Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12289820 times)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #92520 on: March 19, 2017, 06:41:33 pm »
Anyone know how the lads got on, can't find anything online.

Won on pens. 1-1 at full time, Virtue with the equaliser. We went 2-1 up in extra time before they equalised, no idea on that goal or the pens scored/missed, it was 5-4 on pens though.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92521 on: March 19, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »
Won on pens. 1-1 at full time, Virtue with the equaliser. We went 2-1 up in extra time before they equalised, no idea on that goal or the pens scored/missed, it was 5-4 on pens though.
Cheers mate 

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92522 on: March 19, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »
Hahaha wtf my Sig 😃

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92523 on: March 19, 2017, 06:45:23 pm »
Cheers mate 

No problem. FlashScore.com is normally pretty good for u23 live scores, they've had our last few games on there.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92524 on: March 19, 2017, 06:56:17 pm »
No problem. FlashScore.com is normally pretty good for u23 live scores, they've had our last few games on there.
Thanks again mate I'll remember that.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92525 on: March 19, 2017, 10:34:00 pm »
If he is good enough for Liverpool's bench surely he is good enough for Wales'?

Quite.

Given Wales' attacking options off the bench are Sam Vokes (who is mostly on the bench for Burnley) and Hal Robson-Kanu (who is mostly on the bench for WBA), I think there's a strong argument that Woodburn (who gets on the bench for Liverpool) is a decent shout for the Welsh squad. He'd likely have been joining up with the junior teams regardless, so why wouldn't we want him to train with / learn from Gareth Bale instead? Great experience for him.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #92526 on: March 19, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »
I didn't even realize they were playing tonight. Great to see they have won again. Keep it going lads.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #92527 on: March 20, 2017, 12:36:39 pm »
Harry Wilson called into the Wales squad

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92528 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:04 pm »

He's already tied to Wales isn't he? In which case we can be more confident in the reasons why he's been called up.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #92529 on: March 20, 2017, 01:33:30 pm »
He's already tied to Wales isn't he? In which case we can be more confident in the reasons why he's been called up.

Is wales youngest cap ever i think? so he'd been called up before yes

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #92530 on: March 20, 2017, 02:15:24 pm »

Yes, for once we don't need to be suspicious of these countries which are not the England national football team, that bastion of good manners and decency.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92531 on: March 20, 2017, 06:09:41 pm »
I think he and FIFA disagree, but whatever makes you happy
Well actually Fifa do not disagree. Fifa rules clearly state that he could not play for Wales because he is not Welsh. However he can play for Wales because his grandfather (not Ben) is Welsh. Note the difference.

The fact that he was born to two English parent and in England means he is English but whatever makes you happy.

*I am neither nationality so couldnt care less who he plays for but would prefer him to play for Wales. I believe it will be best for his Liverpool career.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:14:00 pm by dakid »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92532 on: March 20, 2017, 06:30:23 pm »
Yes, for once we don't need to be suspicious of these countries which are not the England national football team, that bastion of good manners and decency.

I'm not suspicious mate, I just wondered if we were going to have a load of people banging on about Wilson and Wales in the same way they did for Woodburn. I personally couldn't give a shit who these guys play for, it's their lives and I hate international football anyway.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92533 on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:11 pm »
Well actually Fifa do not disagree. Fifa rules clearly state that he could not play for Wales because he is not Welsh. However he can play for Wales because his grandfather (not Ben) is Welsh. Note the difference.

The fact that he was born to two English parent and in England means he is English but whatever makes you happy.

*I am neither nationality so couldnt care less who

*I am neither nationality so couldnt care less who he plays for but would prefer him to play for Wales. I believe it will be best for his Liverpool career.
he plays for but would prefer him to play for Wales. I believe it will be best for his Liverpool career.

How are they both English parents if the grandfather is Welsh. There seems a bizarre Welsh denial in the air.  If Ben woodburn says he is Welsh and can satisfy the tests, what is the point of this pantomime "oh no you're not"

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92534 on: March 20, 2017, 06:55:09 pm »
I'm not suspicious mate, I just wondered if we were going to have a load of people banging on about Wilson and Wales in the same way they did for Woodburn. I personally couldn't give a shit who these guys play for, it's their lives and I hate international football anyway.

Fair dos, the whole debate is ridiculous, and never occurs in relation to players representing England

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #92535 on: March 20, 2017, 07:34:48 pm »

How are they both English parents if the grandfather is Welsh.
his parents where born in England, and not Wales.
JFT 96

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92536 on: March 20, 2017, 07:41:38 pm »

Jeez I hate to weigh in on this interminably stupid debate, but if you're born in one country to parents of another country, do you not think that it would be possible that you would identify with the nationality of your parents? National identity is literally impossible to draw definitive lines around, but FIFA drew lines somewhere because they had to. BW is Welsh by the only measure that matters, which is FIFA's.

