Chelsea. They will still want to put strong teams out against City.
I want daylight before I can want an Untied win, although, tbf our GD is as good as a point.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #655 on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:01 pm »
I'd be amazed if Chelsea & City don't see off Utd they way all those sides are playing right now. In any case we just need, and I'm sure will, focus on what we need to do. Taking it one game at a time and making them cup finals. The away support was fantastic, as always at Stoke. Everyone do their bit and we'll get there one step at a time.  :scarf

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #656 on: April 11, 2017, 04:22:17 pm »
True but but there's been a few teams there, squeaking 2nd is well in the top 4. Their aspirations may have changed over the years from trophies to top 4 but they have always met them. This year is the exception so it's understandable that people would of backed them to do the usual.

There was a club that played in Europe every season for twenty years from the mid sixties, winning 4 European Cups and 2 UEFA Cups. They went on another run once they got back into Europe, winning another European Cup and another UEFA Cup, topping the rankings as the best team in England...

And then they weren't the highest ranked team in England and they didn't qualify for the knock out phases and then they missed out on Europe completely.

People go on about Arsenal but until last year Chelsea had been in the Champions League for 13 straight seasons. The difference being that they've actually won it in that time as well as picking up a UEFA Cup under Rafa when they dropped out after the group stages. United have missed out on the CL a couple of times but again, they've actually won the thing.

A few year's back you;d have backed Liverpool, Chelsea and United to be in the Champions League every season. Arsenal getting top four has become a 'thing' because it's the only thing they do - it's their biggest trophy (along with the St Totteringham's Day Trophy and the Emirates Cup).
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: April 11, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »

Yeah, but the difference was that Valencia didn't win the CL.

Had Valencia won the CL, Villareal would have played in the EL group stages this season regardless of whatever Sevilla did in the EL.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #658 on: April 11, 2017, 04:25:00 pm »
We have most points this season in the premier league from losing positions apparently. If we go 1-0 down all is not lost ;)
Tbf, that's probably because we've conceded so many early goals.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #659 on: April 11, 2017, 04:26:52 pm »

No thanks

Utd loss

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #660 on: April 11, 2017, 04:52:24 pm »
Yeah, but the difference was that Valencia didn't win the CL.

Had Valencia won the CL, Villareal would have played in the EL group stages this season regardless of whatever Sevilla did in the EL.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the rules have changed. They'd have still been in the CL had Valencia won the CL and Sevilla not won the EL.

Every nation is now allowed up to five CL spots in the event of a side finishing outside the CL places but winning the CL or EL.

The only way you will miss out on Champions League football through finishing in the last CL spot now is if two teams in your nation win both European competitions and both finish outside the top four.

And that might even only be in Spain, Germany and England. If it was France, for example, and Lyon and Monaco won the EL and CL (imagine Monaco were 5th rather than 1st), the top three (standard CL spots) plus Lyon and Monaco would probably all qualify for the following season's CL.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: April 11, 2017, 04:56:42 pm »
Nah, I'm pretty sure the rules have changed. They'd have still been in the CL had Valencia won the CL and Sevilla not won the EL.

Every nation is now allowed up to five CL spots in the event of a side finishing outside the CL places but winning the CL or EL.

The only way you will miss out on Champions League football through finishing in the last CL spot now is if two teams in your nation win both European competitions and both finish outside the top four.

And that might even only be in Spain, Germany and England. If it was France, for example, and Lyon and Monaco won the EL and CL (imagine Monaco were 5th rather than 1st), the top three (standard CL spots) plus Lyon and Monaco would probably all qualify for the following season's CL.
Where did you get this info?

Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: April 11, 2017, 05:02:31 pm »
It was always silly bedwetting talk this.

Thanks for including me mate  ;D I wasn't bedwetting though, merely saying if anyone is going to give us trouble then Arsenal would be more likely. It's not over yet anyway, but it's looking increasingly likely we'll get top 4 and I'm pretty confident.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #663 on: April 11, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »
Thanks for including me mate  ;D I wasn't bedwetting though, merely saying if anyone is going to give us trouble then Arsenal would be more likely. It's not over yet anyway, but it's looking increasingly likely we'll get top 4 and I'm pretty confident.
Funny thing about Arsenal is they were top of the league in December. When we are 6-7th in the league we're usually there for the entirety of the campaign. Really hope this means players truly downed their tools on Wenger and that it won't change till the end of the season.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #664 on: April 11, 2017, 05:22:03 pm »
damn! i thought the automatic qualification for 4th placed team kicks in the upcoming UCL season. Just realized it kicks in 18/19 UCL season.  :butt

