Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4155722 times)

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #23040 on: July 16, 2012, 12:25:12 pm »
are there any examples of boxers who have done this? (unable to take a shot so adapted to not having to)

Wladimir Klitschho said "I might have a Glass Jaw, but I will knock you out before you even touch it." see his fight with Corey Sanders. He adapted later after a couple of KO losses and learned to stay on the outside and use his size and reach advantage.

I dont think it's over for Khan yet, but how he reacted after the first knockdown was fucking amatuer as they get. His speed is absolutely frightening though, he just needs to pick his fights more carefully.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #23041 on: July 16, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »
Delighted khan lost, have never hidden the fact I can't stand him!
Went to his first pro fight when he was a fairly nice kid and kept himself to himself, but gone downhill since.
Calling out mayweather is embarrassing, seems even more so now after Saturdays showing!
Think he started brilliantly saturday, didn't sit back after hitting his jab and looked very quick going forward but the glass chin strikes again.
 Next up has got to be brook, which I can see being a good tear up, unless hatton would be tempted by one lat pay day, would certainly sell out a big big stadium.

Glad the whole haye chisora embarrassment is over, good luck to chisora though for donating 20k to Hayes chosen charity.
Vitali next up???

Anyway hope your well lads, and Mirra hope your suffering from some painful anal injury

:wave

The Cock-roach is back. Fucks sake I thought we'd seen you off!  :wanker Lock the thread now!

Think the animosity beetween Froch and Khan comes from something on twitter, remember Khan laughing at Carl getting "his Ass whooped" by one of the best fighters in the world. To be honest, Froch can say what he wants about Khan, hes got the right with what hes achieved and what hes done in the sport. Got a lot of time for Froch, a real fighters fighter.

Cracking post from Bobby D on Khan as well!
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #23042 on: July 16, 2012, 12:30:50 pm »
are there any examples of boxers who have done this? (unable to take a shot so adapted to not having to)

Good question.

W. Klitschko, Adamek and maybe Camacho are one's you could argue did change to a more defensive style. As a consequence they all became less entertaining fighters. Adamek changed due to moving up more than taking punishment in previous fights though.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23043 on: July 16, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »
I grew up during the great heavyweight era, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton. I was a teenager when John Conteh won his gold medal at the Commonwealth games. I boxed in Kirkby. Tucker Edrington ran it back then. I thought I had something until a few hidings put me straight on that. I've loved boxing all me life. So, I can't be arsed with the charade that the heavy weight divisions became. But I think you're right on the Klitchkos. The game would have been a complete farce without them over the last few years.
Anyway, that's my two cents. And in my opinion, Khan isn't shite. He's not that far off being top notch. I don't know if he can make the big step up though. But if he's going to, he's got to stop getting tagged like that. Can he? We'll see, I suppose.

Im jealous mate, there will never be a heavyweight era like that one again I dont think. I get jealous when I hear people talking about that time because I hadnt been born yet! Wish I was around for those huge fights more than anything. Mike Tyson was the man when I was a kid though and for a couple of years at least he seemed invincible, it was enough to convince me to start fighting! Agree with Bobby & 7s mate, you should stick around, hurl abuse at Cleary when he turns up as well  ;D

Offline TeamSpirit™

• Main Stander
  • Cockerel that likes to hang around Liverbirds
« Reply #23044 on: July 16, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »
Good question.

W. Klitschko, Adamek and maybe Camacho are one's you could argue did change to a more defensive style. As a consequence they all became less entertaining fighters. Adamek changed due to moving up more than taking punishment in previous fights though.

co-signed.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23045 on: July 16, 2012, 12:59:11 pm »
Good question.

would he lose what he is naturally good at if he adapted his style? would it be difficult for him (or anyone) to change at 25 into a fighter that has to protect his jaw? Seems a difficult one as what he needs most fighters that have it 'just have it' is that fair to say?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #23046 on: July 16, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
Agree with Bobby & 7s mate, you should stick around, hurl abuse at Cleary when he turns up as well  ;D

::)

Run out of dot to dot books have we mirra?
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23047 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:16 pm »
Yes, your Ma is bringing me some round later on though ;)

Offline TeamSpirit™

• Main Stander
  • Cockerel that likes to hang around Liverbirds
« Reply #23048 on: July 16, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »
would he lose what he is naturally good at if he adapted his style? would it be difficult for him (or anyone) to change at 25 into a fighter that has to protect his jaw? Seems a difficult one as what he needs most fighters that have it 'just have it' is that fair to say?

