Author Topic: Greatest Liverpool XI - School Project  (Read 15966 times)

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Re: Greatest Liverpool XI - School Project
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2020, 01:29:01 am »
This has been done loads of times so I'll merge it in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I protest that both Riise and Kuyt should even be considered given our glorious list of greats.
indeed, particularly from a list that's missing Terry Mac and Ray Kennedy to name but two
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2020, 01:34:59 am »
Ok , know this young reds, Terry McDermott would waltz into any Liverpool team from any era. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/CRMJT187wxs
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2020, 12:06:08 am »
Having seen them all week in week out since the late '50's, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on any attempt to name a best ever eleven. The magnificence of so many of the current team has made what has for many years been a hugely difficult task into one which is now impossible.

For crying out loud, every position now has at least three or four contenders with scarcely a feeler gauge between them in terms of quality.

What I will say, however, is that as far as I'm concerned no LFC best ever team - and I mean no best ever LFC selection whatsoever - can ever NOT have within its ranks three four players - namely Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish and Rushie [how the fuck did I leave him out].

So apologies to your son but I'm afraid the incredible quality of so many of Kloppie's current team has well and truly fucked up the credibility of any selection process. But good luck to your lad in his task. One thing's for sure - whichever team he picks would win everything going, so he cannot possibly go wrong!!

;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:08:59 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Online Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2020, 12:45:07 am »
                           Becker

Alexander Arnold Hansen Van Dijk Hughes(c)
                                  Henderson
                                    Alonso
                      Gerrard Dalglish Barnes
                                     Rush
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:46:38 am by Redwhiteandnotblue »

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2020, 01:11:56 am »
Having seen them all week in week out since the late '50's, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on any attempt to name a best ever eleven. The magnificence of so many of the current team has made what has for many years been a hugely difficult task into one which is now impossible.

For crying out loud, every position now has at least three or four contenders with scarcely a feeler gauge between them in terms of quality.

What I will say, however, is that as far as I'm concerned no LFC best ever team - and I mean no best ever LFC selection whatsoever - can ever NOT have within its ranks three players - namely Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish.

So apologies to your son but I'm afraid the incredible quality of so many of Kloppie's current team has well and truly fucked up the credibility of any selection process. But good luck to your lad in his task. One thing's for sure - whichever team he picks would win everything going, so he cannot possibly go wrong!!

;D

It's so hard to quantify generation versus generation. It goes without saying that the heroes of Shankly's days were absolute class in their own era, but then again neither of those teams picked up a run of 104 points during 38 games and won the European Cup in the middle of it. Since competition is much greater at the peak of the game today and the players spend so much more time training, the relative level of perfection among top players is always going to be harder. Last time we won the league I think we got 78 points. We're passing that in February this year and City did so two years ago as well. Last year 97 points didn't win the league.

So, all in all, while many of the epic names of the past like Smith, Yeats and Hughes are members of any 22-man squad assembled, it becomes hard to suggest either of them could knock off Virgil van Dijk from an all-time Liverpool XI.

I've also picked my XI with Klopp as manager and with modern, more effiecient football, in mind. Clemence would fit the style of play less than Alisson, even though he was probably just as good a shot-stopper (well before my time). That's the same reason I've included Salah and Suárez over Rush, purely because I've picked a side designed to be as hard to play against and as unpredictable as possible. With Kenny dropping deeper in an attacking phase as a false nine in order for the widemen to cut inside onto their stronger feet, it only leaves space for Rush as the supersub and Roger Hunt misses out on the 22 altogether for that reason. I believe fitting Gerrard, Dalglish and Rush together in a modern 4-3-3 would've been quite difficult because Kenny as a deeper midfielder would've seen him and Stevie run into one another's spaces more often than not and it also would've forced me to drop the perfect balance of Alonso and Souness.

Since Alonso would fit as #6 deep lying playmaker, Souness as the bloodhound and Gerrard as the #8 to complement Dalglish dropping deep, my midfield is fairly well-set from the get-go and since Neal and Kennedy were natural full backs both make sense to put into the team.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:13:33 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2020, 03:24:31 am »
Jesus.

Gonna be hard this but deffo going for a 442 so Callaghan gets in. Going to try to mix it up a tad with the arl players and the now players and recent ones.

Clemence

Robbo
Virg
Jockey
Neal

Callaghan
Gerrard
Souness
Barnes

Kenny
Suarez

Fucking impossible.

I reckon a 352 would be easier for me to pick but knackered.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2020, 03:35:19 am »
Missing players Stevenson,St John,Byrne.