Good on Ben and Harry for getting into the squad... I hope they get tonked on Friday :)

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #92537 on: March 20, 2017, 07:54:20 pm »
Jeez I hate to weigh in on this interminably stupid debate, but if you're born in one country to parents of another country, do you not think that it would be possible that you would identify with the nationality of your parents?

of course i can, seen it firsthand..But his question was   "How are they both English parents if the grandfather is Welsh. "
thats alls i was answering, not the validity of the players call up

JFT 96

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92538 on: March 20, 2017, 08:04:11 pm »
By the looks of it we (Rep Of Ireland) will be looking for Wales to loan us a few players to make up the numbers on Friday night so you never know, he  may end up playing in green !

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92539 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:33 pm »
Wilson and woodburn gonna tear it up for Wales in the future 😃
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92540 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:51 pm »
By the looks of it we (Rep Of Ireland) will be looking for Wales to loan us a few players to make up the numbers on Friday night so you never know, he  may end up playing in green !
Late call up for McAuley and Masterson incoming.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #92541 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:48 pm »
Staggering how people don't realise how little depth Wales have in footy terms and how they've always given early debuts to players to get them settled into the set up. Gareth Bale made his debut at 16 and Giggs at 17. Woodburn might get a sub appearance if he's lucky and he's 17.

With Simon Church injured - Wales' 4th choice attacker - Ben Woodburn was called up as our 6th option in attack. He's behind Bale, Vokes, Robson-Kanu, Tom Lawrence (on-loan at Ipswich) and Tom Bradshaw (Barnsley) - 1 of the top players in world footy, 2 benched Prem strikers for mid-table clubs and 2 Championship players. Why people keep insisting this is about 'keeping him from playing for England' I'll never know.

With Tom Lawrence out injured, again there isn't much choice and having impressed in the U21s and being such an exciting talent, Harry Wilson was always next in line for a call up. He would have been ahead of Woodburn but hasn't had the 1st team experience that Ben has had this season.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:16:59 pm by iamnant »
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #92542 on: March 20, 2017, 10:23:52 pm »

which kinda shows that Wales are a bit thin on striking talents, and I don't mean that as a dig at Harry Wilson :D

I hope both of them carry on developing and end up being regular starters in the Wales set up in good time.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92543 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:13 pm »
Late call up for McAuley and Masterson incoming.

Don't forget Kelleher, who is an excellent goalie prospect.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92544 on: March 20, 2017, 10:39:06 pm »

And if he can be Welsh from a grandfather, so can the grandfather's offspring

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92545 on: March 20, 2017, 10:55:41 pm »
And if he can be Welsh from a grandfather, so can the grandfather's offspring

Got a question that just popped up in my head, if Woodburn were to have kids born in England would they be able to represent Wales one day? :) ???

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92546 on: March 20, 2017, 11:11:46 pm »
It seems that Klopp is not very happy about Woodburn getting called into the Wales squad this early.

Klopp expected a call from Coleman over Woodburn's Wales call-up

Liverpool boss says there are now two managers responsible for gifted teenager

Jurgen Klopp says he was “surprised” that Chris Coleman didn’t bother phoning him prior to naming Liverpool’s Ben Woodburn in the senior Wales squad.

The Reds boss, who has been keen to shield the gifted teenager from the spotlight, only learned about Woodburn’s inclusion when his maiden call-up was made public last week.

The 17-year-old attacker, who was an unused substitute at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, had previously been part of Wales’ Under-19s set-up, but was elevated to the senior ranks by Coleman after just seven first-team appearances for Liverpool.

Asked if he had spoken to Coleman about Woodburn, Klopp said: “Actually, I was surprised about this.

“I don’t know exactly how it’s normal here. This should not be a criticism, but usually when you call up a player, a 17-year-old player, I thought it would be possible to call me.

“I’m not sure if he knows him well. He didn’t play in the team so far for Coleman I think. But no call.”

Woodburn has linked up with Coleman’s squad to begin preparations for this Friday’s World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin.

Klopp would have preferred that Woodburn was given more time to develop at club level and he’s now relying on Coleman to look after the youngest goal scorer in Liverpool’s history.

“If he stopped learning now, that would make no sense at 17,” Klopp added.

“I’m not in doubt about this. We didn’t hide him. We used him all the time. He’s a fixed part of our training. He can deal with the nomination for Wales 100%.

“It’s a little bit like my situation. As long as you give me the time, as long as we give him the time, everything will be good.

“He has to learn, he has to develop, he has to improve, all of this. That’s why I said there are now two managers responsible for him. Until now, it was only my job.”

The Football Association had hoped to convince Chester-born Woodburn to switch allegiances to England, but he’s opted to remain loyal to the country he’s represented at youth level since he was 13.

Coleman remains adamant that he picked Woodburn on merit for the senior squad rather than as a result of the speculation about his international future so he had no need to call Klopp.

“I make my own mind up about a player,” Coleman said.

“I understand when you pick young players then clubs go: ‘Oh, calm down’, but I make my own mind up.