With his skill set he should be a classic "stick & move" fighter. A runner if you will. He should always box at range and use his speed. It's been proven on sooooooo many occasions that when he starts getting into a slugfest and wants to stand and trade, he cannot withstand the bombs of the opponent...

Right now he's Pernell Whittaker  with a terrible defence, and that's always likely to spell disaster.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23049 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:18 pm »

He would still maintian his speed obviously. Mayweather has lived off great defense and speed, amongst other skills (obviously a much superior operator than Khan) his whole career. It's almost impossible he could reach that level of defensive work, plus, Mayweather can take a solid shot without going all to shite.

Wladimir Klitschko openly admits to having a 'glass jaw' and he succesfully changed his style but then he's a very intelligent bloke and he did change his trainer. It can be done but can Khan do it...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:18:23 pm by NOTBORNIN1982 »
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #23050 on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:48 pm »
Yes, your Ma is bringing me some round later on though ;)

Oh yeah, she mentioned she had got a new job, care in the community
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23051 on: July 16, 2012, 01:45:43 pm »
Oh yeah, she mentioned she had got a new job, care in the community

She works hard for her money like.

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #23052 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/knockout-scousers

Programme on Channel 4 tonight at 23:05. A team has been following Tom Stalker, Natasha Jones and Jazza Dickens around for the past 2 years in the build up to the Olympics.
“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23053 on: July 18, 2012, 03:42:08 pm »
Enzo has got a 6 month ban for his drug test failure. What a twat.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23054 on: July 18, 2012, 06:15:49 pm »
Enzo has got a 6 month ban for his drug test failure. What a twat.

Just found this article from Steve Bunce, in the Independant. Interesting read;

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/steve-bunce-on-boxing-drug-cheats-have-to-face-the-music-at-last-7906796.html

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23055 on: July 19, 2012, 07:32:57 am »
Sorry, but 6 months? Shite that. A load of boxers have near enough that much time off inbetween fights anyway, what they've given him is a slightly extended break inbetween fights.

That seems far too light, these dickheads could seriously hurt someone taking that shite, potentially ruining someones career or worse and he gets a 6 month ban?

Honestly these dopes deserve lifetime bans, would be a better deterrent to others rather than a few months break if they happen to get caught.

Not sending the right message for me, these dangerous idiots need to be made an example of.

Shame as i quite liked Enzo. Bellend.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #23056 on: July 19, 2012, 08:59:06 am »
god finally watched the khan fight, how did he fuck it up, ineptitude. he had already cut Garcia and he tries to bang with him, such a fucking fool. He could have just danced around him and finished off the fight from there, no intelligence, the kid is just stupid
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #23057 on: July 19, 2012, 04:20:40 pm »
I grew up during the great heavyweight era, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton. I was a teenager when John Conteh won his gold medal at the Commonwealth games. I boxed in Kirkby. Tucker Edrington ran it back then. I thought I had something until a few hidings put me straight on that. I've loved boxing all me life. So, I can't be arsed with the charade that the heavy weight divisions became. But I think you're right on the Klitchkos. The game would have been a complete farce without them over the last few years.
Anyway, that's my two cents. And in my opinion, Khan isn't shite. He's not that far off being top notch. I don't know if he can make the big step up though. But if he's going to, he's got to stop getting tagged like that. Can he? We'll see, I suppose.

Fats you're making me feel old now: Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton. and gorgeous John Conteh oh what a petal he was when a young gun. So loved them 70s fights. especially  Bugner giving it billy big mouth and spittin his dum!
no coward soul is mine

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23058 on: July 19, 2012, 05:44:22 pm »
Fats you're making me feel old now: Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton. and gorgeous John Conteh oh what a petal he was when a young gun. So loved them 70s fights. especially  Bugner giving it billy big mouth and spittin his dum!

Bugner! Me Granda always hated this Bugner fella, Brian London as well, always went on about them so naturally, I grew up disliking them both  ;D

Just read a bit about Enzo, seems it was more a mistake than him being on the gear properly. He bought a fat burning product that contained methylhexaneamine which he ordered from a combat magazine he says. Take back what I said about him but I do believe fighters need to be more careful when buying these supplements or this can happen. Think being a bit naive is more appropriate than branding him a drugs cheat though. Hopefully the 6month ban will force him into retirement as well!

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23059 on: July 19, 2012, 06:16:32 pm »
Just read a bit about Enzo, seems it was more a mistake than him being on the gear properly. He bought a fat burning product that contained methylhexaneamine which he ordered from a combat magazine he says. Take back what I said about him but I do believe fighters need to be more careful when buying these supplements or this can happen. Think being a bit naive is more appropriate than branding him a drugs cheat though. Hopefully the 6month ban will force him into retirement as well!