Peter Thompson .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2020, 08:40:24 am »
I think any team needs Rush top scorer and Callaghan top appearances in it
walk on...walk on...

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2020, 09:35:22 am »
Gave up at CB, sorry. Just not possible. When you put big Sami in first as you’re favourite ever player, then realise you have to pick 1 from Hansen, Smith and Virg, you realise it’s an impossible task.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2020, 12:07:43 pm »
Gave up at CB, sorry. Just not possible. When you put big Sami in first as you’re favourite ever player, then realise you have to pick 1 from Hansen, Smith and Virg, you realise it’s an impossible task.

Ha ha - that's sort of where I came up short Misty. As Linudden just said above the current team is insanely strong in every single position with an ongoing record to back it up and there's an argument for simply putting forward any one of our current first thirteeen - and yeah I'm including Milner because of the multi-facetted ingredients he brings to the table.

Also I should have included Rushie in my previous post where I listed those players who it's unthinkable to leave out. I've now amended the post to read Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard, Kenny and Rushie.

:)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2020, 12:09:18 pm »
It's so hard to quantify generation versus generation. It goes without saying that the heroes of Shankly's days were absolute class in their own era, but then again neither of those teams picked up a run of 104 points during 38 games and won the European Cup in the middle of it. Since competition is much greater at the peak of the game today and the players spend so much more time training, the relative level of perfection among top players is always going to be harder. Last time we won the league I think we got 78 points. We're passing that in February this year and City did so two years ago as well. Last year 97 points didn't win the league.

So, all in all, while many of the epic names of the past like Smith, Yeats and Hughes are members of any 22-man squad assembled, it becomes hard to suggest either of them could knock off Virgil van Dijk from an all-time Liverpool XI.

I've also picked my XI with Klopp as manager and with modern, more effiecient football, in mind. Clemence would fit the style of play less than Alisson, even though he was probably just as good a shot-stopper (well before my time). That's the same reason I've included Salah and Suárez over Rush, purely because I've picked a side designed to be as hard to play against and as unpredictable as possible. With Kenny dropping deeper in an attacking phase as a false nine in order for the widemen to cut inside onto their stronger feet, it only leaves space for Rush as the supersub and Roger Hunt misses out on the 22 altogether for that reason. I believe fitting Gerrard, Dalglish and Rush together in a modern 4-3-3 would've been quite difficult because Kenny as a deeper midfielder would've seen him and Stevie run into one another's spaces more often than not and it also would've forced me to drop the perfect balance of Alonso and Souness.

Since Alonso would fit as #6 deep lying playmaker, Souness as the bloodhound and Gerrard as the #8 to complement Dalglish dropping deep, my midfield is fairly well-set from the get-go and since Neal and Kennedy were natural full backs both make sense to put into the team.

Good stuff.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2020, 12:15:55 pm »

----- Dalglish Suarez

Liddell Souness Molby Salah

Kennedy Hansen Lawrenson Neal

----------- Clemence
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2020, 12:32:54 pm »
Clemence
Neal
Hansen
Yeats
Kennedy
Callaghan
Gerrard
Souness
Barnes
Dalglish
Rush

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2020, 12:33:52 pm »
As many have said it's pretty much impossible to pick a team and to leave out some true greats but when it comes to picking the forward line that impossibility goes up a level.

Clemence
Neal
Hansen
Virgil
Kennedy
Mo
McDermott
Souness
Barnes
Rushie
The King

I'd love to find ròom for Torres, before he signed I thought I was too old for favourite players. He was pure class.

Overall we are very lucky to have seen and loved so many giants on and off the field. When I see that pic of Cantona, Ferguson and Solksjaer in the Manc thread it reminds me how much better off we were and are.
Our equivalent of that us Bill/Bob, Kenny and Fairclough. Our heroes have humility, theres do not.

Good luck to your young lad Ziltoid.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2020, 12:47:01 pm »
Also I should have included Rushie in my previous post where I listed those players who it's unthinkable to leave out. I've now amended the post to read Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard, Kenny and Rushie.

Souness?  Keep amending it Timbo and you/we might get there ;D

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2020, 01:08:53 pm »

What I will say, however, is that as far as I'm concerned no LFC best ever team - and I mean no best ever LFC selection whatsoever - can ever NOT have within its ranks three four players - namely Tommy Smith, Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish and Rushie [how the fuck did I leave him out].