“No matter how old he is, if he is good enough and I think he has something to offer us and can help us in this challenge then I am going to pick him. That’s no disrespect to Jurgen or anybody else who say maybe he’s not.

“He belongs to them but I’ve got a job to do for Wales and I have to pick my strongest squad. At the minute from what I have seen he belongs in our strongest 23. That’s why he is there.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-expected-call-coleman-over-12768780#ICID=sharebar

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #92547 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:46 pm »
I was a bit surpised that no contact was made between Wales and Liverpool, I wonder if that was the same when Wilson was called up the first time?

It's cool that Kloppo is concerned and protective though, and rightly and understandibaly so as well.  I hope Coleman is the same and respects how Liverpool are dealing with him breaking into the first team at such a young age.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92548 on: March 20, 2017, 11:43:55 pm »
I was a bit surpised that no contact was made between Wales and Liverpool, I wonder if that was the same when Wilson was called up the first time?

It's cool that Kloppo is concerned and protective though, and rightly and understandibaly so as well.  I hope Coleman is the same and respects how Liverpool are dealing with him breaking into the first team at such a young age.

I would agree. I said before it was obvious that Ben would be used a bit this season at least off the bench. I imagine Klopp would have liked to have had him in Tenerife but this call up has put paid to that. I have mixed feelings about it to be honest. While I'm happy for Ben, I would rather he had stayed with the club this season and developed under Klopp. There would have been plenty of time for a call-up next season rather than now. I just hope it all goes well for him.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92549 on: March 20, 2017, 11:46:53 pm »

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92550 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:10 pm »
Got a question that just popped up in my head, if Woodburn were to have kids born in England would they be able to represent Wales one day? :) ???

Interesting question. No they wouldn't. They could become eligible under the home nations "education clause" if they moved to Wales and spent five years in the Welsh education system before the age of 18. That rule is how Karamoko Dembele got eligible for Scotland.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92551 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:08 am »
Interesting question. No they wouldn't. They could become eligible under the home nations "education clause" if they moved to Wales and spent five years in the Welsh education system before the age of 18. That rule is how Karamoko Dembele got eligible for Scotland.

Unless the mother was Welsh, I guess, or had a Welsh parent or parents.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92552 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:39 am »
The lad is barely out of puberty and already you're talking about kids. Is he another Sterling?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92553 on: March 21, 2017, 08:25:46 am »
The lad is barely out of puberty and already you're talking about kids. Is he another Sterling?

These hypothetical situations could be make or break man!

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #92554 on: March 21, 2017, 08:57:43 am »
Nice headline in the Guardian about Woodburn:

Jürgen Klopp fumes at Chris Coleman over Ben Woodburn’s Wales call-up

Actual content and quote:
Asked if he had spoken to Coleman about Woodburn’s call, Klopp said: “Actually, I was surprised about this. I don’t know exactly how it’s normal here. This should not be a criticism, but usually when you call up a player, a 17-year-old player, I thought it would be possible to call me.

:o

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #92555 on: March 21, 2017, 09:16:13 am »
Never really a fan of players who are called to the senior national team without having proven anything at club level or U-23 or U-21 levels.

Offline Joff123

• Anny Roader
  • They say our days our numbered
    • Twitter
« Reply #92556 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:38 am »
Never really a fan of players who are called to the senior national team without having proven anything at club level or U-23 or U-21 levels.

Wilson hasn't proved himself at U23 level?  ??? :o

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92557 on: March 21, 2017, 10:30:27 am »
Nice headline in the Guardian about Woodburn:

Jürgen Klopp fumes at Chris Coleman over Ben Woodburn’s Wales call-up

Actual content and quote:
Asked if he had spoken to Coleman about Woodburn’s call, Klopp said: “Actually, I was surprised about this. I don’t know exactly how it’s normal here. This should not be a criticism, but usually when you call up a player, a 17-year-old player, I thought it would be possible to call me.

:o

That's how I fume at people. I'm absolutely livid every time I post here.

Absolutely livid.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92558 on: March 21, 2017, 10:31:00 am »

Not when he made his debut, but that's very old news. Given the current strength of the Welsh squad I think he merits this call up.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #92559 on: March 21, 2017, 11:52:36 am »

Wilson was 16 when he was called into the National team. Woodburn is 17. And being a member of the senior team, in my opinion, should be earned on merit and honour rather than, talent or future. And by future, I meant a football association's calling up a player with a view to tie him up with that national team and all that. This thing is more often than not, ignored. Happened with Sterling, Wilson and now Woodburn. Selecting a player into a national team, and then vehemently denying trying to tap up the young player. It should be an age of natural development, trying to strengthen their physique, get their techniques right, learn about movement, positioning, defending and pressing. That's when the club, and the national team, prosper because they have a player who has learnt his basics and is ready to serve the first team of a national team. Some people step up and some people don't. But at 16/17 you wouldn't know that. That's my point.