Ahh fair play, i think i got drawn in by some of the tabloid articles that have been doing the rounds. Easy enough mistake like everyones on pre work outs and fat burners these days and they contain a shit load of mad chemicals. I take that Jack3d myself, bet thats got some shite that would fail a sports drug test and know a few lads on those T5 fat burners.

Guessing Enzo must have been having difficulties making the weight at light heavy if he was on fat burners. I remember a few months back when he was commentating on Boxnation talking about how easy it was making the weight at Cruiser and that sometimes he even got on the scales with his car keys and loose change in his pockets.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:18:14 pm by Lee-87 »

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #23060 on: July 19, 2012, 07:28:17 pm »
Bugner! Me Granda always hated this Bugner fella, Brian London as well, always went on about them so naturally, I grew up disliking them both  ;D

yer Granda gave you a sound education Mirra, bugner was a whingin' pussy.
no coward soul is mine

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23061 on: July 20, 2012, 02:17:58 pm »
yer Granda gave you a sound education Mirra, bugner was a whingin' pussy.

Remember him coming back to fight Bruno, the big tit! I dont like Bugner, from what I seen of him I didnt think he was much of a fighter either. I could watch more of his fights to try and change that opinion, but what I have seen hes a big pudding and I dont think they will be much better!

Ahh fair play, i think i got drawn in by some of the tabloid articles that have been doing the rounds. Easy enough mistake like everyones on pre work outs and fat burners these days and they contain a shit load of mad chemicals. I take that Jack3d myself, bet thats got some shite that would fail a sports drug test and know a few lads on those T5 fat burners.

Guessing Enzo must have been having difficulties making the weight at light heavy if he was on fat burners. I remember a few months back when he was commentating on Boxnation talking about how easy it was making the weight at Cruiser and that sometimes he even got on the scales with his car keys and loose change in his pockets.

Yeah mate a lot of the supplements you can buy from the shops or magazines these days will have banned substances in, but when people hear that they automatically think Steroids etc. There was a big carry on not too long ago with someone using nasal spray that had banned substances in it wasnt there? Cant remember who or what sport he was from though. Enzo has been a bit silly with this one though, he should of looked at what was in it and double checked what he was taking was alright, I hear Enzo Calzaghe has been out bashing him calling him a disgrace and all that, saying hes made him look like shit etc, forgetting about your sons Coke problem before becoming all judgemental arent we Enzo? You little fucking rat, If I were the same age as Enzo id call him out, id love to fight that little twat. Cant stand the bloke and that pretty much sums him up as a man for me.

Offline El_Capitán

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23062 on: July 21, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »
50 Cent Now a Boxing Promoter, Expected to Sign Yuriorkis Gamboa and Andre Dirrell
In what I think is a genuinely interesting piece of news, rapper and actor Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson is now a licensed boxing promoter, and has founded TMT Promotions, which is already good to go in New York and is in the process of being licensed in Nevada, according to Chris Mannix.

What makes it really interesting is that 50 Cent is expected to sign two legitimate, notable, high-end fighters in Yuriorkis Gamboa and Andre Dirrell. Both fighters have had recent connections to the Mayweather camp, and have trained in Mayweather's Vegas gym.

Earlier this year, Gamboa, considered the world's top featherweight, bailed on a fight against Brandon Rios, which many sources said was due to influence from the Mayweather team, though this was never "confirmed," really. He was part of Floyd's entourage for the Miguel Cotto fight in May.

In late June, Top Rank and Gamboa came to an agreement, with Top Rank dropping their lawsuit against him and the two sides mutually parting ways.

Dirrell, a top super middleweight, dumped promoter Gary Shaw and Al Haymon earlier this year, and made claims that he was ready to go on his own. That has led to nothing, as I expected, because Dirrell isn't a draw or all that well-known a fighter, despite being highly skilled. He needs a promoter, and it looks like he's found one.

This could all fail gloriously, but they said that about Golden Boy Promotions, too. Whatever you might think of 50 Cent, the guy's made a lot of money, and he's also not just a Mayweather flunky -- he has reportedly been interested in doing this for some time, and is now making the leap. I say best of luck to him. I'm really interested in seeing where this goes. It's already more legit than Mayweather Promotions has ever been.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/7/20/3172928/50-cent-boxing-promoter-tmt-promotions-andre-dirrell-yuriorkis-gamboa-boxing-news

Not really sure what to make of this at the moment. I guess only time will tell if it ends up being good for the sport or not.

