Author Topic: Reds in Reserve Liverpool 1 - 1 Villa  (Read 5628 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds in Reserve Liverpool 1 - 1 Villa
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:48:26 pm »
In a game that finished with a spectacular 21 man brawl Liverpool will be disappointed to come away with only a point. Villa were the visitors to The Racecourse for the second game this week and physical is a word you could use to describe their approach. Dirty is another.

Liverpool fielded a very young side but still had the better chances in the game. They lined up with a 5-2-1-2 formation. Danny Guthrie playing in the hole behind Foy and Calliste. The goal scorer on the night was again Robbie Foy, who has been much improved since his spell out on loan.

There was a lively start to the game that promised much. Both teams were looking to have a go and get at each other. The first chance of the game came from a mistake by Roque. He couldn't find a red shirt and gave away possession. The highly rated Isaiah Osbourne found himself in possession twenty yards out but his effort wasn't good enough and Martin saved with ease.

In the third minute the agenda for the game was set. Lowry hit Peltier with a terrible late challenge and whilst we were expecting red all he got was a talking to. Peltier was down for a couple of minutes but was able to resume. He'd only been back on the pitch two minutes and was still limping when he made a great tackle and purposefully directed the ball to Calliste, he moved it on to Guthrie on the left wing and his wicked cross was volleyed over by Foy.

Guthrie was linking up with Barragan on the right wing two minutes later but this time nobody was able to get on the end of Antonio's cross. After a shaky start Liverpool were starting to look good. Just after the quarter of an hour mark awarded a free kick twenty yards out. Guthrie took it and went for a subtle curler. It was brilliantly executed but the ball didn't do quite enough to come back in and hit the post.

Villa were still fighting (not literally yet) though and could have took the lead when Mikaelssón headed wide. As the half drew to a close they nearly scored when Whittingham hit a great effort from twenty five yards. Martin looked beaten but similarly to Guthrie's effort the ball hit the upright.

There was a subdued start to the second half which in hindsight was the calm before the royal rumble. We spent the time perusing www.stuffonmycat.com on my mates lap top (there's a cracker on page 2). The game sprung back to life with half an hour to go. Bridges the Villa number 10 left his foot in on Antwi. It wasn't the first time he'd had a niggle tonight but this time he ended up worse off. As Antwi feel his flayling arm hit Bridges in the mouth. As if Godwin had done it on purpose the short Villa striker kicked him as he lay on the ground. Again expecting a straight red only a yellow was produced by referee Harwood.

Liverpool were still edging possession and chances, Guthrie saw a well hit volley go over and Foy was making a nuisance of himself. With fifteen minutes to go it was these two players that saw Liverpool take the lead. Barragan read a pass and intercepted it. He fed Guthrie who turned and picked out a great run from Foy with the most exquisite of passes. Foy made no mistake in beating the keeper.

Unfortunately the lead wasn't kept for long. Kabeya beat Godwin coming in from the right. He then fed Bridges who's charged down shot fell to Lund who couldn't really miss. Villa were back on level terms.

It was around now that the game started to get nasty. Osbourne who didn't live up to the player he is on Football Manager was making it his business to get in everyone's face, especially Peltiers and it was bubbling under all around.

As Liverpool broke from a corner Guthrie beat his man but was hacked down from behind by effeminate substitute Herd. He could easily have gone but again escaped with a yellow.

In the last of the three minutes of injury time things got very interesting. Osbourne saw the chance to have a go at Pelts. He came in with a very late tackle. Peltier had seen it coming but couldn't get out of the way. He reacted by getting up and squaring up to the tall midfielder. Before you knew it every player on the pitch with the exception of the goalkeepers were involved in a WWE style brawl. Calliste obviously saw the opportunity to outnumber the opposition and so ran off the bench and got involved too. It was ace!

The referee kept blowing his whistle and the lads kept on scrapping. I know this sort of thing is not to be encouraged and it's a bit cliche to talk about the team spirit etc, but these Liverpool lads were really there for each other.

