Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12293219 times)

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #92480 on: March 17, 2017, 02:19:27 pm »
If Woodburn picked Wales over England because he was worried about the things the media might say about him as an England player - and I don't believe for a second that is the case - then he picked Wales for completely the wrong reasons. Who wants a player who in the back of their head is thinking "I'm here because I was worried playing for England might be too much pressure"? How would that player deal with big game pressure? They'd let you down. If he's genuinely worried about fans and media being mean to him then he's should move to a smaller club than Liverpool sharpish because that same sort of pressure exists here in abundance. Elite footballers need a strong mindset and, for the avoidance of doubt, I think Woodburn has one.

And the fact Wales got in early doors doesn't mean it isn't snatching. It's a big part of their strategy to get the best dual nationals from England when they're very young to foster a sense of loyalty in them. In this instance it's worked out very well for them but it isn't a strategy without risk. Lloyd Jones got his early Welsh youth call up but later he used his one time switch to go back to the England which means if he eventually turns out to be good enough for the Welsh senior team - but not England - he can't switch back. If they'd left him to England initially he could have switched further down the road. Same with Grealish and Ireland, amongst others.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #92481 on: March 17, 2017, 02:54:31 pm »
Look, if he's welsh, he's Welsh.  Is that not reason enough?

My god, being welsh means the poor lad has suffered enough as it is.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #92482 on: March 17, 2017, 03:17:19 pm »
With the England squad being in such disarray, it may well be a good thing for Woodburns development to play for the Welsh, especially when they have their best squad in a long time

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #92483 on: March 17, 2017, 05:28:31 pm »
With the England squad being in such disarray, it may well be a good thing for Woodburns development to play for the Welsh, especially when they have their best squad in a long time

Yep, it's a good set up, and while they do have some very good playres, they don't have a lot of depth, that may work out too.

It'd been a real waste if he'd gone with the England set up.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #92484 on: March 17, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
Klopp's words on Ben getting the Welsh call up were quite interesting. While happy for Ben he didn't seemed enthralled with the timing. I am really wondering with the way things are in the squad at the moment, whether the manager sees this as unfortunte timing. With Firmino still not a hundred per cent definite for City on Sunday, maybe Ben was being pencilled in. Therefore Klopp losing him to Wales suddenly would not be helpful to him. I can actually see the young lad being used by Liverpool more frequently, but now he will obviously be lost at least for a time.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92485 on: March 17, 2017, 09:50:44 pm »
I think he might be worried it might make the lad think he has 'made it' already now he has an international call up.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92486 on: March 17, 2017, 09:59:23 pm »
I think he might be worried it might make the lad think he has 'made it' already now he has an international call up.

I would be surprised, everyone including the manager has said they have no fears about Ben thinking that. Klopp did say that he thought Ben could handle it, and all the staff at the academy are the same with relation to that. It just maybe the fact that it takes Ben away from Anfield at a crucial time, if he continues to be used more in the games coming up.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92487 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:53 pm »
Fair enough.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92488 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:51 pm »

Well here is the thing..... he is not actually Welsh.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #92489 on: March 18, 2017, 08:27:42 am »
Under 18's playing second match in end of season round at 11am. Home to Blackburn Rovers. Important to win to utilise the draw away last eekend.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #92490 on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:50 am »
Well here is the thing..... he is not actually Welsh.

I think he and FIFA disagree, but whatever makes you happy

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #92491 on: March 18, 2017, 09:04:03 am »

My god, being welsh means the poor lad has suffered enough as it is.

Hilarious

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92492 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:28 am »
Or its his decision and fuck all to do with any of us. Hard to tell.
Did anyone say it wasn't his decision? He's a young lad being offered the chance to share a changing room with Gareth Bale and to represent a country on the International stage, I don't blame him at all. Your post in reference to mine makes barely any sense at all. Not hard to tell.

It's just a shame they are snaffling him up early doors simply to claim him for theirs, they have no real intention of using him as a first team player, thats why it stinks.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92493 on: March 18, 2017, 11:10:48 am »
Did anyone say it wasn't his decision? He's a young lad being offered the chance to share a changing room with Gareth Bale and to represent a country on the International stage, I don't blame him at all. Your post in reference to mine makes barely any sense at all. Not hard to tell.

It's just a shame they are snaffling him up early doors simply to claim him for theirs, they have no real intention of using him as a first team player, thats why it stinks.

While I think there's an element of truth to what you're saying, I think he might be closer to being in the first team than you think. Gareth Bale aside, we're not exactly overflowing with attacking talent. Besides, he's played for us at pretty much all youth levels, so he's probably fairly happy with being Welsh. It's actually not that much of a cross to bear, difficult as that may be to understand for some of you from over the border!