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #666 on: April 11, 2017, 05:38:18 pm »
The atmosphere surrounding Arsenal is really toxic right now. Fans turned on their players last night and they've been turning on Wenger for quite a while. It becomes incredibly difficult to elevate the spirits in such an environment. I have quite a few close friends who are huge Arsenal fans and they've pretty much given up on the season and couldn't even care less about the FA Cup because they just want change in the direction of the club now. After last night I'd honestly be surprised if they finished in the top 4 now. Especially since they still have to play Spurs and United. Finishing outside the top 4 might set them back quite a few years as I don't think they'll be able to hold on to Sanchez without CL football. Also, for this summer's transfer window they won't be able to attract the top players especially with so much uncertainty surrounding Wenger, Sanchez, Ozil and a few other players.

For us, the task is still is not straight forward by any means because of one reason. We're our own worst enemy. The only team we need to worry about is ourselves and the biggest challenge to our chances is the team itself, and attempting to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot again.
YWNA

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #667 on: April 11, 2017, 05:54:18 pm »
Looking at teams that might get into the CL qualifiers from across the leagues and you''ll see teams like Dortmund, Napoli, Sevilla, and Lyon. Dortmund will probably end up qualifying automatically but we really should be aiming for higher than 4th as that qualifying round will be difficult.

Offline MTred406

• Anny Roader
« Reply #668 on: April 11, 2017, 05:58:20 pm »
The way I see it if we can get to 75pts it would be very difficult for us to miss out.  So 12pts from 6 matches,all against the mid to bottom half of the table.  If we can't do that then we don't deserve a champions league spot.  Next two matches will be tough for us, away vs West Brom and Home vs Palace 4 points from those and I would feel really good about our chances, 3pts is about where we are now, and 2pts or less is a disaster and really puts the pressure on.

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: April 11, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »

If I am not wrong a country cannot have more than 5 clubs representing in CL. We would lose 4th only if both Leicester & Man Utd win the CL & EL and finish out of top 4. If only one of them wins, we would make it as 5th team (if we finish 4th).

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: April 11, 2017, 06:40:46 pm »
If I am not wrong a country cannot have more than 5 clubs representing in CL. We would lose 4th only if both Leicester & Man Utd win the CL & EL and finish out of top 4. If only one of them wins, we would make it as 5th team (if we finish 4th).

Well strictly speaking- they would make it as a 5th team surely?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #671 on: April 11, 2017, 06:41:11 pm »

Seems pretty obvious doesn't it :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: April 11, 2017, 06:53:04 pm »
If Liverpool fail to qualify it means we have monumentally fecked up.
We have the points on the board, a reasonable run in compared to the others so for me we should be targeting coming 3rd not worried about simply qualifying.
We are Liverpool,
Why are Man City expected to come 3rd and we are panicking about qualifying.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: April 11, 2017, 07:00:06 pm »

Sorry Killer don't get this thinking at all!

Offline Bendomac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: April 12, 2017, 01:18:48 am »
Totally didnt know about that team 5 limit. Greizmann will see to this eventuality tonight.
Down with Leicester.

I disagree with hoping Man Utd pick up points vs rivals, they are the only threat I feel now after the Palace result for Arsenal.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: April 12, 2017, 01:21:59 am »
Sorry Killer don't get this thinking at all!

Me neither. I fail to see how United winning any game is good for us.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: April 12, 2017, 02:32:34 am »
;D Yeh finishing above Arsenal being a miracle was just a bit wet.
Wait wait wait...

Did someone actually say finishing above arsenal this season would be a MIRACLE?

Jesus wept.

I'll take my bedwetting with a side of hysterical hyperbole please.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:58:49 am by Frizzo »

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #677 on: April 12, 2017, 03:49:10 am »
There is always an outside chance that Leicester win the CL, Red Mancs win the EL, and we finish 4th and don't qualify for CL
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:52:26 am by KopThat »

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: April 12, 2017, 04:59:20 am »
There is always an outside chance that Leicester win the CL, Red Mancs win the EL, and we finish 4th and don't qualify for CL
Now THAT would be a miracle.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: April 12, 2017, 05:52:39 am »
If Liverpool fail to qualify it means we have monumentally fecked up.
We have tnts on the board, a reasonable run in compared to the others so for me we should be targeting coming 3rd not worried about simply qualifying.
We are Liverpool,he poi
Why are Man City expected to come 3rd and we are panicking about qualifying.

Firstly, if City win all their games, they'll finish 3rd no matter what we do. On paper the only tricky game they have left is the Manchester derby. Beat them and the rest looks pretty easy for a squad with that talent.

Secondly, It's not panicking. It's just people realising that finishing 3rd isn't quite in our hands yet.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”