In the aftermath there were three sendings off. Peltier had to go. I don't blame him for reacting though.     There were also two Villa players that saw red. Bridges finally got his marching orders and took an age to leave the pitch. Osbourne was also sent off. He left the field with some kind words from Robbie Foy, all I caught was "Y'are! Yer crying lad!". I had to laugh.

This was a great test of the mettle of these youngsters and a great learning curve. I think they did very well. They weren't intimidated or put on the back foot, even the smaller lads like Guthrie were showing for every ball and standing their ground.

MOM. I'll go for Foy. He worked his socks off and took his goal very well. Nobody had a bad game and I thought Guthrie, Roque and O'Donnell played very well again.

Team: Martin, Barragan, Smith, Antwi, O'Donnell, Roque, Peltier, Hobbs (c), Calliste (79 Lindfield), Guthrie, Foy.

Unused subs: Woods, Lancaster, Flynn, Barnett.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Reds in Reserve Liverpool 1 - 1 Villa
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:07:33 pm »
Nice one mate. Great Report as always.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:37:49 pm »
looks like Foy is playing well at the mo, it bodes well for next year although its unlikely he'll get close to a first team spot
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline PhilB

• or not PhilB? That is the question...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:42:57 pm »
Is Anderson injured at the moment?

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:45:19 pm »
Sounds like it was a very entertaining scrap game.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 11:59:27 pm »
Reserves in Argy Bargy Incited by RAWK Match Reporter... :P  :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 12:01:52 am »
Is Anderson injured at the moment?

I think he played
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Rushback

• star wars obsessive
  • Legacy Fan
  • One of the Fleetwoods
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 12:02:11 am »
effeminate substitute Herd

made me laff
"football is dead"   Redissue 25 May 2005

http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 12:30:39 am »
Keep up the reporting..enjoy reading them.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 01:18:32 am »
nice report!  despite the brawl at the end, like the way the lads reacted and it will stand them in good stead.  sounds like the ref having a stinker though.

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 02:18:59 am »
I'm amazed to hear that the ref didn't stamp his authority on how the game ought to be played out at all. Considering the young players on the pitch, it is his duty to protect the players by punishing dangerous tackles and antagonistic behaviour.

But if the ref was weak, strong and united in the force our younglings are. A pity Peltier will miss the next match though as this could have been his chance to show his ability. I've only ever been hearing about Anderson, and Peltier's red card (and the brawl) could have been avoided if the ref had regulated Villa's physical approach from the start.
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline MotownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 03:07:54 am »

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 03:38:08 am »
Thank you for the great match reports.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline GavRef

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 09:22:59 am »
Super report, throughly enjoyable game too!

I was at the game last night, will comment more about it when I get a bit of time later on :)

Offline Luis Garcia scores again

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 09:40:33 am »
Who threw the best punch?

Offline PhilB

• or not PhilB? That is the question...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 10:43:08 am »
]
I think he played

Team: Martin, Barragan, Smith, Antwi, O'Donnell, Roque, Peltier, Hobbs (c), Calliste (79 Lindfield), Guthrie, Foy.

Unused subs: Woods, Lancaster, Flynn, Barnett.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 11:13:13 am »
Thanks for the report AdamS.

Can't wait for the highlights on the official site  :o
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 11:39:28 am »
Highlights now on eseason on .tv. The tackle on Peltier early on was terrible.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline GavRef

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 02:57:55 pm »
Super report, throughly enjoyable game too!

I was at the game last night, will comment more about it when I get a bit of time later on :)

Days later, I get the chance to comment!!

Full blooded encounter doesn't begin to describe it! There were quite a few nasty challenges about from the word go. The ref was quite prepared to let it flow as much as he possibly could.

The MoM for me was Whittingham from Aston Villa (wearing 6)- to me he stood out a country mile and you could tell he'd played at a decent standard, but I agree with Adam's comments on the fact that no Liverpool player had a bad game.

As I dont have an e-season ticket, any chance someone could send me highlights please? Would be interested to see how some of these tackles looked...