Have to add Hughes to that fab four Timbo, incredible player..back to back League & European cup successes, how many players can you say that about on these shores?!
Barnes & Souness too!
McDermott..scorer of the finest goal I have ever seen doesn't get a look in..so many to choose from but this one at 1.18 into this clip stands head & shoulders above the rest.
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ</a>

Ray Kennedy..Wow, Cally..unbelievable..Sir Roger..Keegan..Liddell..Heighway..Thompson (both)..Jockey..Clem & Yeats..

How do you leave players like those out?
Even the likes of Nicol & Whelan, vastly underrated players who were outstanding..
Almost impossible Timbo but you gotta go for it!
Fuck me I missed Virgil off that list.. ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:10:25 pm by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2020, 01:16:55 pm »
Special player, phenomenal goals, great vid (except it sends your eyes a bit gozzy!)

Was expecting it to finish on the 7th v Spurs.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2020, 03:33:45 pm »
indeed, particularly from a list that's missing Terry Mac and Ray Kennedy to name but two
:thumbup

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2020, 06:02:01 pm »
I know this is for a project but anyone been divying up who's been picked the most?

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2020, 09:55:53 pm »
I know this is for a project but anyone been divying up who's been picked the most?

I think I remember a team without the king in it! Maybe Stevie, don’t seem to remember anyone leaving him out.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2020, 10:22:16 pm »
79 title winning side with Rush in for David Johnson.  So,
                 Clemence
Neal    Hansen    Thompson   Hughes
Case   Sounness  MacDermot   Kennedy
          Dalglish    Rush

Bob Paisley as manager. 

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2020, 10:33:15 pm »
I think I remember a team without the king in it! Maybe Stevie, don’t seem to remember anyone leaving him out.
I noticed the other day that SG had been left out by quite a few (on this page)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:36:53 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2020, 10:38:27 pm »
79 title winning side with Rush in for David Johnson.  So,
                 Clemence
Neal    Hansen    Thompson   Hughes
Case   Sounness  MacDermot   Kennedy
          Dalglish    Rush

Bob Paisley as manager. 
Now that’s a side.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2020, 11:39:07 pm »
I noticed the other day that SG had been left out by quite a few (on this page)

Quite shocking that!

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2020, 12:17:40 am »
I would go for:

Alisson

TAA ----- Hansen ---- VVD --- Robertson

Souness ---- Gerrard

Dalglish (C)

Suarez --------- Rush ---------- Barnes

Online Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2020, 12:21:05 am »
----- Dalglish Suarez

Liddell Souness Molby Salah

Kennedy Hansen Lawrenson Neal

----------- Clemence

Great to see someone choose Big Jan. Put him in my side, then noticed I had 11 outfield players. It was a tough choice to pick between him and Henderson and Alonso.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2020, 12:44:38 am »
As a (relatively) younger supporter, I've seen a lot of these over the years that have been pretty much mostly players from the 80s + 1 or 2 others.

I'm somewhat surprised that now, with a team that's running away with the league - and certainly our best team since the 80s, that's not changed much.

The one that surprises me the most is that TAA's barely had a mention, and he's doing ridiculous things that RBs have never done before.

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2020, 12:57:33 am »
Have to add Hughes to that fab four Timbo, incredible player..back to back League & European cup successes, how many players can you say that about on these shores?!
Barnes & Souness too!
McDermott..scorer of the finest goal I have ever seen doesn't get a look in..so many to choose from but this one at 1.18 into this clip stands head & shoulders above the rest.
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ</a>

Ray Kennedy..Wow, Cally..unbelievable..Sir Roger..Keegan..Liddell..Heighway..Thompson (both)..Jockey..Clem & Yeats..

How do you leave players like those out?
Even the likes of Nicol & Whelan, vastly underrated players who were outstanding..
Almost impossible Timbo but you gotta go for it!
Fuck me I missed Virgil off that list.. ::)

That Spurs away FA Cup QF goal is a thing of beauty. A bit of a mad day out apparantly too. Some of the older lads I know reckon after the game getting back to Euston was like the Warriors trying to get back to Coney.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:59:22 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2020, 06:55:01 am »
Ali
Kennedy VVD Hansen TAA
Souness Alonso Gerrard
Mane Kenny Suarez
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2020, 07:36:53 am »
As a (relatively) younger supporter, I've seen a lot of these over the years that have been pretty much mostly players from the 80s + 1 or 2 others.

I'm somewhat surprised that now, with a team that's running away with the league - and certainly our best team since the 80s, that's not changed much.

The one that surprises me the most is that TAA's barely had a mention, and he's doing ridiculous things that RBs have never done before.

