Author Topic: Urgent Info for Reds travelling to Istanbul with Onur Air  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Urgent Info for Reds travelling to Istanbul with Onur Air
« on: May 13, 2005, 12:59:43 pm »
We know many Reds are taking connecting flights to Istanbul via Europe, and many are using Onur Air. We have received this information which could be bad news for those travelling:

Yesterday: the Dutch authorithies announced that they had removed Onur Air's rights to land on Dutch territory for one month. Several problems in the past with their airplanes lead to this decision. A few days ago an airplane had problems with their tyres when they landed at Atlanya in Turkey. They have been warned before and have now received a sanction.

Click here for Dutch news story

Onur Air flies from Amsterdam and Eindhoven. We urge all Reds to check if you arranged your flight with them or not.

This ban does not apply to Corendon or Flyair who also budget carriers and fly from the Netherlands.

Today: The German Federal Office of Aviation followed the Dutch and have banned Onur Air arriving at German airports.

Source (in German):

Onur-Flugverbot: Reiseveranstalter stellen Ersatzflüge bereit (11:51)

Das Landeverbot für die türkische Charterfluggesellschaft Onur-Air hat auch für deutsche Urlauber Konsequenzen.

Reiseveranstalter, die für ihre Kunden Plätze in Onur-Air-Maschinen gebucht hatten, suchen nun nach Ersatzflügen. Allein am Pfingstwochenende sind mehr als 1500 Passagiere betroffen. Die Unternehmen wiesen darauf hin, dass es durch die Umbuchungen zu geänderten Flugzeiten kommen kann.

Gestern hatte das Luftfahrtbundesamt der Onur-Air verboten, deutsche Flughäfen anzusteuern. Grund seien Sicherheitsbedenken.

Click here for German news story

Rest of Europe: as far as we are aware this does not apply to any other countries yet. One of the Lonsdale packages (package A) is flying with Onur Air. Contact Lonsdale on 0870 1281133 if you have any concerns. Airtrack are also using Onur Air for one of their packages - contact them on 01895 810 810. We are unaware at this stage if Barnes are using Onur Air as a carrier. Flight Options have contacted us and they have confirmed they are NOT using Onur Air for any of their flights.

We recommend that anyone travelling independently and flying with Onur Air  contact the airline as soon as possible to clarify the situation, or if booked through a travel agent or online flight seller to contact them immediately for advice.

We'll update you if we receive any further information.

© RAWK 2005
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 06:58:47 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Urgent Info for Reds travelling to Istanbul with Onur Air
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 01:50:04 pm »
Flying with this mob sounds scarey anyway.  You don't get refused landing permission on safety grounds for nowt. 

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 02:12:55 pm »
Don't forget to buy your limited edition LFC Champions League Final puncture repair kits.

Offline SPORTOPS.COM

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 02:54:58 pm »
Flight Options are pleased to confirm that none of our Flights to Istanbul for the Champions League Final are with Onur Air.

Offline Redordead

• Legacy Fan
  • Rarely visits North Korea these days
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 05:59:32 pm »
Flight Options are pleased to confirm that none of our Flights to Istanbul for the Champions League Final are with Onur Air.

Thank fuck for that, as I am going with Flight options!

Still, agree with what TSC said.  A bit dodgy that, hope everyone is safe and thats the main thing!

Houses smell of mushy peas, cat piss, dope and (in the more extreme cases in West Yorks) ammunition.  Wives look like scarred pitbull terriers.  Children are feral, resembling hungry monkeys.  Bloke wears vests a lot.  Tracksuit bottoms.  Slippers.  Few tattoos.  Wishes he'd joined the army, pretends he was a Para.  Spends too much time wanking...

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 06:56:14 pm »

Thanks Flight Options - we'll amend the initial story :wave
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline SKITTLE

• Legacy Fan
  • One of the "older" brigade.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 02:31:22 pm »
Nice to see Flight Options going the extra mile to keep customers informed.Doesn't take much does it ?
Been there,done that,getting older,bordering on part timer status. So sad but that's life.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 03:10:11 pm »
apparently Switzerland and Paris added to the list of those banning Onur.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 03:10:38 pm »
:'(

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 03:31:43 pm »
Found this article on http://www.dw-world.de/

The Belgian transport minister has entered the fray surrounding Turkish airline, Onur Air. On Thursday, Dutch and German authorities grounded the airline, citing "serious safety deficiencies."

Belgium's Transport Minister Renaat Landuyt said authorities planned to step up inspections of planes belonging to Onur Air banned from flying in several European countries for safety reasons.

"Every plane will be checked thoroughly. We do not want to take any risks," Landuyt told the Belga news agency late Friday.

No time limit on ban

His comments came after Dutch, German, French and Swiss authorities announced this week that they were banning Onur Air flights because of safety concerns.

Swiss and French authorities said the ban was effective until further notice.

On Thursday, Dutch authorities informed the Istanbul-based Onur Air that it had been grounded for a month due to "serious safety deficiencies observed in respect of aircraft, operational procedures and aircraft handling," according to a copy of the Dutch decision obtained by AFP.

German authorities followed suit shortly after, telling the company in a fax obtained by AFP that all granted permissions had been "revoked with immediate effect due to severe safety concerns." It did not say how long the ban would be in effect.

Airline officials on Friday threatened to file a lawsuit over the restrictive measures while Turkish Transport Minister Binali Yildirim said a meeting between civil aviation officials from the countries concerned was scheduled for Monday in the Netherlands to settle the dispute.

Offline mckenna

• Boys Pen
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 02:04:00 pm »
I have just posted this in the other thread about ONUR but thought i would put it here also. I have just telephoned Lonsdale finally got through, and was told that ONUR has been replaced with a different airline for the 6am departure from Liverpool. They said that they have applied for the same flight times although this may change but they will let us know if this happens.
Liverpool FC, by far the greatest team the world has ever seen

Offline tb100100

• Kemlynite
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 11:57:36 pm »
Thank heaven for that ;D

Offline DennisS

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 08:35:02 am »
Ban in Holland is not lifted yet. Talks have been ongoing but resulted in nothing yet. On Wednesday they will held talks again to shorten the ban. No date has been mentioned so far.

Sez_20

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 11:52:45 pm »
I'm booked through a travel agent in Paris, leave Monday, return thursday. They were using Onur Air, presume there will be quite a few people going this way via Paris.

Called them today and it seems there is still a problem with Onur Air so my monday flight has been replaced with another charter flight with a company called Fly Air. I asked about Tuesdays flight aswell because a mate is on that flight and they said as yet they have no information.

If anyone has booked through Marmara.fr - number given on their website is not available from the UK so you need to call 0033 144636300. They should* have someone who speaks English although I have got some snotty parisiens on the line before who can't!