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23063 on: July 22, 2012, 10:51:09 am »
Its a fucking joke the position Escobedo has been put in the last few days, meanwhile the real prick in all this now will carry on as normal.

Offline Chuy

• Boys Pen
« Reply #23064 on: July 22, 2012, 04:07:41 pm »
Adrien Broner...very talented boxer but already firmly establishing himself as one of the biggest pricks in this, or any other sport.

Really hope Escobedo got a good payday for his troubles.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:14:32 pm by Chuy »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23065 on: July 23, 2012, 12:24:28 pm »
Watched welterweight Keith "One Time" Thurman last night on box nation, he looked impressive. Quick hands, good skills and good power, hes making a lot of noise about wanting Floyd (as you'd expect) or Paulie Malinaggi. He looked very good, he was backing up against the ropes the whole fight but was dominating it, letting his man come onto him and landing heavy shots everytime the fella missed him. I was impressed and am going to keep an eye on that lad. Fella he beat was Orlando Lora who had already lost to Paulie in a UD but Thurman managed to stop him in the 6th with a good left hook I think it was. Anyone else heard of him?

One thing that is concerning about him is his hands dont look very fast at all to me to bother somebody like Mayweather or Bradley, Malinaggi etc, he throws a lot of wild punches as well. He does hit hard though but time will tell if he really does have power or the guys he fought before stopping all but 1 of them in 18 fights made him look like a KO artist.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:28:51 pm by Mirra »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23066 on: July 23, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »
Adrien Broner...very talented boxer but already firmly establishing himself as one of the biggest pricks in this, or any other sport.

Really hope Escobedo got a good payday for his troubles.

Broner is a prick, a Floyd wannabe but im certain he isnt as talented as Floyd. Think its a bit of a disgrace coming in 5lbs over, not even bothering to try to make weight. But Floyd himself done it against JMM and just paid him some cash to make sure it went ahead. Money talks, good fighter but a fucking prick, hope he changes his attitude as he gets older because I really dont like him at the minute.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23067 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:33 pm »
Is Price going to fight Audley Harrison? Good God, why do people keep giving that prick a pay day. Though id piss myself if it backfired, very little chance of that though!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23068 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »
"Audley was an inspiration to me when I was younger, someone our amateur squad always looked up," said Price. "He called me before Beijing to offer advice, which I'm grateful for, but he's still getting flattened."

Made me smile. 13th October at the Echo Arena
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23069 on: July 23, 2012, 01:48:15 pm »
will everyone be on the price knockout for that fight?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23070 on: July 23, 2012, 01:57:04 pm »
will everyone be on the price knockout for that fight?

Assuming anyone bothers to watch it, I wont like. Harrisons a fucking bum

Offline JMM

• bantend
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23071 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:15 pm »
Is Price going to fight Audley Harrison? Good God, why do people keep giving that prick a pay day. Though id piss myself if it backfired, very little chance of that though!

Why?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #23072 on: July 23, 2012, 02:13:46 pm »

Price is 29, he really needs bigger fights than this or he'll be over the hill before he gets anywhere near a world title.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #23073 on: July 23, 2012, 02:46:10 pm »
Price needs to fight Fury, or to fight some of the continental heavyweights just under the Klits. Move up fast, now is the time.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23074 on: July 23, 2012, 02:49:39 pm »
Price needs to fight Fury, or to fight some of the continental heavyweights just under the Klits. Move up fast, now is the time.

I don't see Fury going for that, he seems to looking for bigger fights, and his profile is already slightly higher than Price.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline JMM

• bantend
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23075 on: July 23, 2012, 02:55:12 pm »
I don't see Fury going for that, he seems to looking for bigger fights, and his profile is already slightly higher than Price.

What? Fury ducked Price a few months ago you divvie.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23076 on: July 23, 2012, 02:56:55 pm »
What? Fury ducked Price a few months ago you divvie.

Exactly my point.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23077 on: July 23, 2012, 03:01:18 pm »
Exactly my point.

Do we not think Mick 'The Dick' Hennesey had something to do with that?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23078 on: July 23, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »
Do we not think Mick 'The Dick' Hennesey had something to do with that?

Personally, I have no idea, but I don't see Fury getting in the ring with Price any time soon unless Price beats someone better than Harrison. What's in it for him?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23079 on: July 23, 2012, 03:17:01 pm »
Trouble is, every heavyweight who's half decent is waiting for the Klitschko's to fuck off, nobody's going to stall their progress by getting beaten by another contender.  Vitali's going to be retired in a few months, so people have got their eye on that vacant belt.