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92494 on: March 18, 2017, 11:13:35 am »
Wales aren't doing anything wrong. They've had him in their set up for ages and hes never seemed interested in England.

U18s leading Blackburn on lfctvgo. Missed the goal.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92495 on: March 18, 2017, 11:26:09 am »
Curtis Jones  scores the 2nd from a header.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92496 on: March 18, 2017, 12:32:33 pm »
Curtis Jones  scores the 2nd from a header.

You don't happen to know where there is a decent link do you mate?

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #92497 on: March 18, 2017, 01:09:53 pm »
Ended 3-0. Curtis Jones with two and one from George Johnston
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92498 on: March 18, 2017, 03:38:33 pm »
If he stays injury free I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones getting game time for the u23s within the next year.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #92499 on: March 19, 2017, 07:15:38 am »

1) Has he played for any England youth teams?
2) Pretending like it is easy to interpret all that from your 3 word post is ridiculous.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92500 on: March 19, 2017, 07:40:20 am »
all three goals from our u18 win over blackburn below

1st goal - https://streamable.com/59zef

2nd goal - https://streamable.com/d8l2r

3rd goal - https://streamable.com/zkgyj

credit to the creator of the clip.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92501 on: March 19, 2017, 08:08:49 am »
Curtis Jones is a cracking talent, interesting that we've played him through the middle at times, all the U16 stuff I've seen of him he was on the left, and he looks very natural there.

He reminds me of a taller Coutinho on the ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92502 on: March 19, 2017, 09:19:35 am »
all three goals from our u18 win over blackburn below

1st goal - https://streamable.com/59zef

2nd goal - https://streamable.com/d8l2r

3rd goal - https://streamable.com/zkgyj

credit to the creator of the clip.

Thanks for those. Some very good goals there, the last was my favourite a great one two at the end. I really hope Curtis does move up he has some really silky skills.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92503 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:08 am »

Right, so let me get this straight. Wales have had a player in their youth teams since he was 12 years old. He's now 17 and is featuring on the bench and getting first team minutes for a side with an array of attacking talent currently sitting in the top 4 of the Premier League. All of a sudden England are interested in him playing for them (but have ignored him for the last 5 years until he popped up for Liverpool) yet it's Wales that are doing the shitty thing that stinks? Can't get my head round that. And that's even without getting into the fact he will play for Wales over the next couple of years while he would get absolutely no where near the England set up.

Excited for the youngsters coming through at the moment, in particular Ben and Trent. I quite like Wilson, Ejaria and Ojo too but can we really be expecting 5 youngsters roughly the same age group break through? One is lucky enough.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92504 on: March 19, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
England didn't ignore him, he's just chose not to play for them for a while

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92505 on: March 19, 2017, 11:01:53 am »
I think the thing with Woodburn and Wales is he's obviously represented them at younger age groups so it's only natural he makes the progression. However they aren't remotely interested in him contributing in the upcoming games, he's had a handful of minutes off the bench for us and iirc started the wolves game at home? Anyhow he's neither done enough for a call up and he hasn't got the experience of a senior pro who isn't getting many minutes but would be good to have around type thing.

It's not as bad as the Wilson one though, play a minute for your country then get fucked off for a few years because we only want to secure any possible future representing wales.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92506 on: March 19, 2017, 11:54:33 am »
If it keeps him from getting run into the ground every international window by Aidy Boothroyd while playing shit football then I'm all for it.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92507 on: March 19, 2017, 12:07:15 pm »
I think the thing with Woodburn and Wales is he's obviously represented them at younger age groups so it's only natural he makes the progression. However they aren't remotely interested in him contributing in the upcoming games, he's had a handful of minutes off the bench for us and iirc started the wolves game at home? Anyhow he's neither done enough for a call up and he hasn't got the experience of a senior pro who isn't getting many minutes but would be good to have around type thing.

It's not as bad as the Wilson one though, play a minute for your country then get fucked off for a few years because we only want to secure any possible future representing wales.

Wales haven't got strength in depth, Woodburn could be getting genuine minutes over the next few international breaks IF he keeps on getting in and around our first team squad. Thing is with Wilson the time he got the call up there was huge excitement over him at Liverpool and since that call up he's had bad luck with injuries and hasn't really been in and around the first team squad, at least not as much as the other youngsters.