Completely understand that as I went for Alisson over Clemence, both unbelievable 'keepers & it was tough overlooking Clem's list of honours but Alisson edged it.
Phil Neal..8 titles,4 European cups..just for starters & was nicknamed Zico,maybe a hint of sarcasm in that..questionable..,pretty much had it all too.

That Spurs away FA Cup QF goal is a thing of beauty. A bit of a mad day out apparantly too. Some of the older lads I know reckon after the game getting back to Euston was like the Warriors trying to get back to Coney.

Aye when I mention in conversation Terry Mc's is my favourite goal that is the one they overlook!
It's usually that headed goal with the sublime build up play or the one vs Everton which also won goal of the season.
Spurs home or away was always daunting,them & Chelsea over the years were the only shithouses I was unlucky enough to have been confronted with a knife.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2020, 07:42:27 am »
I would go for:

Alisson

TAA ----- Hansen ---- VVD --- Robertson

Souness ---- Gerrard

Dalglish (C)

Suarez --------- Rush ---------- Barnes
As an 80s/more recent combo goes, that’s hard to beat. Well.....it would be VERY hard to beat if you had the misfortune of lining up against them!!!

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2020, 02:52:25 pm »
Completely understand that as I went for Alisson over Clemence, both unbelievable 'keepers & it was tough overlooking Clem's list of honours but Alisson edged it.
Phil Neal..8 titles,4 European cups..just for starters & was nicknamed Zico,maybe a hint of sarcasm in that..questionable..,pretty much had it all too.

Aye when I mention in conversation Terry Mc's is my favourite goal that is the one they overlook!
It's usually that headed goal with the sublime build up play or the one vs Everton which also won goal of the season.
Spurs home or away was always daunting,them & Chelsea over the years were the only shithouses I was unlucky enough to have been confronted with a knife.

Got legged at Spurs in 86/87. Kin ell there was about 3 coach loads of us and mainly young lads and arl fellas. I was at the front just walking towards the ground and a pub emptied out . Sone fat fucker walked towards me with a big glass bottle and said ' Where ya goin Scarse ' I had get right on my toes . Shit meself.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline redboxingyeti

• Main Stander
  • Jurgen Believer
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2020, 03:07:18 pm »
My own, had to shift Emlyn out to the left but couldn't leave him out.
Big Virg, Thommo, Smith, Yeats - all as good if not better than Lawro, but felt the Hansen/Lawro partnership was too good to split up.
Same with Kenny and Rushie

Clemence
Neal
Hansen
Lawro
Hughes
Gerrard
Souness
R Kennedy
Barnes
Rush
Dalglish

Subs have to include Terry Mac & Robbie Fowler

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2020, 03:23:52 pm »
Starting XI

Alisson
TAA Hansen VVD Hughes
     Gerrard Alonso
           Firmino
Suarez Dalglish  Mane

Bench

Clemence
Robertson
Tommy Smith
Milner
Barnes
Rush   

*** Ball Boys - Harvey Elliott & Curtis Jones
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:21:10 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2020, 04:29:14 pm »
Souness?  Keep amending it Timbo and you/we might get there ;D

You know what Misty. I've given it some thought since and discussed it with a few mates. Both of them added Emlyn to the mix of "those you simply cannot leave out" and I can see why they and Medillin say that. They both wanted him at centre back and as innovative and fantastic as he proved to be in that position I think there's five above him in that role. I suppose you'd then put him at left back which is where he used to play for Blackpool and for England and occasionally for us. It's also where I've always put him whenever I've done one of these things in the past and it used to kill me to leave out Gerry Byrne for Emlyn in that position as Gerry for me was a huge favourite and will always be above the likes of Lindsey, Barney and Riise in that role. But right now I think Robbo pips him in that position. Even if in his last few games he's not been at his best, he's shown enough for me both defensively and offensively these past few seasons to just about get his nose in front of Gerry and Emlyn in that position.

And that left back position is about the only one where I can make a definitive selection - other than standing by my "unleavable out four" of Tommy Smith, Kenny, Stevie and Rushie. For every other position there's just so much competition that the task becomes impossible. I mean take the remaining centre back position. How do I choose between Yeatsy, Thommo, Jocky, Lawro,  Sami and Virgil to partner Smithy? With a gun to my head I'd probably opt for Virgil - but you simply cannot not select any of the other five.

So there you go. And to make it even more impossible than impossible, I'm now on reflection gravitating towards thinking that my 'unleavable out' four should actually become an 'unleavable out 8' with Keegan, Liddell, Barnesy and Suarez shoehorned in. Or maybe an 'unleavable 12' with Souey, Mane, Salah and Bobby!

