Author Topic: 2017/18 Champions League group stage draw. Thursday 24th August at 5pm  (Read 193102 times)

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Re: 2017/18 Champions League group stage draw. Thursday 24th August at 5pm
« Reply #2040 on: August 25, 2017, 02:44:03 am »
I fucking love that we have that many games.  Fucking love watching Liverpool play regardless of who we are playing. 

I fucking love that the Norwegians call the international break the 'Land slag pause' ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #2041 on: August 25, 2017, 03:18:18 am »
I'd struggle to hand pick a better draw for us. Awesome!

Even rigging the simulator wouldn't have come out this good. We've somehow avoided every elite team.
YWNA

Offline Risto

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2042 on: August 25, 2017, 04:25:35 am »
Neither here nor there, except for coefficient purposes. Ideal thing would be if all the English teams knocked out all the Italian teams on their way to the QFs, then all but Liverpool are knocked out at that point.

Italian clubs don't matter for co-efficient purposes anymore. From next season, the top 4 associations all will have 4 teams directly qualified to the group stages. As long as England don't drop below France or Russia, it doesn't really matter how the other English sides go.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #2043 on: August 25, 2017, 05:05:28 am »
The league cup is going to be at the bottom of our priorities, there is no way we will be fielding a strong side whilst taking part in the groupstages  in Europe. It's impossible

Nor should we. Klopp (rightly) won't loan out his most promising youngsters and they need games. Woodburn, Solanke, Gomez, Alexander Arnold (if he's not first choice by then), Wilson and Kent could do serious damage in the league cup.

Likewise, if we're in a comfortable position in the group they're a good bunch to rely on for the Moscow game at home.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #2044 on: August 25, 2017, 05:39:38 am »
Italian clubs don't matter for co-efficient purposes anymore. From next season, the top 4 associations all will have 4 teams directly qualified to the group stages. As long as England don't drop below France or Russia, it doesn't really matter how the other English sides go.

Spectacular. In that case screw all the other English teams.

Offline Koplad83

• Main Stander
« Reply #2045 on: August 25, 2017, 07:50:24 am »
You are the minority. I don't give a fuck about other English clubs, just like they don't give a fuck about us. I hope they fail at the first hurdle. Maybe that's because I'm not English, but I've never ever wanted another English club to do well in any competition.

You're not in the minority mate, I don't know any other Liverpool fans who want the others to do well. I'd rather they all lost every game

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: August 25, 2017, 08:18:47 am »
Absolutely fantastic draw for us!

I couldn't have picked it better myself  ;D

I'd like to think we can definitely top our group  :thumbup

Yernited have got a cracking draw too.

Feel a bit sorry for Spurs!   :lmao :lmao

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2047 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:07 am »
Have Man United and Liverpool fans in Moscow on consecutive days coupled with the well-known Russian fixation with hooligan fans of their own.

What could possibly go wrong?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: August 25, 2017, 10:33:36 am »
Liverpool and Man Utd to work with Uefa as both clubs are set to play #UCL games in Moscow in the space of 24 hours. http://bbc.in/2iuZvAs

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2049 on: August 25, 2017, 10:52:49 am »
Liverpool and Man Utd to work with Uefa as both clubs are set to play #UCL games in Moscow in the space of 24 hours. http://bbc.in/2iuZvAs

'Work with' in what way? They're not going to change the fixtures are they?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: August 25, 2017, 11:04:51 am »
'Work with' in what way? They're not going to change the fixtures are they?

Someone didnt click the link

The two clubs will work with UEFA on security and safety of the supporters is absolutely paramount.

There is no proposal at this stage for either fixture to be reversed.

Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2051 on: August 25, 2017, 11:21:56 am »
Aren't Russian ties usually at 5pm for some reason?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2052 on: August 25, 2017, 11:24:01 am »
I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love it if all English teams went through to the last 16, we're (English teams) are a bit of a laughing stock at the moment in Europe.

Nah. We're scouse not english. I don`t give two shiny shit*s about other english teams doing well in Europe. For that matter I don`t really give a sh*t about England either with their large number of moronic engurland fans. Doesn`t mean I won`t watch the games with interest but as for caring - nope
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #2053 on: August 25, 2017, 12:06:03 pm »
Aren't Russian ties usually at 5pm for some reason?

They k.o. at 7pm Moscow time in mid winter games as temperature plummets the later it gets. So 5pm UK time  for Matchdays 5 and 6 in Moscow.

We are normal 19.45 UK time k.o. as it's in Sept but 21.45 start in Moscow so late finish.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #2054 on: August 25, 2017, 12:33:22 pm »
You are the minority. I don't give a fuck about other English clubs, just like they don't give a fuck about us. I hope they fail at the first hurdle.

Not only do we want to advance as far as possible in the CL, we also want to do well in the league.

Do we not advance the second cause by having our rivals deal with the same fatigue and attrition as us but without the success?

I want every one of the fuckers to be knocked out as late as possible without winning anything.

Nirvana would be having them all drop into Europa.
Kill the humourless

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: August 25, 2017, 01:22:15 pm »
Five of the clubs above us in the club rankings are English and amongst those we need to do better than to improve our ranking over the next few years, to get into pot 2 regularly. Spurs are potentially catchable this year, if they have a poor group and we get to the later stages. Both United and Chelsea need decent seasons to maintain their positions or possibly be catchable next season, as they lose good 2013/14 scores.

Anyway...
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: August 25, 2017, 01:25:27 pm »
Nah. We're scouse not english. I don`t give two shiny shit*s about other english teams doing well in Europe. For that matter I don`t really give a sh*t about England either with their large number of moronic engurland fans. Doesn`t mean I won`t watch the games with interest but as for caring - nope

Will wish Spurs all the best (to a point) but as for the other 2 shower of wankers, Fuck them and their mumbling, incoherent miserable arsed managers.

Offline Alizan1892

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2057 on: August 25, 2017, 01:34:50 pm »
Hello from Russia)
I'am a Liverpool fan and i need help!!

I really want to get to the game in Moscow, but it's impossible to buy a ticket, because they will be bought by ticket holders for Spartak games and there will be no free tickets. Maybe one of you who does not go to the match, but has an Membership, will be able to buy for me a ticket to the rostrum of the fans of Liverpool? If there is any doubt in my love for the club, I can provide proof. I really hope for someone's help, because I do not have the opportunity, like many of you, to attend the matches of your favorite team, which makes every visit to my country special! Sorry for my English at school I studied German, but it's even worse)
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2058 on: August 25, 2017, 02:52:22 pm »
Hello from Russia)

I really want to get to the game in Moscow, but it's impossible to buy a ticket, because they will be bought by ticket holders for Spartak games and there will be no free tickets. Maybe one of you who does not go to the match, but has an Membership, will be able to buy for me a ticket to the rostrum of the fans of Liverpool? If there is any doubt in my love for the club, I can provide proof. I really hope for someone's help, because I do not have the opportunity, like many of you, to attend the matches of your favorite team, which makes every visit to my country special! Sorry for my English at school I studied German, but it's even worse)
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

I can't help but you'd be better waiting until there is a ticket thread and asking in there :D

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: August 25, 2017, 03:01:59 pm »
Hello from Russia)

If you can guarantee my safety whilst over there i'll sort you a ticket ;)

Offline Alizan1892

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2060 on: August 25, 2017, 03:08:51 pm »
I can't help but you'd be better waiting until there is a ticket thread and asking in there :D
Do you know when the tickets will be on sale?

Offline Alizan1892

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2061 on: August 25, 2017, 03:13:55 pm »
If you can guarantee my safety whilst over there i'll sort you a ticket ;)

In fact, we are safe, but freaks are everywhere, unfortunately. In Moscow, there are more than 5 major football clubs, so it's better to be there without the attributes of Liverpool. If you help me, I'm ready to become your guide in Russia and you will learn that we also have normal people))

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: August 25, 2017, 04:25:36 pm »
Usually you need to win your home games in the group stage and leaves you affording a draw maybe away in Sevilla or Moscow. Can see us winning the home games comfortably; Sevilla will be a test but Klopp will be desperate to get a bit of revenge and Anfield should be too much for them.

I think it's good to have Sevilla in there as it will keep us on our toes a bit.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: August 25, 2017, 04:49:26 pm »
Absolute belter of a draw.

Thank god we missed the Madrid/Dortmund, PSG/Bayern and Juve/Barca groups.

I've zero interest in acting like a small club celebrating just playing big teams in the fucking group stage.

This gives us straight forward passage to the knockouts and thats when the real competition starts. Then bring on whoever the fuck is left.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2064 on: August 25, 2017, 05:17:25 pm »
Absolutely fantastic draw for us!

I couldn't have picked it better myself  ;D

I'd like to think we can definitely top our group  :thumbup

Yernited have got a cracking draw too.

Feel a bit sorry for Spurs!   :lmao :lmao

I don't know. Spurs are a bit like us, in that they can lack a bit of creativity to break down more defensive teams. Think Real and Dortmund will find them a tricky proposition. They dropped out last year against very average opposition in Bayer and CSKA, and were caught a little by surprise by Monaco (they weren't the only ones).

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #2065 on: August 25, 2017, 08:09:01 pm »
good draw really,
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:47:37 pm by PAULG »
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #2066 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:31 am »
Have we already submitted our squad names for the CL or is that deadline yet to come ?

Offline upthereds95

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2067 on: August 26, 2017, 11:31:17 am »
What do people think are the chances of getting a spare ticket for Sevilla away. Will we be able to buy tickets in the Seville home end or will they be onto me if I try that becuase I have a english bank card? Had to post this here becuase it wont let me post in the ticket forum.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: August 26, 2017, 11:52:41 am »
Have we already submitted our squad names for the CL or is that deadline yet to come ?

1st of September, after the transfer window closes.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2069 on: August 26, 2017, 01:54:10 pm »
What do people think are the chances of getting a spare ticket for Sevilla away. Will we be able to buy tickets in the Seville home end or will they be onto me if I try that becuase I have a english bank card? Had to post this here becuase it wont let me post in the ticket forum.

Chances are 50-50.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #2070 on: August 26, 2017, 03:24:55 pm »
I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love it if all English teams went through to the last 16, we're (English teams) are a bit of a laughing stock at the moment in Europe.

Maybe not such a small minority. I think England ruling European football again will help the economy and help bring in more global eyes onto the PL which in turn means LFC get more fans and bigger sponsorship deals. That helps us get more cash and sign the best players in the world.

If you think about it, who are the teams we are worried about in the CL? Barca, two Madrid teams, PSG  and Bayern. And our best players have consistently been going to foreign teams (Barca and Real mainly). We don't want to be feeders for them. Other English teams are having the same issues. Let's band together more and overthrow Spanish dominion in football.

How can we do this?

We should consistently raid their league for top players. Our economy is stronger than theirs and the FA should also be helping English teams in Europe. English teams that qualify out of the group stages should get a by to the last 16 of the FA cup so they can concentrate more on Europe.  All PL games scheduled for a weekend before Tuesday night CL knock out ties should be moved to Friday nights. The FA should not allow any English players to play for England in friendlies or small qualifiers if those players are playing for teams that are in the KO stage of the CL.

We should also be a little more clever. The FA should encourage PL teams to buy players from teams that are drawn in groups with English teams. So in this case  say Benfica (in Manu's group), Napoli in Chelsea's, Seville in ours and Dortmund in Spurs.

Teams like Arsenal, Everton etc. should receive a memo from the FA telling them any fees for players from those clubs will be part paid for by the FA.

It will be a great way to weaken opposing leagues and strengthen ours.

Unity is key. Stronger leadership by the FA is needed.

Those who stand still get left behind. We stood still and now the Spanish, French and Germans are dominating us.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:27:57 pm by HumanRed »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2071 on: August 26, 2017, 04:06:10 pm »
Maybe not such a small minority.
So, a minority of two then? ;)

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #2072 on: August 26, 2017, 04:30:29 pm »
So, a minority of two then? ;)

:) Across the country and amongst fans of lower league and lower PL clubs I doubt there's much negativity towards English teams representing English football. I think it only seems like a minority when in the goldfish bowl of supporting a team in the CL or a big PL team as you don't want your rivals winning titles and getting more revenue, prestige etc..

But for the average Grimsby, Plymouth and Luton supporter, I doubt there's much reason to be negative towards any of the English teams in the CL. They have more in common with Spurs and Liverpool than they do with say Dortmund and Benfica.

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2073 on: August 26, 2017, 06:33:33 pm »
Maybe not such a small minority. I think England ruling European football again will help the economy and help bring in more global eyes onto the PL which in turn means LFC get more fans and bigger sponsorship deals. That helps us get more cash and sign the best players in the world.

If you think about it, who are the teams we are worried about in the CL? Barca, two Madrid teams, PSG  and Bayern. And our best players have consistently been going to foreign teams (Barca and Real mainly). We don't want to be feeders for them. Other English teams are having the same issues. Let's band together more and overthrow Spanish dominion in football.

How can we do this?

We should consistently raid their league for top players. Our economy is stronger than theirs and the FA should also be helping English teams in Europe. English teams that qualify out of the group stages should get a by to the last 16 of the FA cup so they can concentrate more on Europe.  All PL games scheduled for a weekend before Tuesday night CL knock out ties should be moved to Friday nights. The FA should not allow any English players to play for England in friendlies or small qualifiers if those players are playing for teams that are in the KO stage of the CL.

We should also be a little more clever. The FA should encourage PL teams to buy players from teams that are drawn in groups with English teams. So in this case  say Benfica (in Manu's group), Napoli in Chelsea's, Seville in ours and Dortmund in Spurs.

Teams like Arsenal, Everton etc. should receive a memo from the FA telling them any fees for players from those clubs will be part paid for by the FA.

It will be a great way to weaken opposing leagues and strengthen ours.

Unity is key. Stronger leadership by the FA is needed.

Those who stand still get left behind. We stood still and now the Spanish, French and Germans are dominating us.

I hope TF that each and everyone of them lose all their games, get injuries and sending offs and the gobshite from Portugal loses another job. Anything that makes them weaker makes us stronger. It makes me sick to the stomach when any of them win anything, including their under 15's teams.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2074 on: August 26, 2017, 07:15:40 pm »
I hope TF that each and everyone of them lose all their games, get injuries and sending offs and the gobshite from Portugal loses another job. Anything that makes them weaker makes us stronger. It makes me sick to the stomach when any of them win anything, including their under 15's teams.
Now that's more like it 👍