And even if Wales have no intention of playing Woodburn after this set of internationals for a while, do we really think England would? Lets not kid ourselves though; him choosing Wales is better in terms of international game time to improve at a higher level as he will feature more for Wales than he would England. Also the fact that the FAW aren't as incompetent as their English counterparts and we are less likely to get fucked over like we have done in the past with the likes of Sturridge and, well, every single England player we let join up.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread any further even if it is technically about the young lads. They're doing great and the fact we are even having this argument shows just how good some of them are.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92508 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:13 pm »
Wales haven't got strength in depth, Woodburn could be getting genuine minutes over the next few international breaks IF he keeps on getting in and around our first team squad. Thing is with Wilson the time he got the call up there was huge excitement over him at Liverpool and since that call up he's had bad luck with injuries and hasn't really been in and around the first team squad, at least not as much as the other youngsters.

And even if Wales have no intention of playing Woodburn after this set of internationals for a while, do we really think England would? Lets not kid ourselves though; him choosing Wales is better in terms of international game time to improve at a higher level as he will feature more for Wales than he would England. Also the fact that the FAW aren't as incompetent as their English counterparts and we are less likely to get fucked over like we have done in the past with the likes of Sturridge and, well, every single England player we let join up.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread any further even if it is technically about the young lads. They're doing great and the fact we are even having this argument shows just how good some of them are.

I'm not advocating england securing woodburn either. The kid has his head screwed on and if he's represented Wales since a young boy then it's obvious where his allegiances would naturally lie, or should do anyway.

Woodburn would of represented wales regardless. Like Klopp said, he shouldn't of been called up.

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #92509 on: March 19, 2017, 01:10:31 pm »
If Wales shouldn't be calling Woodburn up, Klopp shouldn't be playing Woodburn for Liverpool either. If he's ready for one, he's ready for the other.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92510 on: March 19, 2017, 01:24:08 pm »
If Wales shouldn't be calling Woodburn up, Klopp shouldn't be playing Woodburn for Liverpool either. If he's ready for one, he's ready for the other.

Explain

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92511 on: March 19, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »
he shouldn't of been called up.

How come? I'm made up for the lad. He'd have been over the moon when he got the call.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92512 on: March 19, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
Right, so let me get this straight. Wales have had a player in their youth teams since he was 12 years old. He's now 17 and is featuring on the bench and getting first team minutes for a side with an array of attacking talent currently sitting in the top 4 of the Premier League. All of a sudden England are interested in him playing for them (but have ignored him for the last 5 years until he popped up for Liverpool) yet it's Wales that are doing the shitty thing that stinks? Can't get my head round that.

This is a very dead horse by now, but you're struggling to get your head roudn it because you've got the details of the situation completely wrong. England first tried to call him up at U16 level years ago, nothing "all of a sudden" about it. He made his debut for a Wales youth team in March 2014 and that England call up was August 2014. 

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92513 on: March 19, 2017, 02:12:42 pm »
The lad has made his decision. It was his choice. Nobody forced it on him. I bet he's delighted he's been called up. Can we drop it now?

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92514 on: March 19, 2017, 02:58:49 pm »
This is a very dead horse by now, but you're struggling to get your head roudn it because you've got the details of the situation completely wrong. England first tried to call him up at U16 level years ago, nothing "all of a sudden" about it. He made his debut for a Wales youth team in March 2014 and that England call up was August 2014. 

What am I struggling to get my head round? I'm not trying to argue or be provocative. Im just a bit at odds as to why people have made such a big thing of it. It's not possible for him to be 'snatched'. He's not being forced to go, the decision is Ben's to make. And people are for some reason against it. Even with the 'completely wrong' understanding I have, now that you have enlightened me to the real situation I am still absolutely chuffed to bits that a young lad has been called up for the national team OF HIS CHOICE.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92515 on: March 19, 2017, 03:09:08 pm »
Chirivella just scored for Go Ahead Eagles. getting a lot of game time too which is only good for him and us.

also seems to be scoring a few. Can't remember him scoring many for us.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92516 on: March 19, 2017, 03:43:25 pm »
What am I struggling to get my head round? I'm not trying to argue or be provocative.

You literally said "All of a sudden England are interested in him playing for them (but have ignored him for the last 5 years until he popped up for Liverpool) yet it's Wales that are doing the shitty thing that stinks? Can't get my head round that." in your post. I quoted the post and explained why what you said in it was incorrect. Are you still struggling to get your head round it?

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92517 on: March 19, 2017, 03:49:21 pm »
First U23 start for Yan Dhanda?

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92518 on: March 19, 2017, 06:29:46 pm »
Explain
If he is good enough for Liverpool's bench surely he is good enough for Wales'?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92519 on: March 19, 2017, 06:32:14 pm »
First U23 start for Yan Dhanda?

Anyone know how the lads got on, can't find anything online.