As I said in my original post. An utterly impossible task.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »
Starting XI

Alisson
Neal Hansen VVD Hughes
     Gerrard Alonso
           Firmino
Suarez Dalglish  Mane

Bench

Clemence
Hyypia
TAA
Milner
Barnes
Rush   

*** Ball Boys - Harvey Elliott & Curtis Jones

Hiya John lad. Nice team. All ok?

But you see, there's a selection problem there right away for me.

Many like yourself have opted for Phil at right back and nobody can argue with the fact that Phil Neal was a fine player and an incredible servant for us. At times he was virtually a superb attacking right midfielder linking defence and attack. Also his medal haul is off the scale. But for me no way would I have him as the right back in an all time eleven.

Thing is, anyone who hasn't got Smithy as centre back simply has to have Smithy as right back way above Phil, even albeit that Smithy was not the player he had been at centre back when he was moved to right back. Then there's Chris Lawler - again a more accomplished full back than Phil and one who apart from his defensive solidity scored an unfeasible 50 plus goals from open play. Then Rob Jones who was again for me a superior full back robbed by injury of the sort of fruition to his career his early play for us so promised. We then have the incredulous Trent who is currently doing things with a football most notably 60 yard exocet crossfield passes that Phil - bless him - wouldn't even contemplate in his wildest dreams.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2020, 05:24:08 pm »
Lawrence

Jones    Gillespie   Matip    Byrne

Whelan  McMahon  Heighway

St John   Toshack   Beardsley

Sub: Super Sub

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2020, 06:04:07 pm »
4-4-2:

Alisson

Neal, Hansen, Virg, Robertson
Mcmanaman, Gerrard, Souness, Barnes
Dalgish, Rush.

Based on a three-pint lunch, players I've seen and not a lot more.

EDIT - Mane > Macca - I blame the beer

Firmino for McManaman. Trent for Neal.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline QuincyME

• Boys Pen
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2020, 09:58:01 pm »
Shouldn't the subs lists contain Davy Fairclough?

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2020, 10:17:53 pm »
Hiya John lad. Nice team. All ok?

But you see, there's a selection problem there right away for me.

Many like yourself have opted for Phil at right back and nobody can argue with the fact that Phil Neal was a fine player and an incredible servant for us. At times he was virtually a superb attacking right midfielder linking defence and attack. Also his medal haul is off the scale. But for me no way would I have him as the right back in an all time eleven.

Thing is, anyone who hasn't got Smithy as centre back simply has to have Smithy as right back way above Phil, even albeit that Smithy was not the player he had been at centre back when he was moved to right back. Then there's Chris Lawler - again a more accomplished full back than Phil and one who apart from his defensive solidity scored an unfeasible 50 plus goals from open play. Then Rob Jones who was again for me a superior full back robbed by injury of the sort of fruition to his career his early play for us so promised. We then have the incredulous Trent who is currently doing things with a football most notably 60 yard exocet crossfield passes that Phil - bless him - wouldn't even contemplate in his wildest dreams.

Al, good to read your posts mate.  Its been awhile hasn't it?  Doing well in a new city (DC area) but its early doors.

As far as this project, you are spot on about it being an impossible task --- the 5-10 minutes I spent on it is regrettable not for the task but for the time commitment.   Like you, I had a few "have to put in" players (Alisson, Dalglish, VVD, Firmino, Gerrard).
I really wanted Bobby in this team even though Rushie, Barnes, God, and Souness would have to make way.

In thinking about your comments, I am sure that I am limited in my marking back picks --->  and Tommy Smith really does belong, along with Robertson comparatively - impossible task.   I like Hughes versatility, which is why I picked him (could play 3-5-2 and not go with Neal at all)
And I picked Phil Neal because he was the winningest Red of the lot.  I am sure I missed a great deal of comparative understanding here being born in 1969 and beginning my support of the Reds in 1982 (living in the States). 

I thought about Trent (one of my favorite lads) too, but I thought longevity might be an issue for me (as VVD, Mane and Bobby Firmino have some European club experience).

So in recapping, I think I'll change my bench from Hyypia to Tommy Smith, replace Neal with Robertson and keep Hughes because he could play CB or LB and Start/Switch TAA for Neal.   

Could not bring myself to add Mascherano or Souness at DM -- It might cost me mate :)

How are you doing?  Send me a PM and we'll catch up! 

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:22:04 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer